• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TokuGAF -Tokusatsu (Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, etc.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaeger

e0BTzl4.png

For those of us here who enjoy our Saturday morning henshin soldiers and warriors. Long history of bringing action to the small and big screen, and smiles to kids worldwide. Having it's roots in Japanese theater, and later films (Kaiju), and even inspired by American Comic Books in different areas. Even Marvel got caught up in the Toku fever back in the 70's!

Haim Saban is a genuious, and brought over Super Sentai as the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers in the early 90's, seeing the potential for the Toku programs to be successful in the states. And attempted the same with Kamen Rider and Metal Heroes, as Masked Rider and VR Troopers respectively. Only the Power Rangers franchise, survived up until, now.

Tokusatsu can be broken up into several catergories of shows, all with long running franchises (for the most part). Theres 4, with several other shows that borrow a bit from each one, and so fourth.

Super Sentai (1975-Current)
Kamen Rider (1971-Current)
Ultraman (1966 - Current)
Metal Heroes (1982-1999)

Current Series Airing on Super Hero Time

YOP9QgA.jpg

Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger (獣電戦隊キョウリュウジャー Jūden Sentai Kyōryūjā) Final Episode airs this Sunday, 48 Total.

OpDU5Lo.png

Kamen Rider Gaim (仮面ライダー鎧武(ガイム) Kamen Raidā Gaimu) Currently on Episode 17.

--
I'll edit and add to this original post as time goes on.
-

Art by Toru Nakayama of the Mega Man Zero franchise.

I am currently watching the Kamen Rider Kiva series. I love the gothic/vampire/Hollywood Monster theme, and the enemy design is very interesting. I put it off for few years, cause I'm weird like that. I'm also watching Kyoryuger. It has been a fun ride. The Dino themed Sentai are always awesome.

My personal favorite Toku series is Kamen Rider Kabuto. Slowing down, and stopping time is da best. Za Wurdo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom