• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |JanFeb17| Super Saiyan Please?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
EcjkTw5.gif

Okay so the TOMmy Awards are edited. Now it's a question of putting it into video form and throwing it up on Youtube, so they'll be uploaded within the week. I might throw them up on archive.org for download if I can remember how to do that. They'll be broken up like this:

Part One: 2 hours and 39 minutes
-Best Dub
-Best Weapon/Technique
-Best/Worst Moment
-Best Dressed

Part Two: 2 hours and 13 minutes
-Best Opening or Ending
-Best/Worst Soundtrack
-Best Promo
-Best/Worst Looking
-Best Fight
-Best Cast
-Biggest Disappointment

Part Three: 1 hour and 36 minutes
-Biggest Surprise
-Best Name
-Best/Worst Character
-Best/Worst Storyline
-Best Voice Performance
-Best/Worst Show

I'll post results when everything's all uploaded.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
the third ToonamiGAF awards better have Best Dressed as a category, because that's brilliant

It'd go straight to Brook, year after year. Who else would win it? Who else could win it? Well, JoJo this year but that's the only other series that could steal the crown.

the third ToonamiGAF awards better have Best Dressed as a category, because that's brilliant

it actually ended up being our most contentious category because there's no semi-objective basis to build from so the deliberation process was kind of insane

though you guys vote and we don't so that probably cuts down on some of the bullshit

also WE FORGOT TO NOMINATE BROOK AND DID NOT REALIZE IT UNTIL LATER IN PART 2

Crocodile

It'd go straight to Brook, year after year. Who else would win it? Who else could win it? Well, JoJo this year but that's the only other series that could steal the crown.

I mean at some point, doesn't Jojo start sweeping this award (if we get future parts on the block)?

I read a bunch of Supernatural Detective Neuro when I was younger until the translations ran out, and finding out that Assassination Classroom was by the same guy is what got me interested in it.

And by that I mean I went from "I guess I'll read this sometime" to "I gotta read this as soon as possible", because even if I didn't get to finish it, Neuro blew my mind, yo.

I need to finish Neuro someday, and read Assassination Classroom.

Neuro's manga was really good, it deserved a better anime adaptation. One of my favorite clever things it does when it turns into an action series is that at the start, Neuro is super powerful and can easily defeat everyone, but his time in the human world is actually weakening him. Thus, he's forced to use more and more powerful attacks against later enemies because his base strength has gotten lower, in addition to the enemies being stronger.

cntr

Banned
also thanks for reminding me that I need to go listen through the Toonami Show Rundown, I've been putting it off too long

cntr

Banned
the chances of us not getting the future parts are pretty low

edit: this is a weirdly long conversation about superhero movies, like 8 minutes and counting

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
hahahahahaha, omg

So while I was thinking of how silly Papenbrook's Italian accent is for Caesar, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if WB brought him back & told the other actors to do italian accents as well for Part
5 & Giorno + company
(not sure why I'm hiding that, but meh).

I mean at some point, doesn't Jojo start sweeping this award (if we get future parts on the block)?
Part 3 has a very strong chance of happening eventually (it's more of when at the moment since I doubt they'd go right into it after Part 2 finishes), but it's Part 4 I wonder about.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
But but reddit says the ratings are so low and it's all JimJam's fault.

(Ignoring the fact that TOONAMI is up to 4, soon to be 4.5 hours of first run* content now that gets great ratings for its timeslot)

*GITS in HD counts!

cntr

Banned
Bang Zoom did the Part 1 and 2 dubs, but the dub and English disc release had enough issues that Viz is doing the future seasons. so I wouldn't expect them to accent it up again

Viz already has dubs announced for both SDC and DiU, and I wouldn't be surprised if SDC was being planned as a Toonami dub premier. And after that, why not premier DiU too?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Bang Zoom did the Part 1 and 2 dubs, but the dub and English disc release had enough issues that Viz is doing the future seasons. so I wouldn't expect them to accent it up again

Viz already has dubs announced for both SDC and DiU, and I wouldn't be surprised if SDC was being planned as a Toonami dub premier. And after that, why not premier DiU too?
Yeah, based on what we heard from the Part 3 test dub, accents are going away, which I'm fine with. They're cheesy & can make certain lines even more silly, but certain actors just can't pull it off.

I can easily see Part 3 being a Toonami dub premiere, but it still would be nice to hear when the hell Parts 1 & 2 are getting the Blu-Ray releases. Kind of hoped/figured once they finished their run on Toonami, we'd get more details.

Part 4's dub cast is going to be interesting. Though I have a feeling we're gonna be waiting a while since we still have little info about Part 3's dub aside from "it's happening & here's about 6 VAs confirmed"

cntr

Banned
Toriko's like, ok, the main character has an attack where he uses his hands like a fork and you can go "okay, your hand is shaped like a fork I guess, and it's a metaphorical fork", then he starts wrapping the fork around his body as a shield and you go "wait, what? wasn't that a metaphor?", and then people start using their fire powers to melt the metal off these metaphorical hand-forks and it's total nonsensical bullshit and it's great.

One thing that stood out to me from someone I 'overheard' talking about Toriko is that there's an elderly-woman character you literally should not stand near - otherwise your body will cease to be

cntr

Banned
"Do [Gohan and Chichi] have, like, farmland? They might be able to get a reduction in property tax with that."
"What is this?"
"What has this podcast become?"

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
The Sonic Boom cartoon apparently doesn't give a fuck.
"They never should've changed the color of his legs"

HAHAHAHAHAHA, hot damn. I also love the part in Sonic Generations when you meet the Genesis era Robotnik & after Tails says "Dr. Robotnik!", he replies "Nobody calls me that anymore", which was just icing on the fanservice cake.

I'll also admit there's another great 4th wall joke I learned via a podcast. Though I don't know if I want to bother checking the show out, I've heard "it's okay, actually better than expected" to "uuggghhh" reactions. As much as I enjoyed Adventures of... & SATAM as a kid, I also hated Sonic Underground & Sonic X was fine, even if I felt Chris was a pointless addition.

Seda

Was episode 6 of super the first time the plot actually confirmed Vegeta and Bulma are (supposedly) married?

Just curious.

cntr

Banned
from what I know, Super gives Vegeta a ton of character development and makes it a lot clearer than Z that he actually loves his wife and kid

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
They also confirm it in the Battle of Gods movie, though they slightly change one of the lines you hear in the promo.

"...to my Bulma" was originally "...to my wife". I don't know why Funimation, considering Super is basically retelling the Battle of Gods events, changed some of the dialogue when they could just use some of the script from the film.

Seda

They also confirm it in the Battle of Gods movie, though they slightly change one of the lines you hear in the promo.

"...to my Bulma" was originally "...to my wife". I don't know why Funimation, considering Super is basically retelling the Battle of Gods events, changed some of the dialogue when they could just use some of the script from the film.

In the episode 7 promo anyway, Vegeta's mouth movement there looks indicates two syllables. (They probably could have reworded the sentence in some way to keep wife, but the short answer is 'mouth flaps, probably')

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Fair enough answer. I'd have to rewatch the scene from BoG to see if that was the only change to the sentence, maybe more of it was different than I remember.

cntr

Banned
oh and by the way doctor decimate

After War Gundam X was pretty fucking legit, yo. Especially Garrod! he's like the anti-Banagher.

edit: it's kind of amazing how the podcast lost steam after that Gundam discussion, lol

and you guys completely forgot to discuss the whole Gon and Mito thing!

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
speaking of char &/or Gundam, look what Club Nintendo had at one point:

There was also a wired version, which was only available via a gundam console set in Japan. The Wavebird version is super rare, as only 1,000 were produced, & you had to register a code for Mobile Suit Gundam: Gundam Vs. Zeta Gundam just to be allowed to purchase said controller with your points.

Seda

Is it a reach to say most all of the Gundam franchise is bad, and what quality does come out of it are aberrations?

cntr

Banned
Is it a reach to say most all of the Gundam franchise is bad, and what quality does come out of it are aberrations?
Most stuff pre-SEED tends to be good, though that depends on how well you can tolerate old writing.

But yeah, ever since Wing and SEED set the tone, Gundam shows have been pretty bad. And the shows that I consider good aren't that good.
With the exception of G Gundam!

Moaradin

Out of all the Gundam shows I've seen:

Good:
Gundam Build Fighters
G Gundam (though I've only seen like 10 episodes)
Iron Blooded Orphans

Not so good:
Reconguista in G
Unicorn

Basically, I've liked all the alternative universe stuff and haven't really liked any of the UC stuff.

cntr

Banned
IBO's a bit weird, since the second season is apparently pretty good...because it was originally meant to be a single season 30-ish episode show, but since Sunrise wanted more money, it became a two season show.

So the Dort and Brewer arcs were basically filler arcs written at the last minute since everything they planned to to do could only happen in Season 2.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Based on IBO & Unicorn so far, I might have to agree with you. I kind of figured it wasn't my type of series due to all the political crap (though I still think G-Gundam would be up my alley & Build Fighters might be alright since it's basically just Gundam toys fighting each other, meaning no space politics), but seeing the general consensus so far on Unicorn makes me feel a bit better that it's not just me "not getting it".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom