• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MarApr17| Brought to you by Arby's and Old Spice

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having seen the first three episodes of Tokyo Ghoul a couple of years ago, I can't recall much of TG other than the fact some woman turned him into a ghoul and that people told me to either drop it or read the manga.

So yeah, all good signs going into this.

cntr

Banned
From what I know, Tokyo Ghoul S1 adapts 66 chapters into 12 episodes, changes the beginning, changes the ending, leaves out several bits of critical information to understand the plot and setting, completely changes the main character's personality to make him a generic shounen hero instead, and rewrites several scenes and other characters. Season 2 is entirely anime original.

So.

Grexeno

From what I know, Tokyo Ghoul S1 adapts 66 chapters into 12 episodes, changes the beginning, changes the ending, leaves out several bits of critical information to understand the plot and setting, completely changes the main character's personality to make him a generic shounen hero instead, and rewrites several scenes and other characters. Season 2 is entirely anime original.

So.
Are we about to get Dimension W but so bad you can't make yourself forget it exists?

cntr

Banned
Are we about to get Dimension W but so bad you can't make yourself forget it exists?
Imagine if Pierrot adapted Hellsing, but had the plot rewritten by the guys who write the filler for Shippuden.

That's what Tokyo Ghoul seems to be.

Moaradin

The first season of Tokyo Ghoul isn't even that good hate watch potential. It has good ideas but it's mostly disappointing because of the execution, but nothing that I think is worth watching just to make fun of.

The second season on the other hand...

cntr

Banned
Because audiences demanded it, not even joking about that either.
I thought about why people would want shows like this and Akame ga Kill, and decided on a plausible explanation.

They're basically the 2010s equivalent of Gantz.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I thought about why people would want shows like this and Akame ga Kill, and decided on a plausible explanation.

They're basically the 2010s equivalent of Gantz.

Edgelord programming certainly does well on the block; all the way back to Deadman Wonderland.

Puruzi

Banned
At least we'll be getting shows like Mob Psycho, Lupin III, and Stardust Crusaders in the near future!

But if we don't deserve good shows I shudder to think of the bad shows we might get because of these good ones.

I'm not sure if I think SDC is good. It's kinda middling and stretched out. Not bad or anything, just kinda boring often

cntr

Banned
Stardust Crusaders is a bit slow, but it's pretty fun once you get used to it. And like Phantom Blood but moreso, it's a perfect group watch show.

Moaradin

My opinion of Stardust Crusaders is a bit lowered after watching Part 4, since it did practically everything better, but I had a fun enough time watching it the first time.

cntr

Banned
That would be awesome.
Mob Psycho and Lupin III have to be in the works (it'd be kind of weird to hold a poll and not have the shows planned), and after 3 years of waiting for it, I can't see Stardust Crusaders not dub premiering on Toonami.

So it's gonna happen.

Seda

Eh last summer/fall the line up was pretty great, probably the best toonami has been. I can deal with a Unicorn or Tokyo Ghoul here and there.

Semi related: I actually, in a weird way, kinda enjoy watching or playing bad shows/games occassionally. Makes you appreciate the quality stuff more and I like to actually be able to articulate why something is "bad" rather than just avoiding it outright and saying "it's bad".

That said I'm having a hard time continuing my UC Gundam watch. Both because of time and because I'm finding it incredibly dull in general.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Eh last summer/fall the line up was pretty great, probably the best toonami has been. I can deal with a Unicorn or Tokyo Ghoul here and there.

Semi related: I actually, in a weird way, kinda enjoy watching or playing bad shows/games occassionally. Makes you appreciate the quality stuff more and I like to actually be able to articulate why something is "bad" rather than just avoiding it outright and saying "it's bad".

That said I'm having a hard time continuing my UC Gundam watch. Both because of time and because I'm finding it incredibly dull in general.

A good hatewatch can be entertaining in its own way, which is why Gundam Unicorn is so infuriating, it is so boring, it sucks out most of the energy of the collective.

It makes me sad to hear Tales of Berseria is apparently the worst tales game.

cntr

Banned
What is going to be really depressing is if Tokyo Ghoul raises ratings for the middle portion of the block.
That's a bit vindictive.

I'm honestly not too bothered by the whole Tokyo Ghoul thing. I mean, I'll probably skip it yeah, but it's not something that makes me angry or upset. At worst, it's a bit bad that a decent series is going to get its name trashed by a bad adaptation, but that's not a huge deal.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It's still a weird thing to say. Especially since "the middle block" is Jojo and HxH.

I do not think so so considering One Piece got shitcanned and Gundam Unicorn is getting demoted and the heads also said the line up "needs freshening up" recently.

cntr

Banned
I just find it weird to wish failure on a show simply because it's bad. Especially since that would end up affecting Hunter x Hunter and Jojo.

And One Piece got dropped for more reasons than just ratings, you know.

Tonight's episode of Super might be the slowest episode in the series.

I mean this.

You could potentially mistake this episode for a parody.

Raxus

Even going slow as molasses I still find Super pretty fun. This is largely thanks to Beerus and Whis IMO.

Super gets exponentially better once we get off movie retellings.

Those are my "hot takes"

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I just find it weird to wish failure on a show simply because it's bad. Especially since that would end up affecting Hunter x Hunter and Jojo.

And One Piece got dropped for more reasons than just ratings, you know.

Each show seems be weighed on their individual merit though, Hunter X Hunter and Jojo stay where they are for the other coin of that.

cntr

Banned
Each show seems be weighed on their individual merit though, Hunter X Hunter and Jojo stay where they are for the other coin of that.
I guess, but nicer to have HxH and Jojo be better successes even if that means people coming to watch TG. And hey, if some people out there enjoy TG, good for them.

...plus, I get the feeling Tokyo Ghoul isn't a show Demarco and the others at Toonami are super into. It was their first choice as an emergency replacement show for One Piece. They could have gone for Lupin III, which would've been a better show, but it also would've gotten the lack of promotion and general rushedness that TG is getting too.

Since they threw TG to that fate and will eventually give Lupin a proper premier instead, that kinda says stuff about their relative opinion of those shows.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
I guess, but nicer to have HxH and Jojo be better successes even if that means people coming to watch TG. And hey, if some people out there enjoy TG, good for them.

...plus, I get the feeling Tokyo Ghoul isn't a show Demarco and the others at Toonami are super into. It was their first choice as an emergency replacement show for One Piece. They could have gone for Lupin III, which would've been a better show, but it also would've gotten the lack of promotion and general rushedness that TG is getting too.

Since they threw TG to that fate and will eventually give Lupin a proper premier instead, that kinda says stuff about their relative opinion of those shows.

I did notice that yes but in spite of my loathing of the program I still expect Tokyo Ghoul to flourish. It is the kind of show that is just part of the landscape so long as it gets the ratings.

Seda

Really? I've haven't played it yet but I gathered it was a bit of a rebound from Zestiria (which is probably the worst I've played and I've played most of them) and the painfully average Xillias.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Tonight on Toonami, a wounded Jack is surrounded by the six remaining Daughters of Aku, Goku and Beerus continue their battle but the integrity of the universe is coming apart at the seams in the wake of their powers, KFC faces more death and sand whales, Krillin opens the tournament with his match while Piccolo draws the mysterious Shin as his opponent, Jojo faces off against Wamuu in a vampire chariot deathmatch, Ken Kaneki gets involved with a mysterious young woman but her sinister secret will change his life forever as Tokyo Ghoul joins the Toonami family, the mafia's Shadow Beasts move in to take on Uvogin but is their combined power enough to bring down the Phantom Troupe's powerhouse, Banagher tries to stop Loni's rampage while Riddhe enters the fray to end the killing and bring back the Unicorn Gundam, Naruto's filler arc comes to an end as Utakata reveals the power inside of him (which doesn't go unnoticed by the Akatsuki), and one of the Major's sexytime friends tips her off about some shady dealings involving organ transplants that Section 9 believes may be tied to a string of kidnappings.

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 12 - The Universe Will Shatter? Clash! Destroyer vs. Super Saiyan God!
11:00 - Samurai Jack - 55 - XCIV
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 12 - The Universe Will Shatter? Clash! Destroyer vs. Super Saiyan God!
12:00 - Sand Whale and Me - 2 - Day 2 - Search and Destroy
12:05 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 110 - What Happened, Piccolo? An Unexpected Outcome in the First Round
12:30 - JoJo's Bizarre Adventure - 22 - A True Warrior
1:00 - Tokyo Ghoul - 1 - Tragedy
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 44 - Buildup × To A × Fierce Battle
2:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 12 - A Private War
2:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 151 - Master and Student
3:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 8 - MISSING HEARTS

I've heard it's a step in the right direction from some people. Some say it's their favorite Tales game. Far as reviews go, it's in the upper 70s, which is where Tales normally stays far as review scores go. A step up from Zestiria, where most people say it was better to just watch the anime instead of playing the game. That's the impression I've gotten from people and from some footage I've seen. The only reason I haven't gotten it yet is Zestiria disappointed me and there were other games coming out at the time for me to get like Yakuza 0.

I still have to get Gravity Rush 2 as well.

ckohler

Even going slow as molasses I still find Super pretty fun. This is largely thanks to Beerus and Whis IMO.

Super gets exponentially better once we get off movie retellings.

Those are my "hot takes"
I'm in the same boat. Super is pretty entertaining reguardless of it somewhat dragging. Hearing it only gets better is nice.

Josh5890

I do not think so so considering One Piece got shitcanned and Gundam Unicorn is getting demoted and the heads also said the line up "needs freshening up" recently.

If they want to make the lineup fresh then why did they decide to run two Dragon Ball series in the lineup at the same time?

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
If they want to make the lineup fresh then why did they decide to run two Dragon Ball series in the lineup at the same time?

I can actually answer this, only choice that could work given the timing. Can't leave The Final Chapters on the cutting room floor nor could they leave the new series hanging on the vine for the competition so why not grab them both. Expect this to happen with the Boruito anime eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom