• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.
can I just say how fucking sad it is that there's a gundam show on here with gorgeous animation and nobody (myself included) gives a single fuck about it? what a disappointment, shit.

Yeah...imagine if the music and animation used characters from IBO. Now that would be great.

cntr

Banned
I have to question the effectiveness of using a shotgun in space.
Modern guns do work in space. They're technically even better since there's no friction in a vacuum, so they have infinite range.

Why did Gundam have to introduce space psychics? Are giant robots with giant guns missiles and lasers and giant swords not enough?
The original Gundam was a rip-off of a Heinlein-style science fiction story but with giant robots, so it included psychics out of genre requirements.

But then it seriously got out of hand because Japanese fiction's stupid about that.

Frankly, while Togashi's a great writer, he's not very good at making comics. He leans too much into words and doesn't take enough advantage of the art, so the panelling and flow isn't great.

The anime makes up for it with the animation and direction, and it really does work. (Watching it for the first time too.)

I suppose so. Although, I own all the Yu Yu Hakusho volumes and those flow fine for me. Perhaps it just got worse over time.

Actually, that's most assuredly the case considering where Togashi ended up. So yeah, its the anime for me.

Why did Gundam have to introduce space psychics? Are giant robots with giant guns missiles and lasers and giant swords not enough?

If I recall correctly, the writer was forced to make a protagonist a teenager so he tried to come up with an in-story justification for how a Teenager could actually pilot on par with adult soldiers. Newtypes were born.

And like most action anime, the abilities of Newtypes continued to get more absurd with each new installment.

Frankly, while Togashi's a great writer, he's not very good at making comics. He leans too much into words and doesn't take enough advantage of the art, so the panelling and flow isn't great.

The anime makes up for it with the animation and direction, and it really does work. (Watching it for the first time too.)

Every now and then I like his varied use of facial expressions and linework...dunno much else to say, though. He really needs another artist's assistance

The actual thing to influence me in doing my own drawings is JoJo, though

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Oh, that's our F* Riddhe moment, eh? DOH! We were so close to having a Puru survive!

It's pretty clear at this point that you just don't like the show. Maybe stop watching it? I don't think it's gonna change your mind this far in.

How could I sketch any of it if I don't watch it? It's free anime... and I do like to keep up on a show I've heard about for years, when given an easy way to do so.

Those who remain call out how much they dislike parts of Gundam week in and out, I'm just calling out how shallow some of the mechanics of HxH can be. Why give a free pass to a popular show that's overemploying a samey mechanic? Are we only allowed to talk about ones the group finds lacking?

I just rarely feel like I've seen an anime over-push a group strengths so blatantly. And the show's death boner is so juvenile. I could take what they're trying to hint at a lot more to heart, if they'd stop trying to overdo how dramatically they sell killing.

cntr

Banned
Those who remain call out how much they dislike parts of Gundam week in and out, I'm just calling out how shallow some of the mechanics of HxH can be. Why give a free pass to a popular show that's overemploying a samey mechanic? Are we only allowed to talk about ones the group finds lacking?
To be honest, it comes across like you're annoyed people don't like Unicorn, so you're deliberately trying to rile people up about Hunter x Hunter instead.

I mean, you don't make posts like you do for HxH for shows like Tokyo Ghoul, do you?

And the show's death boner is so juvenile. I could take what they're trying to hint at a lot more to heart, if they'd stop trying to overdo how dramatically they sell killing.

Anime version or manga version, this is actually a problem I do have with Hunter X Hunter overall.

I keep making jokes to people about putting literal skeletons in your trash cans.

"Bro? BRO! Do you even put skeletons in your trash can bro?!"

Death is the number one thing that comes to mind when I think of Hunter X Hunter now. When the new chapters came out I'd always be like "Whose gonna die now?" and I'd always be right. It'd always be some new gruesome thing too. Walls of text and gruesome deaths.

That might be another reason why it's hard to be 100% on board like everyone else. I do like the show. I think its good but the problems it has just happen to be things that bother me more than others. I'm weird that way.

cntr

Banned
I...have no idea what you guys will think about Unicorn's ending.

It's universally agreed to be an immense pile of nonsense, even among people who like it.

I tried paying attention harder than ever before tonight and I still couldn't tell you what happened. Probably just didn't care hard enough.

Xe4

Banned
Wait, was that supposed to be a cliffhanger? Time for Naruto.
I swear I'm going to make it to GitS:SAC this week. I swear it.

Seda

I do agree it feels a bit odd that Hunter X Hunter had two mass murder events within ten episodes of each other.

Xe4

Banned
When they have to advertise to be a teacher, twice.
Nobody wants to be a teacher, especially now. And I say that as someone with two teachers as parents.

cntr

Banned
I do roll my eyes sometimes at how much Togashi likes people dying, but it doesn't bother me.

...god why does Shippuden have so much monotone voice acting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom