• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Toonami |MayJun17| WE ARE ROBOTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cntr

Banned
I love how expressive the Tachikoma are. Despite being literal robots.

"whatever occurs we won't ever forget Mr. Batou!"

Seda

PV1Z30k.png

cntr

Banned
This kind of philosophical discussion would be eye-rolling if spoken by normal humans, but it works because of how silly and childish the Tachikoma are. It's cool.

Morlas

Not like Naurto.

People like Shanks view Luffy attitude and way of thinking just like Rogers.

Luffy isn't destined to become the King and he won't be exactly like Roger.

Lufy most special trait is
king haki and voice of all things. Even so there are at least others in the verse like him with those abilities. Helps no real official explanation for stuff the makes Luffy special.

Most of Luffy powers are earned.

what's special about luffy is he's luffy basically not some destined child or anything he's just special because of who he is and who he's related to and they don't try to sugarcoat that.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Batou's expression basically summed up how I felt trying to understand this series when I was younger.

The fact the Tachikoma sees Kusanagi upside-down...I think that means they see things in the world as they really are?
I heard something about our vision displaying the world upside-down, meaning we may really be upside-down without comprehending it.

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
It's kind of surprising those giant tanks can somehow land quietly & not cause giant dents on the floor/ground

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Next week on Toonami:

8:00 - Dragon Ball Super - 19 - Despair Redux! The Return of the Evil Emperor, Frieza!
11:00 - Samurai Jack - 62 - CI - END
11:30 - Dragon Ball Super - 19 - Despair Redux! The Return of the Evil Emperor, Frieza!
12:00 - Dragon Ball Z Kai: The Final Chapters - 118 - Stunning Youngsters! No. 18's Uphill Battle
12:30 - Attack on Titan - 30 - Historia
1:00 - Tokyo Ghoul - 8 - Circular
1:30 - HUNTER×HUNTER - 52 - Assault × and × Impact
2:00 - Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - 20 - Laplace's Box
2:30 - Naruto Shippuden - 159 - Pain vs Kakashi
3:00 - Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex - 16 - Ag2O

Later.

Xe4

Banned
Samurai Jack: Fucking amazing episode. The second half was fucking amazing. I'm still not sure how they're going to finish it in 22 minutes, but I have a lot more faith after this episode. That last shot was insane, and I can't wait till two weeks from now. I hope they get an hour, frankly. This was my favorite episode of the night.

DB Super: Ehhhh. Ok episode. I'm not as big a fan as everyone else on Super. I guess I don't dig the plot as of right now, and the animation this episode was kind of weak.

DB Kai: Good enough episode. I really like the tournament part of it, so I'm glad the episode spent a while focusing on it. The rest was just ok, though I do like the interaction between Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, and the Kai.

AoT: Great episode. I loved the interaction between all of the different characters, and shit got super desperate at the end. Can't wait for the next episode. Makes me want to watch season 1 again, which is not something I thought it would make me want to do.

Tokyo Ghoul: zzzzzzz. So apparently a cop died, who we either hadn't met until this episode, or the show put no focus on. Hey show, if you want me to give a fuck about someone's death, maybe you should actually get me to care about the character instead of giving him 60 seconds of obvious exposition before you kill him.

Also, Toka is notoriously underused and underwritten. She's close to being a good character, but boy do they just cut any good parts that make you feel for her, and just focus on her being a dick and whiny teenager to everyone. Maybe the manga did it better.

HxH: Frankly great. The use of Requiem was fucking fantastic, and boy did it get dark at the end there. Shit is going to go down next episode. I got pissed off at Neon, but I think I was supposed to .

Gundam Unicorn:
wtzgU.gif

Naruto Shipuden:
aUbk9ha.gif

Mostly because I wasn't paying attention, though. I just want to get to the pain fight already.

GitS SAC: OMG, it's an episode that just focuses on Tachikoma, I fucking love it. Too bad about what they're planing to do to them. Kind of dark, actually. Nothing more to add, really.

Night ya'll

The fact the Tachikoma sees Kusanagi upside-down...I think that means they see things in the world as they really are?
I heard something about our vision displaying the world upside-down, meaning we may really be upside-down without comprehending it.

No, the way we view an image, our eyes see it upside down but your brain compensates and makes the correction. Everything is how you see it.

Seda

Why is MetatronM's Luffy avatar wearing a (old) Ducks shirt? Lose a bet? They don't even play in your Eastern conference.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
,,,because it eats into drawing time!

WVW69kUnZecU1ckP0V

ONE! ONE SKETCH! AH HAHAHA! (Might do more later).

Fair, HxH isn't objectively perfect, and I totally understand why someone wouldn't like it. But it's not objectively awful either, and chalking it up to "future blinders" is silly; I remember pretty much nothing about the series, and I'm enjoying what it does. And there's plenty of people watching the series for the first time, and they enjoy it.

I don't find it too silly. When things come up that seem silly about Nen, the fact that all rules are set and will come back to bit a character later often comes up. If you've seen further, it's just more fertilizer for what you know. If you're just seeing it now... it can be called out on being the same BS as any other "power level" style stuff.

Gundam stuff makes it so I'm hella surprised week in and out how hard to grasp "Newtype" can be to some people. I thought it was as... no, probably more iconic than Super Saiyan. I've had to reflect on the idea that Gundam isn't as digestible to even anime fans as I'd have thought.

History with a show can make one forgive or ignore aspects that others find annoying. Additionally in my case, so can a few lovable character designs. I think most of us block out or internally lessen undesirable stuff from shows, to make it easier for us to be able to enjoy them.

Your HxH posts are pretty confrontational, so I can't swallow that. Even if unintended.

And once the hatewatch is decided for a show, I feel like most opinions that come out are pretty confrontational, especially if you're one that enjoys the show. I don't feel like I'm treating HxH any more confrontational or harshly than a page full of "ZZZZ"s or such.

I feel a lot of the "OMG it'S SO CONFUSING!" stuff with Gundam is often overblown; it's no more confusing than many shows on this block.

Subtle commentary doesn't seem to get a reply or start a conversation, so maybe my opinion comes off a bit harsh for that purpoe.

I have no idea why so Japanese fictions gets off so much on destiny shit. Especially when they make the main characters special because their parents are special.

I've mentioned it back around the time Black Lagoon was on the air, but I think many Asian shows are really fascinated with the way a dead person can pass on their mission in life to a new generation, or a future loved one. This is normally used as a way to get away with otherwise pointless deaths; you can carry on the desires of the dead character into the next person.

I feel it's a similarly weird as making such a big deal out of Blood Types; but this kinda thematic element seems to be so strong, that it's expected that a viewer will "get it", even when not specifically stated.

I don't think it translates all that well, because I don't think western audiences find these ideas anyway near as interesting. But it's such a prevalent eastern trope, I feel it's as expected as, say, evil twins existing in soap operas.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So wait, what is airing after Jack ends? Anything?

The advance schedule shows Jack S5 rerunning again in the 11 slot, but that might not be accurate. The schedule doesn't seem to take into account the Jack marathon on Memorial Day weekend, for example.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom