• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2013 |OT| Celebrating 100 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris R

CxOjoRI.png

This year's Tour de France marks the 100th anniversary of the race started in 1903. This year the race will depart in Corsica for the first time, winding it's way across the French countryside until ending in Paris on the Champs-Élysées. The race will run from June 29th to July 21st covering 3,403km.

Last year's winner Bradley Wiggins will not be in the race this year due to injury, but his Team Sky team is still a strong contender with 2012 runner up Chris Froome now the early favorite. Other riders will be on his tail though, including Cadel Evans, Alberto Contador and Andy Schleck
well... not really, but I like Andy

The Route

The Details

1 Flat Saturday, June 29th Porto-Vecchio > Bastia 213 km
2 Medium-Mountain Sunday, June 30th Bastia > Ajaccio 156 km
3 Medium-Mountain Monday, July 1st Ajaccio > Calvi 145.5 km
4 Team time-trial Tuesday, July 2nd Nice > Nice 25 km
5 Flat Wednesday, July 3rd Cagnes-sur-Mer > Marseille 228.5 km
6 Flat Thursday, July 4th Aix-en-Provence > Montpellier 176.5 km
7 Medium-Mountain Friday, July 5th Montpellier > Albi 205.5 km
8 Mountain Saturday, July 6th Castres > Ax 3 Domaines 195 km
9 Mountain Sunday, July 7th Saint-Girons > Bagnères-de-Bigorre 168.5 km
- Rest day Monday, July 8th Saint-Nazaire - Loire-Atlantique
10 Flat Tuesday, July 9th Saint-Gildas-des-Bois > Saint-Malo 197 km
11 Individual time-trial Wednesday, July 10th Avranches > Mont-Saint-Michel 33 km
12 Flat Thursday, July 11th Fougères > Tours 218 km
13 Flat Friday, July 12th Tours > Saint-Amand-Montrond 173 km
14 Medium-Mountain Saturday, July 13th Saint-Pourçain-sur-Sioule > Lyon 191 km
15 Mountain Sunday, July 14th Givors > Mont Ventoux 242.5 km
- Rest day Monday, July 15th Vaucluse
16 Medium-Mountain Tuesday, July 16th Vaison-la-Romaine > Gap 168 km
17 Individual time-trial Wednesday, July 17th Embrun > Chorges 32 km
18 Mountain Thursday, July 18th Gap > Alpe-d’Huez 172.5 km
19 Mountain Friday, July 19th Bourg-d’Oisans > Le Grand-Bornand 204.5 km
20 Mountain Saturday, July 20th Annecy > Annecy - Semnoz 125 km
21 Flat Sunday, July 21st Versailles > Paris Champs-Élysées 133,5 km

(edit: I'll get this looking better later tonight)

Stages To Watch

For me, Stage 18 should be the best of the tour. Two climbs up L'Alpe d'Huez, in the same day. Two summits of L'Alpe d'Huez has only occurred once before in a Tour, and they were not in the same day. If this image showing the profile of the final part of the stage doesn't get you excited I don't know what will!

Links

Official Site of the Tour
2012 Thread
2011 Thread
2010 Thread

Others can feel free to add info as they see fit, I just thought it would be nice to have a thread up before the Tour starts tomorrow.

I love the tour, but have to admit it is hard to get as excited given all the scandal and rampant drug use.

Any news on changes to drug screening etc? Once they've cleaned up their act I'll be back into it.

Tugatrix

Is not 100 years :p , it's 100 editions, the 100 years commemoration was back in 2004 (if i'm not wrong)

edit: 2003 i went checking it

Can't wait! Looking forward to the race. Tour 2013 is shaping up to be a good one. Lots of interesting plot lines with Wiggens out and lots of good GC contenders.

bjaelke

XaQ2yTE.jpg

Stages To Watch

For me, Stage 18 should be the best of the tour. Two climbs up L'Alpe d'Huez, in the same day. Two summits of L'Alpe d'Huez has only occurred once before in a Tour, and they were not in the same day. If this image showing the profile of the final part of the stage doesn't get you excited I don't know what will!
This is unfortunately also the day they'll reveal the names of a lot of old riders who tested positive.

Another Tour without Thor :( Cancellara also absent. Big personalities with even bigger motors.

Hawkie

Cav in yellow end of day one?

Real chance for 8 stage wins for Cav now that he has a team built around him.

Wes

venison crêpe
I've really got in to watching the Tour in recent years. Perfect viewing or something to have on in the background during the summer.

I want Froome to win the GC but generally I'm a fan of breakaways, more of them please!

Hawkie

I've really got in to watching the Tour in recent years. Perfect viewing or something to have on in the background during the summer.

I want Froome to win the GC but generally I'm a fan of breakaways, more of them please!

Thomas Voeckler: this guy is sure to give you what you want.

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Yay, I knew this post would come soon enough. My brother and I have been watching it every year for a long time. He was lucky enough to go to France and see it in person without me a year ago. The cellphone videos, especially of the Peloton, gave me a new perspective of how insane this race really is.

Hawkie

Yay, I knew this post would come soon enough. My brother and I have been watching it every year for a long time. He was lucky enough to go to France and see it in person without me a year ago. The cellphone videos, especially of the Peloton, gave me a new perspective of how insane this race really is.

Lets just hope there's no silly nonsense like the air rifle shooting or road tacks. Cadel will be real angry this year if there is!

Also looking forward to seeing just how good Quintana is.

22 teams 198 riders starting :D

Hawkie

Sky having a few technical bike problems in the neutralised zone, better to get things ironed out nice and early!

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Been hyping myself up for it for a week. Something inside me feels that it's going to be special. Some big names missing, others trying to hold the flame, and others coming back from the brink. I'm hoping for a lot of new names to make their stamp.

My sleeping habit is going to be screwed over, but at least I've got the last week fully off in vacation to stay up late and watch the best stages.

Hawkie

Been hyping myself up for it for a week. Something inside me feels that it's going to be special. Some big names missing, others trying to hold the flame, and others coming back from the brink. I'm hoping for a lot of new names to make their stamp.

My sleeping habit is going to be screwed over, but at least I've got the last week fully off in vacation to stay up late and watch the best stages.

Yep, don't think Sky will have it all their own way this year. Too many teams have built specific setups to actually go and win stages this time round. A mini tour takes place with the way the stages have been designed this year, in the first week, so this should ensure things get mixed up nicely early on.

Got my official tour programme pack to keep me company on the rest days :D

Corsica looks like a nice place for a ride. Interesting first stage. I prefer this to the usual Prologue.

Cav really wants to wear Yellow after today.

Hawkie

Would be awesome if Armstrong was invited to be a commentator.

The guy has turned into a complete troll, ironically one of those guys he used to complain about in the media and lets not forget he betrayed Phil Ligget for many years both on a professional and a personal level.

Hawkie

In the next Tour everyone will be caught so the winner will be a bystander who isn't doping.

I'll let Bradley answer you on that one:

‘I say they’re just f*****g w*****s, I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives. It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of s**t, rather than get off their a***s in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that’s it ultimately, c***s.’

Dead Man

‘I say they’re just f*****g w*****s, I cannot be doing with people like that. It justifies their own bone-idleness because they can’t ever imagine applying themselves to do anything in their lives. It’s easy for them to sit under a pseudonym on Twitter and write that sort of s**t, rather than get off their a***s in their own lives and apply themselves and work hard at something and achieve something. And that’s it ultimately, c***s.’

That's not a very useful retort, really.

This does sum up a lot of Twitter, but when you consider how common doping is in the sport... eh.

I get why he was pissed though, being accused of cheating after working his arse off all year to get fit for the tour, but it might come across that he doth protest too much or whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom