• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2016 |OT| Lead-out: EUROs / Autobus: Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joni

It is easy to say how amazing it is to watch Zakarin win a stage. He is 40 minutes down and can pick and choose when to go.

Aru proved in the the Alps of Italy two years ago what an exciting climber he is and can blow a field away. However, going up against Tinkoff and going up against Sky are two different beasts.

I really hope that Aru can keep it respectable in today's TT because I really expect him to make a strong push for the podium. Anything less will be a huge disappointment for him and Astana.

I do agree that there are too many riders just happy for a top 10 spot. The only team that has really tried to push Sky is Astana, but this has been their worst GT in awhile. Maybe it is no surprise when the two richest teams are Sky and Astana.

With Teejay now out of the GC, hopefully BMC can get at least one good stage out of the team. Caruso,GVA, and TVG really need to put in a shift for Porte.
The others can do that as well, they are just choosing to stay put. I don't see what makes them interesting to watch. Tom Dumoulin for instance is a lot more fun to watch for instance and if it wasn't for the stupid world tour points system, you'd that type of people more. As for Aru, he is a good example: why is he so scared to race? Froome is not going to get him back if he doesn't need to.

The others can do that as well, they are just choosing to stay put. I don't see what makes them interesting to watch. Tom Dumoulin for instance is a lot more fun to watch for instance and if it wasn't for the stupid world tour points system, you'd that type of people more. As for Aru, he is a good example: why is he so scared to race? Froome is not going to get him back if he doesn't need to.

Aru isn't afraid to race. In fact he has been the only one willing to attack the race. I think he went for it on the Arcalis, but the truth is that Sky are just too strong. You might be able to attack Froome in the high mountains, but you are only gonna gain small time. Aru tried to attack at the start of the climb and there is no way you are gonna drop Sky there. Then two days ago you could tell he wanted to attack, but then for all the hard work Astana put in, Sky still had 2-3 guys around Froome and there would be no point attacking.

Plus, Froome is not an idiot, he will not allow Aru to make up anytime, heck he didn't even want Dan Martin to make up time. He knows anything can still happen.

I think Astana will really try and make something happen today. They need to stop sending people up the road to act as a bridge and just work on blowing people away. Aru showed yesterday that he has the legs and he has shown before in the Alps he can make big time and win stages.

Joni

At this point, they don't need to race to make time gains. They need to race to win stages. They won't get any honor or attention otherwise.

At this point, they don't need to race to make time gains. They need to race to win stages. They won't get any honor or attention otherwise.

I agree with you there, but Sky have been happy to let breakaways get big leads. Some of the other teams need to stop letting the time get too big.

Ruruja

I think today could be an exciting stage.

Maybe not for 1st, but for the places below - could see a lot of changes.

bjaelke

PROFIL.png

I hope you're right. I'd consider this the queen stage so I demand some action. Zakarin will be up there again today.

I hope so. Porte and Aru looked great yesterday. They both must know podium positions are available.

Aru actually won a stage race around this area in 2011 and 2012. he seems to know the Monte Bianco well

Astana up to something now and Purito is following them. Brave to let some these guys go from the guys in the rest of the top ten.

Astana up to something now and Purito is following them. Brave to let some these guys go from the guys in the rest of the top ten.

2 more make the jump, Hopefully it is Aru. Maybe they are just gonna TTT there way to the end lol.

so Astana now have 6 riders not in the peloton

Finally something. All GC contenders should want to win on a stage like this.

Good stuff, seems it is more an attempt to get the peloton firing.

Should be a GC win tofay

edit: i said they needed to lead the pace, glad they are. Hopefully put Sky the GC guys under pressure for the final two climbs

I know many won't agree with this, but I think they are the best grand tour around.

Looks like one of the big boys are gonna get the win today.

I am gonna say Aru, but I have a feeling Froome won't let that happen and Rodriguez will be allowed to attack and ride of for a win.

Race radio reporting Dumoulin is at the side of the road crying. :(

Edit: Shit, abandoned and 2 and bit weeks away from the olympics.

No way, really? :p

I don't think Froome will win today, for sure Aru will fight hardest for it I think.

Lol, well Aru does have a good record in the alps and especially this area.

Fuuuuuuckkkk, gotta feel for Tom. Sounds really serious. I hope he can still make the Olympics.

Kabouter

Race radio reporting Dumoulin is at the side of the road crying. :(

Edit: Shit, abandoned and 2 and bit weeks away from the olympics.

Yeah, probably serious enough that even if he does make it to Rio, he won't be winning there.

Edit: French TV apparently saying Olympics are a no-go for Dumoulin.

Very weird, don't know what he was doing.

Now he's far back on the descent, anything could happen in front of him.

Eurosport didn't even mention it.

Come on Astan, go for it.

I am very disappointed that we still have such a big group after that climb. Astana have done so much work and still nobody has been dropped.

confirmed crashed: porte, froome, nibali, porte, navarro, maollma, doumolin...

froome looks like a hot mess, really torn up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom