• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2015 |OT| It starts with a BOOM*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kabouter

I can't see Froome losing the yellow now unless he breaks, Pinot should take the stage too I think. If I'm seeing it right, Gesink's group almost closed the gap with Mollema's.

Linius

Unless Froome is parking that won't happen anyways. But he's got a legit chance to win the stage I'd say.

Hesjdal is also incredible.

Cuddler

He's just part of the best team. Not exactly an exciting or particularly talented rider.
I disagree, but still, there is no reason to hate him. The logic of call him doped when he win and meanwhile when someone else do the same like today, he's called talented, doesn't make sense to me.

Linius

Yo pacbois, are we good to talk about Pinot again?
02Do2Ff.png

Cuddler

Great tour, congrats to Froome, Quintana was a little too passive until today, but he's still really young, he will do better next year. Now for tommorow, Sagan better win, lol.

-MB-

Funny to think this Tour was ultimately decided 20 miles from where I live, at Neeltje Jans, when Quintana lost 1.30m on Froome due to the crash there.

Linius

Yeah, Quintana cracked Froome in the mountains. But that loss in Zeeland...

Gesink and Mollema will end 6th and 7th behind each other. That's just a good result considering the riders in front of him. To be honest, I'd rather see this than one happy day with a stage win and frustration all around for the other 20 days.

I disagree, but still, there is no reason to hate him. The logic of call him doped when he win and meanwhile when someone else do the same like today, he's called talented, doesn't make sense to me.

He's alright, the weakest of the multiple winners of the TdF. Definitely benefiting from the Sky machine.

waypoetic

Banned
Speaking of Froome, atleast he survived the mountain! It was pretty intense and i was just waiting for some asshole to do something really stupid.

-MB-

Yeah, Quintana cracked Froome in the mountains. But that loss in Zeeland...

Gesink and Mollema will end 6th and 7th behind each other. That's just a good result considering the riders in front of him. To be honest, I'd rather see this than one happy day with a stage win and frustration all around for the other 20 days.

Which is exactly what it has been for me, frustration, cuz they couldn't do a thing but follow. Could care less for 6th or 7th imho.
That mentality of being happy with just such a positions is why many Dutch riders lack the backbone to push just that bit harder to go on and win stages.

Linius

Which is exactly what it has been for me, frustration, cuz they couldn't do a thing but follow. Could care less for 6th or 7th imho.
That mentality of being happy with just such a positions is why many Dutch riders lack the backbone to push just that bit harder to go on and win stages.

Just look at the riders in front of them. Those are simply the strongest names in cycling at the moment. It would be beautiful if Gesink could beat them but he's simply just not good enough to beat them.

And for a stage win we just had bad luck. Normally Kelderman, Kruijswijk or Ten Dam would have been the guys to do that at some point in the mountains. And that didn't really work out sadly due to circumstances.

Goldrusher

To finish first, first you have to finish, right? There's another stage tomorrow.
What if Froome falls and breaks something?
Or would he be awarded the win anyway? Is the final stage that pointless?

Linius

To finish first, first you have to finish, right? There's another stage tomorrow.

It's a given that the ones going for the win won't be attacking tomorrow. It's pretty useless anyways on a flat road. If Froome some how manages to break his leg, then yeah, there's a problem. But there's 99% chance nothing will happen. His win is basically a given now.

Quintana is amazing. If he's really 25 he's going to have a monster career.

It's a celebratory stage.

Kabouter

It's a celebratory stage.

Having the worst stage of the Tour de France on the final day is a pretty terrible way to celebrate though, they need to toss the tradition out and go for an individual time trial on the final day through the streets of Paris. Now that would be something worth celebrating. That time trial a few years ago at the end of the Giro, through the streets of Rome (I think it was 2009, the one Menchov won anyway), was pretty damn great.

Jimrpg

Having the worst stage of the Tour de France on the final day is a pretty terrible way to celebrate though, they need to toss the tradition out and go for an individual time trial on the final day through the streets of Paris. Now that would be something worth celebrating. That time trial a few years ago at the end of the Giro, through the streets of Rome (I think it was 2009, the one Menchov won anyway), was pretty damn great.

Its more like a victory lap than a stage.

Tour is 3 weeks. I don't see what's so bad about the last day being celebratory. And the circuit in Paris and winning there is very reputable. It just doesnt make a difference in the yellow jersey.

Contador, next year don't do the Giro. Thanks

Why?

Giro is the better tour, why do you think so many "great" cyclists skip it? They just can't handle it.

I don't like Contador, but I respect the shit out of him for riding the Giro so much.

That is why the Giro is a better tour, they make it very tough on riders. That Giro was amazing, Menchov fell offhis bike in the rain IIRC, but still managed to hold of De Luca.

-MB-

Just look at the riders in front of them. Those are simply the strongest names in cycling at the moment. It would be beautiful if Gesink could beat them but he's simply just not good enough to beat them.

And for a stage win we just had bad luck. Normally Kelderman, Kruijswijk or Ten Dam would have been the guys to do that at some point in the mountains. And that didn't really work out sadly due to circumstances.

We had those "circumstances" for the last 10 yeasr already. There is always an excuse to find to explain why stuff didn't pan out. At some pint there is gotta be more than that at play here.

Didn't they do that in the 80s and LeMond won the yellow jersey by a few seconds thanks to the time trial on the final day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom