• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2017 |OT|

Mimosa97

Fuck those French fans, hope Froome just spanks them beyond belief.

French fans showing some true sportsmanship here.

I hate Froome and I still think that was disgusting. But again our " big cities " fans are trash so I'm not surprised that they booed him. If they were in Paris I bet it would have been even worse.

The french pundits said it was a pathetic display from a portion of the audience.

Fonds

I hate Froome and I still think that was disgusting. But again our " big cities " fans are trash so I'm not surprised that they booed him. If they were in Paris I bet it would have been even worse.

The french pundits said it was a pathetic display from a portion of the audience.

The Dutch wouldn't be any different if they hosted a grand tour and had a Dutchy chasing the GC leader.
People are scum.

eFKac

Fuck such a shame, only 1 second...

Congrats to my countrymen on two first position today though. Brawo Maciek i Michał!

Man, so close between first and second. You have to feel for Kwiatkowski.

But yeah, that booing is massively poor form. I might not like the guy, but he's done nothing to deserve that level of disrespect.

Nothing personal against Bardet but I would have loved to see Froome pass him by and miss the podium by 1 second just to hear the reaction of those pathetic French losers.

Also props to De Gendt this Tour, attacked in 11 stages (more than 1000 km in front). Sucks for him he's not French so no super combativité.

Addnan

TT riders being good at climbing is just becoming it now, look at Dumoulin and if there are more TT km next year then well Dumoulin has a great chance of beating Froome.

Fonds

I think the French will be even more hellbent to create a tour that suits Bardet his needs. We already had "just" two TT's that were pretty short.
Don't think that'll change next year.

Addnan

Osymetric chainring sure makes this bike look a bit odd. Yellow F10 looks hot.
DFaz1lMXUAAiHe0.jpg

Final day, has been interesting ride, strongest rider won. Going for a Greipel win, just because he has to win a stage.

Charamiwa

Banned
Do you have any proof?

Of course not. It's already all but confirmed that there will be a TTT next year. And there's nothing that tells us that ASO will want to help Bardet. There's so much that goes into creating a race like that, it's kind of ridiculous to see it in black and white like that. But "the French" were to blame for a lot of things it seems this year...

Like it sucks for De Gendt, but can anyone argue with a straight face that Barguil wasn't worthy of the super combatif? He attacked on the Izoard of all places, he fought in every climb, he even helped Matthews at Rodez and the day of the crosswinds... You can be sad for De Gendt but maybe ease off the conspiracy theory?

I've seen so much of it during this Tour, it's exhausting. Sagan is DQ, somehow this is Demare's fault. Uran gets a penalty, somehow it's all for Bardet. I'm surprised people don't want to blame the podium for 1'' on ASO too.

Mimosa97

Of course not. It's already all but confirmed that there will be a TTT next year. And there's nothing that tells us that ASO will want to help Bardet. There's so much that goes into creating a race like that, it's kind of ridiculous to see it in black and white like that. But "the French" were to blame for a lot of things it seems this year...

Like it sucks for De Gendt, but can anyone argue with a straight face that Barguil wasn't worthy of the super combatif? He attacked on the Izoard of all places, he fought in every climb, he even helped Matthews at Rodez and the day of the crosswinds... You can be sad for De Gendt but maybe ease off the conspiracy theory?

I've seen so much of it during this Tour, it's exhausting. Sagan is DQ, somehow this is Demare's fault. Uran gets a penalty, somehow it's all for Bardet. I'm surprised people don't want to blame the podium for 1'' on ASO too.

I couldn't have said it better.

Ruruja

I don't think they're hellbent on reducing TT for Bardet, but they're definitely hellbent on reducing it to stop Froome winning.

Just look at the amount of TT km over the last few years and how it's reduced.

That said it would be interesting to see how Sky/Froome would race with no TT to rely on.

Although I'm of the opinion that a GC winner should be good at both TT and climbing (or godlike at climbing to make up for it).

I don't think they're hellbent on reducing TT for Bardet, but they're definitely hellbent on reducing it to stop Froome winning.

Just look at the amount of TT km over the last few years and how it's reduced.

That said it would be interesting to see how Sky/Froome would race with no TT to rely on.

Although I'm of the opinion that a GC winner should be good at both TT and climbing (or godlike at climbing to make up for it).

Agreed on all points. The race would be much improved in terms of competitiveness if there was no TT but then it wouldn't really be the TDF. Maybe smaller teams is the answer if they feel they can't ban radios and power meters.

Fonds

Time Trials are a massive part of the sport.
It's where individual riders have to protect their position or get a chance to better it.

If all we would get would be regular stages, with cycling being what it is these days, there is just too much opportunity to control the stages for the stronger teams.
I think having more (and more varied) TT's would actually add to a less predictable tour.

Besides that I'm hoping the trend of smaller teams will be a sign of more to come.
8 man teams are a start, but I guess the major differences will really be noticed at 6 man teams.

If all we would get would be regular stages, with cycling being what it is these days, there is just too much opportunity to control the stages for the stronger teams.
I think having more (and more varied) TT's would actually add to a less predictable tour.

I agree that the TT is both necessary, and boring, in its current incarnations (although Froome almost catching Bardet was fun). I'm not familiar with a lot of the alternatives though. I thought the staggered start La Course did was interesting, but ultimately in that particular situation turned out to be a bit sad. What other variations are possible?

kottila

I agree that the TT is both necessary, and boring, in its current incarnations (although Froome almost catching Bardet was fun). I'm not familiar with a lot of the alternatives though. I thought the staggered start La Course did was interesting, but ultimately in that particular situation turned out to be a bit sad. What other variations are possible?

Staggered start would be weird as the leader would be starting earliest, long before tv prime time and most viewers would see the lanterne rouge come in hours later. And it would be a big advantage for the guys coming from behind as they would bunch up and gain lots of time

Ok. I just realized it was the other Yates brother the entire time. I wonder If they'll ever get to ride together.

They'll ride together at the Vuelta along with Chaves. Orica are clearly going for a win there.

Though I wonder if there are precautions in place so they don't take turns, a day on, a day off. :p

Joni

Yeah, he's not what he once was.

Adam Hansen's streak of 18 straight GTs was to come to an end as he wasn't picked for the Vuelta but Valls has broken his hip in a crash and Hansen will start his 19th.

What were the whereabouts of Hansen at the moment of the accident?

Ruruja

I wasn't sure if there will be a vuelta thread or not, so I'll post it here for now.

I've made the velogames league for NeoGAF.

League Code: 67148036.

5 days until it starts!

Addnan

I wasn't sure if there will be a vuelta thread or not, so I'll post it here for now.

I've made the velogames league for NeoGAF.

League Code: 67148036.

5 days until it starts!
Just make a vuelta thread. Or I'll throw something up before the race if nobody else wants to.

Top Bottom