• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2013 |OT| Celebrating 100 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_am_ben

running_here_and_there
Not even close:

@Raceradio: The record for final 15km is 45:47, Pantani did 46, Froome at 49

I stand corrected.

edit wait this says the record time is 48:33:

For the record, Lance Armstrong set the fastest time of 48:33 for the final 15km of Mont Ventoux in 2002. Alberto Contador set the second fastest time of 48:57 in 2009, while Marco Pantani and Armstrong stopped the clock in 48:59. Armstrong was stripped of his seven Tour de France victories and doubts about those fast times remain.

The final 15km includes 1368m of elevation at an average gradient of 8.7%. The often strong winds are also a major factor in the racing and in the times set on Mont Ventoux.

link

Kabouter

Man, Laurens ten Dam was really strong together, almost managed to get Contador back, despite Contador having a 1m advantage at one point. I should almost think he could've gained time on Contador if Mollema had been better today. Certainly an interesting and fun tour so far, but I can't help but think it would be far more fun still if Froome wasn't so much better than the entire rest of the field. The man is strong everywhere, even if his team lets him down from time to time (though obviously not today).

Hawkie

Impressive. Not beautiful. Quintana's style is beautiful.

Was talking about his performance, which was a thing of beauty today, much more so than just impressive.

For me, I'll take Wiggo's track cycling mod classiness on a bike over Quintana every day of the week.

Chris R

Shame that Quintana wasn't able to keep away and win the stage. If Froome isn't doped then that was an impressive ride.

Kabouter

I'm convinced Froome is juiced up to his eyeballs.

They beat the fastest time schedule by 30 minutes. The peloton absolutely gunned it on the 'flat' and then put in a pretty damn good time on the climb. Not only am I convinced Froome is doped, but I'm convinced he's far from alone.

They beat the fastest time schedule by 30 minutes. The peloton absolutely gunned it on the 'flat' and then put in a pretty damn good time on the climb. Not only am I convinced Froome is doped, but I'm convinced he's far from alone.

The whole field was doping when Armstrong was dominant, he was just better than everyone else. The whole field is probably still doping (except for Andy Schleck, based on his performance), Froome is just better.

Kabouter

The whole field was doping when Armstrong was dominant, he was just better than everyone else. The whole field is probably still doping (except for Andy Schleck, based on his performance), Froome is just better.

Don't forget however that doping affects different people differently, some will gain more from things like EPO than others. The idea that the best person will win anyway is a complete myth, there's no way of knowing that. We also know that even during the peak years of EPO use, not everyone was using the same. Some were more willing to jeopardize their health, willing to spend more money etc. etc.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I'm convinced Froome is juiced up to his eyeballs.

Yeah, his mountain performances this year are ridiculously suspicious. He's certainly not the only one for sure, but Froome looks like he comes from a different fucking planet from everybody else.

He looked good last year and could have legit won the race if he wasn't working for Wiggins, but this year it looks almost unfair. And it's not even because of an amazingly strong team effort like Sky's dominance last year. That second Pyrenees stage he literally didn't even have a team at all for almost the entire race and still nobody could shake him, and this time he basically only had Richie Porte for like two-thirds of Ventoux before striking out on his own and absolutely blowing everyone else away.

I don't know. Seems dubious.

seanoff

lol, if you believe froome isn't doped i have some planets i wish to sell you.

that attack on Contador was something i have never seen before. ever, at any level.

he stayed seated and then rode away like contador was in reverse. it was unbelievable. thus i don't believe it.

he rode the 23rd best time up Ventoux. the others above him were doped to the gills, Pantani and Armstrong or in a short Individual Time Trial (and doped to the gills), not at the end of a fearsomely fast, 221km to the bottom of the mountain, stage.

Zakath

Neo Member
The best times on the Ventoux since 2000 http://www.fillarifoorumi.fi/forum/showthread.php?38129-Ammattilaispy%F6r%E4ilij%F6iden-nousutietoja-%28aika-km-h-VAM-W-W-kg-etc-%29&p=2061073#post2061073

----TOUR DE FRANCE 2000, 2002, 2009, 2013

----MONT VENTOUX (last 15.65 km [from St. Esteve], 8.74 %, 1368 m)

----TOP 50 LIST

-1. Lance Armstrong ______ USA | 48:33 | 2002
-2. Chris Froome _________ GBR | 48:35 | 2013
-3. Andy Schleck _________ LUX | 48.57 | 2009
-4. Alberto Contador _____ ESP | 48:57 | 2009
-5. Lance Armstrong ______ USA | 49:00 | 2009
-6. Marco Pantani ________ ITA | 49:01 | 2000
-7. Lance Armstrong ______ USA | 49:01 | 2000
-8. Frank Schleck ________ LUX | 49:02 | 2009
-9. Nairo Quintana _______ COL | 49:04 | 2013
10. Roman Kreuziger ______ CZE | 49:05 | 2009

Hanmik

2fKFFfs.jpg

you really have to wonder what Lemond was saying to Froome..

Lach

Even if Froome isn't doped, he needs to be prepared to have his performence questioned (over and over again) and have a thicker skin. That actually goes for every driver.

Wes

venison crêpe
Can I just say how enjoyable watching Quintana has been? I love this guy. He's my new favourite.

He appears so damn calm in his climbs whilst all around him are in various states of breakdown.

JPKellams

Can I just say how enjoyable watching Quintana has been? I love this guy. He's my new favourite.

He appears so damn calm in his climbs whilst all around him are in various states of breakdown.

This entire generation of Columbian riders are style AND substance. Awesome to watch... If you liked Quintana, you'll love Betancur. Just as young, just as attack minded. You will also love Uran when he gets his own team next year (probably Omega Pharma). Henao is another crazy talent, but he sounds like he is going to stick around at Sky. If Sky are going to try to have 4 GC riders, at least one or two of them are going to have to switch to targeting classics. Henao and Porte are probably the most likely to do so.

bjaelke

Even if Froome isn't doped, he needs to be prepared to have his performence questioned (over and over again) and have a thicker skin. That actually goes for every driver.
He didn't seem to convincing during the press conference earlier today. I'm honestly hoping he's clean - not that I support him, but I love the sport and it'd just be too much with another "temporary" winner.

The best times on the Ventoux since 2000

-1. Lance Armstrong ______ USA | 48:33 | 2002
-2. Chris Froome _________ GBR | 48:35 | 2013
-3. Andy Schleck _________ LUX | 48.57 | 2009

They say the wind was helping them this year, while usually is pushing the riders back.

Also, let's not forget about another kind of "doping" :D

Cancellara's bike?

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Interesting stage. Froome acting like a pussy in the last 10km, waving his arms around like a lunatic.

Bro you're the one in the yellow jersey. You and your team need to protect it, no one else.

Hawkie

Ritchie Porte... simply amazing. When your back is against the wall this guy comes up trumps, what a professional. Australians must be so proud of this guy.

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
Porte's not bad, but he's no Stuart O'Grady. However judging by the state the sport seems to be in, let alone professional sport at all levels lately, if he gets tagged with dope in a few years then everything is all downhill from here.

That and I expect Porte to be a no-show at the Alp d'Huez.

Kabouter

This stage suddenly got very interesting.

Great win by Costa. Movistar is such a likable team.

Yet ironically not at all well liked within the peloton. But yes, great win by Costa, incredible solo to the finish there.

Also, as far as Aussies go, McEwen > *. He was such an awesome rider.

Kabouter

I am just waiting for Porte to blow himself up as he did in the Pyrenees.

He might, but I'm not sure it even matters. Team or no team, Froome seems almost invincible. He hasn't shown real weakness at any point so far. It's been a while since we've seen a rider dominate a tour without having a very strong team to back him up.

Hanmik

so how will this day end..? froome gets an even bigger lead..? he looses time..?
The way he has been dominating in the mountains I see him getting a minute or so ahead..

just sad that I also think Fuglsang will drop even further down today..

If it turns out Froome is not using any drugs to enhance his cycling he is the only one who deserves to win this Tour.

He has been without teammates for the longest period of time and neither Quintana, Mollema or Contador can hurt him.

Fisico

Oh crap, Peraud fell this morning and he has a fractured clavicle

It may be the worst TDF ever for the french riders this year :(

The expected rain at the Alphe D'Huez is pretty worrying. It looks like a huge thunderstorm is developing there, and the tour direction are considering to cut the stage tomorrow and just let it finish at the top.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
The expected rain at the Alphe D'Huez is pretty worrying. It looks like a huge thunderstorm is developing there, and the tour direction are considering to cut the stage tomorrow and just let it finish at the top.

Be a shame if it happens, but obviously safety has to be the number 1 concern.

Kabouter

Tbh, they probably should. It's a tricky descent to begin with, if it's wet...bad idea.

Yep, just saw this come across twitter:

Weather for tomorrow's stage: "From 14/15 h frequent violent storms... heavy rain, hail possible, wind gusts... Alpe d'Huez with fog"

Going to be exciting for us tv viewers, but for the riders it's going to be pure hell.

Joni

Just change it up. Give everyone the option to skip the stage and add 30 minutes to their time. Everyone that wants to drive to win, or doesn't want to loose 30 minutes can drive tomorrow. So for instance Cavendish and Greipel could just decide to skip it while Froome and Contador need to drive. We get our excitement, 90% of the peloton arrives safely.

Kabouter

Yep, just saw this come across twitter:

Going to be exciting for us tv viewers, but for the riders it's going to be pure hell.

Haha, it's not at all going to be exciting for us TV viewers. I remember this from the Giro I think it was most recently, lots of watching the finish line waiting for riders to arrive because no camera feed possible along the route.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom