• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2013 |OT| Celebrating 100 Years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zargean

Neo Member
Forgive me if I am reading stuff incorrectly, but how did Froome's lead go from 4'34'' to 5'11' when he beat Contador by 57'' on this stage (according to what I see posted online, 3'18'' versus 4'15'')? Similarly, how did Quintana's deficit go from 6'58'' to 5'32'' when he only beat Froome by 1'6'' (2'12'' versus 3'18'')? The numbers seem off by 20'', though it shouldn't really matter. Am I missing something?

-MB-

Forgive me if I am reading stuff incorrectly, but how did Froome's lead go from 4'34'' to 5'11' when he beat Contador by 57'' on this stage (according to what I see posted online, 3'18'' versus 4'15'')? Similarly, how did Quintana's deficit go from 6'58'' to 5'32'' when he only beat Froome by 1'6'' (2'12'' versus 3'18'')? The numbers seem off by 20'', though it shouldn't really matter. Am I missing something?

Froome got 20 seconds time penalty for accepting that food on the last climb.

bjaelke

Movistar really fucked up today. They had the perfect chance to win the stage win Quintana but launched the attacks way too late.
So Port for yellow jersey next year? He looks like Froome of last year who carried Wiggins.
Not really. Remember stage 9?

He should just enjoy his role right now as a super-domestique and perhaps do as Degenkolb.

n2VUqeH.jpg

Kabouter

Movistar really fucked up today. They had the perfect chance to win the stage win Quintana but launched the attacks way too late.
Would've taken the lead in King of the Mountains too if they'd attacked sooner and Quintana had been able to sustain his attack to the end.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Have to imagine Tejay would have won if he didn't have to burn so much energy on that descent. He'll forever wonder what could have been. A Frenchman winning the first ever Double Alpe d'Huez stage seems like a fair result, though.

I liked on TV that they talked about how Chris Froome emphatically "doesn't cheat, end of story" only for Chris Froome to blatantly cheat right in front of everybody mere moments later.

I liked on TV that they talked about how Chris Froome emphatically "doesn't cheat, end of story" only for Chris Froome to blatantly cheat right in front of everybody mere moments later.
He didn't cheat, his domestique did though.

You're perfectly fine eating, but you're not allowed to go to the car at the end. He didn't... ;)

Joni

He didn't cheat, his domestique did though.

You're perfectly fine eating, but you're not allowed to go to the car at the end. He didn't... ;)
Well, the Tour de France jury doesn't agree with that. It is apparantly still cheating if there is someone between the car and the rider.

SJRB

Gold Member
I cannot believe the guy who went head-first into barbed wire just now is Jack Bauer.

Seriously, Jack fucking Bauer.

Kabouter

So, like, really, no punishment for Rolland's move just now? Rather questionable jury this year. First Cavendish, now this. Geez.

Kabouter

The guy in the car didn't see it, so the central jury needs to decide.
Guess we'll see what they'll decide later on, but tbh, if they just take away his points on that climb it'd be soft, let alone if they decide to do nothing, it'll be pretty fucked up. This was completely unacceptable.

Joni

Guess we'll see what they'll decide later on, but tbh, if they just take away his points on that climb it'd be soft, let alone if they decide to do nothing. This was completely unacceptable.
Yeah, they need to award punishment points and certainly not award him the combative.

Kabouter

Amazing win by Quintana, first TdF and gets a great stage win, a podium, the king of the mountains jersey and the youth classification. Incredible.

Can't help but feel there's something going on there

Also: Froome's acceleration uphill is out of this world, it's incredible.

bjaelke

FdBmzhV.jpg

Swagan

Amazing win by Quintana, first TdF and gets a great stage win, a podium, the king of the mountains jersey and the youth classification. Incredible.

Can't help but feel there's something going on there

It's a tour that heavily favours the climbers (see Rodriguez).

Kabouter

It's a tour that heavily favours the climbers (see Rodriguez).

It obviously does, but even then, Quintana is incredibly strong for such a young rider. And let's not forget the peloton seems to have made a habit of beating the fastest time schedule.

JPKellams

It obviously does, but even then, Quintana is incredibly strong for such a young rider. And let's not forget the peloton seems to have made a habit of beating the fastest time schedule.

Quintana also lives at 2300m and spent the entire summer at said altitude training. He is a mini-mountain goat.

Riders getting faster makes total sense if you consider the jumps people are making in understand FTP, advancements in aerodynamics (helmets in particular), and just better equipment all around.

Let's put it this way - if the entire field is fast, chances are it is natural causes. I sincerely doubt 190 riders could survive an entire tour without getting popped for doping at that stage. Hell, two riders from the same team got popped in a 10 day span during the Giro.

Joni

The selection process for the Tour de France has also changed. Look at all the teams, and see how many brought their absolute best riders with them. In the past you usually had like 4-5 people per team who came because they wanted and the rest were there to ffill the spots.

Have we heard what happened to Rolland by the way? Did he get punished?

bjaelke

Looking at the type of riders in the top 10 tells you how different this tour has been compared to last year's edition.

2013 GC

ZQm5NlZ.png

2012 GC

XBg5WbU.png

The selection process for the Tour de France has also changed. Look at all the teams, and see how many brought their absolute best riders with them. In the past you usually had like 4-5 people per team who came because they wanted and the rest were there to ffill the spots.

Svein Tuft.

bjaelke

Quite the logical choice because Orica wanted to win the team time trial.
I was agreeing with you. They've put a lot of thought into which riders each team brings to the tour. Tuft is an example of that despite being lanterne rouge.

Joni

A lot of flats with Omega Pharma Quick Step today. Cavendish, Steegmans, Chavanel.

I was agreeing with you. They've put a lot of thought into which riders each team brings to the tour. Tuft is an example of that despite being lanterne rouge.
Haha; okay. I misunderstood.

O. Don't watch it much, didn't know it was a thing :p
Yeah, it is mainly for pictures that they do it though. Examples since 2007:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom