• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tour de France 2016 |OT| Lead-out: EUROs / Autobus: Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruruja

Is it Sky's fault? Nothing is stopping other teams forming with similar budgets.

Maybe they could introduce a salary cap.

Or maybe riders should have some aspirations instead of going to Sky for a payday and domestique role.

I'm not arguing with anyone here, just opening a discussion on how to solve it. :)

Ruruja

Do away with the World Tour points system, meaning second/third place is pointless.

I'd do that, or only award points for stage wins/jersey win.

I hate people saying "I want to keep my place on the podium". Why?! Go for the win you goon.

kottila

I'd do that, or only award points for stage wins/jersey win.

I hate people saying "I want to keep my place on the podium". Why?! Go for the win you goon.

So you want mollema who's finally in good shape and position for a three week tour to go all in and risk ending up 17th when this could be his one chance of finishing on the podium in the tour, the moment he's dreamed about his whole life which many (probably including himself) thought never would happen as he had one disappointing tour after another. just because you want to be entertained?

kottila

Even second and third is fine, but there are people 'racing' to keep their 6th or 7th place.

A top 10 could be necessary for them to get a new team/contract. The tour is that big (unfortunately. But the problem this year is that Sky has three-four fresh helpers they can rotate which all could've been top 10 candidates if they were riding for a different team. Sky has a razer sharp "win tdf"-focus while other teams have two captains, have a main domestique that's exhausted from the giro or also support sprinters/stage hunters etc. And when the only possible rival - quintana is a long way from his best form, it becomes boring.

It didn't actually look like they were going that fast up the mountain today, the leader group was relatively big before the attacks in the last two km.

Edit: look at the team sky had in poland last week

kottila

Because it gets them so much points. Not because they actually show something.

of course they show something. the best riders of the world show up at the tour in their best shape. Being top 10 means you're a big shot and it provides your team the exposure the sponsors demand in the biggest race of the year

Joni

of course they show something. the best riders of the world show up at the tour in their best shape. Being top 10 means you're a big shot and it provides your team the exposure the sponsors demand in the biggest race of the year

Have you seen Romain Bardet race? Aru? I rather see attackers like Zakarin. For instance, was Mathias Frank really visible last year?

Ruruja

So you want mollema who's finally in good shape and position for a three week tour to go all in and risk ending up 17th when this could be his one chance of finishing on the podium in the tour, the moment he's dreamed about his whole life which many (probably including himself) thought never would happen as he had one disappointing tour after another. just because you want to be entertained?

Yes, because it could also be his one chance of finishing on the top step of the podium in the tour. I doubt he dreamed of being third.

Have you seen Romain Bardet race? Aru? I rather see attackers like Zakarin. For instance, was Mathias Frank really visible last year?

It is easy to say how amazing it is to watch Zakarin win a stage. He is 40 minutes down and can pick and choose when to go.

Aru proved in the the Alps of Italy two years ago what an exciting climber he is and can blow a field away. However, going up against Tinkoff and going up against Sky are two different beasts.

I really hope that Aru can keep it respectable in today's TT because I really expect him to make a strong push for the podium. Anything less will be a huge disappointment for him and Astana.

I do agree that there are too many riders just happy for a top 10 spot. The only team that has really tried to push Sky is Astana, but this has been their worst GT in awhile. Maybe it is no surprise when the two richest teams are Sky and Astana.

With Teejay now out of the GC, hopefully BMC can get at least one good stage out of the team. Caruso,GVA, and TVG really need to put in a shift for Porte.

BTW, on Eurosport yesterday they mentioned they couldn't show someone because he had "taken up sponsorship". Who was this? Is it Yates? because I always find it strange how they never seem to show him up close.

LayLa

BTW, on Eurosport yesterday they mentioned they couldn't show someone because he had "taken up sponsorship". Who was this? Is it Yates? because I always find it strange how they never seem to show him up close.

Maybe Didi "the Devil" Senft?
Impressed with the consistency of Yates, especially as his team don't seem to be supporting him very well. Meintjes is also doing a really good job for Lampre, has an African ever finished the Tour before in the Top 10? (not counting Froome here obv!)

bjaelke

PROFIL.png

PROFILCOLSCOTES_1.png

17 km mountain ITT today. Hard to look past Froome for the stage win.

Full start list here: http://inrng.tumblr.com/image/147738893768

going for porte today too.

quintana. woof. and van garderen. double woof, man.

saw vaughters on twitter saying that his highest paid rider is sky's 7th. which is probably woet fricking poels. that guy.

already looking forward to vuelta.

kottila

going for porte today too.

quintana. woof. and van garderen. double woof, man.

saw vaughters on twitter saying that his highest paid rider is sky's 7th. which is probably woet fricking poels. that guy.

already looking forward to vuelta.

I'd hope for his sake that he's paid much more than that. The guy won a monument this year!

Dumolin's time is even more impressive after just listening to LeMond talking about the disadvantages of a TT bike on a climb

I'm sure they've tested which bike is the fastest for him on this course.

Fabiooooooooooooooooooooooo

@kottila, no doubt, but just amazing because Greg said you can't really get up much and get more air into your lungs. Just an absolute beast performance.

kottila

Fabiooooooooooooooooooooooo

@kottila, no doubt, but just amazing because Greg said you can't really get up much and get more air into your lungs. Just an absolute beast performance.

thought he was referring to hardware, but if he meant sitting on the aerobars going uphill then I agree. Can't be fun

Bollema 35 seconds down after the first

Froome down 22 seconds.

I have no idea why Froome and Quintana are using TT bikes

edit: Porte 9 seconds down after the 3rd check.

I think Aru is gonna go past Valverde today

Really hope Aru goes all out on the Monte Bianco tomorrow. Secure a top 5 place with an aim for the podium.

1 Christopher Froome (GBr) Team Sky 77:55:53
2 Bauke Mollema (Ned) Trek-Segafredo 0:03:52
3 Adam Yates (GBr) Orica-BikeExchange 0:04:17
4 Nairo Quintana (Col) Movistar Team 0:04:37
5 Romain Bardet (Fra) AG2R La Mondiale 0:04:58
6 Richie Porte (Aus) BMC Racing Team 0:05:00
7 Fabio Aru (Ita) Astana Pro Team 0:06:08
8 Alejandro Valverde (Spa) Movistar Team 0:06:37
9 Louis Meintjes (RSA) Lampre - Merida 0:07:15
10 Daniel Martin (Irl) Etixx - Quick-Step 0:07:18

Aru gaining time on all but Froome and Porte

Froome gained almost a minute on Porte from the first time check to the finish line. Incredible pacing by him.

The TT bike really seems to have been the better choice in the second half of the race.Quintana gained 40 seconds on Yates in the second half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom