• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump Brags About Election Victory to Boy Scouts, Bashes Obama, Talks Yacht Sex Story

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
The way he talked to these kids had a very "Hitler Youth" vibe to it. I was horrified the kids were going along with it.

UberTag

The way he talked to these kids had a very "Hitler Youth" vibe to it. I was horrified the kids were going along with it.
They're kids. They haven't developed the sense of judgment to know what's acceptable to go along with and what's not. They trust their Scoutmasters to exercise good judgment on their behalf. It's those Scoutmasters that failed them by endorsing an appearance by Trump to stump politically while encouraging them to jeer his predecessor.

He is unquestionably the most unqualified, easily the worst president who ever lived.

I find it hard to believe that someone so unintelligent can rise to be president.

Some of your Presidents owned slaves and massacred Native Americans. Trump is a fascist, an egotist, and an ignoramus, but have some perspective please.

If he could he would have slaves and massacre all of his enemies.

It just feels like some people see his biggest failing as being uncouth. Like, if he expressed his misogyny and white supremacy in politer, more eloquent language like previous presidents did then things would somehow be better

EDIT: see some liberals recuperating GWB for example. He's a mass murderer, a torturer, and a bigot, but hey he did some shitty paintings and never said "bigly" so all that can be forgiven

Have you missed Obama humiliating the fuck out of Trump at that one dinner?
After years of racist as fuck birtherism, though. I assume Trump went all in on birtherism because he's a racist piece of shit, but that unwashable humiliation made things even worse.

Nydius

Being in scouting is a very different thing depending on what part of the country you are from. I was in scouting as a kid in the Chicagoland area and it was pretty chill. No one even gave a damn about the handful of gay scouts and leaders back then. But people I know who did scouting is more rural states... Well, it was pretty much what you'd expect. And then of course there was Utah scouting which was more affliated with the Mormon church than actual Boy Scouts.

Since this was held in West Virginia, I'm not at all surprised by the reaction.

Sounds like we had a similar experience. The Troop I was in was very chill about such things. We had at least one Troop committee member who was gay, several scouts who openly admitted to being either atheist or agnostic, and no one really gave a shit. When one of our scout masters got transferred out of the area, the guy who took his place tried to be a hardcore conservative military bro windbag and he got booted out by the recommendation of scouts, other adult volunteers, and many of the parents.

Of course, this was also the late 80's and early 90's, before National Council issued their edicts that would become controversial later in the decade, before they introduced the Family Life merit badge (then forced it as part of the Eagle requirements). I'm glad I earned Eagle when I did and I've always maintained that the Troop I was in helped foster my liberal beliefs - especially the beliefs of inclusivity and environmentalism.

But going to National Jamboree in 1993 was a real eye opener. So many troops from the more rural areas (and southern states) were, well, as you'd expect, I suppose.

Anyway, as for Trump, his visit to this Jamboree, and his comments to them about loyalty all I'll say is: This Eagle Scout says fuck you and fuck your demands for loyalty, Trump. It might have been many years ago but I remember what I learned when I worked on my Citizenship in the Nation Merit badge. Blind loyalty is the OPPOSITE of good citizenship.

E: Just realized this was at the 2017 National Jamboree. Which means those scouts booing weren't just from West Virginia. They're supposedly representative of the entire country (though that's a stretch given the cost, which often marginalized Troops in lower income areas and, of course, minority scouts).

Alucrid

Banned
As much as I dislike Trump, there should be some context here. They were booing the fact that Obama did not come to a Boy Scouts Jamboree while he was president.
Did they boo Hillary Clinton too because she never went to a jamboree as president?

jelly

giphy.gif

Saya

Trump and the cheering scout leaders have now irrevocable damaged the reputation of the BSA. How do they expect to be taken seriously in the future?

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
In my opinion from the outside, you live in a reality tv-show at the moment. It's fascinating and a bit sad to look at. But make no mistake, everyone is watching. Hang in there :) Someone will get voted out at some point.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
The speech sort of started out ok, but he just can't help himself. Politics has no place in addressing a group of Scouts. Bragging about yourself and your victories is not the Boy Scout way. Innuendo is not appropriate when talking to 12-18 year old boys. Threatening politicians if they don't vote the way you want them to is about as far from what Scouting is about as you can get.

The BSA's response is basically that presidential visits to Jamborees are a longstanding tradition but in no way should that be construed as an endorsement of any particular politics, and that's fine, but it would be nice to hear even a mild rebuke of the speech's inappropriate content. It'll never happen, though.

By the way, Jamborees are not held every year. This was the 21st. The next will be in 2021. The only way Trump will be there is if he gets re-elected. The 2010 and 2013 Jamborees occurred during Obama's term, and while he was unable to attend, he did record a video address for 2010: https://youtu.be/obtkCHhJ_q8

Jesus Christ. What a dipshit.

We got Bush when I attended the Boy Scout Jamboree. But he just talked about how great the Boy Scouts were and was overall much more presidential.

Fucking Ariana Grande is more presidential than Trump. He's the most classless famous person I think I've ever seen.

Also. Obama was a scout. Trump was not.

Being a Scout was probably beneath him.

LOL This guy is like a cartoon character. He so oblivious and apathetic that he almost seems alien.

It's because his whole life he's only ever talked to other rich people, about being rich and how to make more money.

In my opinion from the outside, you live in a reality tv-show at the moment. It's fascinating and a bit sad to look at. But make no mistake, everyone is watching. Hang in there :) Someone will get voted out at some point.

Lol this whole US politics spectacle has heavily cut into my gaming time.

Get home from work and just gorge news about the orange twats latest fuck ups with Russia, health care, media bashing or just inane ramblings.
But yeah like you I'm rooting for sanity to eventually prevail, although it looks increasingly unlikely (this thread title tells me that enough)

He's a madman.

Shauni

Hopefully in 50 years, history books trashes everybody who voted for him and the entire GOP. That's hoping too much though.

I don't think it is. Think about Nixon is remembered, and Nixon actually did some positive things. Regan is remembered fondly, but he always put on a good face and managed to distance himself from his scandals, while Trump jumps headfirst into all of his.

Laieon

As much as I dislike Trump, there should be some context here. They were booing the fact that Obama did not come to a Boy Scouts Jamboree while he was president.

As an Eagle Scout that just makes me respect Obama even more. Camping is boring.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
I dont even know where to begin with this.....feels like everyone involved looks bad - Trump destroys anything he touches.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
OléGunner;244423509 said:
Lol this whole US politics spectacle has heavily cut into my gaming time.

Get home from work and just gorge news about the orange twats latest fuck ups with Russia, health care, media bashing or just inane ramblings.
But yeah like you I'm rooting for sanity to eventually prevail, although it looks increasingly unlikely (this thread title tells me that enough)

He's a madman.

Worse is that I can read these anytime I want to. Cuts into my productivity if I don't self manage.
There is always something waiting for me, no matter what time it is. "I don't watch Big Brother" was a popular statement when it came out the first time, but everyone still did. I am waiting for some sex tapes to pop up. Something real nasty stuff with Mr. D. " He did it on live TV?!" Until that day...

Couleurs

Remember when Obama first got elected, and made some address to school kids for the end of the school year and Republicans threw a shit fit?
This must have been what they were expecting.

Well yeah, Obama was telling kids to stay in school, which contradicts Republican goals of underfunding schools to increase drop out rates and replenish the uneducated Republican voter base when boomers die off

He is:

Untrustworthy
Disloyal
Unhelpful
Unfriendly
Discourteous
Unkind
Disobedient
Pessimistic
Wasteful
Cowardly
Slovenly
Irreverent

So basically the antithesis of the Scout Law.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
That red map was the most depressing thing i saw last year. he won nearly every swing state. i really couldnt believe it. one of the worst nights of my life.

he's also right about all the pundits being clueless. everyone from NBC to CNN looked dumbfounded. they kept trying to rationalize it. oh the american people have spoken and they have felt ignored and marginalized etc.. no one had the balls to say the american people fucked up and elected a hateful bigot.

I feel bad for Boy Scouts. Every time they try to clean up their toxic mistakes they always make another massive toxic mistake, meanwhile Girl Scouts are constantly upstaging them. They can never catch a break.

Mahonay

Banned
That red map was the most depressing thing i saw last year. he won nearly every swing state. i really couldnt believe it. one of the worst nights of my life.

he's also right about all the pundits being clueless. everyone from NBC to CNN looked dumbfounded. they kept trying to rationalize it. oh the american people have spoken and they have felt ignored and marginalized etc.. no one had the balls to say the american people fucked up and elected a hateful bigot.
Racism and misogyny are a hell of a drug.

Top Bottom