• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

I'm pleased, but also worried this will be widely ignored and leading to nothing. Also, the antifa flag alone will probably be enough for social media to turn it into yet another "They're bad, too!" thing.

Get out there, USA. Please.

Perhaps I'm a nihilistic cynic, but what realistically could occur after this? The driver has been arrested and will face justice for his actions. Trump won't be going anywhere as a result of something like this. Every politician from of all sides but Trump is being pretty unequivocal about what this is and the media isn't ignoring it. The DoJ has opened an investigation.

What more could happen? These groups won't be banned or imprisoned just for their views and the racist extremists certainly won't be changing their minds. The only thing I could see occurring is more confederate monuments being taken down.

What are the odds of a Civil War happening? Because America sure needs one.

Everything is so spread out and the military isn't going to be involved on US soil beyond maybe the National Guard in spots when shit gets real bad.

There would be no border, no states signing up for a side.

It wouldn't really be a civil war in the American sense. It would be anarchy. And the fascists have more hardware. It would basically be pockets of fascists against local and state law enforcement and occasionally the National Guard.

It would drag on forever with no concession.

So this POS is 20 years old?

I will forever use this person as an example whenever someone says we just need the old Right Wingers to die to get progress.

My brother actually repeated what trump said about both sides. I said one side is racist and the other wants them to not be. We fucking fought a civil war because of this, the fuck are we doing

Mr. X

I understand, and don't actually expect anyone to accomplish anything after this, but please allow me at least a few minutes to hope and imagine that "the greatest country in the world" has it in them to do something.
That's the issue. People want to pretend instead of acknowledging facts.

Imagine if someone said back in the day that both sides (nazi and jews) were to blame? Fuck. It really was just to cater to his base. Like a parent who has a favorite child, when that child fights with another (and is racist) the parent says " you are both being bad" to make the favorite child not feel targeted and kind of cradled. I look forward to Trump saying he is disappointed in nazis but is also with people who oppose them, fuck me

Sony

Nintendo
yaRxig7.png

Elie Wiesel, Nobel laureate author and Holocaust survivor

Heh, I heard Jordan Peterson say this once.

Also holy shit wtf is going on in the US?? This is rediculous!

BBboy20

They think they're good people, it's not easy for them to see the truth.

One thing I've noticed is that this particular part of white America seem to conflate being nice with being decent. They're all smiles and unfaltering politeness on the surface, and they think that alone makes them good people. Regardless of how horrid their views on anything else are.

It's astonishing really.
That really goes for most bigots, really. They're "technically" nice people until something that doesn't fit into their status quo shows up or is mentioned and thus their true colors are revealed.

What are the odds of a Civil War happening? Because America sure needs one.

Possibly the dumbest thing I've ever read.

USA 325M people, worlds largest military.

Where are the battle lines? How is the military divided? What about nukes?

Not considering the above what civil war can heal wounds and bring it together? Without scorched Earth and elimination of one side?

SilentRob

Perhaps I'm a nihilistic cynic, but what realistically could occur after this? The driver has been arrested and will face justice for his actions. Trump won't be going anywhere as a result of something like this. Every politician from of all sides but Trump is being pretty unequivocal about what this is and the media isn't ignoring it. The DoJ has opened an investigation.

What more could happen? These groups won't be banned or imprisoned just for their views and the racist extremists certainly won't be changing their minds. The only thing I could see occurring is more confederate monuments being taken down.

Trump doesn't go anywhere because of the apathy of the US populae. If they'd actually protest, everyday, country-wide, things would change. It happened in pretty much ever larger industrial nation at some point. The populace protests and riots,shows that they will no longer accept a president that emboldened Nazis and make their representatives listen. People will step down, things will change... But people just aren't really angry enough for that I guess.

Thailand was almost brought to a standstill by the protesting people because of a fucking corruption scandal. Yet, here is the US President threatening nuclear war, strengthening Nazis and Americans at large just seem to go "eh...what can you do?"

It's frankly despicable.

Nerazar

The last rationale is achieved through the 'both sides' argument, here's eg NYT Sheryl Strolberg "

"The hard left seemed as hate-filled as alt-right. I saw club-wielding "antifa" beating white nationalists being led out of the park"

https://twitter.com/SherylNYT/status/896575560650035200

The public gobbles up this line of thinking

This feeds the myth that Heider's death was her destiny btw.

However, this line of thinking is correct. The Antifa will always bring violence to the table and violence should not be tolerated at all. With the G20 summit in Germany, they basically took down their own block, destroying everything in sight - for no reason at all. And this shit is making people lose trust and credibility in the cause. This is moving society as a whole to the right as well. This is what the right-wingers are waiting for.

Just like in this case. We have to protest peacefully or else we're set back 10 times. It is unfair, but that's how society will react to violent protests. If you see Antifa-persons in your protest, tell them to go home and get their act together. Take away their clubs or weapons and make them protest peacefully or not at all. This happened over and over again and "the media" and "society" will always spin it to "both sides" if both sides use violence. The only solution in this case is to take the moral high ground and protest urgently, but peacefully. We have to treat the extreme left the same way as the extreme right. This way, we can bring a lot of people together for a good cause.

IrishNinja

No, Sessions investigating this attack is something only moderates would believe in. The reality is that Trump and Sessions will award this man the Medal of Honor, and anyone who says otherwise is the enemy. We must only believe the absolute most extreme and cartoonish version of the truth, if we want to remain pure.

what a time for such a shitty hot take

Naw, I doubt this as well.

Here in is why Hilary and Demos lost (well, one of the reasons), and if especially the Demos can't grasp that, they WILL lose again.

ditto, do better than this

Choomp

Banned
Can't sleep. Can't stop thinking about how this planet would be better without our ass-backward species. Sorry. Hope everyone else is coping better.

Ugh, I hate that false equivalency shit. Anti-fascist is in their fucking name, how is that "just as bad" as fascism, when they're fighting against all the terrible things fascists want?

Even if antifa was beating nazis and white nationalists being led out of the park, is that really something we're going to put a lot of effort into condemning? I'd rather nazis and klansmen be afraid in public than not.

Bunch of rednecks were upset they were pulling down a statue, instead of it being a small event, it brought in all aspects, including these Nazi idiots and left-wing hooligans.
There is no false equivalency here.

Whole thing was a fuckup and someone died, which is really sad.

kmax

As we crushed them before, we will crush them again. These Nazi fucks have no place on our streets.

We all know what both Trump's and the police respons would be if it were black people or muslims. The hypocricsy and normalization of racism is fucking disgusting. The country is in shambles, and we have a president that enables that situation along with his right wing extremist buddies sitting by his side.

Terror sympathizing radical right wing extremist scum.

Ash735

Everything is so spread out and the military isn't going to be involved on US soil beyond maybe the National Guard in spots when shit gets real bad.

There would be no border, no states signing up for a side.

It wouldn't really be a civil war in the American sense. It would be anarchy. And the fascists have more hardware. It would basically be pockets of fascists against local and state law enforcement and occasionally the National Guard.

It would drag on forever with no concession.
Thanks for the detailed breakdown, gave me a much better grasp on the chances. And thanks for answering in a nice way unlike that other guy who just decided to insult me.

Keasar

Fucking hell. I just woke up and read in the news that people were killed...

Panic my goddamn ass, that was a alt-right terror attack.

nomis

Bunch of rednecks were upset they were pulling down a statue, instead of it being a small event, it brought in all aspects, including these Nazi idiots and left-wing hooligans.
There is no false equivalency here.

Whole thing was a fuckup and someone died, which is really sad.

oh those cursed lefty hooligans

LogicAirForce

Neo Member
They think they're good people, it's not easy for them to see the truth.

One thing I've noticed is that this particular part of white America seem to conflate being nice with being decent. They're all smiles and unfaltering politeness on the surface, and they think that alone makes them good people. Regardless of how horrid their views on anything else are.

It's astonishing really.

Reminds me of an argument I got into with a guy about homophobes. He asked " If someone is 100% a good person but is also a homophobe, would you hate them?"

I actually had to explain that if they are a bigot, of any kind, that means they can't be a 100% good person. The dude just wouldn't get it.

MCN

Banned
I dunno I only heard the headlines this morning in UK. Just wondered why it wasn't terrorism or at least first degree murder.

It may yet get upgraded once evidence is gathered. You always start with the lowest charge you can prove straight away, then work upwards from there.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Was he really charged with 2nd degree murder?
He was arrested for 2nd degree murder, the prosecuting attorney will decide what he's actually charged with come court time The prosecutor gets three days to look at any new evidence that comes out of the guys life and home and can then charge accordingly.

Rupetta

Just like in this case. We have to protest peacefully or else we're set back 10 times. It is unfair, but that's how society will react to violent protests. If you see Antifa-persons in your protest, tell them to go home and get their act together. Take away their clubs or weapons and make them protest peacefully or not at all. This happened over and over again and "the media" and "society" will always spin it to "both sides" if both sides use violence. The only solution in this case is to take the moral high ground and protest urgently, but peacefully. We have to treat the extreme left the same way as the extreme right. This way, we can bring a lot of people together for a good cause.

History is not on this side unfortunately, not when we have come to the point of swastikas are being displayed openly. You paint a completely ahistorical view on how white supremacy has been fought. I am not saying nonviolence should not lead but to say that these kinds of battles have been fought without any force or expecting those with a monopoly on violence to sort it out has never worked either. It is increasingly hard for people to imagine any other outcome...

Media is also obsessed with "fact checking" the nazis, this is another strategy that has never worked.

Sony

Nintendo
Just thought it was important to show that this image was faked

I really don't understand why someone would take it, it's only damaging to the cause. You don't need fake images to show that Trump is clearly symphathetic toward the alt-right..

Eventually you have to pick a side.

Otherwise you are just a bystander. And ok with Nazi ideology. Or ok with anti fascists. Whatever way you look at it. You are ok either way.

Being moderate in a clash where Nazis are involved makes you a useless member of society at best, complicit at worst.

I feel like condemning violence is a bit strong, because we have sponsors in the UFC, NFL, and NRA who aren't completely comfortable with that. Can we maybe just condemn death, instead?

Let's just put out a blanket statement that says, "People died today and that is unfortunate. Hopefully people do not die tomorrow. #America"

Yeah it's fucking simple shit. But centrists just don't care. They don't want change, they just want their status quo back. Centrism doesn't bring people together it's drives them further apart. Putting the blame on the doorstep of the marginalised and targeted, against FUCKING NAZI's is one of the most laughable things ever. Standing on the fence only helps one group and it's not the marginalised.

Especially in a thread about a Nazi who openly drove into an unknowing crowd of people in a terror attack.

But no its the lefts fault for that.

superbeau

Neo Member
Oh we've gotten to the point of "it's anti fascists fault". Some amazing jumping through hoops to get there.

This movement has already taken deep hold. Soon they won't be happy protesting, marching, and voting Republican. They'll want those more aligned with them. They'll elect Nazis. America will have Nazi congressman, Atorney Generals, and governors. Our America. And those who value civility and order above stamping out the return of the most vile hate modern man has known will still go on Facebook and type "both sides"

Top Bottom