• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

I find it super ironic that people that have previously donated to the ACLU to fight this exact strain of white supremacy are now unintentionally complicit in today's events due to the ACLU being fucking spineless cowards with no moral compass.

I heartily encourage people to stop donating if you don't feel comfortable with them defending Nazi scum, they are not your allies on this issue.

If you want to find a place to give your dollars, donate to our comrades who shed blood to protect us.

https://www.gofundme.com/our-sisters-keeper-heatherheyer

https://www.gofundme.com/medical-fund-for-comrades-in-cville

Eventually you have to pick a side.

Otherwise you are just a bystander. And ok with Nazi ideology. Or ok with anti fascists. Whatever way you look at it. You are ok either way.

Being moderate in a clash where Nazis are involved makes you a useless member of society at best, complicit at worst.

The very fact that we have to argue there's a "side" to "pick" is just insane.

As an outsider looking in the reaction to this in the USA is insane.

If this was a brown dude EVERYONE would be screaming terrorism. Your news channels would have gone absolutely apeshit. And if he was an immigrant the USA would probably be invading a country by the next week.

Instead the president is singing the "both sides" song.

Holy fucking shit. How racist as a country can you be.

Speely

Banned

If this was a brown dude EVERYONE would be screaming terrorism. Your news channels would have gone absolutely apeshit. And if he was an immigrant the USA would probably be invading a country by the next week.

Hold our beer.

Trust us, it's insane to us too.

"Economic anxiety", "both sides".

The very fact that we have to argue there's a "side" to "pick" is just insane.

No, the insane part is that people who chose the wrong side genuinely think that they are right and that the rest of us who want equality and dignity are in the wrong. Kapernick can't even get gainful employment because he was bold enough to decide to bend a knee to make people aware of how he feels about how little the lives of people of color seem to matter. But these supremacists? "Both Sides".

That part is what keeps my rational mind up at night.

Trust us, it's insane to us too.

"Economic anxiety", "both sides".

No, the insane part is that people who chose the wrong side genuinely think that they are right and that the rest of us who want equality and dignity are in the wrong.

That part is what keeps my rational mind up at night.

Yeah, so as I said, there's not really a side to pick. Some people want equality and dignity. Others just want violence and hatred because others dont have the same skin color/orientation or are simply different. That's insane that in 2017, the leader of a country basically talks about "sides" in such a thing.

Audioboxer

Have there been any more details released on the guy who is arrested? Apparently, he has a very low/non-existent social media fingerprint? (No doubt hiding behind anonymity if anything)

I find it super ironic that people that have previously donated to the ACLU to fight this exact strain of white supremacy are now unintentionally complicit in today's events due to the ACLU being fucking spineless cowards with no moral compass.

I heartily encourage people to stop donating if you don't feel comfortable with them defending Nazi scum, they are not your allies on this issue.

If you want to find a place to give your dollars, donate to our comrades who shed blood to protect us.

https://www.gofundme.com/our-sisters-keeper-heatherheyer

https://www.gofundme.com/medical-fund-for-comrades-in-cville

The ACLU is not a political movement, nor is it a political party. They are bipartisan and their main objective is dealing with the law and civil rights under the law. That is the laws of America. They will defend your legal rights to protest and show dissent. The way some on NeoGAF have been trying to revise history and pin the blame on the ACLU shows a great misunderstanding of their purpose, and while many are understandably upset/frustrated and lashing out the ACLU is not the cause of what is going on

The American Civil Liberties Union was founded in 1920 and is our nation's guardian of liberty. The ACLU works in the courts, legislatures and communities to defend and preserve the individual rights and liberties guaranteed to all people in this country by the Constitution and laws of the United States. Read more about the history and mission of the ACLU.

I mean, this is on their front page

w5Ku2ju.png

And that is because of

Attorney General Jeff Sessions and the Department of Justice have requested that the Supreme Court reinstate Trump's discriminatory and unconstitutional Muslim ban.

We're preparing to battle the ban at the Supreme Court, and we need you to stand with us in the weeks and months to come. Become a monthly donor now and help us resist attacks on religious minorities, refugees, immigrants, and all vulnerable individuals and communities.

So while they have no problem delving into politics it's when the law/Government is concerned, they aren't a political party/politicians. I wouldn't say they're the direct "best" place to donate to after an attack like this, gofundme's like you've listed probably will be, but what I am saying is it's a bit misguided to attack the ACLU because of what has happened.

man its pretty telling how even totally corrupt and loathsome people like Mike Huckabee and fucking Ted Cruz can clearly and decisively condemn white supremacist violence, but Trump just can't.

what the FUCK is wrong with him? he really is a hardcore racist to the bone..? unbelievable.

what are you going to do with him America? if he isn't removed as a result of Mueller's investigation, what are you going to do?

Breads

Banned

We, among the minorities, have been saying this for years. But when we say it it gets ignored or shrugged off as some uppity bullshit. Thankfully smart phones and body cams are capturing enough to wake others the fuck up. Probaly wont be enough to change anything but none of this has been a surprise for me.

Xando

Why do so many protestors have baseball bats and helmets?

Yeah this blows my mind.

From where i'm from(germany) police break up protests when they see people carrying stones.

Meanwhile in america they walk around with baseball bats and assault rifles

Audioboxer

Yeah this blows my mind.

From where i'm from(germany) police break up protests when they see people carrying stones.

Meanwhile in america they walk around with baseball bats and assault rifles

Open carry state? Something that in on itself is pretty fucked up to an outsider. I don't think anyone outside of America will ever be able to get to grips with the guns obsession and how prevalent they are. If anything that is something I think will kick off next if things continue to escalate, full on gun battles. Scary.

I mean is this not going to be one of those fucked up situations where you could be arrested or pulled up for carrying a bat, but a gun is okay? Usually any sort of protest in another country and it's as you said, police will intervene to confiscate weapons or anything that could be used as a weapon. Here you've got guns, bats, spiked poles, flaming torches and more. What the hell police?

Can someone explain why the confederate flag is proudly displayed in the south? Isn't this flag literally the symbol of the states that fought for slavery during the civil war? Didn't the KKK started due to them losing the war?

This feels like if germans would display the nazi germany flag in their homes without any sort of backlash.

Is this pure racism? or they try to cover it as heritage? Which again shouldn't be something to be proud of.

I am not from the US.

Speely

Banned
Can someone explain why the confederate flag is proudly displayed in the south? Isn't this flag literally the symbol of the states that fought for slavery during the civil war? Didn't the KKK started due to them losing the war?

This feels like if germans would display the nazi germany flag in their homes without any sort of backlash.

Is this pure racism? or they try to cover it as heritage? Which again shouldn't be something to be proud of.

I am not from the US.

They try to cover it up as heritage, but it's just racism. Google "lost cause confederacy" if you care to wade into the mindfuckery that is the lingering, cancerous source of a lot of white nationalism. It's part of our culture.

Audioboxer

QrtMq2a.png

Carrying body armor and combat weapons, white nationalists, neo-Nazis and members of the "alt-right" evacuate comrades who were pepper-sprayed after the "Unite the Right" rally was declared an unlawful gathering by Virginia State Police.

I guess that answers "open carry". Absolute madness how civilians can walk about with rifles and body armour like that. Apart from being intimidating, those are fucking rifles. Then again I doubt this topic needs a guns debate derail, but still, white nationalists and neo-Nazis walking about like that, not a good look America. As above an outsider can only think if this continues to escalate you'll end up with a full on high powered weapon exchange or massacre.

as messed up as it is to say, having a white woman die under a nazi attack compared to a poc will def' get more people to pay attention and hopefully people will rethink just keeping their head down and ignoring red flags.

It's actually stranger than that.

It's the losing battleflag of an individual state because there was no unified flag for that insurrectionist movement. It isn't THE confederate flag, because there wasn't one. But it has become the symbol of those who want to own and abuse others, who hate others for something as immutable as their skin color.

I am not from the US.
They cover it in heritage, but anyone with half a brain can see what it's really about. Pure hate.

People I know that never had family in the South fly it in Kansas. It's pretty much a flashing neon light that says "I'm a giant racist piece of shit!"

We don't really do much in the way of stopping freedom of expression, so a battleflag for a losing cause, based on the "economic concerns" of owning and subjugating people has become a symbol of a new age of hate.

I really don't like this country sometimes.

Slaythe

I'm not even american and I feel so much anger.

I watched that footage and it's just not tolerable.

Those cowards pieces of shit in the white house better step up or they can expect a civil war before the end of the orange's term.

Rupetta

as messed up as it is to say, having a white woman die under a nazi attack compared to a poc will def' get more people to pay attention and hopefully people will rethink just keeping their head down and ignoring red flags.

I mean she's already been painted as part of the "other side" of the "both sides", a hard leftie, thus destined to be die in the inevitable cycle of extremist violence. "Unfortunate, but expected" as some on this very site put it...

"Dresden police say a drunken American man was beaten up by a passerby as he gave the Nazi salute multiple times in the city's downtown"

https://twitter.com/Dana_Regev/status/896680695657107456

Now this happens somewhat frequently, tourists in Germany do this often and they do get arrested, last week some Chinese tourists did it, and years ago I saw a tourist do it myself.

However I wouldn't be surprised if the beating came as a result of the news coming out of the U.S this past weekend.

Speely

Banned

Those cowards pieces of shit in the white house better step up or they can expect a civil war before the end of the orange's term.

I am sad to say that I am already preparing for it. I am not a violent person but my country has forced some hard decisions on me. Can I be a good person while hand-waving state-endorsed hatred and bigotry? I don't think I can.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
QrtMq2a.png

I guess that answers "open carry". Absolute madness how civilians can walk about with rifles and body armour like that. Apart from being intimidating, those are fucking rifles. Then again I doubt this topic needs a guns debate derail, but still, white nationalists and neo-Nazis walking about like that, not a good look America. As above an outsider can only think if this continues to escalate you'll end up with a full on high powered weapon exchange or massacre.
Good thing they stopped Obama from taking their guns then. Who else would've saved their comrades from that police brutality?

I'm actually curious about how foreign media and newspapers are going to frame this. I know there was a pic from a well known Chinese cartoonist posted in the other thread that depicted the Statue of Liberty giving a Nazi salute while her flame was replaced by Trump's hair.

GeNoMe

Sadly enough you see this in Europe as well. People will rally and go ballistic if it the culprit was part of the minority. This is the byproduct of the great hate machine, and the cogs are not going to stop turning anytime soon.

They try to cover it up as heritage, but it's just racism. Google "lost cause confederacy" if you care to wade into the mindfuckery that is the lingering, cancerous source of a lot of white nationalism. It's part of our culture.

Or well, it is 'heritage', but they don't like to openly admit that the heritage in question is racist bigotry and the worship of a slave state. They want to feel pride for those fallen in battle without openly (however privately) showing support for what those fallen fought for. Whether they simply blather on about 'heritage not hate', or try to readjust history by claiming what the war was really fought over, with the slavery somehow being incidental to it even though several Confederate states put their desire to keep slavery in their declarations of secession.

Fuck Andrew Johnson.

QrtMq2a.png

Yeah, and this is what the police look like.

Apparently anyone can dress up as a military commando and look like a police enforcer.

It's actually stranger than that.

It's the losing battleflag of an individual state because there was no unified flag for that insurrectionist movement. It isn't THE confederate flag, because there wasn't one. But it has become the symbol of those who want to own and abuse others, who hate others for something as immutable as their skin color.

They cover it in heritage, but anyone with half a brain can see what it's really about. Pure hate.

People I know that never had family in the South fly it in Kansas. It's pretty much a flashing neon light that says "I'm a giant racist piece of shit!"

We don't really do much in the way of stopping freedom of expression, so a battleflag for a losing cause, based on the "economic concerns" of owning and subjugating people has become a symbol of a new age of hate.

I really don't like this country sometimes.

Thanks for the answers. Really sad how so many movements are based entirely on hate.

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
And that's why it's important not to have a cartoon villain for a president.

Rampant villaintry begets rampant villaintry.

I am not from the US.

It is obviously completely adopted/maintained heavily by racists etc.

however you then have
1. just dumbass "rebellious" people who adopt it for no real real reason.
or they think its like some club/fraternity type thing.

2. these actual people that go for the pure heritage thing that are either stupid or blind and completely ignore that it means loads of other stuff to other people.

Honestly its pretty pathetic.
My family has been from Alabama since the early 1800's.
Family had so many deaths in the Civil War, none of which were wealthy or owned slaves.
im somehow related to Stonewall Jackson(my Grandfather actually tried to have my father name me after him)
And yet the whole "muh heritage" is such a bullshit thing.

If it is a heritage thing, get the hell over it already.
It was a 5 year thing in essentially 250 years and nearly 160 years ago.

Polari

The ACLU is not a political movement, nor is it a political party. They are bipartisan and their main objective is dealing with the law and civil rights under the law. That is the laws of America. They will defend your legal rights to protest and show dissent. The way some on NeoGAF have been trying to revise history and pin the blame on the ACLU shows a great misunderstanding of their purpose, and while many are understandably upset/frustrated and lashing out the ACLU is not the cause of what is going on

So while they have no problem delving into politics it's when the law/Government is concerned, they aren't a political party/politicians. I wouldn't say they're the direct "best" place to donate to after an attack like this, gofundme's like you've listed probably will be, but what I am saying is it's a bit misguided to attack the ACLU because of what has happened.

+1. The ACLU's actions are consistent with their mission. They defend the right of free expression, no matter how abhorrent. This has always been their position. If you're not comfortable with that you definitely should donate your $$$ elsewhere, because the ACLU is not your friend.

People equating oppressors with those who fight their oppressors are those moderates MLK talked about. They want to maintain “peace” while virtue signaling that they want the same things as we do. But they’ll never actually try to change anything. They’ll just stand in the sidelines admonishing the oppressed for fighting back.

timberger

This is so utterly horrifying a scenario that it almost defies belief that anyone could consider it anything other than an act of outright terrorism.

There was a similar incident to this in the UK a couple of months back where a British guy mounted the pavement in a van to run over people coming out of a mosque. UK media had no qualms describing that as an act of terrorism as I recall.

VariantX

I'm pleased, but also worried this will be widely ignored and leading to nothing. Also, the antifa flag alone will probably be enough for social media to turn it into yet another "They're bad, too!" thing.

Get out there, USA. Please.

It will only get ignored by people who are comfortable with the way things are and where they're going. "Don't inconvenience me." Folks spouting that both sides shit are openly displaying cowardice on their part to even acknowledge the differences between. They're trying desperately to find a comfortable middle because they don't want to rock the boat. Those people don't realize they're comfortably standing in a sinking ship with their apathy.

bedlamite

I live in Asia so opening up the Politico link and seeing this pic was...quite something

I'm aware of open-carry laws in the US but these guys are rocking body armor and ballistic helmets. I can understand having a pistol on yourself for protection, but assault rifles, armor and helmets? What the fuck is their intention going outdoors dressed like that? Going to a protest dressed like this sends a very clear message, and tbh I was surprised there weren't more deaths today.

My condolences to the lady who died today. The US has a very serious problem and what with Trump's response to this whole thing, it's clearly only going to get much worse before (if?) it gets better. Stay safe.

edit: my 4 year-old kid just walked into the room as I was posting this and he saw the pic..."Daddy are they army men?" I didn't even have the heart to explain who they were

HotHamBoy

man its pretty telling how even totally corrupt and loathsome people like Mike Huckabee and fucking Ted Cruz can clearly and decisively condemn white supremacist violence, but Trump just can't.

what the FUCK is wrong with him? he really is a hardcore racist to the bone..? unbelievable.

what are you going to do with him America? if he isn't removed as a result of Mueller's investigation, what are you going to do?

Surely he is a racist, sexist, xenophobic shithead but first and formost he is a sociopath. He is thinking about the fact that most of his base - the only people who don't hate him right now - ARE these people

Top Bottom