• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vehicle plows into counter protesters in Charlottesville

blakep267

No need for hysterics. These Nazis are in no way a majority, or even a large minority, of citizens in America. A civil war isn't going to happen. At the veeeery worst, a small band of neo-Nazis tries to take on the cops or something, and gets steamrolled by the National Guard.
I think your downplaying it. Granted there's not going to be a war but it isn't some small group. Many of the police departments in the US house people who think this way or are sympathetic to their cause. I didn't see any tanks or what BLM protests get during the charlottesville stuff yesterday. You also have two white supremacists in the White House in Bannon and Sessions as the AG. It's not some fringe group. Millions of people voted for trump

neorej

ERMYGERD!
This is so good.

DHHAqceWsAAszmR.jpg

DHHArRdWsAAJEYi.jpg
The fact that his eyes are closed on both photos is weirding me out a bit, but yeah, people who give the Nazi salute deserve every last bit of physical pain that rains down on them.

You'll get piled on with many saying every Republican voter is a Nazi. While I do think that is hyperbole, it's still rather disappointing to see any "Western superpower" with small pockets of "civil war". To tackle that you then need to look at what holds back progress in America, and it routinely does seem to be right-wing voting and hysterics around gun control and a country in 2017 not doing more to tackle ideologies as harmful as you can get. Islamic terrorism is harmful? Well, we better do all we can! White supremacy and Nazi ideologies are harmful? Well, it's complicated. It shouldn't be complicated.

Some might be going to sleep thinking 50% of the country is literally going to be violently fighting the other 50%. That won't happen, no need to hide in your bunker just yet. The vast majority of people are not going to get violent and start killing as that is not going to achieve anything in their lives. Not to mention it just ends up with them in prison or killed in action. However, as I just said, tackling the overall issues sees a lot of circumstantial blame laid on people who keep voting in ways that allow the status quo. Find me Republicans who support gun reform. There might be a small amount, but there's not enough and America is indeed a country with a gun problem. Find me Republicans going in as much as some Democrats are about this attack. There might be a small amount, but routinely it isn't enough. America currently has a right-wing Government in charge, so you'll routinely see right-wing ways of handling situations like this and it's often not pretty.

So while you might not see a country wide civil war, you might end up seeing civilians slaughtering civilians whilst a Government in control of the country makes a mess of actually being a civilised, Western, liberal democracy. That's incredibly embarrassing and while many countries looking on are imperfect and with their own problems, sometimes some shade from those countries/civilians is indeed justified when they echo "we might have problems, but we're not that fucked up". No country is without racists, supremacists and terrorists, but others do a much better job of America with handling them.
Great post, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Hopefully this incident is the catalyst needed for the moderate Right to wake up and realize that these neo-Nazi types shouldn't even be tolerated, and instead should be publicly ostracized by their own party. Hopefully, as you said, our government does a better job of calling out these guys as the scum they are...

No need for hysterics. These Nazis are in no way a majority, or even a large minority, of citizens in America. A civil war isn't going to happen. At the veeeery worst, a small band of neo-Nazis tries to take on the cops or something, and gets steamrolled by the National Guard.
The President of the United States and his administration have taken great pains these past two days to communicate to the Nazis that he has their back.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Just saw the Fox News headline, calling him a "Charlottesville Car Crash suspect." I shouldn't be surprised, but I am still upset.

WhatNXt

So going off these shows today the only defense the GOP can come up with is to scream, "FLAMETHROWERS" about Antifa.

If the GOP had any sense, they'd be distancing themselves from fuelling this cluster fuck and condemning these fringe groups. There is literally nothing they can justifiably defend. All such noise is deflection, pure and simple.

The US needs a more sane, socially responsible brand of Conservative politics. The GOP are trash.

Red

Around 40% of all the people I know and regularly interact with still sympathize with these guys. I am not too far from Maumee, where the driver was from. I wonder how removed other posters here feel from this. I think it is easy to think of these folks as backwater nothingburgers when you're near a city. I am a first generation American, born and raised in Queens and now living in rural Ohio. Everyday it feels like I'm swimming with sharks in the water.

Forgive me if this point has already been made, but I never see anyone saying we need to respect the free speech rights of IS, or waxing poetic about winning the war of ideas with them. Nazis are no different, and should be treated no different.

Audioboxer

Great post, I agree with pretty much everything you said. Hopefully this incident is the catalyst needed for the moderate Right to wake up and realize that these neo-Nazi types shouldn't even be tolerated, and instead should be publicly ostracized by their own party. Hopefully, as you said, our government does a better job of calling out these guys as the scum they are...

The issue there is what is the quantifiable size of the so called "moderate right"? Then even if you can find these people will they actually revolt against the party and fellow voters? Apathy is at an all time high and so is the 'I have mine' attitudes that see many just vote within their own bubble not giving 2 shits about others.

The American Democrats have a better chance in the short term future of trying to get the non-voters out, or those who voted for Obama but stayed at home for Clinton. Rather than chasing so called "moderate right" voters. Elections tend to be won on small margins, which shows you just how entrenched some votes are. I guess Americans have to hope Trumps disaster of a term so far and proof he isn't a good leader bites him in the arse like May in the UK when she thought she could just count on votes no matter what. The sad thing is though having to wait around until chaos and worse is caused before some voters think "I've made a huge mistake".

4 years is a short amount of time but it's also enough time for damage to be caused that can take a long time to try and fix.

edit: Besides the voters, I should have brought up the politicians themselves. It seems the vast majority of the Republican politicians won't challenge and debate their own party, happier just to tow the party line, get elected and earn their money/power. Quite like the Conservative party in the UK which sees very little internal resistance/debate, other than individuals fighting for power and leadership. Where are the moderate Republican politicians? Just as we routinely ask in the UK where are the moderate Conservative politicians? As I said, on the right, there is routinely loads of "fuck you I have mine" attitudes/apathy.

Red

Forgive me if this point has already been made, but I never see anyone saying we need to respect the free speech rights of IS, or waxing poetic about winning the war of ideas with them. Nazis are no different, and should be treated no different.
Speaking of free speech, this shows acutely how the term itself has been hijacked by the far right to protect their views and ability to sow hate. How many of the same Nazi apologists were defending the free speech of those in Ferguson?
Violence isn't the answer.
Thank you for your contribution.

The guy getting punched is holding a "shield", lol. He looks so serene in the second pic, like it's almost natural for a Nazi to get punched.

CHC

Uh yes it is. You should fear for your safety when you throw a Nazi salute in public. The precedent must be set. Learning can come later but in the immediate they need to know that if you do this, you will be beaten, physically.

Dynasty

In this specific case it was inevitable. I am not saying we go and beat up anyone we suspect of being a Nazi in everyday life but when they are grouping up together advocating for the death of minorities like this, then yh violence is the only option making it the only answer.

The Kree

Banned

There is one very importance difference between IS and the Nazis and that difference is what certain people are clinging on to. They won't admit it though.

Violence is what's gotten us this far. Violence gave us the United States in the first place.

None of us want violence, but this is what they promote and this is what they use on those who appose their sick ideologies. Violence for a good cause gets shit done when those who hold high positions don't give a shit or when those with high positions agree with these sick ideologies.

Zakalwe

Banned

WW2 seemed to work in our favour.

Violence is sometimes the only way to prevent evil from spreading. If I saw a group of men beating a POC and I had the ability to inflict violence on them to make them stop, I'd do it without thinking.

Juicy Bob

Violence won't 'solve' the issue of white supremacy and Nazism, true.

But when someone is actively promoting an ideology that stands for exterminating certain groups of society, you can forgive me for not taking issue with someone else literally fighting against that.

WW2 seemed to work in our favour.

Violence is sometimes the only way to prevent evil from spreading. If I saw a group of men beating a POC and I had the ability to inflict violence on them to make them stop, I'd do it without thinking.

Thank you. The sentiment is appreciated.

Sony

Nintendo
Then what is?

Uh yes it is. You should fear for your safety when you throw a Nazi salute in public. The precedent must be set. Learning can come later but in the immediate they need to know that if you do this, you will be beaten, physically.

Except against Nazis, who should be met with visceral force and given no quarter in any circumstance.

In this specific case it was inevitable. I am not saying we go and beat up anyone we suspect of being a Nazi in everyday life but when they are grouping up together advocating for the death of minorities like this, then yh violence is the only option making it the only answer.

Yes it is

Yes, we should peacefully protest in the streets and wait for a car to run us over.

Wrong.
When people want to behave subhuman and support evil (yes, literally evil) ideologies, then violence is needed. You've decades worth of evidence that rhetoric alone won't stop them.

Reminds me of that GAFfer that said "Oh we could have beat the Nazis in WW2 by marching to Germany and giving them hugs"

I didn't say you should do nothing. I didn't say you should calmly protest and wait tilll you get run over. I certainly won't feel sorry if any alt-right nazi f*cker gets punched. But actively seeking out these people and physically hurt them? I'm against that. That's what the law is for. You shouldn't play judge, jury and executioner.

Shut the fuck up. Violence is the only answer this garbage understands.

Heh, aren't you tough.

SexyFish

Banned
I didn't say you should do nothing. I didn't say you should calmly protest and wait tilll you get run over. I certainly won't feel sorry if any alt-right nazi f*cker gets punched. But actively seeking out these people and physically hurt them? I'm against that. That's what the law is for. You shouldn't play judge, jury and executioner.

What about when they control the law? Then what?

How do you suggest reasoning with someone willing to march in broad daylight in favor of the Nazi party while carrying a gun?

Heh, aren't you tough.

What good is the law when the people behind it fail to condone literal nazis and are being filled in positions where they are sympathetic to their cause?

Not

Banned

The dude in the photo only got laid out once he threw up a Nazi salute in public.

Top Bottom