• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VIDEO: Motorcyclist kicks car, triggers chain-reaction crash on 14 Freeway

Ursn

As a motorcycle rider this type of behavior is embarrassing. Hopefully the one person that was hospitalized is ok.
Edit:
Sorry for the thread title that kinda blames the rider as the start of the chain of events. According to the witnesses the car started it all. The hate for motorcyclist when you people are safe and comfortable in your cars is insane.

http://abc7.com/news/video-motorcyclist-triggers-chain-reaction-crash-in-santa-clarita/2131744/

Couldn't find a topic so lock if old.

More info

Tim Morrison and Chris Traber, who shot the video, were on their way to work when they say the driver of the silver sedan cut in front of the motorcyclist.

The incident continued to escalate between the two motorists so Traber decided to start recording on his cellphone.

The video shows the motorcyclist apparently kicking the side of the sedan, which then swerves into the motorcycle.

Clear Video of the accident.

Some Observations:

Looks likes there were some verbal exchanges before the kick.

The kick caused a big dent on the driver's side door. (Might be there already - who knows?)

The car did appear to side swipe the bike just after the kick.

The car could've exploded when hitting the barrier O_O.

The biker has to see both the Car and the SUV crashes.

The biker left the scene after the crash.

Yeah I live in Santa Clarita and drivers on the 14 are a special kind of crazy. That's awful for the SUV that wasn't even involved in the road rage to get the worst of it.

One of the reasons I'll never understand social media, Reddit etc. celebrating bikers who decide to take it upon themselves to be police is the inevitability of shit like this happening.

Nafai1123

Banned
The riders actions are idiotic, but the proper response isn't to try to run the fucking guy into the guardrail. They are both road-raging morons.

And of course the person who had no part in this BS gets the biggest wreck.

Both the road-ragers shouldn't be allowed to drive again. Zero tolerance for those who abuse this privilege and put lives at risk.

CSJ

9 out of 10 motorcyclists I see everyday in SoCal drive like reckless pieces of shit.

It's almost as if motorcycle schools aren't teaching defensive driving/riding at all.
It's literally the most important skill to have.

Even as a car driver, the amount of bullshit I've avoided by assuming what people will do, and then do is fucking astonishing. As a rider you just need to assume everyone is trying to kill you and that's half the battle.

Assume that nobody ever see's you is my #1 tip.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
Wow that motorcyclist was cool as a cucumber when the car veered into him. Dipped towards the guardrail but didn't overcompensate. Can't say the same for the car driver.

My favorite part of the video is how the tiny car flipped an SUV over.

I hope the driver is safe of course but that little physics endeavor tickles me funny bone.

Nafai1123

Banned
It's almost as if motorcycle schools aren't teaching defensive driving/riding at all.
It's literally the most important skill to have.

Even as a car driver, the amount of bullshit I've avoided by assuming what people will do, and then do is fucking astonishing. As a rider you just need to assume everyone is trying to kill you and that's half the battle.

Assume that nobody ever see's you is my #1 tip.

It would help if motorcycle riding school was actually required to get your license. Here in CA you can just take the test and bypass the course entirely.

kswiston

The car that hit the wall looked like he was attempting to hit the bike a second time. How is that person not charged with anything? Getting your car kicked isn't licensed to try and murder motorcyclists.

cromofo

Holy crap that escalated quickly

Fine them both. If someone's hurt, jail them both.

Scratch that, jail both. The driver clearly tried to ram the biker while the biker started it all.

MUnited83

For you.
Jesus. The motorcyclist was an ass but your reaction shouldn't be to fucking try to ram him into the concrete divider

Ashhong

I almost want to say that the car was surprised and just lost control...but you never know with these assholes on the road

Google

I remember once I was driving down to San Diego from LA. Beautiful weather, everyone is travelling beween 60-80MPH and some guy (without a helmet) is fucking wheeling his motorbike down the middle lane at the same speed as everyone.

fucking insane.

Fuchsdh

Was the driver in the car scared from the kick or did they try to swerve at the motorcycle? Hard to tell.

Yeah, they may have just overcompensated badly or swerved because they were trying to look back and see what happened. Still bad driving, but may not have been malicious. Who knows what shit they got up to before the camera tho.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
It's hard to pin motive on the sedan. Could have been a surprise reaction or malicious. Sucks the most for the truck driver.

Instro

I don't get motorcycle riders sometimes. I see way too many these days trying to police the road when someone doesn't see them or cuts them off. I literally watched two motorcyclists pull alongside a car, banging on the windows because the cut them off. One of them nearly lost control, it was absurd.

Judging from this video the motorcycle was trying to pass in the carpool lane, which is bullshit. Should be be outlawed.

It's hard to pin motive on the sedan. Could have been a surprise reaction or malicious. Sucks the most for the truck driver.

Dude what, no that is an intentional sideswipe.

Only when the sedan tried to straighten out after the sudden, very intentional lunge do they overcorrect and slam into the divider, fucking up everyone's day.

Gragen

It's the same in the rest of the country.

It's the lane splitting in CA that makes bikers seem ridiculous here. I drive 5 to 6k miles a month and I can't even tell you how many times I've been held up because of motorcycle wrecks in San Diego county.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Reading the topic title I assumed the kick caused the accident(s) but both parties are equally at fault, the driver of the car attempted to ram the motorcycle which led to the accident and him losing control of the car. That was fucking idiotic.

Feel really bad for the white SUV which flipped over. Both the morons in the bike and the sedan need to be locked up.

TeegsD

Not to excuse any of this behavior, but isn't there a longer video that initially shows the car quickly changing multiple lanes and almost hitting the biker before he actually kicks it?

Ghazi

Cool, so the motorcyclist just drivers away like he wasn't part of the chain of events that potentially killed someone.

Bunch of idiots. Why are you going to kick a car? Why are you going to try and run the motorcycle of the road after? Hope nobody got majorly injured. Flipping over with your car like that looks scary.

studyguy

I can't tell if the driver tried to retaliate or if somehow freaked out.
All the same, reacting aggressively when driving a ton of metal at 70+mph is asking to fucking kill someone.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Dude what, no that is an intentional sideswipe.

Only when the sedan tried to straighten out after the sudden, very intentional lunge do they overcorrect and slam into the divider, fucking up everyone's day.

Maybe.

People get jumpy with unexpected stuff on the road. I was driving on a TX toll road at 85 MPH, entered a forked off section to connect to another toll road and suddenly a few cars ahead of me changed lanes. Seconds in front of me was a mountain bike. I swerved over sloppily without checking my blind spot. Fortunately there was no one there, I didn't hit the mountain bike, and get into a fatal accident.

Did the driver try to ram him or did he get spooked and twitch at the wheel? Hard to say from the video. He veers towards him but it's so jerky and quick that it's hard to say it was an intentional attempt to hit the biker and not just a knee jerk reaction to the kick. Wish there was more vids previously showing any back and forth between the two.

The biker definitely started the chain reaction. Why did he have to kick the car. There was clearly enough space for him to pass without issue.

Jeez that driver freaked the fuck out

To be fair if someone just kicked the side of my car randomly on a motorway I'm probably gonna shit myself and wonder what the fuck just went into the side of me.

Hard to say whether the driver meant to swerve at him or jumped out of his skin and lost it. Regardless, no idiot who thinks trying something like that on a road has any right to a licence, either of them if both intentional.

I think that all the questions of intent wrt the driver suggest that the driver may not get as serious a punishment as the motorcyclist, mainly because the rider was clearly acting in bad faith.

noquarter

I don't know of that was intentional, when you are driving then have something bit your car like that you might unintentionally look back and pull the wheel. Doesn't mean he shouldn't be fined, but don't think it was him trying to run the guy into the wall.

The way he backs off and over corrects also makes it look like it wasn't intentional. If he was trying to push him in, just glide over a little bit and then veer back, not what he did.

Motorcycles have always been allowed to ride in the carpool lane in California, not really bullshit.
I think he is talking about passing in the lane, or really, on the shoulder.

Top Bottom