• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to play The Evil Within on PC at a locked 1080p60? No chance. (Eurogamer)

soultron

Banned
Didn't the developers specifically state that the game was to be played at 30FPS, but PC players could unlock the framerate to go past that but nothing was guaranteed? They mentioned they'd fix certain issues when playing above 30FPS, but that it'd not be fully supported.

Seems fine to me.

It doesn't even hold 30 fps on PS4...

Why would you prefer to play it at 20 FPS at 1080P instead of at a steady 30 at high resolutions? That makes no sense.

I'm lost. So you're not playing it on pc because it's not 60fps optimized but you're going to wait till next year to buy a PS4 and the game even tho the PS4 game runs almost sub 20fps at times?

What?

It's just personal, if I can't play the game the way I want on PC then I'll just play the console version, it also depends of which I find cheaper when I get a PS4. Also, my girlfriend already bought it so I might simply play it on her PS4.

Just a spokeperson of a gamer enjoying Evil Within

I just went to the official thread of the game.
People r complaining about the performance but enjoying the game

If you have people complaining about it it makes sense that it bothers people enough to not buy it. Yes we aware that there are many people enjoy the game perfectly fine, not everyone can stand 30 FPS in games, especially PC games.

Yup, as expected.

Well, I expected there would be some bugs with 60 FPS, not that nobody would be able to have a locked 60 FPS no matter the hardware. This was pretty unexpected to me.

Didn't the developers specifically state that the game was to be played at 30FPS, but PC players could unlock the framerate to go past that but nothing was guaranteed? They mentioned they'd fix certain issues when playing above 30FPS, but that it'd not be fully supported.

Seems fine to me.

The fact that they announce it in advanced doesn't mean it is fine. Sure would make game development a lot easier, as long as I announce something isn't working completely everyone should just be fine with it.

KiraXD

ew is idTech 5 still a thing? such a horrible engine... terrible texture handling/loading... didnt know this game ran on it... kinda disappointing actually.

It's just personal, if I can't play the game the way I want on PC then I'll just play the console version, it also depends of which I find cheaper when I get a PS4.

If you have a decent PC it makes zero sense to neuter your experience in such a way. PC Evil Within is still the best version available.

Just a spokeperson of a gamer enjoying Evil Within

I just went to the official thread of the game.
People r complaining about the performance but enjoying the game

I'm not enjoying the game nor am I happy with the performance of it. But I'm not going to tell you you're wrong for enjoying it for one reason or another so don't do it to other people.

If you have a decent PC it makes zero sense to neuter your experience in such a way. PC Evil Within is still the best version available.

Maybe he chats with friends while he plays the game on a PS4, maybe it is in a more convenient room, maybe he doesn't have a bluetooth receiver to use his controller on a PC, maybe he doesn't have a TV connected to his PC.

It can make plenty of sense, not everyone prefers to play on a PC.

Seems fine to me.

While you are right it's still unacceptable that they put no effort whatsoever into making the game run at 60 at least on PC. Because fuck PC players amirite?

Well they did say it wasn't made for 60 FPS but instead 30. Can't get too mad at that.

What the hell did they do too cause this though?

kewlmyc

They managed to take an engine that was created to pretty much run everything at 60fps, and make a game that can't run on any machine at 60fps.

That's actually kinda impressive.

Maybe he chats with friends while he plays the game on a PS4, maybe it is in a more convenient room, maybe he doesn't have a bluetooth receiver to use his controller on a PC, maybe he doesn't have a TV connected to his PC.

He didn't cite any of those reasons though, read his post again.

LeleSocho

Banned
You know what would be badass?
Carmack to fix the game singlehandedly only to prove that other people can't do jack shit with his engine.

I know it can't happen but it would be sooooo goooood.

Shin-Ra

I think this is the most relevant benchmark I've seen.

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/the-evil-within-test-gpu.html
idryvd7lBFlAT.jpg

The game doesn't appear to balance load correctly across CPU cores.

He'd still be able to chat with friends on the PS4 while playing it, you don't need a bluetooth receiver for a controller on the PC, and latter is easily achievable. The excuses people make up to discredit PCs never stop being silly!

Afro

I'm an absolute 60fps perfectionist, stutter sensitive freak, but can easily adapt after 5-10 minutes of stutter-free, locked 30fps. It obviously feels like a slideshow after going directly from Counter-Strike at 120fps, but after giving your brain time to adapt it feels smooth.

Playing with an xbone controller btw. Not sure if the "30fps locked is unplayable" people are using m/kb.

Unlocked/variable 30fps/60fps is unplayable for me.

But he is a director in charge of supervising and approving the game. Do people think a director is never hands-on with the game during development or debug?

What should he have done? Cracked the whip harder? Honest question. They didn't pick this engine. Are we blaming him for feeling that his horror game needed dynamic lighting more than it needed to run at a locked 60 fps on PCs and a locked 30 fps on consoles?

I'm an absolute 60fps perfectionist, stutter sensitive freak, but can easily adapt after 5-10 minutes of stutter-free, locked 30fps. It obviously feels like a slideshow after going directly from Counter-Strike at 120fps, but after giving your brain time to adapt it feels smooth.

Playing with an xbone controller btw. Not sure if the "30fps locked is unplayable" people are using m/kb.

Unlocked/variable 30fps/60fps is unplayable for me.
I think a lot of people think of "locked 30" as console 30 which actually means horrible dancing between 20-30 which obviously plays like garbage. 60 is always preferable, but a locked 30 without fluctuations is perfectly fine and enjoyable. I played with the mouse and keyboard and it worked fine, felt perfectly smooth although of course 60 would feel better.

Corpsepyre

Banned
Found this on DSOgaming's website. Interesting bit of info.

----

Similarly to pretty much all latest current-gen games, The Evil Within is easy on its CPU requirements. While Bethesda recommended an Intel i7, The Evil Within was perfectly playable on our simulated dual-core system. Without Hyper Threading, we were experiencing various stuttering issues but when we enabled Hyper Threading, all of them went away.

As usual, we simulated a dual-core system and a quad-core system in order to compare them with our hexa-core system. Do note that in order to avoid any GPU limitations, we lowered our resolution to 720p. Our simulated dual-core system (with HT enabled) was able to run the opening scene – which is among the most demanding scenes in this game – with 52fps, while our simulated quad-core system ran it with 63fps.

While The Evil Within scales well on more than three CPU cores, we do have to note that the game relies heavily on one CPU core. This means that those with CPUs that are weak on single-threaded scenarios may encounter performance issues.

On the other hand, and contrary to its CPU requirements, The Evil Within requires a high-end GPU in order to shine. Now despite Bethesda recommending GPUs with 4GB of VRAM, The Evil Within uses 1.6GB of VRAM at 1080p with all its bells and whistles enabled. Bethesda clearly exaggerated when it came to the game’s VRAM requirements.

However, and despite the fact that the game did not fill more than 1.6GB of VRAM, The Evil Within requires a really powerful GPU, especially if you want to enjoy the game with 60fps. Since there is no SLI profile, our GTX690 performed similarly to a GTX680. A GTX680 – or any equivalent card – is simply unable to maintain constant 50fps, let alone constant 60fps. There were a lot of drops to mid-40s with all graphical options enabled, and there weren’t any options to lower in order to achieve constant 60fps at our native 1080p resolution.

Before closing, we should also note that the game’s visuals do not justify its GPU requirements. While there is a fully dynamic lighting system and all lights cast shadows, The Evil Within performs and looks worse than other triple-A games. Take for example the above blurry shot. What exactly is stressing a GTX680 in that particular scene? It’s obvious that Tango Gameworks encountered major optimization and performance issues. This also explains the really narrow aspect ratio that the game uses (forget those ‘cinematic’ excuses). Even though Bethesda revealed a console command to increase it, this will bring an additional performance hit making The Evil Within even more demanding than it currently is.

----

Renekton

They managed to take an engine that was created to pretty much run everything at 60fps, and make a game that can't run on any machine at 60fps.

That's actually kinda impressive.
I'm impressed they added dynamic environment lighting to the game, after Carmack implied that Tech5 was not suited for it.

Nzyme32

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-is-it-possible-to-run-the-evil-within-pc-at-1080p60?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

Bethesda has given PC users the tools to unlock The Evil Within's built-in 30fps cap, but we couldn't help but wonder - just how much computational power is required to double the game's frame-rate and produce a sustained, consistent 60fps experience at 1080p? It turns out that our PC test rig - fitted with a Core i7 3770K overclocked to 4.3GHz and matched with 16GB of DDR3 - couldn't handle it, not even when outfitted with the GeForce GTX 980, the fastest single-chip graphics card available on the market today.

Really?

Seems to be a bunch of people with all kinds of cards like the gtx770 getting around 45+ outdoors and 60+fps indoors consistently. Not great, but possible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911735&page=30

Grief.exe

In my experience with The Evil Within on a 970/2500k has been that you can have a locked 60 FPS the vast majority of the time.

There are certain sections that are obviously unoptimized and Will dip your frame rate. For example, any time the game renders the bonfires in chapter 2.

RedSwirl

I honestly think it's just Japanese game design in this case. Do we know if the game logic is actually tied to the framerate? Wouldn't surprise me. Japanese developers tend to do it and it's not really a problem on consoles.

More importantly though, this is the first game I can think of that Shinji Mikami and his team have launched with a PC version. Previous games of his have eventually gotten PC ports but I would imagine he wasn't involved with any of them. I don't think Mikami actually has ANY experience developing games for Windows at all.

scitek

The worst thing about the game to me isn't no 60fps, it's the constant texture pop-in that idTech5 is horrible about. I hate that crap.

belmonkey

As terribly as it runs, a $400-$450 750 ti + i3 PC runs it as well as either console.

They really should have gone over the fact that the GTX 980 can manage to play the game fine at 1800p 30 FPS, even if it can't manage 60 FPS. We still need to even see if the consoles are even running at the settings they tested with.

He didn't cite any of those reasons though, read his post again.

Yes, he says it's just personal, I assume personal preference. And that preference can be because of many reasons. The default assumption should be that his console and PC experience are not exactly the same, which is something that many people on GAF seem to forget very often.

He'd still be able to chat with friends on the PS4 while playing it, you don't need a bluetooth receiver for a controller on the PC, and latter is easily achievable. The excuses people make up to discredit PCs never stop being silly!

I am not sure whether you are being sarcastic or not, but I do most of my gaming on the PC. And then he'd need to use a wired controller. And if his PC is in a different room or far from a TV removed then you need to shell out money to achieve that and it still isn't all that user friendly to switch between screens. At that point you are also using both the TV and PC when gaming which may not be desirable if you live with someone else.

There are a whole bunch of inconveniences.

Last gen consoles ended up on average having CPUs that were OK with shitty ram pools.

IdTech5 is just designed around this and busts a nut all over anything that is not last gen consoles. If the game is trying to pull highres textures at all, it requires inordinate amounts of powert o maintain a framerate. It is just how the jaloppy car that is idTech 5 works.

A bad engine design, simply put. Even Wolfenstein suffers from these issues.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
I don't regret my purchase of the game. The game itself isn't great, but is good and unique. However, even though Is technically the most demanding idTech 5 game, imo is also the worst looking overall.

Really?

Seems to be a bunch of people with all kinds of cards like the gtx770 getting around 45+ outdoors and 60+fps indoors consistently. Not great, but possible.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=911735&page=30
Getting 30fps locked is easy, but looks like is impossible to get 60fps locked atm.

Grief.exe

As terribly as it runs, a $400-$450 750 ti + i3 PC runs it as well as either console.

They really should have gone over the fact that the GTX 980 can manage to play the game fine at 1800p 30 FPS, even if it can't manage 60 FPS. We still need to even see if the consoles are even running at the settings they tested with.

I was looking at some benchmarks, even a 560 ti was outputting a average FPS of 29 at maxed settings and 1080p.

Console quality for $50.

ss_lemonade

Something odd is going on with this game CPU-wise. It benefits significantly from Haswell, which is very odd. The 3770K, being Ivy Bridge, is likely to perform much more similarly to the 2600K than the 4770K in this game. Why Haswell is faring so much better, I'm not sure; might be an AVX thing or benefitting greatly from cache bandwidth (where Haswell has a real advantage).

http--www.gamegpu.ru-images-stories-Test_GPU-Action-The_Evil_Within_-test-evilwithin_proz.jpg

Very weird, I wish some other site would confirm the data by running their own CPU benchmarks, including Ivy Bridge and Nehalem as well.

Reminds me of the gc/wii emulator dolphin which runs much better on haswell

Top Bottom