• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Want to play The Evil Within on PC at a locked 1080p60? No chance. (Eurogamer)

nilbog21

Banned
id tech 5 engine is so weird.. seems to run like shit in general, but i was shocked to see wolfenstein running at +60fps on my laptop..

FLAguy954

I think this is the most relevant benchmark I've seen.

http://gamegpu.ru/action-/-fps-/-tps/the-evil-within-test-gpu.html
idryvd7lBFlAT.jpg

The game doesn't appear to balance load correctly across CPU cores.

That graph just showed me that us PC gamers STILL have to deal with games that use one or two cores. Tango Gameworks suck at coding :/.

It's obvious what's going on here.

Microsoft has paid the developer to intentionally gimp the game on their own operating system. Bad Microsoft, bad...

Mupod

uh, it's not locked at 60, but I've had no problems playing at 1440p on a 2500k/GTX970. It's 60 most of the time, farthest I've seen it drop is 45. Seems like there's some specific graphical effects that have a major performance hit.

uh, it's not locked at 60, but I've had no problems playing at 1440p on a 2500k/GTX970. It's 60 most of the time, farthest I've seen it drop is 45. Seems like there's some specific graphical effects that have a major performance hit.

So, precisely as the thread title states.

Thrakier

I can't even wrap my head around how horrible this game is probably be coded. It doesn't even do anything special. It doesn't look groundbreaking, it has no groundbreaking game elements, heck, it even reduces the pixel density by introducing black bords. What the hell went wrong with the development?

Mupod

So, precisely as the thread title states.

It doesn't say anything about 1440p. I figured I'd be able to hit a locked 60 at 1080, but if this is a CPU issue then that's different.

Also, article makes no sense:

Forcing multi-sampling (MSAA) via the GPU control panel also fails to refine image quality to any noticeable extent, while Nvidia's built-in super-sampling technology - DSR - also seems non-functional on this particular title.

DSR is working great for me...only hiccup is the game minimizes during the intro videos and you have to click the icon.

Squishy3

And by then the game is probably going to be cheaper on PC than PS4.

¯_(ツ)_/¯

Sure. YOU did. I hate to break these shocking news to you, but... not everyone is you.
Hell, the game is already cheaper on PC. I saved $15 on my purchase.

Any problems with TEW's performance the blame should be placed solely on Tango Gameworks, though. They take an engine that is DESIGNED to be 60 FPS no matter what by dynamically adjusting resolution on the fly to maintain 60 FPS... and the first thing they do is lock it down to 30.

Moff

idtech 5 made both rage and wolfenstein a really bad pc experience for me, please kill that engine.

MadGear

Guess i acted a bit to quick, wanted to hold out on the game because of the 30fps target but bought it sooner because of people reporting that it seems to run well at 60fps with a 780 (and a voucher that was running out :D). I guess i have to see for myself how well this game runs.

I just. Don't. Get it.

How does this game run this bad? Wolfenstein was arguably more attractive but even if you disagree there's no arguing the performance (on PS4 at least). 1080p, a reliable 60FPS, crazy busy action scenes with explosions and physics and destruction, and no extreme letter-boxing. It's crazy to me that Evil Within runs so poorly for how it looks and what's going on.

But even so, idTech 5 has been a disappointment. I really, really hope Fallout 4 isn't running on it like some have suggested.

sn00zer

Why did they use Idtech 5 again...seriously, Im genuinely curious. Its an incredibly cumbersome engine, but is that way to reach 60. Are there any benefits to using it otherwise?

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
wait what... so my PS counter and my eyes are lying to me? because im playing a 1080p 60

edit: oh LOCKED at 60? I have no idea, im sure theres dips sometimes, I dont keep the counter up all the time. dont all games have dips?

Omega

Banned
OMG I CAN't play the game its not 60fps even though i can lock on 30
I must have everything

Even people saying i'm not buying this game anymore....

Shut up ur not buying it in the first place. If u were interested this technical stuff is not a problem. In the end, its about gameplay and story

lol this guy

kencey

Why did they use Idtech 5 again...seriously, Im genuinely curious. Its an incredibly cumbersome engine, but is that way to reach 60. Are there any benefits to using it otherwise?

It's indeed terrible. It's the same used in Rage right?

Teletraan1

Banned
Looks like these gaming PCs with their weak processors are bottlenecking these super duper well designed games and their engines. I knew Intel was just stringing us along for years and AMD can't even be bothered to compete.

EGM1966

What the hell did they do to the codebase? ID Tech 5 should ensure 60fps not struggle to reach it. They must really have made a mess of it somehow.

Maybe the heavy use of real-time light/shadow casting is what did the engine in. Rage and Wolfenstein relied heavily on baked lighting, and they ran fine.

Strange since it's Id. Their previous engine ran Doom 3, which was practically a pioneer in heavy use of real-time lights and shadows. Some would say the entire game was designed around the use of shadows, not just for visuals but gameplay. For them to create a game engine that can't handle that stuff is almost funny.

JJD

Just a shit port.

I'm playing on PS4 and think the game is quite a looker at times, thanks to its great art direction and lighting system. However the framerate is up and down like a yoyo at points.

Obviously the tech team at Tango is pretty incompetent, or they really should have gone with a different engine instead of trying to rework ID-Tech 5. Surely UE3 would have worked just fine for them?

Before it was revealed Mikami was working on a new survival horror game code named Project Zwei one guy posted on a 3D sculpting forum a lot of images of his work and of characters models he was making for a game on UE3 (I'll try to find the link, but it was a looong time ago). Turns out the guy was japanese and working at Tango and his models were for the Mikami game.

This was before Beth bought ID. I think the game started as a UE3 game and shifted to IDTech5 latter.

It's easy to dismiss the team at Tango as "pretty incompetent" but you have to remember they are a small team, made up of veterans and newcomers to the industry and they were probably forced to scrap their previous work and start again with tech they were not experienced with. Bethesda and Zenimax probably did this to avoid paying royalties to middleware providers.

Considerably bigger teams still had issues with IDtech5...hell even ID had issues. I don't know how Carmack and his team managed to drop the ball so hard this time.

It's a shame he left ID, I wonder how he would approach their next engine considering how their previous one performed.

Edit: Correction, this was not before Zenimax bought ID, but it was before even Project Zwei was revealed. I still believe the game started as a UE3 game.

Dr.Acula

Banned
What the hell did they do to the codebase? ID Tech 5 should ensure 60fps not struggle to reach it. They must really have made a mess of it somehow.

Tech5 used tricks like baked lighting to do it. If this team added in dynamic lighting and didn't have their own Carmack-quality coder, the game could very well end up performing poorly.

I feel like this word gets thrown around far too often nowadays. It's not unoptimized, it runs easily at 30fps. It technically doesn't even support 60, which is a bullshit thing but a different story entirely.

One could say that, for the graphics and scope it offers, yes it is unoptimized. Running "easily" at 30fps with a high end machine with said graphics isn't exactly something to praise.

Before it was revealed Mikami was working on a new survival horror game code named Project Zwei one guy posted on a 3D sculpting forum a lot of images of his work and of characters models he was making for a game on UE3 (I'll try to find the link, but it was a looong time ago). Turns out the guy was japanese and working at Tango and his models were for the Mikami game.

This was before Beth bought ID. I think the game started as a UE3 game and shifted to IDTech5 latter.

It's easy to dismiss the team at Tango as "pretty incompetent" but you have to remember they are a small team, made up of veterans and newcomers to the industry and they were probably forced to scrap their previous work and start again with tech they were not experienced with. Bethesda and Zenimax probably did this to avoid paying royalties to middleware providers.

Considerably bigger teams still had issues with IDtech5...hell even ID had issues. I don't know how Carmack and his team managed to drop the ball so hard this time.

It's a shame he left ID, I wonder how he would approach their next engine considering how their previous one performed.

Edit: Correction, this was not before Zenimax bought ID, but it was before even Project Zwei was revealed. I still believe the game started as a UE3 game.

This is my belief too. If so they should have just paid the fees to avoid the current situation. Lost sales based on performance are more damaging than paying the fee for using UE3, if this is the case. Especially for a new ip that they obviously want to succeed. Not saying that the game is bad at all, I enjoy it very much.

Hopefully whatever engine they are working on right now can avoid all the past mistakes that have been made. With their track record though I am not holding my breath.

Yep, no amount of powerful hardware will make a difference. There's definitely a software-related quirk.

PC is still the best version since it's possible to play at 30fps locked most of the time. There's more to the story than just number of frames drawn every second. There are programmatic techniques to mimic motion blur and ways to ensure frames are drawn at even intervals within a second to eliminate juddering. Most console games do this and The Evil Within does both on PC. When locked at 30fps it looks relatively smoother than if you take most PC games and vsync to half your display's refresh rate.

leadbelly

Banned
Playing with an xbone controller btw. Not sure if the "30fps locked is unplayable" people are using m/kb.

Yeah. A controller does help in that regard. Although, turning down the sensitivity of the mouse might help also.

It's funny actually, but I feel like super fast, twitch responsive gameplay would make the game little easier than it perhaps should be. Looking back on Resident Evil 4, it seemed like Capcom intentionally hindered or restricted movement to make the game more tense. I am not someone who finds a locked 30fps unplayable anyway, but I can see how controls that are a little less responsive might suit a traditional survival horror game. I at least feel the lower framerate would be less of an issue anyway.

That's not to say 30fps is objectively better than 60fps of course.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Since the engine is under Zenimax's roof, Bethesda doesn't need to pay licensing fees or royalties.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
edit: oh LOCKED at 60? I have no idea, im sure theres dips sometimes, I dont keep the counter up all the time. dont all games have dips?

99 percent of PC games, you can find a way to make it run at 60 all the time, assuming your hardware is powerful enough

Tain

It's funny actually, but I feel like super fast, twitch responsive gameplay would make the game little easier than it perhaps should be. Looking back on Resident Evil 4, it seemed like Capcom intentionally hindered or restricted movement to make the game more tense.

Nothing strange about it. I'm glad I'm using a controller for this game. And there's no doubt that RE4's aiming and movement were intentionally limited.

Sykotik

i7 2600k oc'd 4.5Ghz
MSI 7970 oc'd 1125/1575

The game holds 30fps without noticeable drops, and the mouse controls fine, apart from menus, which are still iffy at 60fps. I can hold 60fps fairly well in the later chapters @1080p, but it does drop. The early chapters have been worse, performance-wise. I'm a little over half-way through the game.

Can I play it at 1080p60 locked? No. Can I have an enjoyable experience at 1080p60 most of the time? Yup.

Top Bottom