• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Is it possible to see some screen shots without DOF on?

19XzNgP.png

DoF on

DoF off (started to rain when I took this, but wasn't going long enough to effect the road textures or anything)

scitek

That's because they are cubemap reflections. Deferred engines aren't so great handling reflections or alpha/transparency. You'd have to have Screen Space Reflections (SSR) everywhere, which would be incredibly resource intensive.

Yeah just look at the performance hit they have in Wolfenstein ffs. No way not having them should be held against Ubi, especially if infamous gets away with it.

With the muted colours, excessive DOF and glitchy headlights, all this has done is make the game look worse. If the guy can sort that out and enable POM, I might be interested. But for now, it's awful.

While I like the Bokeh effect in this picture, it kind of gives the impression that the hero is super short sighted - which would make sense since he looks at his smartphone like 90% of the time

What's really weird is that the "blur" effect starts immediately - you can see the line where it begins.

I could almost live with it if it was more gradual.

But the blur turns on like 15 feet in front of him at full effect and doesn't stop.

maneil99

Wonder what the performance impact is, maybe they took it out because it was too buggy and there was no point implementing a different system of DoF / Lighting for one platform. It will likely run alot worse if the modder is able to get everything running. Also watch out, Uplay might ban you, my friend got banned for using SweetFX in Far Cry 3.

rashbeep

Banned
In that screenshot the DoF is too much, absolutely. But on the darker screenshot I posted on the last page, we are getting close to a level of DoF that makes the game more real/cinematic.

If the effect can be toned down and not shift so awkwardly - it will be a good addition to the graphics.

These two look pretty good to me:

watch_dogs2014-06-161bffzn.jpg

watch_dogs2014-06-1615bbzj.jpg

I would hope that the effect can be very minor in gameplay and become more pronounced in focus mode.

Jexx21

Neo Member
Why do the colors look all washed out? I mean, the game in general looks better, but for some reason the colors look washed out with less saturation than the base game.

Hopefully Ubi will add a properly tested patch soon.

Great job to the modder who re-implemented them and great job to Ubi who coded them in the first place.

I love this game.

Wonder what the performance impact is, maybe they took it out because it was too buggy and there was no point implementing a different system of DoF / Lighting for one platform. It will likely run alot worse if the modder is able to get everything running. Also watch out, Uplay might ban you, my friend got banned for using SweetFX in Far Cry 3.

From my very modest system, there has been zero or very little difference. I'm still running 30-35fps in most areas with everything on max except motion blur (gives me motion sickness), shadows (on medium) and textures (high instead of ultra).

Sweet Jesus... This mod might have just make me a customer.

But I need to see an example of how it would run on a GTX 770 4GB Windforce Ed.

I don't feel like buying a Titan Black just for one game.

rashbeep

Banned
Why do the colors look all washed out? I mean, the game in general looks better, but for some reason the colors look washed out with less saturation than the base game.

Hopefully Ubi will add a properly tested patch soon.

Great job to the modder who re-implemented them and great job to Ubi who coded them in the first place.

I love this game.

I think it's from the ToD change that was made to make it look more like the older builds.

Sweet Jesus... This mod might have just make me a customer.

But I need to see an example of how it would run on a GTX 770 4GB Windforce Ed.

I don't feel like buying a Titan Black just for one game.

Everyone using said there is minimal performance impact, you should be fine.

Pyronite

Honestly I don't think there any conspiracy here.

If you look at games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, they scale vastly above the console versions on PC.

What I feel is more likely here is they abandoned these features long ago and then just assumed they either wouldn't work well and/or look good with the current version without actually testing it out, since they were presumably death marching to get the game out by the end.

People have no clue. This will be the more common reaction:

Ubisoft are such pieces of shit.

And it makes me feel sad.

Just played it for about 30 minutes with the mod and I can't wait for the DOF to be a little less pronounced in a future version. It feels like Aiden forget his glasses at the ctOS station...

Jexx21

Neo Member
People have no clue. This will be the more common reaction:

And it makes me feel sad.

I agree, I actually really like Ubisoft and I think that they're one of the better publishers out there.

Although I do think that they could let their devs breath a little more, give them some more development time.

Qassim

Without the mod, I get relatively minor stuttering (this is mine, the stutter occurs at 06 seconds: http://a.pomf.se/nhzlba.webm) - it's definitely lessened with the mod, but I'm getting a lot lower average framerates (averaging about 40fps).

I did have a look at the water in the rain though, and it's stunning.

With the muted colours, excessive DOF and glitchy headlights, all this has done is make the game look worse. If the guy can sort that out and enable POM, I might be interested. But for now, it's awful.

Weren't you the user in previous threads constantly posting that the graphics hadn't been downgraded?

MaLDo

TheWorse is turning ON effects for testing purposes. That's why he enbled full bokeh DOF in normal walking camera but effect will be customized in next mod versions. Color differences exist because he changed colorgrading values too. User feedback is important here so he can tune up best values for every effect/modification.

Maybe a future config tool could do the best for every user opinion :rolleyessh

scitek

I think my favorite part of all this was seeing TheWorse geek out yesterday when he realized ICEnhancer and Maldo had taken notice of his work.

Well, I guess Ubisoft will likely push these out in a few months as an official update to save face.

That's too much to ask of Ubi. I don't think they even care about this.
But this whole situation makes me just dumbfounded. Why in all hell do they lock out graphical features like these?

hacks_by_intheflorsh-d7mmzs6.png

The game really looks spectacular now.

Can you make another shot in the same place with the same daytime and weather conditions without the mod? For comparisons sake.

Nibel

In that screenshot the DoF is too much, absolutely. But on the darker screenshot I posted on the last page, we are getting close to a level of DoF that makes the game more real/cinematic.

If the effect can be toned down and not shift so awkwardly - it will be a good addition to the graphics.

These two look pretty good to me:

watch_dogs2014-06-161bffzn.jpg

watch_dogs2014-06-1615bbzj.jpg

Okay, these two look pretty good; nothing to complain here, hehe. The DoF fits with the rain I feel

Or crossing a busy road in the rain like Mr fucking Magoo.

I blame Dennis and his ruthless screenshot-taking-instinct

What's really weird is that the "blur" effect starts immediately - you can see the line where it begins.

I could almost live with it if it was more gradual.

But the blur turns on like 15 feet in front of him at full effect and doesn't stop.

That is what I don't like about the implementation as well, and I agree that it should be more gradual. But I think they didn't bother working on it?

All I know is that I liked GTAIV's DoF implementation and can't wait to see how GTAV PC shapes up in comparison to Watch_Dogs. I love when DoF is more subtle

riflen

Yeah just look at the performance hit they have in Wolfenstein ffs. No way not having them should be held against Ubi, especially if infamous gets away with it.

I'm quite certain that Wolfenstein uses a forward renderer BTW. That's been the case for all idtech 5 game so far.

scitek

I'm quite certain that Wolfenstein uses a forward renderer BTW. That's been the case for all idtech 5 game so far.

Ah, well what about Shadow Warrior? i remember them having that kind of performance hit in that game, too. Crysis 2 didn't seem to have a problem, though.

Faith

Changes 0.7:

Depth of field now has been changing to be playable for gameplay
Bloom has been changed so its not ovewhelming (still you need to tell me if this version is better)
Slighly changes to the lighting system including several settings from e3 2012 and e3 2013
Changes made to the rain system so now it should rain more between days, not all the time obviously.
Now the day will not be always clear
The tod system now is fully dynamic meaning there is no more delay on the shadow updates etc
Headlight shadows has been fixed
There will be 3 presets inside the rar to choose a closer, a normal or a further camera

And many more things inside including different settings for the civilian pedestrian density.
Sounds awesome guys. In less than 60 minutes we will get this :D

Top Bottom