• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

kudoboi

after trying this mod for awhile, i'm not a huge fan of the new colours/ contrast. Is it possible to revert the colours/ contrast back to the original game?

I only use the DOF selectively. If it didn't kick in so damn close when you're running around at eye level, I'd like it a lot more.

I can't resist in shots like this:

14247252849_93a3e32603_o.jpg

shandy706

If I'm going to play with DoF on, then it needs to only be there when "aiming/focusing" on something specific.

If I had to have it on during gameplay? I think, stopping and actually mulling it over, that I'd be ok with DoF as long as it starts at least 50-75 yards out. Even then....I'm not sure I'd keep it on.

I like the clean look of distant things. It would be nice if DoF was directly tied to heavy LoD drop off.

Will have to try 0.7 again. If the DoF is fixed and the headlights work all the time, the mod will be a definite improvement.

Still a bit worried about the weird reflections of the trees I saw on the water. They were skimming across the surface in a way that didn't seem real at all. Not sure what causes that.

Nokterian

Seeing 0.7 on the horizon..will wait when having money and get it cheap as possible. I love the modding community and ubisoft pls.

CamHostage

While I like the Bokeh effect in this picture, it kind of gives the impression that the hero is super short sighted - which would make sense since he looks at his smartphone like 90% of the time

The two videos I've seen of the MOD in action (I haven't looked that deep, just came across two and noticed the same thing) similarly show no artistry or control in the depth of field, it looked unplayable to me how blurry everything was at a distance (One clip, the guy shot the cement in front of him, and when it pulled out of his gunsights, the bullet holes were already blurred beyond visibility in just a slight bit of perspective shift.)

It makes for great screenshots and custom videos, but in gameplay, unless you can control your effects well enough to work effectively in various gameplay scenarios, you have to let fancy effects go when it affects gameplay ... that didn't stop the posters from lambasting the developers and saying that it "fixes" the game even though just watching a 2-minute clip gave me eyestrain, but to each their own, and if only Ubisoft had included these effects in the Ultra settings menu, each could have had their own.

(Note: I'm not talking about the headlamps and rain and other effects found by the MODer.)

So was this done to make the console versions look better/closer to the PC version?

I don't know. It depends on how they're implemented, but these effects are not outside the capabilities of PS4/XboxOne, and people are getting the MOD to run on mid-range PCs. And somebody else said on the thread that PC versions of Ubi products have not shied away from ultra-setting advantages (...though that was before next-gen consoles launched, there might have been some face-saving or even contractual QA parity involved... though then again, Ubisoft ran into such pain when the downgrade controversy started to hit hard, hard to say if they would have been in a better or worse position with a version out there to point to that came closer to the demo.)

According to the broad results displayed so far, my personal belief is that the effects were disabled just because they did not meet the grade. That said, the conspiracy theorists are making a solid case, and if the MOD is able to be tuned beyond the simple on/off (with some saturation variable tweaking) that TheWorse has achieved so far in so little time then Ubi deserves the shame it's getting. Looking forward to checking out 0.7

Ive Made some compairison webms. (with v.6)

ive tried to sync it as good as possible

The headlight shadows. I can't believe these were not in when it shipped
Even GTA IV had headlight shadows out of the box and that game is almost 6 years old.

The only differences I can make out by comparing these particular shots is a slightly different colour tone and the DOF.
But the modded one does feel more like the E3 build.

Unmodded:

Modded:

epmode

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/16/watch_dogs-graphics-mod-video/

Even RPS didn't really mention that this mod is just digging up hidden settings already in the game. That's surprising. I assume they're just pulling their information from some other new site rather than the actual source.

edit: Nevermind, they do mention it.

Unlike the likes of the ENB Series, which revamps games like Grand Theft Auto IV and Skyrim with new visual effects, it seems at least some of these Watch_Dogs settings were already present in Watch_Dogs but were disabled during development presumably for stability and performance reasons.

I only use the DOF selectively. If it didn't kick in so damn close when you're running around at eye level, I'd like it a lot more.

DOF turns off when running, it's only on when in the "walking" stance. it even goes away when you enter the "behind cover" stance.

For anyone not following the Guru3D thread:

Originally Posted by TheWorse View Post
Changes 0.7:

Depth of field now has been changing to be playable for gameplay
Bloom has been changed so its not ovewhelming (still you need to tell me if this version is better)
Slighly changes to the lighting system including several settings from e3 2012 and e3 2013
Changes made to the rain system so now it should rain more between days, not all the time obviously.
Now the day will not be always clear
The tod system now is fully dynamic meaning there is no more delay on the shadow updates etc
Headlight shadows has been fixed
There will be 3 presets inside the rar to choose a closer, a normal or a further camera

And many more things inside including different settings for the civilian pedestrian density.

Not up yet but hopefully soon.

For those wanting to know how a lesser system does...

AMD FX6300@ 3.8ghz HD7870 24GB ram (irrelevant, but just posting for completion)

Settings

Have shadows on med because it gives me the greatest performance without loss of visual quality IMO.

Before

After

I saw zero change to my framerate. It's during the day though, I'll try and get another set of shots at night. And yes, it feels like there is less stuttering when I'm driving, but I'm not noticing much of a change in my actual FPS so it may be in my head.

And like others have said, the current DoF effect is all over the place... If you sit still it randomly shifts back and forth between closer and further depth, rather disorientating... but it's just a simple click away from being disabled... which I'll likely do since leaving DoF on contributes to my motion sickness.
Thanks for the effort to have better comparison.
But here on my ipad I can't tell any improvements but only the dof to be looking like gta4 on ps3 levels of low lod.

Care to take more shots, pretty please?

Edit: Oh snap, webms are here but jo way of watchingbthem on ipad :/

The headlight shadows. I can't believe these were not in when it shipped
Even GTA IV had headlight shadows out of the box and that game is almost 6 years old.

The only differences I can make out by comparing these particular shots is a slightly different colour tone and the DOF.
But the modded one does feel more like the E3 build.

Unmodded:

Modded:

Yeah, the changes are not as substantial as I thought they were when I took that screenshot.

Axass

Honestly I don't think there any conspiracy here.

If you look at games like Assassin's Creed 3 and Splinter Cell: Blacklist, they scale vastly above the console versions on PC.

What I feel is more likely here is they abandoned these features long ago and then just assumed they either wouldn't work well and/or look good with the current version without actually testing it out, since they were presumably death marching to get the game out by the end.

I could buy that explanation... if there hadn't been a huge backlash about the downgrade in Spring with all the following clamoring to see a PC version on par with the 2012 demo.

After all the shit people threw at them... they forgot to check a bunch of values?

Mononoke

Banned
As someone that ended up loving Watch Dogs (really surprised I ended up liking this), kind of let down I got the PS4 version. I've always bought games on PC (as I have a really nice gaming rig that can do Ultra Settings). But I was scared off by all the launch issues, and I figured PS4 version was at least stable. Plus I didn't have any games for PS4 (as all my gaming has been on Vita/Wii U or PC lately).

My 21:9 monitor is weeping right now.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2014/06/16/watch_dogs-graphics-mod-video/

Even RPS didn't really mention that this mod is just digging up hidden settings already in the game. That's surprising. I assume they're just pulling their information from some other new site rather than the actual source.

edit: Nevermind, they do mention it.

They should make a better headline to get the point across it's not a mod but simply edits withing already existing game files.

"Watch_Dogs original graphical effects found in game files" wouldn't stretch the truth.

Faith

The mod is almost done, I don't know if the changes to the lighting are really noticiable but if someone of you does a comparisson like dementei It'll be great.

And I thank you guys so much for your support. I'm making the last changes right now.
0.7 incoming! :D

riflen

Ah, well what about Shadow Warrior? i remember them having that kind of performance hit in that game, too. Crysis 2 didn't seem to have a problem, though.

I'm not very familiar with the RoadHog engine used by Shadow Warrior and Hard Reset. Looks like it uses a deferred renderer though. Quite interesting interview with developers here: http://www.dsogaming.com/interviews/flying-wild-hog-talks-shadow-warrior-64bit-cpu-optimizations-mantle-mod-tools-future-plans/

The mod is almost done, I don't know if the changes to the lighting are really noticiable but if someone of you does a comparisson like dementei It'll be great.

And I thank you guys so much for your support. I'm making the last changes right now.

dis-gon-b-gud.gif

Qassim

It is a mod though. Do you know what 'mod' is short for? These are modifications being done to the default state of the game, even if it's a modification enabling content or functionality that exists in the game already, it's still a mod.

Yeah, an unofficial patch is still a "mod", but I don't understand why people are so caught up with semantics as it doesn't change the situation.

It is a mod though. Do you know what 'mod' is short for? These are modifications being done to the default state of the game, even if it's a modification enabling content or functionality that exists in the game already, it's still a mod.

No, that would be called game settings. With the exception that these game settings aren't available to the user.
Changing values in .ini files is not modding.

Top Bottom