• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Watch_Dogs original graphical effects (E3 2012/13) found in game files [PC]

Why don't people ever consider these things in context of possible situations? (not talking about you, quoted you because I feel like you are putting things in context)

Cause it's much more fun (especially in light of what this thread is all about) to put it in this thread without any possible context.

It IS funny given the situation, but with the console and PC ports in works at the same time, you can be guaranteed code from both cross pollinated with each other.

From "deferredambient.inc.fx":

yGCQWdT.jpg

Lol.

r-kelly-usher-shocked-music-video-reaction-gif-1363306207k.gif

Somebody confirm this.

Garcia

Seems very unlikely that that comment is real. Can anyone here find it on theirs?

I'm pretty sure plenty of us are still skeptic about that comment being legit, but anyone else could eventually confirm or debunk it; I mean, it's part of the source code.

Qassim

No, that would be called game settings. With the exception that these game settings aren't available to the user.
Changing values in .ini files is not modding.

A mod or modification is the alteration of the program code of a video game in order to make it operate in a manner different from its original version.

Those values you see are an abstraction from the underlying code. It's a modification of the game past its original state exposed by the application.

However minor, it's still a modification - don't go all weird on me and start changing definitions of words. Those files are not intended to be user editable - they're there for modification by the application or as static, unchanging files to be referenced.

The settings in something like GameProfile.xml are there to be user editable, they are edited by the user via the application (traditionally) - so I wouldn't call changing values in there a mod.

Why are you so butthurt, dude? I am 100 percent sure you don't even do this kind of modding. Who are you exactly to define what modding is and what it's not? Jeez, people like you are a cancer to any community - judging and calling names, without any valuable input.

Just so you know, changing these values is a part of game design process. People who are changing them are game developers too. Or do you think that only people who write engines are game developers? This is ridiculous, I hope you change your ways and stop putting people down.

Fucking Ubisoft and it shows they don't care.

91oLA.gif

I'm not going to bother quoting the other thirty replies with snarky gifs, but this is painfully fake. It was just a user on guru3D thinking they're funny.

Yeah, it sucks that they didn't bother to turn this stuff on for the PC version, but goddamn. Ubi didn't do it because of some vendetta they have against PC gamers, or because MS and Sony paid them off. The most likely scenario is this stuff just never really worked properly and was too taxing for current gen consoles.

Version 0.7 is out.

Changes 0.7:

Depth of field now has been changing to be playable for gameplay
Bloom has been changed so its not ovewhelming (still you need to tell me if this version is better)
Slighly changes to the lighting system including several settings from e3 2012 and e3 2013
Changes made to the rain system so now it should rain more between days, not all the time obviously.
Now the day will not be always clear
The tod system now is fully dynamic meaning there is no more delay on the shadow updates etc
Headlight shadows has been fixed
There will be 3 presets inside the rar to choose a closer, a normal or a further camera

And many more things inside including different settings for the civilian pedestrian density.

0.7 Version uploaded to mega, as always Read the readme please.

https://mega.co.nz/#!WJYgVYrS!uu5lSdcggF1z7bCaFmGOTCFkp1F7HWdJeoXFBtwl6PA

Why are you so butthurt, dude? I am 100 percent sure you don't even do this kind of modding. Who are you exactly to define what modding is and what it's not? Jeez, people like you are a cancer to any community - judging and calling names, without any valuable input.

Just so you know, changing these values is a part of game design process. People who are changing them are game developers too. Or do you think that only people who write engines are game developers? This is ridiculous, I hope you change your ways and stop putting people down.

Okay, let's not get hung up on the definition if the word "mod" then.

What's essential here is that the modder "re-enabled" something that was already within the game's files. He didn't "re-create" as the artcles describe it.
Now YOU chill down aswell.

Edi: Btw, I did not create the webm.

to be fair, the comments you see in commercial product source code... can often be quite racy.

Anyone remember that there was a pic of a dev's bare ass in the source code of some pc games... halo?

If a certain error happened the game would crash and a popup would come up with that pic describing the error. ESRB made them them take it out.

From "deferredambient.inc.fx":

yGCQWdT.jpg

Lol.

I only know Java, but looking at that code, the else statement with that comment makes me think that code is either not expected to be called outside of some PCs and so does something that makes the game different (like displaying something else instead of what's supposed to be there) and since its only going to happen on a few PCs its not worth the effort to fix, or as someone else said, it's console code that got ported to PC and someone forgot to remove that comment.

Nokterian

Version 0.7 is out.

Changes 0.7:

Depth of field now has been changing to be playable for gameplay
Bloom has been changed so its not ovewhelming (still you need to tell me if this version is better)
Slighly changes to the lighting system including several settings from e3 2012 and e3 2013
Changes made to the rain system so now it should rain more between days, not all the time obviously.
Now the day will not be always clear
The tod system now is fully dynamic meaning there is no more delay on the shadow updates etc
Headlight shadows has been fixed
There will be 3 presets inside the rar to choose a closer, a normal or a further camera

And many more things inside including different settings for the civilian pedestrian density.

Now time to buy a cheap version of wash doges somewhere.

Yasae

Banned
gamespot has an article about it and sooner or later more sites will follow, whatever creates clicks will be posted and looking at the views this thread has you know the IGNs and polygons soon will have something up, that means they will contact UBI for comment and UBI will have to respond, like i said, cat is out of the bag

The number of views is historically high, so yeah.

1,000,000+ views in 10 hours says yes.
And they'll spin or deny. Never in a million years would they own up. Their attitude towards the downgrade was already ghastly.

...and was too taxing for current gen consoles.

But that's the issue. Not some code comment that's probably fake. The issue is that it appears that they gimped, deliberately since the code still shipped with it able to be turned on, the PC version just so there was parity. Because god forbid everyone realises that the return of the king wasn't all they hoped it would be.

Did Ubisoft kill GAF's dog or something? Some of the vitriol that's been slinging around for the past few weeks, I've never seen for any other company/devs. Crazy stuff.

Those values you see are an abstraction from the underlying code. It's a modification of the game past its original state exposed by the application.

However minor, it's still a modification - don't go all weird on me and start changing definitions of words. Those files are not intended to be user editable - they're there for modification by the application or as static, unchanging files to be referenced.

Yes, and all video games are RPGs since you play a role in them. Don't go trying to change the definitions of words.

Just saying. The literal definitions of words aren't always what the accepted usage of them are meant to express.

AkuMifune

Banned
PC Gamer re-did their headline

C4UDIQu.png

Still garbage.

Calling it a mod may technically be correct, but makes implications about the code that are false. It also buries the fucking headline behind semantics. 'Mod' has come to generally represent user-created content. This shit is in the game.

Top Bottom