• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

Bear

AbsoluteZero said:
I think you'd be surprised how many Wii owners never owned a Gamecube.

This. Probably 95% of the Wii owners I know couldn't care less about BC and most didn't even have a Gamecube. This is a model targeted at the biggest possible market, and most people don't still use a console that hasn't gotten any support for 5 years.

FyreWulff said:
Would it be accurate to say about roughly 8 out of every 9 didn't? Comparing GC sales versus the Wii's...
More like 7 of 9, if every GameCube owner also got a Wii. Also not trying to guesstimate that one console could've been owned by multiple people at different times and such things.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
d5wEKrkKzIo48re1LybrP4KITcnkuCox.jpg

Looks like it's coming to America too, in just this color/bundle for now. October 23 and $149.99, includes New Super Mario Bros. Wii and the Super Mario Galaxy OST.

therapist

ANyone who owns a wii has bought one by now , this is stupid.

ALso i have retro usb ports for nes / super nes controllers which plug into the gamecube ports , so this would be totally useless in such a situation.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
therapist said:

I could see myself getting one of these at $100 as an extra Wii, or a replacement Wii, or as a gift (my older sister could definitely use one.)

therapist said:

ALso i have retro usb ports for nes / super nes controllers which plug into the gamecube ports , so this would be totally useless in such a situation.

Which is why you own a Wii with Gamecube controller ports on it.

m.i.s.

Banned
adroit said:

Thanks!

While the new Wii console retains exactly the same sleek look and same dimensions as the original Wii*, it is slightly reconfigured to remove backwards compatibility with Nintendo GameCube titles and controllers and offer maximum value in the here and now!

* The newly configured Wii console retains the same physical dimensions as the original Wii console: Height 157mm, Width 44mm, Length 215.4 mm.

So now you know!

Boerseun

Banned
therapist said:

Did you mean to type "everyone who wanted a wii bought one by now" ?

And no, I don't agree. Marketing serves the function of convincing people that they want something. There are many potential Wii owners out there. All they need is a bit of convincing.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Ushojax said:
It comes with a blue nunchuck! I must eBay one of those immediately, I hate having to use a different coloured one with my blue remote.

Bastards! I hope we'll start seeing the nunchuk sold separately otherwise it'll be paying over the odds for a second-hand one on eBay.

Pink next!

A 3rd Party accessory company NEEDS to make a GC-style Classic Controller so we can use it on Wii U. Try the U Tablet will suffice as would the CCPro, but still. :p

DDayton

(more a nerd than a geek)
Hero of Legend said:
A 3rd Party accessory company NEEDS to make a GC-style Classic Controller so we can use it on Wii U. Try the U Tablet will suffice as would the CCPro, but still. :p
The Hori Wii Classic Controller is basically that... still need to get one...

Hero of Legend said:
Nintendo should just do it themselves. Really they should just start selling CCs for all their past systems that are represented on Wii/Wii U (NES, SNES, N64, GC), they'd make a killing off it. Sega and ASCII should do a Saturn pad too.

FyreWulff

I'd want an N64 one the most, but the ones I was looking at worked through the GameCube port and didn't hook into the Wiimote, so those are a no-go for using on the Wii U.

fernoca

M.I.S. said:
Thanks!
While the new Wii console retains exactly the same sleek look and same dimensions as the original Wii*, it is slightly reconfigured to remove backwards compatibility with Nintendo GameCube titles and controllers and offer maximum value in the here and now!

* The newly configured Wii console retains the same physical dimensions as the original Wii console: Height 157mm, Width 44mm, Length 215.4 mm.
So now you know!
Meh, just found out about this.

The only thing/way I was "liking" the prospect of this new Wii was that it could be smaller; plus all the pics faded the back so it was never sure.

But the official measures..and the same box showing that it looks the same too ..

RtnYY.png

Oh well. :/

Top Bottom