• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

I can't believe anyone would want a Wii with lack of BC, just for a tiny price cut and even smaller size...

It better be no more than $49.99-$79.99, at this point.

Majine

Banned
I cant imagine why they would scrap the stand. Hey, Lets make it even more similar to the Wii U...

Also, RIP Black Wii?

Tyeforce

TheExplodingHead said:
I can't believe anyone would want a Wii with lack of BC, just for a tiny price cut and even smaller size...

I'm pretty sure by this point most people who don't already have a Wii don't really care about playing GameCube games, lol. Though the lack of GCN backwards compatibility is a bummer, especially because it means no GameCube controllers for Brawl. But again, most people who care about using a GameCube controller with Super Smash Bros. Brawl probably already have a Wii. =p

FyreWulff

perfectchaos007 said:
Still no DVD player??? The Wii not having a DVD player has given my life more problems than Nintendo said it would. Yeah it better be under $80

DVD playback license would make manufacturing a Wii cost more to make even after cutting out the GameCube components.

FyreWulff said:
Don't you know? When they release a new model, everyone's GC ports on their existing Wiis will just fade away.
and SSBB will suddenly become the next hot item at holiday, everyone will want to play that, and with a wavebird, the other hot item at holiday!

Dany

Banned
FyreWulff said:
DVD playback license would make manufacturing a Wii cost more to make even after cutting out the GameCube components.

I don't understand this. Almost anything and everything that has a drive in it to accept discs can read a damn dvd, is is REALLY that costly?

Dany M said:
I don't understand this. Almost anything and everything that has a drive in it to accept discs can read a damn dvd, is is REALLY that costly?
If every damn dvd device with a dvd drive can read dvds, which there are plenty of them available, why should Nintendo yet make another device to do that? Wii is used for streaming a lot (as much as the HD consoles combined), but how many people watch DVDs using 360 or even PS3? Blu-ray, yes; DVD?

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Dany M said:
It does cost money to pay for DVD consortium licensing. Worse, it's a cost they can never reduce through their manufacturing process over time...

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
walking fiend said:
If every damn dvd device with a dvd drive can read dvds, which there are plenty of them available, why should Nintendo yet make another device to do that? Wii is used for streaming a lot (as much as the HD consoles combined), but how many people watch DVDs using 360 or even PS3? Blu-ray, yes; DVD?

if there are so many air molecules in the air why should we need yet another air molecule to do the same thing the others do?

and fwiw, i use my ps3 as my sole dvd player. the other dvd player i had crapped out.

FyreWulff

Dany M said:

There is a minimum license fee per device (and other fees) and you must have certain output capabilities on the device. From what I remember the DVD fee per-device was 20$ and is supposedly 10$ now, but you also have to have stuff like coax output, which the Wii does not have.

This is why Microsoft didn't let you play DVDs in the original Xbox without buying the DVD remote dongle. They got around it by essentially making you pay the DVD license fee (I remember the dongle cost 25$ or so) to even watch them.

Of course, Sony had no problem including the drive for the fee since they got their money back anyway.

While MS and Sony, being multimedia companies can look at the costs for DVD inclusion, wasting 10-25$ per console on DVD playback royalties and components that just line the pockets of your competitors when the vast majority of the populace has 5-7 devices in the home that play DVDs already.. yeah. They're really not trying to replace your existing DVD devices. MS and Sony WANT to replace your existing DVD playback device.

It will more than likely be the same story with the Wii U. It will be a Blu Ray format disc but it won't play Blu Ray movies so Nintendo doesn't have to pay the Blu Ray license fee per console and per game.

Dany M said:

I just moved into my new place and none of us have a DVD player. I brought my Wii and that's it. Life would be so much easier if my Wii had a DVD player

AndyMoogle said:
No Wii has ever had an official way of playing imported games. At least it's extremely easy to make your Wii region free. And no risks involved either.
But nintendo went out of its way to update firmware to block freeloader.

When it comes to the DS, they didn't do anything about regions there either. It's the DSi and 3DS that have different regions for the games. Not that I condone region protections for anything, but they never changed it for the DS.
Exactly, the DSi had firmware built in to prevent playing imported games and recently they discontinued the DSLite.

Regarding the rest... Not really anything that affect the fans. They buy a console early on and don't have to miss out on those things.
You can be a fan and still want to wait till the price is lower, wanted games to come out and/or certain problems are fixed.

Dany

Banned
FyreWulff said:
While MS and Sony, being multimedia companies can look at the costs for DVD inclusion, wasting 10-25$ per console on DVD playback royalties and components that just line the pockets of your competitors when the vast majority of the populace has 5-7 devices in the home that play DVDs already.. yeah. They're really not trying to replace your existing DVD devices. MS and Sony WANT to replace your existing DVD playback device.

It will more than likely be the same story with the Wii U. It will be a Blu Ray format disc but it won't play Blu Ray movies so Nintendo doesn't have to pay the Blu Ray license fee per console and per game.

I mean if you have DVD playback then you have that much more people turning on the wii to play the dvd's. I see it has a hub to play games and movies where I can totally see Nintendo not allowing that to happen in the Wii U. The 360 and notably the PS3 can essentially replace your dvd players as it has games/dvds/blu-ray and more all in one box.

davepoobond said:
if there are so many air molecules in the air why should we need yet another air molecule to do the same thing the others do?

and fwiw, i use my ps3 as my sole dvd player. the other dvd player i had crapped out.
cause it's not free?

just because a very small portion of people don't have any type of DVD player for whatever reason, doesn't mean that Nintendo should add this to the Wii.

You can be a fan and still want to wait till the price is lower, wanted games to come out and/or certain problems are fixed.
if you really care that much about the price and want to play GC games, buy either a used GC or a used Wii, it will be cheaper.

Oh, and you wanted games to come out and they came out after 5 years and you want a new Wii, not a used one? The only major Nintendo game that will be released is SS which will be released before the current Wii goes out of production and current Wii will definitely remain in stock for a reasonable time after being discontinued. So, just buy the regular Wii, not the family edition, problem solved.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
perfectchaos007 said:
I just moved into my new place and none of us have a DVD player. I brought my Wii and that's it. Life would be so much easier if my Wii had a DVD player
Homebrew.

Jackano

Dany M said:
I mean if you have DVD playback then you have that much more people turning on the wii to play the dvd's.
This. Good point here Jr.

Nintendo wants people to bring their 3DS outside like they do with their mobile phone; They will need some thing like DVD playback if they want to achieve the same thing with Wii U (people turning it on more often in the living room).

Jackano said:

Nintendo wants people to bring their 3DS outside like they do with their mobile phone; They will need some thing like DVD playback if they want to achieve the same thing with Wii U (people turning it on more often in the living room).
regarding Wii U, there's a pretty stupid lost opportunity as well; people may use the second screen to watch DVDs, while some else watches TV.

No GC ports? Smash is all I play on Wii. Lol. Well TvC aswell but no GC ports means no non wireless fight sticks soooooooo Nintendo can shove it.

herod

Jackano said:

The future isn't really DVD playback is it? Nintendo could be lining up every video streaming service for the Wii U for all we know.

FyreWulff

herod said:
The future isn't really DVD playback is it? Nintendo could be lining up every video streaming service for the Wii U for all we know.

Wii is one of the main platforms for Netflix. It's the console that's pushed when you are on their site.

One would assume that Netflix will be on Wii in the launch window.

Jackano

walking fiend said:
regarding Wii U, there's a pretty stupid lost opportunity as well; people may use the second screen to watch DVDs, while some else watches TV.
Nice idea!

herod said:
Of course, but in my opinion, DVD is kind of a standard now, it will not disappear just like that because of the BluRay.

radioheadrule83 said:
They don't look anything alike, one looks exactly like the existing Wii and comes in a box branded Wii, the other will come in a different box branded Wii-U, showing a controller with a screen and the new shape console... it will likely say "HD" somewhere on the box, and whenever you walk into a gaming store, they'll probably have some form of HD Nintendo / Wii-U promo running on screens clearly identifying that its new, they'll have a prelaunch pre-order campaign and posters highlighting the "new" nature of it all. The prices will be very different, and packaging for Wii-U games will also be different and adorn separate shelf space...

Some of you are seriously trying to make mountains out of molehills. People are stupid, but they're not as stupid as you think. Everyone seems to be basing their product-confusion hypotheses on 3DS, and making the assumption that Nintendo will gladly make the same marketing mistakes twice...

They know this already. Some people just need to bitch for no reason.

I wasn't confused at e3 I knew that a new console was being announced.

mclem

perfectchaos007 said:

Are there any pure DVD players for homebrewed Wiis? That's being a little specific; I'm well aware that there are media players which can play VIDEO_TS data (and have used it myself), but I've never actually seen anything which handles all the frontend stuff.

Admittedly, 99% of the time, VIDEO_TS playback is all I actually need.

mclem

Jackano said:

Streaming a DVD to the tablet would be a huge feature.

The problem with Netflix integration is that it's a US-only service; great for you guys, a bit meh for us. They need separate deals for the various European services (Although I believe Netflix is looking to expand out to here, so maybe it'll follow through in time).

TunaLover

Starwolf_UK said:
This is the part I don't get. So now Nintendo need two production lines. One for Europe, one for rest of world. I'm just hoping its the usual "its a secret to everyone" that Nintendo loves.

Then again, they could be using a Europe as a test market (again?).

At this point the whole NoE vs NoA situation seems like a NCL internal joke.

TheExplodingHead said:

I think you're overestimating how many Wii owners even knew the Gamecube existed.

Mlatador

Banned
Oh yeah, cool, a redesign. looks like a wii put horizontally, big deal.

I really wonder how many people, who are complaining about no gc compatibility, actually don't have a wii yet, but want one, therefore planning on buying one, so that the gc compatibility is a serious matter for them.

With that in mind, I ask myself, why these people just haven't bought a current model with gc support already (it's cheap enough), instead of complaing about no gc support.

Polari said:
Pretty disappointing when you consider the guts of the thing, surely they can make it much smaller.

I agree wholeheartedly. I mean look at the thing:

vii-inside.jpg

Souldriver said:
Is this the Super Playboy Gamestation 3000, sold everywhere in China's electronics stores?

Edit:
I guessed right. It's the vii.

sometimes they add a few lead weights inside the product to make it seem heavier

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
walking fiend said:
cause it's not free?

just because a very small portion of people don't have any type of DVD player for whatever reason, doesn't mean that Nintendo should add this to the Wii.

you're right, it's not free. we're paying for the cost of the Wii when it comes down to it. It's a useful feature whether or not Nintendo thinks it is or not.

they obviously let Netflix exist on the Wii so they have to agree that people would want to use the Wii to watch videos and movies.

I used to have a launch Wii, but I sold it a while back. At £79 with a couple of games bundled I'll be re-buying.

Zelda is coming, plus I'll be able to use the controllers (I'll get at least 1 more wiimote and nunchuck) with the Wii U when it comes.

AzaK

Dany M said:
I mean if you have DVD playback then you have that much more people turning on the wii to play the dvd's. I see it has a hub to play games and movies where I can totally see Nintendo not allowing that to happen in the Wii U. The 360 and notably the PS3 can essentially replace your dvd players as it has games/dvds/blu-ray and more all in one box.

I agree, there's definitely value to Nintendo in having you use the device more often. More chances to let you know about new games/services etc, and more chance of you deciding to buy something in the eshop for instance if you have it there in front of you already. I guess they need to be happy that it would add more profit to them over the life of the console than the cost of adding it.

Bumping this as I'm trying to find out the EU release date. I've had no luck, but I know some of you folks are a lot more "in the loop" than I am.

Is there any word (or rumor) more concrete than "before Christmas" yet?

I really want to buy this!

fernoca

AbsoluteZero said:
I think you'd be surprised how many Wii owners never owned a Gamecube.
And even seeing threads from around, how many ignored that the Wii was backward compatible with the GameCube to begin with. :p

Top Bottom