• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii redesign [Pictures, No Backwards Compatibility/GameCube Controllers, Keeps Wi-fi]

BurntPork

Banned
[Nintex] said:
But then again they send us this press release today:

new model of the Wii-system
Well, it is a new model, isn't it? I mean, it's definitely not the current model.

Title should be changed to say "revision."

KevinCow said:
PS3
PSP
PS2

Not to nitpick, honest question: didn't the consoles I left in the quote get branded by the company as "slim?" Or was that a press thing?

I even remember the PSP 2000 getting branded as "slim and lite" for a while.

Shall I just post the whole thing?

Those looking for the perfect present for all the family this Christmas can look no further than the new value Wii bundle. It not only offers great value to European fans, but introduces a streamlined Wii console with a slightly altered configuration*, which is designed to sit horizontally, rather than vertically. The bundle includes the newly configured Wii console in white, a Wii Remote Plus controller, Nunchuk, and copies of Wii Sports and Wii Party. A number of other Wii bundles will be announced this autumn, all offering great value for the family this Christmas...

*Please note that the new configuration Wii is no longer compatible with Nintendo GameCube software or accessories

How there seems to be more reaction to this thing than the bizarro PSP revision I don't know.

The Crimson Blur said:
No more BC/Gamecube controllers?

Thats a terrible sign for the Wii U.

And the Smash community.

No support on Wii U was confirmed long ago.

Whoa this will confuse the shit out of the consumers, especially after WiiU drops. Sounds stuuuuupid, what's up in the console world lately.

MisterHero

I wonder if the same parts will provide hardware backwards compatibility for Wii U

I hope it's hardware based

KevinCow said:
PS3
PSP
PS2
SNES
NES
Genesis

It's really only been Nintendo's handheld line and the PSone that have gotten new names after a redesign.
360 is a fair argument, but it had so many SKUs a new label wouldn't mean much
Playstation 3 became PS3
PSP wasn't rebranded but the model names were how they were known (much like 360 and its chipsets)
PS2 became PStwo
SNES had the SNES2 revision
NES had the NES2 revision
Genesis had 2 revisions though the 3rd version was actually labeled Genesis 3. However, I did see a Megadrive II box.

The names didn't take over as the overall platform labels though.

BurntPork

Banned
DefectiveReject said:
Nope. They dumped all GC parts too. Probably therefore swapped the disc drive too
And I bet there was a die shrink, resulting in lower power consumption and a smaller power brick.

Johnny

I'm really not understanding how everyone is seeing some drastic cosmetic difference when all that's changed is text orientation. Maybe it's because my Wii is already set up horizontally, I don't know.

I generally prefer later console revisions, they tend to be simplified aesthetically, smaller, more efficient. This is one that I'm going to pass on however as there doesn't seem to be any real cosmetic difference or efficiency gain.

This is how you do it...

wD7Fc.jpg

AM4kK.jpg

fVC3D.jpg

SmRQb.jpg

KevinCow

Banned
DefectiveReject said:

"Slim" has never been the name of a system. When you buy a redesigned 360, PS3, PS2, or PSP, it doesn't say 360 Slim, PS3 Slim, etc. on the box, but just Xbox 360, Playstation 3, etc. I don't know if Sony or MS ever actually called them slim. People just call them that to differentiate.

The 360 bundles and new colors aren't really the same as a redesign. I was referring to the slim 360.

The PSP Go, sure, that's another one that was renamed. I was referring to the progressively smaller iterations of the regular PSP. They had internal names of 2000, 3000, and so on, as I'm sure this new Wii does, but they were still just marketed as the PSP.

sangreal

MisterHero said:
PS2 became PStwo
Genesis had 2 revisions though the 3rd version was actually labeled Genesis 3.

Of these, only Genesis 3 was an official name

DR3AM

Dreams of a world where inflated review scores save studios
how much will it cost? thoses things probably dont cost more the $40 - $50 to make

MisterHero said:
I wonder if the same parts will provide hardware backwards compatibility for Wii U

I hope it's hardware based

360 is a fair argument, but it had so many SKUs a new label wouldn't mean much
Playstation 3 became PS3
PSP wasn't rebranded but the model names were how they were known (much like 360 and its chipsets)
PS2 became PStwo
Genesis had 2 revisions though the 3rd version was actually labeled Genesis 3. However, I did see a Megadrive II box.

The names didn't take over as the overall platform labels though.

PS3 was PS3 before it even launched. Model numbers and chipsets is laughable. PS2 was never rebranded as "PSTwo" like the PSOne. SNES and NES revisions didn't have new names.

edit: damn, beaten and beaten and beaten

KevinCow said:
"Slim" has never been the name of a system. When you buy a redesigned 360, PS3, PS2, or PSP, it doesn't say 360 Slim, PS3 Slim, etc. on the box, but just Xbox 360, Playstation 3, etc. I don't know if Sony or MS ever actually called them slim. People just call them that to differentiate.

Some of the PSP boxes have Slim & Lite written on the sides actually :p

xandaca

I don't see what's changed. I compared the image with the Wii which was sitting on the table (horizontally) on the table in front of me and the proportions look identical. Also seems to me a bad idea to release this within a year of the Wii U's launch: just as there was reportedly a lot of confusion with people buying 3DS games for the normal DS, thinking that the enhancements were in the games themselves, this also strikes me as being bound to run into the same trouble when both consoles are in the same marketplace. Given the year they're having, no surprise Nintendo want to save money by losing some of the Wii's features, though.

watershed

Banned
xandaca said:
I don't see what's changed. I compared the image with the Wii which was sitting on the table (horizontally) on the table in front of me and the proportions look identical. Also seems to me a bad idea to release this within a year of the Wii U's launch: just as there was reportedly a lot of confusion with people buying 3DS games for the normal DS, thinking that the enhancements were in the games themselves, this also strikes me as being bound to run into the same trouble when both consoles are in the same marketplace. Given the year they're having, no surprise Nintendo want to save money by losing some of the Wii's features, though.
I think confusion between the wii and wii u is gonna happen no matter what though this will probably exacerbate the situation. I don't think Nintendo expects this new model to spark sales on the merit of a redesign or "reconfiguration". My best guess for Nintendo releasing this new model is that it is significantly cheaper to manufacture so they would rather this wii be the legacy model that they continue to make and sell at a low price over the next 3 or so years until the wii dies completely.

MisterHero

Leondexter said:
PS3 was PS3 before it even launched. Model numbers and chipsets is laughable.
Yeah I was including model numbers and chipsets as they were at least mentioned in official capacity, though you guys are right; they were not marketed that way (maybe though with PSP).

"Playstation 3 to PS3" however is a brand overhaul to go with the PS3's new model. It went from the new console itself to the boxart. I do consider it a renaming like PSone.

dacuk

I think that, if Nintendo wants to attract new buyers with this sorta new Wii, they could manufacture it in other colors to help customers distinguish it from old models.

To be frank, I think the redesign is to save some cents removing the GC components, without any real gain or new feature on the Wii, what is actually a shame; a lost chance on adding more memory or a HDMI port, or a real physical redesign.

As another mentioned, they'll likely be able to put in a cheaper DVD drive also. Let's hope this can get them to knock $50 off of the price. A $100 Wii at Christmas would be a force.

Edit - A die shrink/chip consolidation should have happened last year.

disco

Maybe the console sits horizontally because the cheaper parts wouldn't work particularly well if the console was sat upright? I remember the PS2 was always marketed upright but I was told by many that it wasn't great to keep it upright whilst in use.

Fredrik

Why is this thread this long?
It's a Wii stripped of parts almost none of us uses to make it cheaper to manufacture to get some money back from what they're losing on every 3DS that is sold.
So?

hardcastle_mccormick said:
We've known for months that there is no Gamecube BC in the WiiU.

Yeah but there was speculation of a USB version of the GC controller coming out as a replacement.

Looks like Ninty is moving on from GC controllers wholesale.

I don't see how this redesign is going to confuse people any more than the original Wii, considering they look the same. So knocking it on its side does matter that much?

BurntPork

Banned
Fredrik said:
Why is this thread this long?
It's a Wii stripped of parts almost none of us uses to make it cheaper to manufacture to get some money back from what they're losing on every 3DS that is sold.
So?
Because of how similar it looks to this.

NEWS_Nintendo_of_Japan_Releases_Wii_U_Specs-400x223.jpg

jooey

The Motorcycle That Wouldn't Slow Down
BurntPork said:
Because of how similar it looks to this.
Actually I think it's because people are trying to convince themselves it does look like the Wii U despite the amazing gif showing and telling and proving them otherwise. They rotated the text and made the disc slot pucker up a bit. Wow it's... the same!!! Largely, though, it's because their irrational and immature Wii hate needs some coals thrown on the fire but instead, like every single thread on a console redesign in GAF history, most everyone who posts "ugly" or "i don't get it" or "this won't get hardcore gamers to buy it" proves they're idiots that have no real concept of this industry and its historical trends and my palm does not leave my face for the better part of the week.

Josh7289

What, it looks exactly the same. This is pointless for the consumer. It just seems like a way for Nintendo to save money (cutting out GC compatibility) in the wake of the 3DS price cut.

Also why would they think of releasing a new Wii system so close to the Wii U? Did they forget that so many people are still under the impression that the 3DS is just another DS? What are these people going to think when they see the Wii, redesigned Wii, and Wii U all lined up next to each other?

BurntPork

Banned
jooey said:
Actually I think it's because people are trying to convince themselves it does look like the Wii U despite the amazing gif showing and telling and proving them otherwise. They rotated the text and made the disc slot pucker up a bit. Wow it's... the same!!! Largely, though, it's because their irrational and immature Wii hate needs some coals thrown on the fire but instead, like every single thread on a console redesign in GAF history, most everyone who posts "ugly" or "i don't get it" or "this won't get hardcore gamers to buy it" proves they're idiots that have no real concept of this industry and its historical trends and my palm does not leave my face for the better part of the week.
The Wii U already looks like a redesigned Wii, and the only saving grace was that Wii is marketed vertically, while Wii U is marketed horizontally. Now, that's gone, and the Wii U is in an even worse position. Nintendo either needs to hire completely new marketing and design teams or resign to the fact that Wii U will not outsell Gamecube.

Josh7289 said:
What, it looks exactly the same. This is pointless for the consumer. It just seems like a way for Nintendo to save money (cutting out GC compatibility) in the wake of the 3DS price cut.

Also why would they think of releasing a new Wii system so close to the Wii U? Did they forget that so many people are still under the impression that the 3DS is just another DS? What are these people going to think when they see the Wii, redesigned Wii, and Wii U all lined up next to each other?
The Wii U's not coming until November 2012. After all of this stuff with 3DS, Nintendo's done taking chances with launches outside of the holiday.

watershed

Banned
Josh7289 said:

I believe the new wii model will replace the current wii model. The wii u looking so much like the wii is unfortunate but I don't think the issue will be compounded by this new wii model. If you read the pr Nintendo isn't really pushing the new model they are pushing new value bundles that come with the new model. So there shouldn't be any advertising cross talk between the wii and the wii u. The rest will be determined by branding and the style of advertising Nintendo opts for to promote the wii u.

fernoca

Johnny said:
I'm really not understanding how everyone is seeing some drastic cosmetic difference when all that's changed is text orientation. Maybe it's because my Wii is already set up horizontally, I don't know.

I generally prefer later console revisions, they tend to be simplified aesthetically, smaller, more efficient. This is one that I'm going to pass on however as there doesn't seem to be any real cosmetic difference or efficiency gain.

This is how you do it...

http://i.imgur.com/wD7Fc.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/AM4kK.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/fVC3D.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/SmRQb.jpg

Apparently size-wise it is smaller. Just take your Wii and cut it around 1/3 (i.e. the area of the GCN-controller/ports) and this is the new size; square shaped instead of the rectangular shape of the current model.

Guess we'll see, too bad about no plans for the US.

Josh7289

artwalknoon said:
I believe the new wii model will replace the current wii model. The wii u looking so much like the wii is unfortunate but I don't think the issue will be compounded by this new wii model. If you read the pr Nintendo isn't really pushing the new model they are pushing new value bundles that come with the new model. So there shouldn't be any advertising cross talk between the wii and the wii u. The rest will be determined by branding and the style of advertising Nintendo opts for to promote the wii u.
I see. The more I read about it the more it seems Wii U is going to be a tough sell to consumers. Hopefully Nintendo has learned from 3DS about how to launch a system.

So basically this Wii redesign really is just about Nintendo cutting their own costs? No prices cuts for consumers?

watershed

Banned
Josh7289 said:
I see. The more I read about it the more it seems Wii U is going to be a tough sell to consumers. Hopefully Nintendo has learned from 3DS about how to launch a system.

So basically this Wii redesign really is just about Nintendo cutting their own costs? No prices cuts for consumers?
No price cuts mentioned as of yet. I don't think there is gonna be any, the new EU bundle comes with 2 games, wii sports resort and wii party I believe. The speculation is that this new model is cheaper to produce making it the preferred legacy wii to manufacture from now on and to recoup some of the losses Nintendo is taking with the 3ds price cut.

Diffense

With the Wii U Nintendo seems stuck between making a clean break and cashing in on the Wii's legacy.
In many ways it mirrors their failed 3DS launch strategy and in light of the blow-up there, I wouldn't be surprised if they're going back to the drawing board wrt to at least some aspects of the new console.

They'll have to scrap dreams of selling it for a lot of money and they'll need compelling launch software.
I believe it's the Wii's putrefaction (as far as software is concerned) combined with a likely Wii U delay that helped force drastic action with the 3DS.
Since 3DS is the platform they'll have to rely on to take them through the transitional period.
IMO, the Wiidesign is all about affordability since the HW is still selling and they can make money with it.

KevinCow

Banned
Josh7289 said:

This kind of thing happens a lot. The GB Micro, the PStwo and PSone, I think the NES and SNES redesigns, the just announced new version of the PSP; they all came out around or even after the release of their successors. Lowering the price is good, but lowering the price and releasing a new version gets more attention. It's a good way to get one final burst of sales before moving on to the next thing.

Keep in mind that not everybody is like us. There is a whole market out there that doesn't keep up with the latest video game technology, some because they can't afford it, others because they don't care enough about video games to invest that much into them. There is a reasonably large number of people who buy games a generation behind because they get really cheap. As a kid, I had some friends who were always a generation behind in games. When everyone else had an N64, they were just getting an SNES; when everyone else moved on to Gamecubes and PS2s, they were just getting an N64.

The PS2 survived as long as it did thanks to this market, and while the Wii probably won't do nearly as well post-Wii U as the PS2 did post-PS3, I'm sure a new, cheaper model will sell reasonably well for a year or two.

FyreWulff

Josh7289 said:

It will definitely give them breathing room to do a price cut. I see it as more consolidation of their Wii production lines, since they currently have (had?) to run two separate ones with GC and ones without for Korea. They'll be down to one model, worldwide.

Cutting 4 controller ports and two memory card slots while keeping the same sized case will probably also help with heat. I think at this point they're limited by the space needed to have stable mounts for the DVD drive in terms of shrinking the actual size.

I'll be amused if the firmware for this version still shows the GameCube disc on the Disc Channel :)

Top Bottom