• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

fritzon

Neo Member
Even the old passwords from the SMS version.

That's fantastic!
This all made me go through the shelves to dig up my (fathers) copy of the original game and as I remembered his old passwords are scribbled on the manual. Can't wait to play this after so many years.

EueR1D5.jpg

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood
Of COURSE there's a ratings issue preventing the Xbox version releasing in Australia.

Fuck this country sometimes I swear.

bock

Still not on the eShop as of 8 am on the 18th.
Sigh.

It appeared at midnight in Japan on eShop but no sign in Europe and USA yet (in spite being past midnight here). PS4 appears to be synchronized to midnight from what I heard. At this point I'm not sure many people know what are Nintendo policies with release hours/timing?

maxcriden

It appeared at midnight in Japan on eShop but no sign in Europe and USA yet (in spite being past midnight here). PS4 appears to be synchronized to midnight from what I heard. At this point I'm not sure many people know what are Nintendo policies with release hours/timing?

I can't speak to JP but from what I've observed NA and EU eShop games typically go up midday on launch day rather than at midnight unless they are first party games, in which case they release at midnight.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So just to clarify, this is NOT a remake of one of the three games included in the XBLA Wonder boy collection years ago?

Rlan

So just to clarify, this is NOT a remake of one of the three games included in the XBLA Wonder boy collection years ago?

No. The Monster World collection had

Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Monster World) (arcade version)
Wonder Boy in Monster World (Wonder Boy V: Monster World III) (Sega Mega Drive)
Monster World IV (Sega Mega Drive)

Dragons Trap is Monster World II, which was omitted.

-hadouken

Managed to fit in an hour when it dropped at midnight last night. At work now, but can't wait to get back to it - they've done a wonderful (pun unintended) job of stirring my childhood nostalgia whilst making it fresh again. Feels so bold, and so fluid.

I don't usually go in for remade visuals (see my avatar for evidence of that), but I'm completely onboard with this one. Importantly, it doesn't feel, look or play like a modern high-res flash game. Playing with FM sound for this go through (see advanced settings in retro) despite the remix being tastefully done.

Considering the software gap on Switch, WBDT deserves to hit it big.

Oh man, i'm not enjoying this at all :l The game looks so pretty, which i love. But it controls so badly, something just doesn't feel right. I was really looking forward to this, but so far its pretty disappointing.

d00p

Neo Member
Oh man, i'm not enjoying this at all :l The game looks so pretty, which i love. But it controls so badly, something just doesn't feel right. I was really looking forward to this, but so far its pretty disappointing.
Are the controls sluggish or not precise? Was just let down by bomberman R's controls, now this? This is why we need demos.

Skeletos311

Eagerly anticipating this. I'm a big fan of Wonder Boy in Monster World and Monster World IV, but I never played much of Dragon's Trap.

Are the controls sluggish or not precise? Was just let down by bomberman R's controls, now this? This is why we need demos.

You can try the game on an emulator if you really want to.

Cerium

It's an 8 bit game at its core. The gameplay hasn't been changed at all.

I've been wondering how that would hold up in a modern context.

Long live the D...and this OT. Well done! Very Informative, especially for someone like me that always gets mixed up between the Wonderboy/Monster World lore.

Vitet

Remember it's still a 8-bit game. Some sliding (mostly as lizard-man) feels off and the enemies paths are too simple and mechanic. Try to enjoy the game as a whole and train a bit of every transformation capabilities, they're only a few and can get you out of any situation if you anticipate the simple AI of most enemies.

Shpeshal Nick

aka Collingwood

The original had a "slippery" or sluggish feel to it.

I'd say that's been maintained in this one. It was never about precise platforming in this game.

Hero

This was my favorite Sega Master system game back in the day! I could never beat it as a kid. I got it for Wii VC years ago and never beat it.

They say third time's a charm! ;)

WITHE1982

Playing myself and it handles exactly how I remember. It may look like a modern game but mechanically it's still an 8 bit platformer. Give it an hour and you should adjust. It's all stored in muscle memory for me. I slid back into it like a nice pair of comfy socks.

I've opted for the new HD visuals but, despite the new music being very good I just cannot resist the old music. It's really stiring some great memories. Fantastic stuff so far.

Edit: Am I right in thinking it just uses the old password system for saving? I've not read anything about them implementing a newer save option. I'm perfectly fine with it TBH. I just want to know if I need to be jotting them down.

SenkiDala

The Nintendo Life review says that the only bad point of the game is the fact that like the original game, it can be beaten in an evening. Are there any hidden things to do? Like hidden levels, weapons or whatever?

Never played a Wonderboy game so I dunno, I wanted it though but it was back in the time when video games were not welcome at all at my home so... :D

ggx2ac

The original had a "slippery" or sluggish feel to it.

I'd say that's been maintained in this one. It was never about precise platforming in this game.

That's the best way to describe it.

Your player has momentum when moving so they don't stop immediately when you let go of the Dpad.

But this game doesn't require precise platforming, the controls aren't hard to get use to once you understand those movements.

They could've refined the controls to make it tight like if you compare the original super Mario Bros to New Super Mario Bros U.

But, such a change to the gameplay could have betrayed expectations to the people that played the original game.

Which platform?

PS4.

I'm going to keep playing, i probably just need to get used to the controls. Maybe i've been spoiled by other platformers. One thing that does keep happening, is that i get stuck on enemies. I jump into one by accident i sort of get stuck and keep getting damaged for a second or 2, not sure if that's right.

Vitet

The Nintendo Life review says that the only bad point of the game is the fact that like the original game, it can be beaten in an evening. Are there any hidden things to do? Like hidden levels, weapons or whatever?

Never played a Wonderboy game so I dunno, I wanted it though but it was back in the time when video games were not welcome at all at my home so... :D

There's many weapons and armor you can collect. They're not necessary to beat the game and some are well hidden. Also heart containers.

Neff

PS4.

I'm going to keep playing, i probably just need to get used to the controls. Maybe i've been spoiled by other platformers. One thing that does keep happening, is that i get stuck on enemies. I jump into one by accident i sort of get stuck and keep getting damaged for a second or 2, not sure if that's right.

You can get juggled around when hit by multiple enemies, but you'll only take damage from that first hit, and it'll only register when you touch the ground.

Woooo, finally on the Australian eShop.

Messed around for a few minutes so far, it looks so beautiful on the Switch screen. Can't wait to fully dive in.

SenkiDala

There's many weapons and armor you can collect. They're not necessary to beat the game and some are well hidden. Also heart containers.

Thanks. So it adds replay value, that's cool.

People who play on Switch, the game is in 60fps on it too?

berva

Neo Member
Looks amazing on the Switch handheld screen! Switching between current graphics and retro graphics is a dream.

BSpot

Can you unlock shortcuts or something? Having fun but I got to the part with the mouse where if you go down you go underwater and can return to village or go up to the Tower. Is it possible to return and then do the Tower without all the stuff leading up to it?

D.Lo

That's the best way to describe it.

Your player has momentum when moving so they don't stop immediately when you let go of the Dpad.

But this game doesn't require precise platforming, the controls aren't hard to get use to once you understand those movements.

They could've refined the controls to make it tight like if you compare the original super Mario Bros to New Super Mario Bros U.

But, such a change to the gameplay could have betrayed expectations to the people that played the original game.
I would have preferred an option. The original legit has bad controls IMO, the biggest weakness of this version is its adherence to the original in controls. That said, it actually adds extra animation as 'tells' on the slipperiness.

Top Bottom