• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

ggx2ac

I would have preferred an option. The original legit has bad controls IMO, the biggest weakness of this version is its adherence to the original in controls. That said, it actually adds extra animation as 'tells' on the slipperiness.

Yeah, I guess an option for refined controls would have been an okay compromise.

It's funny, I'm very certain the prequel Wonder Boy in Monster Land (Arcade) didn't have such slippery controls, you would be slow but getting gear would make you faster but you'd only be slippery on ice.

Looking forward to downloading this when it goes live in the U.S. (West Coast). I never owned the Sega Master System but I played the original game at my brother's house a few times. I was a kid in the NES era, thus I'm a sucker for nostalgia and retro goodness. I will most likely be switching between the current and retro graphics throughout my play through. :)

It looks like reviews are going live.

Here's mine: http://www.cubed3.com/review/3791/1/wonder-boy-the-dragons-trap-playstation-4.html

Cubed3 said:
Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap is a superb remake. It's a flawless port with various minor improvements sprinkled throughout. It's also drop-dead gorgeous. The original game's age is clearly shown when it comes to matters such as equipment and level design. Even with these issues, the quest still hits all of the right notes. It doesn't waste the player's time, nor does it ever get overly frustrating. Each leg of the adventure makes a lot happen with very little, thanks to smart enemy placement and rock solid fundamentals. Altogether, this journey is one that any generation can find joy in.

7/10

EDIT: Oops! I didn't see the review thread.

Firebrand

If they changed how the characters controlled I would literally not buy it. I wanted it exactly how it played in my childhood.
Maybe not a high bar, but I think it controls wonderfully for a game of the era, even more so when comparing it to stuff like Metroid, Castlevania, etc

Can you unlock shortcuts or something? Having fun but I got to the part with the mouse where if you go down you go underwater and can return to village or go up to the Tower. Is it possible to return and then do the Tower without all the stuff leading up to it?
If you bailed with Return, sorry, gotta trek all the way back there. The return exists a shortcut back to town after doing the dungeon.

Rlan

Played this over the weekend with an early code. Love the visuals, and found the game really fun.

As someone who never really played any of the Wonderboy games to completion as a kid, it was a great romp and een repeating sections I found not to be tedious.

The main issue, as a newbie, is that some of the "Special" powers given by certain objects are rather obtuse and don't actually say what they do. Particularly the
Tasmanian Sword which I kind of fumbled into its power, & Hades Armor's description should just say "Revives its wearer once"
Also
Died many times to Vampire Dragon, not realizing I hadn't gotten The Legendary Items from the MEKA castle. After I did, it was a cakewalk

Honestly kind of hope that this does extremely well so A) We see more like this, and B) we get a new Wonder Boy game in the same style.

ggx2ac

Just started playing, I guess my brain still remembers what to do.

Hence, I'm used to the slippery movement controls with how to attack enemies.

Rizzi

I think I found a secret that wasn't in the original game. Or at least I don't remember? It's been a while since I've played it.
There's a hidden door on the platform directly above my character that I could only get to as Piranha Man.
Here.

Ahhh it's so good! <3

I can't stop switching between the different options though lol. I think I prefer playing with the retro SFX, the new ones a bit plain/boring and the retro ones are awesome and give a nice nostalgia boost.

Having said that, the retro ones can get a bit jarring over the top of the new style music. *shrugs*

mollipen

There's a slight twist on this new version that's currently driving me crazy, because I've not been able to figure out two parts to that twist yet. Otherwise, my review is now over in the reviews thread!

Skeletos311

Is it up yet?
Is it up yet?
Is it up yet?
Is it up yet?
Is it up yet?
Is it up yet?

I've checked the eShop like 20 times today.

Freeman76

To the devs of this game:

This was my first real gaming experience. My parents bought my brother a Master System with this game and every time I could manage to persuade him to let me play it for a but I would remove Psycho Fox or Alex Kidd from the cartridge slot and in went this game. Its pure nostalgia for me, and nice that at 41 years old I have an updated version all to myself and my Brother has no say in when I get to play haha!!

You've done a great job with this, thank you.

I can't speak for the rest of the world, but this is almost guaranteed to launch on the NA eShop at 12 PM, Eastern Time / 9 AM Pacific Time, like pretty much every other eShop release, outside of certain first party titles, which tend to unlock at midnight.

jwk94

Does Wonder Girl being a male in animal form bother anyone else?

There's a slight twist on this new version that's currently driving me crazy, because I've not been able to figure out two parts to that twist yet. Otherwise, my review is now over in the reviews thread!
Slight twist?

It's the hardest part too by far. Those bloody ninjas.

I think I'm done. Being asked to get through The Underground and then that next section with no checkpoint is too much.

liquidtmd

Banned
Dammit why do I have to work today! Want to tear into this.

QQ - I've PM'ed a few Mods about tweaking the title but I've just noticed those mails don't show up in my sent box - strange. If anyone else knows how to get it corrected to

Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap OT | What is The Secret of Your Power?

That'd be great

Loving it but this version is definitely easier. Went back to my master system and my turbogfx and confirmed it. Enemies hit WAY harder and money doesn't drop as easily and things cost a shitton to buy.

Not a complaint just an observation. I got piranha man with no issues but in the original games it was a bit of a challenge but I breeezed through it on switch.

liquidtmd

Banned
Loving it but this version is definitely easier. Went back to my master system and my turbogfx and confirmed it. Enemies hit WAY harder and money doesn't drop as easily and things cost a shitton to buy.

Not a complaint just an observation. I got piranha man with no issues but in the original games it was a bit of a challenge but I breeezed through it on switch.

I've not had chance to play it yet, what's the Hard Mode like?

ggx2ac

I'll pray for you.

Hmm, I don't think I've seen those yet.

I just spammed boomerangs.
I just got hawk man and the
Tasmanian Sword.
which is good since I had forgotten the transformation room locations.

jwk94

I just spammed boomerangs.
I just got hawk man and the
Tasmanian Sword.
which is good since I had forgotten the transformation room locations.

Bruh, where'd you get boomerangs? Have you been stockpiling them??

ggx2ac

Now I just need to farm gold to get the rest of the items before I finish the game.

Bruh, where'd you get boomerangs? Have you been stockpiling them??

I've only died once and I just happened to have 4 at the time when you'd only need two.

_______

Edit:

Oh wow, I just came back to the
Dragon's castle
and the rendition of the song they are doing sounds like the wonder boy in monster land version.

Nice.

jwk94

Now I just need to farm gold to get the rest of the items before I finish the game.

I've only died once and I just happened to have 4 at the time when you'd only need two.

_______

Edit:

Oh wow, I just came back to the
Dragon's castle
and the rendition of the song they are doing sounds like the wonder boy in monster land version.

Nice.
Well that makes sense.

XaosWolf

Switch release dates/times are weird already. Why is it waiting for the usual eShop weekly update time 2 days before the usual weekly update time?

Snake Pass was available to download before I went to work in the morning (BST) and now Wonder Boy still isn't up despite a midnight release in Japan.

So NoA and NoE?

Still not as bad as Steam's 7PM+ release times

jwk94

Switch release dates/times are weird already. Why is it waiting for the usual eShop weekly update time 2 days before the usual weekly update time?

Snake Pass was available to download before I went to work in the morning (BST) and now Wonder Boy still isn't up despite a midnight release in Japan.

So NoA and NoE?

Still not as bad as Steam's 7PM+ release times
My last Nintendo console was a Wii, so this whole two-day update thing is still weird to me. Like, why?

ggx2ac

And I just finished the game.

I only bothered getting back the legendary weapons. It was too much grinding gold for the rest of the weapons

So it turns out you get to keep human form this time around after finishing the game.

This game is really fun.

Playing the modernized version first and love the animations and music, and the fact that you can switch it up on the fly.

cireza

And I just finished the game.

I only bothered getting back the legendary weapons. It was too much grinding gold for the rest of the weapons

So it turns out you get to keep human form this time around after finishing the game.
Did you find
the 6 new hidden areas ?

Top Bottom