• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrasslin Discussion: Week of July 3rd.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
Christopher said:
and kang for the burn again...ouchhhhh

It would be a burn if anything he said was true. But it wasnt. Punk is light years ahead of where people like HBK and HHH were at so early in their careers. That match with Venus was also pretty damned good considering the circumstances and much better than 95% of the crap we see on Raw every week.

Nameless

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
Fat guy who puts on shitty matches because he's not in the indies anymore. Same as Punk except replace fat guy with pretty-boy.No he doesn't. He's no more special or unique than Matt Bentley or Chris Sabin. His match with Val Venis on Heat showed that, when you put this guy on a WWE camera, he looks like every other long-haired, tattooed white guy that comes through the system. Hey, Shannon Moore dressed up unique and had his own style, let's all jerk off to him.

It's cute that you like him so much, but all your hype is doing is setting up every single person on this forum that doesn't know about him for disappointment. He's not that special. I didn't know being straight-edge and stealing everyone else's original moves makes a guy special. Anyone could do that.

He's a great wrestler, but stop with this silly fanboy bullshit.

Stealing moves? There are very few wrestlers, american ones especially, who have a totally unique move set. I would disagree, Joe, Styles, Low Ki, and Punk are the cream of the crop, as far as the recent spike in notoriety that the indy scene has gotten in the past couple of years. Watch that match agianst Venis again, Punk was able to get over with the crowd more than any generic jobber that no one knows wrestling a low-card guy on heat. Besides, Punk is not a spot wrestlers like half the X-division. His matches are based around wrestling, first and foremost, and his use of in-ring psychology. He doesn't go in and just shit out spots with no rhyme or reason.

I'm not hyping him that much at all. The extent of my Punk talk has been "Punk better debut" "Punk better debut" yada yada, unless someone had a question about him. The regulars in this thread, or too knowledgable about wrestling to expect everything great about a guy on the indy scene to translate to the WWE of all companies--and their are plenty of easy to find Punk content on the web for them to see why I like the guy so much.

Come on, admitt one thing, Punk maybe the most celebrated, hyped, and talked about indy talent of all-time. For "smarks" and hardcore wrestling fans to rally around this guy he has to have something...About 3 pretty big wrestling boards that I lurk on went down when this guy debut last night.

Nameless

Man, Sabu and RVD really ****ed things up for ECW. Sabu, RVD, Angle, Show, Test, Knox, Sandman, and Punk are the only guys that are currently being pushed--everyone else has been fodder for those guys on TV or at the houseshows. Sabu, and RVD are out 30 days ATLEAST, and there is no telling when Angle will return(some reports have him going back to SD anyway). I really can't envision anything but squash matches for the next few weeks because the majority of the roster have been reduced to jobbers in the new ECW, if they already weren't in the WWE.

pilonv1

punk6kn.jpg

Fat guy who puts on shitty matches because he's not in the indies anymore.

....What?

Joe has been in some of the best matches on PPV since he showed up in TNA. His feud with AJ and Daniels was GOLD.

Sorry Kang, I think you've gone off the deep end.

pilonv1

Outcast2004 said:
....What?

Joe has been in some of the best matches on PPV since he showed up in TNA. His feud with AJ and Daniels was GOLD.

Sorry Kang, I think you've gone off the deep end.

Agreed. Name one bad Joe TNA match. There aren't any. Even the Steiner match was decent.

Now bad Punk matches? Everything in OVW. Including the 401 matches with Albright.

Some damn good TNA news.

TNA IMPACT DOES BEST RATINGS TO DATE ON SPIKE TV, YET AGAIN
by Mike Johnson @ 11:05:00 AM on 7/5/2006

The 6/29 edition of TNA Impact scored another 1.1 rating. The series continued to deliver male demographics for Spike TV with a 1.3 among Males 18-49, a 1.4 among Males 18-34 and an average audience of 1.4 million viewers.

Overall, it was the best consecutive rating for TNA on Spike TV, yet again. The hour placed Spike TV first for that timeslot among Males 18-49, Males 18-34, Males 25-34, and Males 35-39

In comparison to it's old Saturday night timeslot, TNA Impact is up 31% in Household ratings, 59% among Males 18-49, 90% among Males 18-34 and 32% in their average audience. Spike TV's rating for TNA's timeslot is up 209% from a year ago, where it aired comedy blocks of the Lance Krall sketch show and Most Xtreme Challenge.

I wonder what percentage of that rating is people forgetting to change the channel after The Ultimate Fighter.

Impact has two new shows debuting before it this week. Uh oh!

Brian Fellows

Pete Carroll Owns Me
pilonv1 said:
Agreed. Name one bad Joe TNA match. There aren't any. Even the Steiner match was decent.

Now bad Punk matches? Everything in OVW. Including the 401 matches with Albright.

The match with Sabu was boring as shit. Then again everything Sabu has ever done is boring as shit. So I dont hold that against Joe.

Brian Fellows said:
The match with Sabu was boring as shit. Then again everything Sabu has ever done is boring as shit. So I dont hold that against Joe.

Containing Sabu in a cage is a bad idea altogether. He's one that needs to have all sides open to fly about and do the crazy shit he's known for.

Hell, Sabu had a BROKEN arm during that match. Add in partially scalped and chopped off the end of his finger. The guy is a ****ing warrior.

Samoa Joe vs Christopher Daniels at Final Resolution was drizzling shit. It was the one they stopped early because Joe wanted to kill him. Good for his character, bad to do on a PPV.

vs Sabu was pure garbage. vs Steiner was as good as you can get from him but still not enjoyable.

It's been almost a year since we saw a good match from him, imo. (I thought the Joe vs Daniels rematch on Impact was boring as shit.) We need more of the Joe from Joe vs Punk II and Styles/Daniels/Joe.

Triumph

Banned
Kang is hilarious. He bitches about other people bemoaning the state of wrestling, but then will turn right around and bitch about the state of wrestling. I wonder, does he even LIKE anything being shown today? Why bother watching?

Triumph

Banned
It's quite regular for you to make a snarky comment when someone is bitching about WWE creative or fantasy booking. Then you turn around and say Joe hasn't had a good match in a year... so I wonder, what do you watch wrestling for? The Spirit Squad?

Bloodwake

Triumph said:
It's quite regular for you to make a snarky comment when someone is bitching about WWE creative or fantasy booking. Then you turn around and say Joe hasn't had a good match in a year... so I wonder, what do you watch wrestling for? The Spirit Squad?

This man has a point.

Triumph said:
It's quite regular for you to make a snarky comment when someone is bitching about WWE creative or fantasy booking.
What?

I hate people that fantasy book, but I don't see how that relates at all to hating on people that hate the program.

I'm curious about when I've defended WWE bookers from criticism here, though.
Triumph said:
Then you turn around and say Joe hasn't had a good match in a year... so I wonder, what do you watch wrestling for? The Spirit Squad?
One of the reasons is Samoa Joe. It's not my fault he hasn't had a good match. I know he's capable of it. It's like saying "Kurt Angle hasn't had a great match in half a year," which he hasn't, and equating that with a person hating Kurt Angle and wrestling as a whole. It doesn't make sense.

World Wrestling Entertainment earlier this week announced it was investigating five violations, including drug possession, levied against Rob Van Dam and Sabu by the Ohio State Highway Patrol. WWE announced today that based on information gathered over the past few days, Van Dam has been suspended without pay for 30 days and Sabu has been fined $1000. These actions are consistent with the Wellness Policy at WWE.
!

Bloodwake

Honestly, this is the best WWE could have done in the situation.

They couldn't afford to lose both stars, but they needed to enforce their own Wellness Policy. Therefore, the one that was in the highest limelight they suspended without pay, but kept the other one, fining him.

I approve. Good job, WWE.

I'm curious about when I've defended WWE bookers from criticism here, though.One of the reasons is Samoa Joe. It's not my fault he hasn't had a good match. I know he's capable of it. It's like saying "Kurt Angle hasn't had a great match in half a year," which he hasn't, and equating that with a person hating Kurt Angle and wrestling as a whole. It doesn't make sense.

...and with that, you'd be very wrong. Sorry Kang, i think you're going to be on your own with that statement.

Bloodwake said:
Honestly, this is the best WWE could have done in the situation.

They couldn't afford to lose both stars, but they needed to enforce their own Wellness Policy. Therefore, the one that was in the highest limelight they suspended without pay, but kept the other one, fining him.

I approve. Good job, WWE.
Well Sabu only got caught with a bowl and some prescription pills. RVD got caught with everything.

Alur

SpeedRazor said:
Did anyone snag this before WWE pulled it from Youtube? What was it?

I'm curious to read what he said as well.

And 30 days for RVD and $1000 for Sabu? Orton got 60 days for his attitude, WTF. I know they need em, but damn.

Triumph

Banned
Alur said:
I'm curious to read what he said as well.

And 30 days for RVD and $1000 for Sabu? Orton got 60 days for his attitude, WTF. I know they need em, but damn.
Yeah, but Orton sucks.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Orton's a repeat offender who has never been over with the audience. His height of popularity was during the RNN promos.

RVD can argue - with varying degrees of success, I'm sure - that the WWE was more than willing to use his "wink-wink" pothead reputation to their advantage when it came to his gimmick and push. Sabu? Well, he's Sabu and a potentially valuable asset to the ECW brand. No sense in ****ing him over just yet ...I honestly feel that Vince is more pissed that they got caught more than anything. The Vicodin is another story. :(

Rob you dumb ****.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Evolution my ass. HHH and Flair carried Orton and Batista until it was time to turn the golden boy face. He flopped, DAVE picked up the ball and ran with it while Orton crapped in bags and swore he was a "Legend Killer". Um, yeah.

Orton won the belt from Benoit in a feud that felt thrown together, got embarassed the next night by Evolution, and lost the belt to Triple H within a month. I don't think he had enough time prove himself as either a flop or a success.

I'm not trying to make any excuses for Orton. I haven't liked him since he was in Evolution. I just don't think he was put in a spot to succeed the same way DAVE was. They handled the Triple H and DAVE thing perfectly after screwing up with Orton (he shouldn't have been champ so soon).

I'd say Randy was pretty damn successful as a part of Evolution. Sure he was surrounded by Flair and Triple H, but he had a hot feud with Foley and was IC champ for a long time. Propped up by other stars or not, it was still the most successful stint of his career so far.

Ashodin

SpeedRazor said:
Did anyone snag this before WWE pulled it from Youtube? What was it?
It was just camera of RVD going around the ring giving dap to like everyone in the front row. When he came around to the guy with the camera, though, it looks as if he got hit with the camera and almost fell down, grabbing his head :lol

But other than that, it was pretty cool. RVD is so well-loved by the crowd. I love the near-riot they almosted had because of the Big Show. rofl

the_geche

Some newsbites from PWInsider (pop-up central)-
Quite a few other wrestlers were pulled over for speeding in the same area that RVD/Sabu were stopped.

RVD will be gone for 30 days, but he's in line for a huge push on his return next month.

It's been said that RVD and Sabu are taking their punishments like men, and not complaining at all since they know it's their fault.

Sabu's push will continue.

So, obviously, neither man will be fired over this issue, and after this month, they'll be moving forward as if it never happened.

Vince McMahon loves Sabu so much right now that Sabu doesn't have anything to worried about in terms of getting fired or being de-pushed. Vince loves the oldschool type of wildman character, as well as his in ring work.

RVD had a bad knee months ago, and he's been needing time off anyway, so this is "almost" a good thing for him.

RVD was originally going to transform the WWE title into the ECW title, so that's why he got both titles. He was going to drop the WWE title at Vengeance, but then they had the idea to do it on the SNME show on July 15th. In the end, he only lost the WWE belt just two weeks early.

There was never any plans to have RVD drop the ECW title. They were planning on keeping him ECW champion for a while.

Kurt Angle is taking time off because of personal reasons. As a matter of fact, Kurt Angle has been suspended for 30 days as well. The reason he didn't come back now that RVD is off the show for now, is because he's "officially suspended" because of some sort of personal reason.

The creative meetings recently, because of everything that's happened, have been totally brutal. They went well into the night on Sunday night, and then all day on Monday.

The Al Snow/Test match was originally going to be a competitive back and forth bout, but it went short because they wanted more time for the main event.

The Sci-Fi Network was behind them saying that Tony DeVito wasn't actually a priest there at the end of his little rant. They didn't want it to be viewed that they were really beating a priest.

This "ECW Rules" thing was totally Vince's idea, and his alone.

Internally, they decided to put the strap on The Big Show, and many thought it would be the end of the Raw crossover. But no, the "ECW only" show was just a one time thing for now. The Raw crossover stuff is not done with at all.

Kelly Kelly, we see her every week because Vince McMahon loves her and thinks she does a great job.

Kelly has been very vocal about not wanting to go back to OVW, because she's annoyed with the OVW fans asking her about what it's like to be on the main roster now. She also hates all of the attention that she gets down there.

A lot of people internally are wondering what happened to the Ken Kennedy push. They say that it's possible that "that ship has sailed" in terms of his push. Backstage recently, Kennedy was blaming Super Crazy for the recent match at the Smackdown taping being sub-par (a lot of editing has been done to put it on TV for this Friday's Smackdown show), saying that it was Super Crazy's work that caused the match to be a let down.

Gunner Scott is not popular at OVW anymore at all. When he left in the first place, he had an attitude where he acted like he was above OVW after being brought up to the main roster, and now that he's back down there with that group, he's not really being accepted because of how he acted towards people back when he left to go up to the Smackdown roster.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Internally, they decided to put the strap on The Big Show, and many thought it would be the end of the Raw crossover. But no, the "ECW only" show was just a one time thing for now. The Raw crossover stuff is not done with at all.

Kelly Kelly, we see her every week because Vince McMahon loves her and thinks she does a great job.

A lot of people internally are wondering what happened to the Ken Kennedy push. They say that it's possible that "that ship has sailed" in terms of his push.

1837414967_raw0703200601.jpg

Nameless

Kurt was probably suspended because he showed up extremely late to an ECW show a week or two back. He also has apparently been vocal about NOT wanting to be on the brand. He'll probably be back on SD anyway.

Triumph

Banned
Nameless said:
Kurt was probably suspended because he showed up extremely late to an ECW show a week or two back. He also has apparently been vocal about NOT wanting to be on the brand. He'll probably be back on SD anyway.
Honestly, Kurt was probably suspended for a combination of things, but I'd bet that realizing that ECW will be a shitfest and a pronounced likey for the painkillers as being chief culprits.

As for the RAW/ECW stuff not being over...

fyad1qo.gif

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
Triumph said:
Honestly, Kurt was probably suspended for a combination of things, but I'd bet that realizing that ECW will be a shitfest and a pronounced likey for the painkillers as being chief culprits.

As for the RAW/ECW stuff not being over...

fyad1qo.gif

Blah...could we just...conbine the rosters again, about the shitfest that is ECW, and move on with wrestling life? =(

WWE Diva Search 2006 contestant Jennifer Walcott from Phoenix, Arizona has dropped out of the competition and will be replaced by a new finalist, Boca Raton, Florida's Erica Chevillar. There is no word why Walcott left the competition.

Chevillar was embroiled in a minor controversy several months back after using a moniker (Erica Lee) to pose in sexy photos online for the U.S. National Bikini Team while working full-time as a High School social studies teacher. To check out photos of Chevillar, click here.

The third edition of the WWE Diva Search begins this Monday on Raw. Previous winners have been Christy Hemme (now with TNA) and Ashley Massaro, currently on Smackdown.

randy-orton.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom