• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
While, yeah, Heenan never liked Hogan to start with, him calling attention to it as Hogan came out ruined the moment a bit for me, because as a viewer, that thought is in your mind that he IS the third man that hasn't come out yet.

I always felt like this was worse in retrospect, watching it on YouTube or other clips. Back in '96, I had no thoughts that Hogan was coming out to be the third man.. zero at all. Heenan saying anything didn't even register in my brain.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm another one who saw the Hogan reveal live and Heenan's comment didn't even register. It was amazing.

Kaladin

I always felt like this was worse in retrospect, watching it on YouTube or other clips. Back in '96, I had no thoughts that Hogan was coming out to be the third man.. zero at all. Heenan saying anything didn't even register in my brain.

I'm another one who saw the Hogan reveal live and Heenan's comment didn't even register. It was amazing.

I didn't really watch PPVs live in that era. If I saw them live, it was scrambled and I only heard audio (yay for 90's PPV technology). I probably first saw the results of the PPV on Nitro after....so as best as I can remember, I always saw that PPV with knowledge of what happened.

That might be why Heenan's comment comes off as a tell for me.

Linkhero1

Is there animosity between Flair and Mick Foley? I noticed during that before the HoF when they were sitting on the panel that Flair took a lot of shots at Mick.

Is there animosity between Flair and Mick Foley? I noticed during that before the HoF when they were sitting on the panel that Flair took a lot of shots at Mick.

Flair generally doesn't have a lot of respect for him, he's called him a glorified stuntman in the past and said he wasn't good enough to be a top guy.

Ric saying Foley outstayed his welcome was hilarious. He's kinda right, but that's such a hypocritical thing for Flair, of all people, to say.

Flair generally doesn't have a lot of respect for him, he's called him a glorified stuntman in the past and said he wasn't good enough to be a top guy.

Ric saying Foley outstayed his welcome was hilarious. He's kinda right, but that's such a hypocritical thing for Flair, of all people, to say.

Foley ripped into him in his first book, which probably didn't help.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Flair's known to be a bitter old man who picks fights with everyone though. He said that Shawn Michaels carried that entire ladder match with Razor(which is funny because Shawn would tell you the other way around) and that Hall or Nash never had any talent whatsoever.

BigDug13

Did anyone watch that Main Event match between the Shield and the Wyatts? Really great match, but Dean at the end of it was clutching his ribs, barely able to talk, and told the other guys to handle the rest of the promo while he grimaced against the ropes. He was able to grab the mic and growl a few words out then went back to clutching his ribs.

Seemed like he might have really gotten one broken.

Toki767

Did anyone watch that Main Event match between the Shield and the Wyatts? Really great match, but Dean at the end of it was clutching his ribs, barely able to talk, and told the other guys to handle the rest of the promo while he grimaced against the ropes. He was able to grab the mic and growl a few words out then went back to clutching his ribs.

Seemed like he might have really gotten one broken.

It was just really good selling.

strobogo

Banned
Foley ripped into him in his first book, which probably didn't help.

He didn't "rip into him" at all. All Foley said was that he disagreed with how Flair used some of his power as booker, which is something that he also said all wrestler/bookers fall into, and used Dusty and Bill Watts as other examples. But Dusty and Bill Watts didn't throw a 10 year hissy fit over it and then bring it all back up after the air had been cleared. For whatever reason, Ric Flair is a hyper insecure guy and takes everything personally. And will do everything he can to demean and take attention away from any other guys that weren't 70s dudes, NWA Champions, other Horsemen, or HHH/HBK/Batista/Orton.

At the 2K14 panel before Summerslam last year, he also shit on Daniel Bryan for being out of place and not deserving to be up there with him.

Linkhero1

Thanks. I just found it really interesting. I was taken aback during the panel since I thought they had more respect for each other. It also seemed to me that JBL didn't have as much respect for Mick either.

Sephzilla

Ric Flair telling anyone they've outstayed their welcome is pretty hilarious. WWE pretty much had to force him into retirement.

strobogo

Banned
Can't say I remember that while watching it.

I do remember D. Bry saying he didn't belong, but not Flair.

Watch it again. Flair shit on him for no reason. I would have thought that would have pissed Vince off more than taking of the panel and not talking about the game. I would have been terrified that he was going to spoil results for WM.

Hasney

Yeah it was one of those "is this injury real?" moments. Haha my joke is you know it's fake if they put that stupid mummy wrapping around the wrestler's "injury".

Yeah, after I broke my ribs, I thought I was going to get them taped up like DDP but I got nothing, even when I asked for a metal chest protector and promising them I wouldn't do any splashes on people.

bwahhhhh

i ordered the ppv live (my first WCW ppv) and agree it was just Heenan commentating on Hogan the way he always did "That liar!" and "He'll stab you in the back!"

the smarks on usenet (RSPW) as I watched it live (just like gaf today, user gimmicks and all... wrasslegaf reminds me of that) were just as shocked. some called it, but not due to Heenan.

I am not sure if the announcers even knew he was the third man. It was all pretty last minute IIRC. Bischoff didn't even show up until the main event because him and Hogan were working on last minute details.

He didn't "rip into him" at all. All Foley said was that he disagreed with how Flair used some of his power as booker, which is something that he also said all wrestler/bookers fall into, and used Dusty and Bill Watts as other examples. But Dusty and Bill Watts didn't throw a 10 year hissy fit over it and then bring it all back up after the air had been cleared. For whatever reason, Ric Flair is a hyper insecure guy and takes everything personally. And will do everything he can to demean and take attention away from any other guys that weren't 70s dudes, NWA Champions, other Horsemen, or HHH/HBK/Batista/Orton.

At the 2K14 panel before Summerslam last year, he also shit on Daniel Bryan for being out of place and not deserving to be up there with him.
All I know is that before reading the book, I always thought Flair was a classy guy, but I came away from the book thinking he was actually a real jerk.

Every time WWE replays that moment in a video package or something, they always edit out Heenan's "Who's side is he on?" comment which I think is really silly. It's still there on the WWE Network version of the show though. Going back to the WWF, Heenan always thought Hogan was a shady prick and also, keep in mind at this point Hogan had been off WCW television for about three months filming a movie.

The entire time Hogan was with the nWo, Heenan would always say, "I'VE BEEN TELLING EVERYONE FOREVER HE WAS NO GOOD".

Flair's known to be a bitter old man who picks fights with everyone though. He said that Shawn Michaels carried that entire ladder match with Razor(which is funny because Shawn would tell you the other way around) and that Hall or Nash never had any talent whatsoever.

MANY wrestlers would say Nash had zero in ring talent, which I would agree with. Hall is pretty well respected in the ring though

strobogo

Banned
MANY wrestlers would say Nash had zero in ring talent, which I would agree with. Hall is pretty well respected in the ring though

I disagree with that. When you see Nash in WCW pre-Diesel, he was athletic and wasn't just a big stiff. When he went to WWE, Vince told him to knock that shit off because he's a big man and he shouldn't be doing leap frogs and sunset flips. And Nash took it to heart. But I still think he was better than what people gave him credit for and I think he had better matches with Bret and HBK than they had with each other.

I disagree with that. When you see Nash in WCW pre-Diesel, he was athletic and wasn't just a big stiff. When he went to WWE, Vince told him to knock that shit off because he's a big man and he shouldn't be doing leap frogs and sunset flips. And Nash took it to heart. But I still think he was better than what people gave him credit for and I think he had better matches with Bret and HBK than they had with each other.

LOL

Data West

coaches in the WNBA

Diesel vs Bret and Diesel vs Undertaker are great matches. To say Nash has no talent is going with an old mentality of 'well he can't do flips or lots of suplexes, so he must be bad.' It's a childish mentality. The same kind that would say Andre wasn't a good wrestler because he was 'slow.' It's pretty much the first big red flag of, 'oh he doesn't know what he's talking about' when a fan on the internet says it.

While, yeah, Heenan never liked Hogan to start with, him calling attention to it as Hogan came out ruined the moment a bit for me, because as a viewer, that thought is in your mind that he IS the third man that hasn't come out yet.

To me Heenan saying is he the third man ruined it-- because it never would've occurred to me in a million years that he was going to be the third man. And Heenan being behind Hogan would've made sense in that context because EVERYONE in WCW hated the outsiders-- both the babyfaces and the heels.

Also, Heenan spoiled the surprise of Hogan turning on commentary by asking "Whose side is he on?" while he was coming down the ramp.

Seriously Brain...don't spoil the freakin surprise as it happens. Dammit.

WCW's policy at the time was not to tell Heenan anything about upcoming storylines, so it's not his fault his heel comment turned out to be true.

WCW's policy at the time was not to tell Heenan anything about upcoming storylines, so it's not his fault his heel comment turned out to be true.

In Bischoff's book, he told NO ONE who the 3rd man was.
Only Bischoff & Hogan knew.
Even Hall, Nash & Macho Man didn't know who it would be right up until Hogan actually came out.

Bischoff even has Sting show up backstage to throw people off (and in case Hogan swerved & refused to go through with it).

strobogo

Banned
Even Hall, Nash & Macho Man didn't know who it would be right up until Hogan actually came out.

Bischoff even has Sting show up backstage to throw people off (and in case Hogan swerved & refused to go through with it).

Bischoff is lying, at the very least exaggerating. Kevin Sullivan, you know the booker, knew and had Hogan stay at his house the night before so no one could talk him out of it.

Bischoff is lying, at the very least exaggerating. Kevin Sullivan, you know the booker, knew and had Hogan stay at his house the night before so no one could talk him out of it.

Well other than the booker.

Nash even talked about how he suspected it was Hogan right away when he saw him at the PPV, even though he was not scheduled to appear that night.

The anecdote about Hogan truing hell was pretty funny. When Bischoff approached Hogan about it, Hogan said "You haven't walked a mile in my red & yellow boots, brother" & then abruptly kicked Bischoff out of his home for suggesting he turn heel.

Months later when the Outsider angle was the hottest thing on the show & just as Bischoff was going to go with Sting as the 3rd man, Hogan came to him & all of a sudden was excited about the idea & wanted in.

Yeah. Heenan had it even worse though. From memory in one of his books, he talked about how in wcw tony schiavone thought that knowledge was power, and told him nothing. He was pretty much just reacting to what happened in the ring all the time.

WCW vintage autobiographies are amazing, reading through bischoff, hogan & flair's books, and seeing everyone take credit for everything is hilarious

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom