• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wrestlemania XXX Week |OT| We are all legit shook

Are you legit shook?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DMczaf

Thinking about this Mania it's actually shocking how little bullshit it had compared to most Wrestlemanias:

-No Celebrities (unless you count the Rock)
-No Concerts - I thought for sure we were getting a boring ass Kid Rock concert.
-Only one in ring promo, and they made sure that it was awesome
- All of the important matches got over 20 minutes. In fact, my quick half assed research seems to indicate that this is the first wrestlemania EVER that had 4 matches over 20 minutes
-Very little in the way of brawling or gimmick matches. Triple H used a chair after his match and Cena threatened to use a chair. There was a sledgehammer spot. There was only one announce table spot.

It is not a Wrestlemania that would have fit very well in the attitude era (and that is a good thing in this case)

Triple H is old school as fuck when it comes to booking. I'm ready for War Games.

UberTag

Thinking about this Mania it's actually shocking how little bullshit it had compared to most Wrestlemanias:

-No Concerts - I thought for sure we were getting a boring ass Kid Rock concert.
This WrestleMania absolutely "nailed" what needs to be the formula for all future Manias when it comes to musical performances.

Have bands show up to play live renditions of noteworthy entrance themes ala this year with the Wyatts and Orton.

That's it. Nothing more than this.

RAW was great, especially Paige becoming the new Diva's champion BUT bork lesnar breaking the streak still saddens me, and we probably wont see Undertaker again for good long time :(

I was complaining to friends yesterday that the caskets and tombstones for his victims were going to be more tasteless the more of his victims actually died but I guess that's not a thing we have to worry about now. Oops!

Weren't Bossman and Giant Gonzalez's caskets covered by a black shroud with no name on them?

strobogo

Banned
I understand that was the gimmick but there was nothing really "evolving". There was no twist on the Horsemen gimmick, they were literally just the Four Horsemen. Complete with Ric Flair.

No I mean the ACTUAL GIMMICK was that Evolution was the evolution of the Four Horsemen. Explicitly. Better athletes, better stars, better looking, better everything. Flair was there because HHH was a better Ric Flair and he supported it. That was the on screen reasoning and it was explicitly stated as such. They didn't do the Four Horsemen name because they were BETTER than the Four Horsemen. That's the kayfabe, on screen reason.

Journey to WM - Daniel Bryan thoughts.

This was easily the best documentary WWE has produced since the Punk one, and their most impressive production overall given that the historic events in it WERE TWO FRICKIN DAYS AGO. Loved seeing so much ROH love on it, although ROH's crappy production really stuck out when they showed TWA footage that honestly looked worlds better.

http://jayreviewsthings.blogspot.com/2014/04/journey-to-wrestlemania-daniel-bryan.html

Do not fuck with this man.

http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/upf3cnxjcnhtb0hbki56l57ihxvqgvsa

Edit - HOLY CRAP. The Ultimate Warrior passed away.

Between this and the Bryan doc, Saturday is already feeling like ancient history. I'm glad he got to say his peace, make peace with WWE, get his side of the story out with the DVD, and go out on a high note from a public perception standpoint. It's a real tragedy for his daughters though, who he came back to the ring for five years ago and who are still really young. Given his size over the years, and him getting so blown up on Raw, I figure it was probably a heart attack. Oddly, his speech from Raw is the only thing from the show I recorded and still kept.

Is this topic done?

Oh and yes... WHAT THE FUCK?! :( I didn't think he looked well Monday but I thought he just had bad knees... Now this happened.

I can't believe Ultimate Warrior passed away. He looked alright, no sign of being in bad shape even. Sincere condolences to his family and close ones. I'm glad though he made it to the HoF in living. Kind of sad, but a great way to end on a high. Week of being legit shook doesn't stop I guess.

sp3ctr3

I thought the streak would never end but the Brock happened... of all people. He's not even full time, so why put him over? Breaking the TAker streak is HUGE!

The Warrior was my kind of guy. Even my WWF stuffed character bore his image. He wrassled daily with the Million Dollar Man in my youth. RIP you magnificent king.

BunnyBear

A post in the official thread about his death said he collapsed while walking to his car, and died. So most probably a heart attack.

They ruined Kane over the years while keeping Taker on a pedestal.

I felt that there was a chance with Kane once during his unmasking arc, and when they built up his 'fire' to have been a psychological thing rather than an actual fire injury... but it was too bad the monster angle was ruined by throwing him with lame stuff like marriage storyline and shit.

Timing-wise, Kane and UT should've had their 'character rewrite' at around the same time, and build their new persona in different directions into a proper feud.

Alas, WWE is filled with missed opportunities, as much as there as great ones. I remember the old days when Eddie and Benoit were said to never amounting to be more than highest level wrestlers stuck in midcard.

strobogo

Banned
I felt that there was a chance with Kane once during his unmasking arc, and when they built up his 'fire' to have been a psychological thing rather than an actual fire injury... but it was too bad the monster angle was ruined by throwing him with lame stuff like marriage storyline and shit.

Timing-wise, Kane and UT should've had their 'character rewrite' at around the same time, and build their new persona in different directions into a proper feud.

Alas, WWE is filled with missed opportunities, as much as there as great ones. I remember the old days when Eddie and Benoit were said to never amounting to be more than highest level wrestlers stuck in midcard.

They kind of did. Kane became the monster again in 2003, leading to Taker returning to the Dead Man gimmick in 2004 and them having another Wrestlemania match. Then again in 2010 when Kane became the Big Red Monologuing Machine and dominated Taker the entire feud.

Kaladin

Now that I think about it I am ok with Brock breaking the stream because it makes Heyman even more over.

Brock just makes sense too. He IS a beast incarnate. He IS above every other superstar in terms of accolades.

Hell, he actually succeeded in UFC where others have failed in MMA, or have talked but not even gone.

Sure, he's a part timer, but he's earned that.

D

Deleted member 20415

Unconfirmed Member
Bummed about Warrior... what awful timing, but I'm glad he got his moment this weekend, and ESPECIALLY on Raw.

We will always have the opening to Wrestlemania VI!

1010587_10152863234315353_4219240811275245994_n.jpg

As someone that really didn't like the product for the better part of 10-12 years or so and didn't keep up that much, this Mania was fantastic. I am very hard on current WWE and this mania had it all.

-Legends
-Shocking moments
-Good in ring action
-Good booking (besides Cena winning)
-Bryan as the champ in 2 good matches.

Mania was great and so was the following RAW. Lets hope WWE doesn't fuck this up.

Also very glad they didn;t break the Shield up

TwiztidElf

Steered away from this thread, but just watched WM30.
Really enjoyed it. Lots of good, solid stuff.
Went back to page186-196.

This is the most shocking thing in wrestling ever? Really? Clearly some folks that weren't around for Hogans heel turn at Bash at the Beach '96. I was legit pissed off that day.

DieH@rd

Banned

This is the most shocking thing in wrestling ever? Really? Clearly some folks that weren't around for Hogans heel turn at Bash at the Beach '96. I was legit pissed off that day.

Yup, that was waaaaaay bigger and more important than Taker's streak.

Kaladin

It's at least on the same level. No one expected Taker's streak to end, ever. Undertaker losing the streak at this point was more deflating than Hogan turning heel.....which to be honest to a lot of fans, was awesome.

slit

Hogan had no choice, people started booing him out of the building. They were sick and tired of watching him win all the time. People that think John Cena never loses enough must not remember those days.

Kaladin

Also, Heenan spoiled the surprise of Hogan turning on commentary by asking "Whose side is he on?" while he was coming down the ramp.

Seriously Brain...don't spoil the freakin surprise as it happens. Dammit.

Brock just makes sense too. He IS a beast incarnate. He IS above every other superstar in terms of accolades.

Hell, he actually succeeded in UFC where others have failed in MMA, or have talked but not even gone.

Sure, he's a part timer, but he's earned that.

Pretty great that the story changed on Brock > The Streak once Heyman made the case on RAW the next night. Either brilliant Heyman or brilliant planning by the writers.

(not saying you didn't always feel this way, but there's a lot more acceptance now than there was on Sunday and pre-raw Monday)

The hogan heel turn was one of the biggest shocks of my life.

Hasney

Also, Heenan spoiled the surprise of Hogan turning on commentary by asking "Whose side is he on?" while he was coming down the ramp.

Heenan always questioned Hogan. If you were watching WCW at the time, you wouldn't have taken him seriously and it didn't take away from any of the shock, because he would have said the same thing even if Hogan did come down to make the save.

If Heenan didn't immediately try to shit on Hogan it would've been a HUGE red flag.

Doubly so if he had actually started cheering him. Heenan -never- did that. Look at this way; Heenan was basically a conspiracy theorist who got proven right

Kaladin

If Heenan didn't immediately try to shit on Hogan it would've been a HUGE red flag.

Doubly so if he had actually started cheering him. Heenan -never- did that. Look at this way; Heenan was basically a conspiracy theorist who got proven right

While, yeah, Heenan never liked Hogan to start with, him calling attention to it as Hogan came out ruined the moment a bit for me, because as a viewer, that thought is in your mind that he IS the third man that hasn't come out yet.

Yeah, Giant Gonzales was one of the caskets, I remember seeing the name as the camera panned over. Apparently Raw Monday is going to have a tribute to Warrior. Oh and the April OT is up for anyone who hasn't noticed as I didn't until just now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom