• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is going on with FF Type-0?

Cidd

Wish they'd make a PS3 remaster already. As for the future of the series, if SE still has no faith in the Vita, I wonder if Type-1 for PS4 is possible. He says they'd want to use a high-end system.[/QUOTE]

So do I, But instead we're stuck with 3 FFXIIIs.....

Soriku

You're on a discussion forum. Do elaborate, sir.

The whole "diluting" thing seems like a highly made up, manufactured, and completely untrue reason to not bring the Type series to a console. It doesn't even make sense since a new Type game would definitely sell well on PS3 or PS4 if released. Not to mention the PS2 and PSP for example had more than just one type of FF game...

Also why would the Vita be the "only" hope for the series? A console like PS4 should easily support the series. Even on 3DS a new entry would do well but I don't expect one on 3DS due to the "high-end machine" comment.

Takao

Banned
Doubt it'll be on the ps4 with the regular FF franchise appearing on it as well. Would dilute the brand too much. I honestly think Vita is the only hope for the Type series.

Maybe if the man in your avatar ponies up some cash.

I don't understand why Sony hasn't. Pretty it up a bit, add some extra content, and it would probably do some decent numbers.

The whole "diluting" things seems like a highly made up, manufactured, and completely untrue reason to not bring the Type series to a console. It doesn't even make sense since a new Type game would definitely sell well on PS3 or PS4 if released. Not to mention the PS2 and PSP for example had more than just one type of FF game...

Also why would the Vita be the "only" hope for the series? A console like PS4 should easily support the series. Even on 3DS a new entry would do well but I don't expect one on 3DS due to the "high-end machine" comment.

well, type 0 was a PSP game, and likely would not look well on your average television without a significant HD upgrade, much like peace walker got- it's uncertain square is willing to invest the money to do a conversion.

without an HD upgrade, this game wouldn't sell at ALL on ps3 or ps4.

Soriku

well, type 0 was a PSP game, and likely would not look well on your average television without a significant HD upgrade, much like peace walker got- it's uncertain square is willing to invest the money to do a conversion.

without an HD upgrade, this game wouldn't sell at ALL on ps3 or ps4.

KH 1.5 turned out well and FF X HD is looking good too graphically so I think a Type-0 HD would look pretty good. Type-0 looks solid upscaled already.

jcHgN8BWE.jpg

jeAV83SuN.jpg

jcyVVYfVt.jpg

A remaster with better assets would look good. But yes, it depends on whether SE thinks it's worthwhile. And hopefully they make the decision to do it.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
There's a new interview with Tabata about Type-0 (posted by Magius on GameFAQs). Spoilery stuff about the story but some other stuff too:

Wish they'd make a PS3 remaster already. As for the future of the series, if SE still has no faith in the Vita, I wonder if Type-1 for PS4 is possible. He says they'd want to use a high-end system.

What was this interview translated from?

Cidd

Has anyone here played and completed FF Type-0 already? if so, how does it compare to FFXIII?

better? worse?

I would be surprised if it's worse, i don't think that's possible.

jiggle

Doubt it'll be on the ps4 with the regular FF franchise appearing on it as well. Would dilute the brand too much. .
not if the games are great
will only help fill in the GIANT holes between mainline releases

sure beats more shitning returns at least

CorvoSol

Has anyone here played and completed FF Type-0 already? if so, how does it compare to FFXIII?

better? worse?

I've beaten it 4 times, and I think Magius has been through it more. I wanted to do a walk through, but school started. Maybe this summer.

It's infinitely better than XIII could ever hope to be, but at the same time, it's an ARPG so they're not completely comparable. Still, T-0 has 14 customizable characters, a good campaign (and new game +). Battles are fun, presentation is amazing, cannot comment much on story because it's all in Japanese still. What I saw was fairly good, though.

Only negatives:
-RTS sections are kinda tedious
-EXP not shared, so you will build up all 14 to level 99 individually. Good luck.
MAJOR SPOILERS
You can't lose the final boss fight
You can't return to most areas where you went on missions, meaning a fair share of dungeons are inaccessible more than once a playthrough.
Towns are small, if you care.

Cidd

I've beaten it 4 times, and I think Magius has been through it more. I wanted to do a walk through, but school started. Maybe this summer.

It's infinitely better than XIII could ever hope to be, but at the same time, it's an ARPG so they're not completely comparable. Still, T-0 has 14 customizable characters, a good campaign (and new game +). Battles are fun, presentation is amazing, cannot comment much on story because it's all in Japanese still. What I saw was fairly good, though.

Only negatives:
-EXP not shared, so you will build up all 14 to level 99 individually. Good luck.
MAJOR SPOILERS
You can't return to most areas where you went on missions, meaning a fair share of dungeons are inaccessible more than once a playthrough.

Ah, thanks for sharing. I've been eagerly awaiting it's localization since it was first announced years ago. But I'm guessing SquareEnix isn't going to release it in the west?

That's very disappointing because I really like the look of the cast and the ARPG aspect of it.

Exentryk

Only negatives:
MAJOR SPOILERS

Sounds interesting! Are there any tough optional bosses?

CorvoSol

Sounds interesting! Are there any tough optional bosses?

Yes and no. There are (help me out here, Magius) two optional bosses:
Eight Armed Gilgamesh and Dark Suzaku. The former is a one-on-one death match with a randomly chosen PC pitted against Gilgamesh, and he can only be hurt when his weakpoint shows. It's easier than it sounds. The latter is you versus this giant monster and like, evil clones of your team that are above the limit of regular levels.
You can't fight them till your 2nd or 3rd playthrough, though, so they're not THAT hard by then.

There's also Agito Tower, which IS a nightmare and I've never cleared the first floor. Goddamn Tonberries.

YoungOne

Yes and no. There are (help me out here, Magius) two optional bosses:
Eight Armed Gilgamesh and Dark Suzaku. The former is a one-on-one death match with a randomly chosen PC pitted against Gilgamesh, and he can only be hurt when his weakpoint shows. It's easier than it sounds. The latter is you versus this giant monster and like, evil clones of your team that are above the limit of regular levels.
You can't fight them till your 2nd or 3rd playthrough, though, so they're not THAT hard by then.

There's also Agito Tower, which IS a nightmare and I've never cleared the first floor. Goddamn Tonberries.
Those tonberries are the stuff of nightmares.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The interview? From the official Type 0 Artbook. Published in February 24th 2012. Went out of my way to get it translated by my little group.

As for the translation, we are looking for more translators(to volunteer of course), as Skyblade and I fear if we only have 2 active translators we may take a few years to translate everything and of course over time the fanbase's interest in Type 0 will dwindle even further. So much to do.

Say we had 4 translators who did at least 100 kb worth of text a month, that would take around 8 months until completion if we followed that to the letter.

As for how many times I've played Type 0? Over 30 times.

And a bunch of screwing around in the game gives me a total of over 500 hours. But actual playtime of 150+.

Exentryk

Is there stat maxing items? Or stat maxing in general? Like, have better built characters and weapons to make fighting enemies easier?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Is there stat maxing items? Or stat maxing in general? Like, have better built characters and weapons to make fighting enemies easier?

Weapons and accessories and special Fal'cie Accessories that max your stuff but are breakable.

There's tons of stuff in this game.

There are also some items that can increase your stat by one and you can gain a lot of them somehow.

If you use certain equips and accessories all enemies become cheese.

Soriku

Damn...Feb 2012? And I thought it was a recent interview. I hope they've made SOME sort of leeway with any HD remaster idea.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
This sounds way more like a classic FF than the FFXIII series, I love the challenge fighting them in the privious titles.

Tower of Agito is ridiculous since you fight at least 6 at once and you have to defeat 100 of whatever enemy per floor to progress.

Doubt it'll be on the ps4 with the regular FF franchise appearing on it as well. Would dilute the brand too much. I honestly think Vita is the only hope for the Type series.

After the way they rage-fucked the brand to oblivion, SE is in absolutely no position to worry about "diluting" Jack. FF is in dire need of good, competent entries. If Type-0 is a good game, it needs to be made available to what's left of their fans.

androvsky

Maybe they're holding back to include on the FFX HD collection. Or something. A PSP HD Remaster would take virtually no effort on SE's part, but SCEA would likely reject it if rumors are true, but it'd be fine if they put it on the FFX disc.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Maybe they're holding back to include on the FFX HD collection. Or something. A PSP HD Remaster would take virtually no effort on SE's part, but SCEA would likely reject it if rumors are true, but it'd be fine if they put it on the FFX disc.

And then people will think Orience is Spira. The fanbase is that stupid. You have no idea.

Sinople

better? worse?

I didn't like it very much.
There's something really off with the pacing and how the story is told. The characters are not very likable, especially class 0 as they're all completely underdeveloped.
There's a world map and towns but exploration is boring and nothing really stands out, there's no joy of discovery. There's also those frustrating invisible walls, everywhere.
As for the battle, it's fun the first couple of hours then it's getting boring, even with so many characters.
I actually had more fun with FFXIII (once I got past the disappointment).
But that's all IMO of course.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I didn't like it very much.
There's a something really off with pacing and how the story is told. The characters are not very likable, especially class 0 as they're all completely underdeveloped.
There's a world map and towns but exploration is boring and nothing really stands out, there's no joy of discovery. There's also those frustrating invisible walls, everywhere.
As for the battle, it's fun the first couple of hours then it's getting boring, even with so many characters.
I actually had more fun with FFXIII (once I get past the disappointment).
But that's all IMO of course.

Recall that it is a PSP title and is supposed to be considered a mainline entry.

CorvoSol

I like game-breaking! Tonberries should be no problem then :p

They're evil, I tell you. Even at level 99 I can't take 'em. They stop you, then they keep on stabbing with their steely knives. THE HORROR THE HORROR.

And I disagree that there is no sense of discovery in Type-0.
Finding the Airship, the valley of the Marlboros, exploring the Genbu ruins, and going into the volcano
were all great discovery moments for me. I'll give that there's rarely a reward for exploration, but there are definitely areas off the beaten path for the player to go wander into should their heart desire.

Oh, and did I mention there's Chocobo breeding in the game? It's not racing, mind you, and the Chocobos only really factor into the RTS segments, but it's there.

CorvoSol

I hate and detest those RTS segments. Would have liked FF Musou instead.

You know, I feel like I'm the only person who didn't mind them. Maybe because I've never played any good RTS games. They certainly could've been done better, but they DID make me feel like I really was caught up in a war for once.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You know, I feel like I'm the only person who didn't mind them. Maybe because I've never played any good RTS games. They certainly could've been done better, but they DID make me feel like I really was caught up in a war for once.

Eh they were fine for me too but I just want FF Musou.

Sinople

And I disagree that there is no sense of discovery in Type-0.
Finding the Airship, the valley of the Marlboros, exploring the Genbu ruins, and going into the volcano
were all great discovery moments for me. I'll give that there's rarely a reward for exploration, but there are definitely areas off the beaten path for the player to go wander into should their heart desire.

Well, I didn't say that there's no sense of discovery, but no joy, as far as I'm concerned.
The airship and its
dungeon is the only optional place I liked. I found all the others bland and pointless. But that's because I hadn't much fun with the game to begin with.

And now that I'm thinking about it, what the heck was that last dungeon. I feel like they cut a lot here. That's completely coming out of nowhere,
and that last battle, ugh...

Anyway, I don't want to badmouth it too much as I think there's potential if it becomes a new series.

Top Bottom