• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WTF is going on with FF Type-0?

CorvoSol

Well, I didn't say that there's no sense of discovery, but no joy, as far as I'm concerned.
The airship and its
dungeon is the only optional place I liked. I found all the others bland and pointless. But that's because I hadn't much fun with the game to begin with.

And now that I'm thinking about it, what the heck was that last dungeon. I feel like they cut a lot here. That's completely coming out of nowhere,
and that last battle, ugh...

Anyway, I don't want to badmouth it too much as I think there's potential if it becomes a new series.

I agree that
the last battle was disappointing
but I had a lot of fun finding new places to go. And the Last Dungeon being
two-party
was a lot of fun for me.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I'll agree the last dungeon was kinda...yeah.

I'm quite interested in the 4 year old scenario of Orience allying with each other to take on a western continent.

---------------------------

Anyone interested in helping with Translation can give me a PM for details.

CorvoSol

I'll agree the last dungeon was kinda...yeah.

I'm quite interested in the 4 year old scenario of Orience allying with each other to take on a western continent.

---------------------------

Anyone interested in helping with Translation can give me a PM for details.

Whatever. Final dungeon was ACES. Need to be more final dungeons like Type-0 and also FFVI's.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
You didn't see anything...

http://vimeo.com/66571353

doomtrain-ff8_x270.jpg

Translation is DOOMED! This train don't make stops

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully the exchange rate doesn't go back to crap before this is far enough along to pick a copy up. Could get an ultimate hits copy for under $30 right now.

Midou

I'd rather get it once it's done or confirmed to be about done. Would be kind of annoyed if I picked it up and SE slapped the project with a C&D or it otherwise fell apart before being finished.

Who knows, maybe they'll release it officially in the meantime too.

ahahaha :(

Famassu

Far from done. 10%-12% I'd say at best. Game is hefty. But we'll get there eventually.

We figured an update once in a great while would be a good idea.
Ah, oh well, we've waited for this long, might as well wait longer. And yeah, it's nice to see the progress, although I did notice a typo in the vid (at some point there was a "The" which I suppose should've been a "This")

skarabrae

Banned
From what I recall reading, much of the brunt of the translation work is the "Codex"-like functionality in the game. This is quite the crazy thing to translate, but I applaud everyone who's working on it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Ah, oh well, we've waited for this long, might as well wait longer. And yeah, it's nice to see the progress, although I did notice a typo in the vid (at some point there was a "The" which I suppose should've been a "This")

Yep. Will be fixed in a revision. I noticed it too.

CorvoSol

Looks really good so far. I feel like there's still a bit of work needed in smoothing out the way people talk and catching grammatical errors that slide by, for instance, Arecia says "There" instead of "There're" to Ace. Still hyped for it.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Looks really good so far. I feel like there's still a bit of work needed in smoothing out the way people talk and catching grammatical errors that slide by, for instance, Arecia says "There" instead of "There're" to Ace. Still hyped for it.

Will be revised. I noticed a couple grammatical errors that will be rectified. If you spot these things it's always good to bring them to Operation DOOMTRAIN'S attention.

LuuKyK

Hurry Magius. You are taking too long. You should also translate Seven as Lightning.

Joking :p. Keep up the good work

jimmypython

Have put 150hr+ into the game. A great FF game. To me, it is the real FF13. FNC mythology really shines in the game. Nojima should be happy that this game delivers the FNC setting really well (instead of the bullshit in FFXIII-2).

The production value is insane for a handheld game.

However, there are some very bad design choices in terms of budget usage.

For instance, instead of putting crazy amount of money into so many famous voice actors, they could've composed more tunes for different towns and cities. Also, it is such a waste of the traditional rich FF skill/magic settings when only 4 skills can be used at a time. IMO the battle systems is inferior to KH BBS.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Have put 150hr+ into the game. A great FF game. To me, it is the real FF13. FNC mythology really shines in the game. Nojima should be happy that this game delivers the FNC setting really well (instead of the bullshit in FFXIII-2).

For instance, instead of putting crazy amount of money into so many famous voice actors, they could've composed more tunes for different towns and cities. Also, it is such a waste of the traditional rich FF skill/magic settings when only 4 skills can be used at a time. IMO the battle systems is inferior to KH BBS.

For me it's a BERSERK esque FF. Which makes me super happy.

Seik

Banned
I'll be looking for a JAP copy soon, this translation progress news is getting me hyped, even if it's far from being done.

CorvoSol

God I hope this comes out on the Vita some day.

I'd buy a Vita for this.

Towns used to only have one theme in FFs, so that never really bugged me, and I actually like the battle system in this game. The last act and
3rd ending
are what I felt the game could've stood to do more with.

Pooya

For instance, instead of putting crazy amount of money into so many famous voice actors,

they thought it's good for sales probably, didn't help all that much though.

they could've composed more tunes for different towns and cities.
or actually make some proper towns and cities, it's really quite sad, some of those towns. It's only Peristylium that is pretty good, elsewhere it's ghost town and boring.

I think the soundtrack while good, definitely it's quite repetitive tunes and lacking variety, there are quite a few bad dungeon music too.

Also, it is such a waste of the traditional rich FF skill/magic settings when only 4 skills can be used at a time. IMO the battle systems is inferior to KH BBS.

This game needed more buttons, lol. maybe they could use some buttons to swap mapped magic during battle, yeah BBS is definitely better. You have to level up a lot to unlock new abilities but then you can only have 4 at any time on a character, I guess they wanted to encourage using all characters and switching more often but then then exp system it's so bad and you'll definitely have low level useless characters... they should have given half xp to unused characters.
The game could've been really great, I think it's ok as it is but definitely had a lot more potential, some very odd designs in there.

Toth

Nice to see the translation progressing. Unfortunately the game does look way too unpolished at this point for a simple DD release.

God speed!

Jubern

Speaking of this game and xp, do you guys have any tips or recommendations about leveling up and organizing your party? It feels quite a bit grindier than I'd like it to be and cause me to put it off every now and then...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Speaking of this game and xp, do you guys have any tips or recommendations about leveling up and organizing your party? It feels quite a bit grindier than I'd like it to be and cause me to put it off every now and then...

Special training. Which lets you train a single character by putting it in sleep mode at the arena.

Otherwise replay missions or go to the overworld and train train train.

CorvoSol

or actually make some proper towns and cities, it's really quite sad, some of those towns. It's only Peristylium that is pretty good, elsewhere it's ghost town and boring.

I actually feel like the plazas that represent towns were okay, I just wish that 1) I could explore levels where missions happened, like being able to go back into those fortresses in Concordia and such, and 2) the areas of towns you visit during campaigns should be explorable after saving a town.

Still, Type-0's world looks more populated than the barren worlds of Kingdom Hearts.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
My problem with Type 0 is more a personal issue. And that is well how Lorica was treated.

Then again...that one guy has to start somewhere.

The game could use a lot of things. Type 0 is a great game and it is a step in the right direction in terms of plot especially, for sure. But people seem very forgiving of the repetitive nature of it in exchange for a world map and other things they like. Multiple towns shouldn't matter so much if they're mostly copy pastes ... Sometimes less is more.

And maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't care for the damage dealing in the game entirely revolving around sight kills. 3rd Birthday was a much more balanced game in regards to combat and the stun damage system was better overall.

In regards to the translation, it seems like at least fans can take care of that. What we should really worry about is ... is it possible for there to be a Type 1 at S-E anymore?

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
The game could use a lot of things. Type 0 is a great game and it is a step in the right direction in terms of plot especially, for sure. But people seem very forgiving of the repetitive nature of it in exchange for a world map and other things they like. Multiple towns shouldn't matter so much if they're mostly copy pastes ... Sometimes less is more.

And maybe I'm the only one, but I didn't care for the damage dealing in the game entirely revolving around sight kills. 3rd Birthday was a much more balanced game in regards to combat and the stun damage system was better overall.

In regards to the translation, it seems like at least fans can take care of that. What we should really worry about is ... is it possible for there to be a Type 1 at S-E anymore?

Framework was done for Type-1 as per the Ultimania in what November 2011? I fear it's been scrapped or shelved in favor of XIV.

No one knows what Tabata has been up to.

Last thing he talked about was having musings about a PE installment and Before Crisis 3DS.

Jubern

Special training. Which lets you train a single character by putting it in sleep mode at the arena.

Otherwise replay missions or go to the overworld and train train train.

Eh I see. Pretty much what I was doing, I guess I just need to hang in there.

Do you keep levels or anything for subsequent playthroughs? I seem to recall you need to be on a second (or third?) playthrough to get the most out the game story.

Framework was done for Type-1 as per the Ultimania in what November 2011? I fear it's been scrapped or shelved in favor of XIV.

No one knows what Tabata has been up to.

Last thing he talked about was having musings about a PE installment and Before Crisis 3DS.

I thought in 2011 we were told that Tabata wanted to work on a 3rd Birthday sequel but was pressured to work on a Type 1 sequel.

I've been wondering if the lack of success in regards to the Vita blew up their plans (which is the only thing that could save it ...)

Jubern

Then hopefully they'll consider it again now that Vita is kinda taking steam in Japan. It's not they care much about other territories amirite?

CorvoSol

Eh I see. Pretty much what I was doing, I guess I just need to hang in there.

Do you keep levels or anything for subsequent playthroughs? I seem to recall you need to be on a second (or third?) playthrough to get the most out the game story.

Yes, my file everyone is maxed at level 99, but it's also like, my 5th playthrough.

Jubern

Kinda? It really isn't. Its condition may have improved, but it's still in the ICU.
Yeah, nothing really great or what, but at least it's not just a walking corpse anymore.
I'm fairly confident about Japan (as in, good enough but no PSP levels numbers ever), but we'll see.

Yes, my file everyone is maxed at level 99, but it's also like, my 5th playthrough.
Yes! Thanks for telling me this.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
I thought in 2011 we were told that Tabata wanted to work on a 3rd Birthday sequel but was pressured to work on a Type 1 sequel.

I've been wondering if the lack of success in regards to the Vita blew up their plans (which is the only thing that could save it ...)

He said he would like to do something with PE but was pressured with Type 1 but not much else on that.

-------------------------

Yes you can keep your levels on subsequent playthroughs.

CorvoSol

Yeah, nothing really great or what, but at least it's not just a walking corpse anymore.
I'm fairly confident about Japan (as in, good enough but no PSP levels numbers ever), but we'll see.

Yes! Thanks for telling me this.

All stats and equipment carry over. It's exactly the same as New Game + from CT. Subsequent playthroughs allow you to do alternative missions and
unlock the 3rd ending, access the Tower of Agito, and fight 8 Armed Gilgamesh and the Dark Suzaku.

Jubern

How many playthroughs are required for this?

Sorry for the non-stop questions, I'm just kind of busy nowadays and try to manage my time as well as I can...

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
How many playthroughs are required for this?

Sorry for the non-stop questions, I'm just kind of busy nowadays and try to manage my time as well as I can...

3-4 is par for the course.

On my 50th or so myself. But that's because I'm you know. Doing stuff. Debug mode is cool.

bh7812

Banned
Kinda? It really isn't. Its condition may have improved, but it's still in the ICU.

Good analogy/assessment actually. I'd call it still very critical but more stable now overseas. At least it hasn't you know deteriorated past that. I want to say its in severely critical condition here in the US and Europe. I won't use the term grave condition yet. Somehow, it is managing to survive..barely but it is still managing that none the less.

Top Bottom