• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Summerslam 2016 |OT| The Flo Rida Concert Is Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aiii

So not worth it
SummerSlam week programming on the Network should be fun, includes a new WWE 24 and THE ICON STANG:
Holy Foley: First Look Sneak Peek

Monday, August 15 immediately following Monday Night Raw® (approximately 11pm ET)

Corey Graves and Cathy Kelley sit down with Mick and Noelle Foley to give a first look at and discuss their highly-anticipated reality show, Holy Foley.

WWE 24: Women’s Evolution

Tuesday, August 16 immediately following Talking Smack (approximately 10:30pm ET)

This episode of WWE 24: The Women’s Evolution details the confluence of forces that elevated the Women’s Division to main event status at WrestleMania 32. The episode celebrates talent of the past, the current Superstars who powered the 10-Woman Tag Match, and the prodigious impact of NXT, with a special look at the emotional and pressure-filled moments for WWE Superstars Becky Lynch, Sasha Banks and Charlotte surrounding their historic Triple Threat Match for the new WWE Women’s Championship at WrestleMania 32.

WWE NXT

Wednesday, August 17 at 8pm ET

With only a few days to go, take a special look at the upcoming matchups at this Saturday’s NXT TakeOver: Brooklyn II, including an exclusive sit-down interview with NXT Champion Samoa Joe and Shinsuke Nakamura. Plus, SmackDown Superstars return to NXT to help showcase the future of the Women’s Division as Carmella teams with Liv Morgan and Nikki Glencross to take on Alexa Bliss, Mandy Rose, and Daria Berenato.

Cruiserweight Classic

Wednesday, August 17 at 9pm ET

For the first time ever, WWE has invited 32 of the greatest cruiserweights in the world to compete in the 10-week long global tournament, Cruiserweight Classic. The second round action heats up as Akira Tozawa battles Jack Gallagher and Brian Kendrick faces Tony Nese for a spot in the quarterfinals.

WWE Ride Along

Thursday, August 18 at 9pm ET

This episode features one of the top tag teams in WWE today, Enzo and Cass and one of the top tag teams of all-time, The Dudleys, as they take a trip down memory lane to their old stomping grounds in New Jersey.

Legends with JBL

Friday, August 19 at 9pm ET

John “Bradshaw” Layfield interviews the Icon Sting in a rare interview that covers the Hall-of-Famer’s WCW career as well as his shocking retirement from WWE.

JTripper

Actually looks like a pretty solid card. Not too hyped to watch Ziggler in the title match but Dean can make a match exciting. Hopefully Rusev puts on a good show cause I'm expecting that match to be a boring Roman showcase. Would be VERY surprised if Rusev defends.

tumblr_njwferIvdW1saykaxo9_r1_400.gif

With love.
VXAozpx.gif

Aiii

So not worth it
Rusev remains the best thing ever: https://youtu.be/ZRtga6bNNRw

Shame that Reigns is gonna have to win because he is Reigns, though. Rusev shouldn't ever lose unless it is a huge money match two years into an undefeated streak when he finally loses the Title of the Universes.

Jamie OD

No smackdown womens match?

Is anything actually going on with SD womens since the split? Havent paid attention to that show.

Eva Marie is constantly finding excuses not to wrestle and it's actually entertaining because she gets a grand over the top announcer for her entrance. Last week was a "wardrobe malfunction" and the video clip has over 4 million views on Youtube. Because there are somehow a lot of people out there who search for nudity on Youtube.

Sephzilla

How long is it looking until Nakamura is promoted into the big time?

I'm predicting he beats Joe, gets a decent NXT title run, and then shows up for the Royal Rumble.

I'm hoping Joe loses the belt and then comes chasing after Balor once Balor gets the Universal Title, pissed as fuck that Balor got a title shot again after Joe killed the demon.

The storytelling in WWE is broken. The brand split ain't fixing this. To even introduce this new 'Universal Championship' completely undercuts having the real belt be on Smackdown.

'But...but...we NEED someone on Raw to have a belt!'

Then don't fucking do the brand split if the very first problem you think you have to solve is this one.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
SummerSlam week programming on the Network should be fun, includes a new WWE 24 and THE ICON STANG:

Nikki Storm has a TV match already? I guess they had Biff Busick doing random TV matches under his real name before they rebranded him too.

No smackdown womens match?

Is anything actually going on with SD womens since the split? Havent paid attention to that show.

Carmella is feuding with the audience's attention span and Becky's kinda sorta feuding with Eva Marie. Note: Eva Marie has spoken 0 lines since getting promoted back to the main roster and wrestled for 0 minutes. That's basically it.

Hasney

The storytelling in WWE is broken. The brand split ain't fixing this. To even introduce this new 'Universal Championship' completely undercuts having the real belt be on Smackdown.

Then don't fucking do the brand split if the very first problem you think you have to solve is this one.

I don't get it. Raw needs a top title, so what's the problem? It is the first thing to solve.

NastyBook

Predictions
Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton - Orton gonna either RKO outta the F5, or even more masterfully from a German Suplex attempt. Still gonna lose, though. God King Bork can do no wrong in Vince's eyes.

WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor - Balor's rocket ride to the top ends here.

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler - This wild and crazy guy's gonna remain champ.

WWE US CHAMPIONSHIP
Rusev (c) vs Roman Reigns - Punished Reigns to take another clean loss, this time at a major PPV.

WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP
Sasha Banks (c) vs. Charlotte - Queen's Reign has just begun. Slay, madame.

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH
The Miz (c) vs. Apollo Crews - Apollo not winning this, lol.

WWE Tag Team Champions
The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson - Drop the belts and go back to being heels, New Day.

Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. Chris Jericho & Kevin Owens - Comeuppance for that uber-cringe gay joke on RAW last Monday.

John Cena vs. AJ Styles - You haven't begun to be buried, AJ.

Aiii

So not worth it
I'm predicting he beats Joe, gets a decent NXT title run, and then shows up for the Royal Rumble.

I'm hoping Joe loses the belt and then comes chasing after Balor once Balor gets the Universal Title, pissed as fuck that Balor got a title shot again after Joe killed the demon.

Yeah Rumble and if not then, it will be the post Mania show. I think it is mostly having him study just a bit more English for a little while. He is decently fluid, but needs to work on his pronunciation.

Cagey

Banned
Some of my favorite posters are Reigns fans, but...

rusev.0.gif
Whoever wins this Six Star Clash of the Titans, trust me, blackaroni and Beef and myself will be winners too. Ride for Roman, Rusev, hell Ryback. Rusev has always been the shit. Maybe it's the letter R.

Whatever ending prolongs this feud is good by me.

We throwing chairs now?
GcS9Kme.gif

Whoever wins this Six Star Clash of the Titans, trust me, blackaroni and Beef and myself will be winners too. Ride for Roman, Rusev, hell Ryback. Rusev has always been the shit. Maybe it's the letter R.

Whatever ending prolongs this feud is good by me.
I honestly don't see why Reigns would even win this match. I think the belt stays on Rusev...at least I hope it does.

My dream is that AJ wins the title soon and Nak debuts at the Rumble and wins. AJ vs. Nak at Mania.

No one can tell Vince that this would be a rematch from another promotion.

Aiii

So not worth it
I do hope that Goldberg shows up to spear and jackhammer Lesnar and set up that Mania rematch.

I don't get it. Raw needs a top title, so what's the problem? It is the first thing to solve.

On a STORY level, it makes no sense. If it were the 'Raw Championship' or something like that, that WOULD make sense. But what is the Universal Championship represent TO THE STORY? Seriously? So there can be a universe champion...but they are decided the exact same way the world champion is decided? By fighting? Is there social media voting, hence the 'universe' moniker? What makes it different on a STORY level?

Nothing. It's literally just a 'Raw needs a belt, too' thing.

And therefore, it makes whoever holds the real championship less important, as this pay per view is already showing. The Ambrose/Ziggler match is before Rollings/Balor.

Remember this is the same company that let Punk walk out with the belt only to have a new belt IMMEDIATELY put on the guy that lost the previous belt.

Aiii

So not worth it
Raw and Smackdown are in competition, Smackdown has the world title, so they made their title the Universal title because Universe > World.

Mystery story revealed!

The universal championship not only is a dumb name but it's also a transparent attempt to make sure people don't start thinking smackdown is on equal footing to raw.

Vince: how do we make sure people don't think the world champ on smackdown is bigger than raws? That's it. What's bigger than the world? The universe!!!

Tall4Life

Actually, WWE has been really good for a while now, and the split has been working pretty great. Sasha has the belt, Roman is in the midcard, the main event scene of both shows is totally fresh, etc. Raw especially has been PHENOMENAL, and consistently for the past few weeks since the split started. SD has had some growing pains and its still trying to figure itself out, but this time from the Raw after WM32 to now has been one of the best periods of WWE in recent memory.

AColdDay

On a STORY level, it makes no sense. If it were the 'Raw Championship' or something like that, that WOULD make sense. But what is the Universal Championship represent TO THE STORY? Seriously? So there can be a universe champion...but they are decided the exact same way the world champion is decided? By fighting? Is there social media voting, hence the 'universe' moniker? What makes it different on a STORY level?

Nothing. It's literally just a 'Raw needs a belt, too' thing.

And therefore, it makes whoever holds the real championship less important, as this pay per view is already showing. The Ambrose/Ziggler match is before Rollings/Balor.

I totally agree with this. Both brands don't need a world title. The chase for the title is always better than the reign, anyways.

Raw should be battling to crown a #1 contender so on the next cross-promotion PPV the World Champion HAS to face the #1 contender from the other brand. The stakes would be so high and it would make having the belt incredibly meaningful. Having two titles waters down the impact of being world champion.

I feel Nakamura goes to RAW and Joe goes to Smackdown.

Tall4Life

The universal championship not only is a dumb name but it's also a transparent attempt to make sure people don't start thinking smackdown is on equal footing to raw.

Vince: how do we make sure people don't think the world champ on smackdown is bigger than raws? That's it. What's bigger than the world? The universe!!!

Or, you know, you're getting worked and that's exactly why Stephanie called their championship the Universal Championship?

I feel Nakamura goes to RAW and Joe goes to Smackdown.

I genuinely wouldn't mind if Joe went to Raw and Nakamura went Smackdown, but Nak debuts on the Raw after SummerSlam (because it'll be one of the two Raws in the year where both rosters post-draft can come together - the other being Smarkamania) and immediately inserts himself into the IC title picture with The Miz. Feels right.

deli2000

With this PPV & Takeover Brooklyn on saturday this may be one of the most stacked weekends WWE has ever had. AJ/Cena is billed 4th on the card lol.

Or, you know, you're getting worked and that's exactly why Stephanie called their championship the Universal Championship?
Hey I have no horse in this race as I haven't watched wwe regularly in years but I'm just going off history and how I imagine backstage being :)

Also, not everything is a work you mark ;)

I haven't really been watching lately and am still deciding on this card. Has Ambrose' belt pretty much been downgraded to WHC status now? I hope not, as his belt is supposed to be the one w/ direct lineage back to the old WWF championship.

Brock Lesnar vs. Randy Orton
-Legend Killer returns

WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPIONSHIP
Seth Rollins vs. Finn Balor
-Screwy finishing. The chase for Balor begins

WWE CHAMPIONSHIP
Dean Ambrose (c) vs. Dolph Ziggler
-Uncle Deano still our champ

WWE WOMEN'S CHAMPIONSHIP
Sasha Banks (c) vs. Charlotte
-Sasha Banks clean. Bayley comes out night after raw. Banks betrays her.

WWE US CHAMPIONSHIP
Rusev (c) vs Roman Reigns
-Ruru destroys the Roman Empire

WWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE MATCH
The Miz (c) vs. Apollo Crews
-Miz retains and continues to be one of the shining spots in the company.

WWE Tag Team Champions
The New Day vs. Gallows & Anderson
-New Day elevated the titles to a new level. G&A keep it going.

Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. Chris Jericho & Kevin Owens
- How they doin? They doin the job.

John Cena vs. AJ Styles
-AJ comes out on top.

With this PPV & Takeover Brooklyn on saturday this may be one of the most stacked weekends WWE has ever had. AJ/Cena is billed 4th on the card lol.

Worth noting that between NXT Takeover and the CWC next Wednesday, adding in the pre-shows for NXT Takeover, SummerSlam, Raw and Smackdown, you're looking at 16/17 hours worth of top-tier WWE product (not including other Network stuff like Holy Foley, WWE24 or other bits like Main Event/Superstars because lolwhocaresofthem).

NXT Takeover Brooklyn - half-hour pre-show/two-and-a-half-hour event = three hours
SummerSlam - two-hour pre-show/four-hour event = six hours
Monday Night Raw - half-hour pre-show/three-hour event = three-and-a-half-hours
Smackdown Live - half-hour pre-show/two-hour event = two-and-a-half hours
NXT (taped from Barclays Center) = one hour
CWC = one hour

= seventeen hours

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Takeover and UFC 202 on saturday, Summerslam on sunday?

Damn-hot-fanning-.gif

Jamie OD

It's supposed to be Steph one upping Shane. Keep in mind the storyline reason for the brand split is Vince's kids trying to prove who deserves to run the company. Shane gets the WWE Title so Stephanie creates a "bigger" title out of pettiness. But WWE hasn't been able to tell that story properly. Like I said earlier it just feels like this belt is a temporary decision that will be undone in a few months rather than long term planning.

It's supposed to be Steph one upping Shane. Keep in mind the storyline reason for the brand split is Vince's kids trying to prove who deserves to run the company. Shane gets the WWE Title so Stephanie creates a "bigger" title out of pettiness. But WWE hasn't been able to tell that story properly. Like I said earlier it just feels like this belt is a temporary decision that will be undone in a few months rather than long term planning.
To be fair I'm judging this with no in depth knowledge of the finer details of the story since I just read what's going on so from a story line perspective it makes sense.

While it may very well change down the line I have a sneaky suspicion that the storyline reason and Vince/Stephen/whoever it is that always makes sure smackdown gets the short end of the stick over the years reasons align and it works both in a kayfabe and shoot perspective :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom