• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

WWE Summerslam 2016 |OT| The Flo Rida Concert Is Canceled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beefy

Don't you want to see the Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King Demon King?

Hmm... are you trying to tell me something?

Eva Marie better pick up the win on Sunday in the tag-match by doing absolutely nothing for the whole match by staying at the apron then tagging herself in to get the pin after all the damage is done.

El-Suave

Not really excited for this; the card can't support this 6 hour overkill. I'm not watching all of Raw and Smackdown these days, so I have some catching up to do but the repeating promo packages in the pre- and main show still make me sceptical. It's hard to stay awake during those at 4-5am.

I never found finn Balor interesting during NXT and I doubt I'll change my mind here, since they're making him even more one dimensional then he was in NXT. That fact that my boy Sami zayn isn't even on the damn card after having the best matches in wwe all year has tempered my interest in summer slam something fierce.

Fantomex

I just can't wrap my head around Dean Ambrose. With Cena, the little kids, got it. Rollins, in ring talent. AJ, in ring. Cesaro, strength, underdog. With Ambrose, I just don't see what his fans see. Maybe he's got a lot of female fans that are all for his looks?

I just can't wrap my head around Dean Ambrose. With Cena, the little kids, got it. Rollins, in ring talent. AJ, in ring. Cesaro, strength, underdog. With Ambrose, I just don't see what his fans see. Maybe he's got a lot of female fans that are all for his looks?

my0TveL.gif

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone

He seems to understand how to pace a match? I don't know if its just because he's often been put against good talent, but there have been quite a few good matches involving Dean Ambrose. His gimmick is awful. His moveset is worse, but in spite of all of that he's been in quite a few good matches. Not Sami Zayn level matches, but good matches nonetheless.

I remember before the Shield broke up and before that from his old Jon Moxley promos how I figured Dean would the end result of Pillman, Austin and Piper could have a baby but then post-Shield from booking and his clearly not giving a shit has been disappointing.

Remember when Seth was gonna be the "mid-card guy" because of the questioning of his promo ability? Seth, even though he took the Triple H promos 101 class, has surpassed Deano overall, I mean I still wouldn't put him above Ambrose in the promo sense but in the ring he's a miles ahead even if he does shit he probably shouldn't be doing as a heel in the ring.

Just like last year, I agree with this.

Cagey

Banned
The 18-34 male demographic believes he's an uber-talented throwback performer to the Attitude Era... when he's more like an Attitude Era Elvis impersonator.

VoxPop

I honestly don't see the appeal of Ambrose. He's easily the worst champion in the past decade. I'd even take Roman with the strap or even a Zack Ryder run.

To be fair to Dean, he usually has one of the better-looking suicide dives and actually makes contact. Though why everybody has to do a suicide dive now is beyond me.
mj-laughing.gif

I like Dean, and he has the safest suicide dive overall in my opinion but that's not exactly a good thing since the reason it's so safe is also why it's awful. He just grazes the opponent and they have to sell it like it hurts badly.

Anth0ny

when you have the company trying to push roman reigns as the next john cena, ambrose is like ric flair in comparison

it's as simple as that

Rockandrollclown

lookwhatyou'vedone
when you have the company trying to push roman reigns as the next john cena, ambrose is like ric flair in comparison

it's as simple as that

That helps. Ambrose in spite of his shortcomings happened more or less organically. He got over. The company didn't shove Ambrose down your throat. Hell, 4 months ago it would be crazy talk to think he'd be champ now.

Fantomex

He seems to understand how to pace a match? I don't know if its just because he's often been put against good talent, but there have been quite a few good matches involving Dean Ambrose. His gimmick is awful. His moveset is worse, but in spite of all of that he's been in quite a few good matches. Not Sami Zayn level matches, but good matches nonetheless.

No way. His dives almost always look like garbage. He just holds hands with the guy and falls down.

I say this as a Dean fan.

The 18-34 male demographic believes he's an uber-talented throwback performer to the Attitude Era... when he's more like an Attitude Era Elvis impersonator.

it's as simple as that

Not trying to derail or anything, but if we compare him with Reigns. Reigns at least has the powerhouse mentality when he's not facing someone like Strowman or Lesnar. Dean is basically your generic Indy wrestler with less athleticism and risk moves. I left wrestling for about 7 years. Came back when Seth won the belt. Was familiar with the name AJ Styles, saw his matches in WWE with Cena and Reigns and automatically was like "wow, ok this guy is good". With Dean I guess he has pretty good pacing, but nothing has ever stood out to me in terms of wrestling. I mean I don't even think he has good Mic skills, but he's so good at constantly talking, that I think people mistake it for good mic skills.

Cagey

Banned
Not trying to derail or anything, but if we compare him with Reigns. Reigns at least has the powerhouse mentality when he's not facing someone like Strowman or Lesnar. Dean is basically your generic Indy wrestler with less athleticism and risk moves. I left wrestling for about 7 years. Came back when Seth won the belt. Was familiar with the name AJ Styles, saw his matches in WWE with Cena and Reigns and automatically was like "wow, ok this guy is good". With Dean I guess he has pretty good pacing, but nothing has ever stood out to me in terms of wrestling. I mean I don't even think he has good Mic skills, but he's so good at constantly talking, that I think people mistake it for good mic skills.
Generic indie wrestlers are much better wrestlers, but worse talkers, than Dean Ambrose.

Dean Ambrose is a generic mid-2000s indie wrestling fan who went to wrasslin school.

i haven't tuned into smackdown yet since the draft (or even before it honestly). so i do miss AJ Styles and Miz/Maryse.

But man, it's a blessing to not see Dean on RAW anymore. Worst champ since sheamus.

i haven't tuned into smackdown yet since the draft (or even before it honestly). so i do miss AJ Styles and Miz/Maryse.

But man, it's a blessing to not see Dean on RAW anymore. Worst champ since sheamus.

This doesn't make any sense because

A) RAW is garbage and SmackDown Live is miles better.

2) Despite Dean's in-ring performance, I cannot recall a better WWE championship program in some time. He's actually acting and being treated like a champion on the show.

This doesn't make any sense because

A) RAW is garbage

2) Despite Dean's in-ring performance. I cannot recall a better championship program in some time. He's actually acting and being treated like a champion on the show.

I don't disagree with A. Although I've had a lot of fun with the enzo/jericho back and forths on the mic and even reigns/rusev.

but how am I supposed to know about 2? I aint even seen it lol. maybe i should give it a shot tho. what's the best smackdown episode since the draft to show this.

Eva Marie better pick up the win on Sunday in the tag-match by doing absolutely nothing for the whole match by staying at the apron then tagging herself in to get the pin after all the damage is done.

Why, she can work. And her psychology is some of the best I have seen in years. HHH must be helping her.

Anth0ny

this means absolutely nothing in 2016

especially when he's being rammed down our throats

and has been delivering some of the most cringeworthy promos of all time

dean's lows don't come anywhere close to reigns, and reigns highs aren't that high, despite what the company wants you to believe

so again, compared to how roman has been portrayed, dean comes off as a favorite to fans and is infinitely more talented than roman in every aspect of pro wrestling

so again, compared to how roman has been portrayed, dean comes off as a favorite to fans and is infinitely more talented than roman in every aspect of pro wrestling

except for the wrestling part you mean. reigns has had far better performances for this company as of late.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I honestly don't see the appeal of Ambrose. He's easily the worst champion in the past decade. I'd even take Roman with the strap or even a Zack Ryder run.

LOL no. Reigns was worse. Khali was worse.

Ambrose is over because he's different. He isn't some roided up monster. I think he appeals to people because he's more "real" than these other clowns.

Speaking of roided up clowns, I still can't believe some people enjoy watching Lesnar wrestle. The guy is freaking terrible.

Cagey

Banned
this means absolutely nothing in 2016

especially when he's being rammed down our throats

and has been delivering some of the most cringeworthy promos of all time

dean's lows don't come anywhere close to reigns, and reigns highs aren't that high, despite what the company wants you to believe

This is the sort of 90s counterculture angst that produced the "Sprite. Obey Your Thirst." ad campaign.

Which is fitting for a defense of Dean Ambrose.

Tall4Life

Summerslam will be better than Takeover this year without a doubt. You have strong matches there like Joe/Nakamura and Revival/Gargano and Ciampa but you also have Andrade/Roode and Jose/Aries (which will no doubt be a fun match but I don't think it'll be anything extraordinary).

Meanwhile, in Summerslam, you have The Club/New Day, AJ/Cena, Rollins/Balor, Sasha/Charlotte, Ziggler/Ambrose, Lesnar/Orton, Rusev/Reigns, Enzo and Cass/JeriKO.... I mean really, the potentially weak matches of the show are Crews/Miz, Cesaro/Sheamus, and the SD women's tag match. Having 8 out of the 11 matches be potentially incredible is, well, just that, incredible. I don't see how NXT can top THAT card.

Anth0ny

except for the wrestling part you mean. reigns has had far better performances for this company as of late.

reigns is shit in ring and gets carried by his god tier opponents

ambrose isn't much better but i've never been excited to see reigns in ring. his moveset is ass.

Why, she can work. And her psychology is some of the best I have seen in years. HHH must be helping her.
I'm someone who doesn't really care for Eva's in-ring talent rather than declare she's the worst thing ever but the angle with her not wrestling has been great and highly entertaining so the idea of her doing nothing in a match and then picking up the win which she then brags about on the next Smackdown sounds better to me than the story-line being killed this Sunday with her wrestling and then losing the match.

Tall4Life

ambrose isn't much better but i've never been excited to see reigns in ring. his moveset is ass.

Stone Cold and The Rock said themselves that they only used five moves. Reigns' moveset is fine. He is a good worker surrounded by mostly other good workers, many better workers.

Neither are great but Reigns>Ambrose. Ambrose wrestles like a drunken anemic.

This is exactly it. He's Diet Attitude Era, but he wears jeans and a wife beater and acts crazy and unpredictable so people associate him with the likes of Austin and Pillman. He's like the ABC Family version of Brian Pillman, right down to the hackneyed "facial twitches" because, you know, that's what crazy people do and he's soooo unstable!!!

Fantomex

I don't agree or disagree, but basically It's "Anyone but Reigns" as far as I can see. So if Ambrose was out with an injury we would have been fine with let's say Wade Barrett. I mean, it's not saying much for Dean, which I guess proves me right. The guy sucks.

I actually feel like Deano has gotten a lot better since they put the belt on him...

Maybe it's thematic? He's got this (sigh) wacky, unfocused, grungy kind of style because that's just want they want from him? I haven't seen any of his indy work, was he better then?

Whatever. I'm willing to tolerate it, because I like Dean. Hopefully he beats the hell out of Ziggles this weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom