• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 to have taxi driving segments and animal hunting

I want it. Bring it here SoE, if you still exist.

Quick random somewhat off-topic question... is it worth jumping into Yakuza 4 if you have little/no experience with the series? I've played the first one but didn't get around to grabbing the second one, then I didn't bother with the PS3 games because I missed out on 2.

Yakuza 4 is perfect for jumping in, it's got the recaps and introduces the new main characters. It's also the best game in the series.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Quick random somewhat off-topic question... is it worth jumping into Yakuza 4 if you have little/no experience with the series? I've played the first one but didn't get around to grabbing the second one, then I didn't bother with the PS3 games because I missed out on 2.
It's probably the best jumping on point for the series. It's worth noting that east of eastside's opinion is rather isolated.

Yuterald

Iw5eP.jpg

NAlpc.jpg

Z2pUg.jpg

lX50h.jpg

66dWr.jpg

FrDH6.jpg

http://andriasang.com/con1k7/yakuza_another_drama/

...oh my! Christ, I NEED this game! Please, Sega, someone, localize this game!!! :(

Yuterald

Bah, I wish Sega skipped on localizing Dead Souls and brought this one over instead. It looks amazing.

No way! First of all, Yakuza 5 isn't even finished, right? It's not out in Japan until December, correct? We are LUCKY we even got Dead Souls with Sega's recent financial problems and their corporate restructuring. I could see saying you wish Sega localized Kenzan instead of Dead Souls, but passing on ANY Yakuza title at the time would have just meant less Yakuza titles as a whole in NA.

We don't even know if Sega of America is going to localize Yakuza 5. :(

Still in the works. :O
I know that. What I'm saying is that since Y5's localization is in doubt, that I wish Sega would have saved their efforts on localizing Dead Souls for the proper sequel, Yakuza 5, instead. I just dont want Dead Souls being the last Yakuza title to be published out here.
We are LUCKY we even got Dead Souls with Sega's recent financial problems and their corporate restructuring. I could see saying you wish Sega localized Kenzan instead of Dead Souls, but passing on ANY Yakuza title at the time would have just meant less Yakuza titles as a whole in NA.

We don't even know if Sega of America is going to localize Yakuza 5. :(
Yes, Kenzan instead of Dead Souls would have been ideal.
In any case, as you said, we don't know if Sega will be localizing Yakuza 5 or not, therefore all of this worrying is probably premature. I just want Yakuza 5 and seeing as how Dead Souls was probably the worst game in the franchise (not a terrible game though, mind you), I'd rather have had them wait if they knew about Y5's existence or better yet, give us Kenzan instead.

rvy

Banned
Apparently, Nagoshi feels that Dead Souls had such great gunplay that he decided to add in some of it to 5. Yey.
Binary Domain is only alright when it comes to that.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
AUGH Everything about this game looks so fucking awesome. This really, really needs to come stateside. Hopefully, Dead Souls wasn't the final straw for Sega US.

And Akiyama's activity should be spending his money on massive amounts of cocaine, and then running from the cops when he's caught in a sting operation. Chases: Evolved.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
Wouldn't he still have the hostess managing mini game? lol
I really hope not. I'm glad the hostess managing wasn't cut, but it felt entirely random, and was incredibly frustrating. I guess Yakuza and I have different ideas of attractive women.

Go_Ly_Dow

main thing we need to remember is that y3, y4 and of the end's localization were all announced 3-6 months after the japanese release.

so basically, don't enter panic mode until at least june 2013!

(and if sega refuse to localize it then we can form a plan or something!?)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
main thing we need to remember is that y3, y4 and of the end's localization were all announced 3-6 months after the japanese release.

so basically, don't enter panic mode until at least june 2013!

(and if sega refuse to localize it then we can form a plan or something!?)
I dunno man, I would have thought that by this point, they would have caught up by now and that Y5 would be a March release... like the last two games.

Go_Ly_Dow

I dunno man, I would have thought that by this point, they would have caught up by now and that Y5 would be a March release... like the last two games.

well y5 has a been warranted a much different development cycle compared to previous titles, so i'm expecting any potential localization to take a lot longer.

also, i don't think sega woulld really commit to localizing, until they see how it performs in japan.

Koshiro

Holy hell this game is looking awesome. I seriously need this game. Switching between characters worked so well in 4, keeping things fresh all round. To have that freshness in an engine this improved, with all these new activities... wow... WOW.

I'm not sure why you guys are so down on this localization's chances. If they do like Yakuza 4 and leave the VO intact, it's pretty much all text work. How poorly did Yakuza 4 sell in America? Because it would have had to sell reallllllly poorly for them to lose money on the localization...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm not sure why you guys are so down on this localization's chances. If they do like Yakuza 4 and leave the VO intact, it's pretty much all text work. How poorly did Yakuza 4 sell in America? Because it would have had to sell reallllllly poorly for them to lose money on the localization...
I think it's a combination of Sega's history plus the massive cuts that they announced recently that has people pessimistic.

The longer that they're silent, the more people will assume that it's not going to come.

Midou

The mini-games grew kind of tiring by the 4th and zombie game, this new side stuff seems awesome. This is by far my most hyped game right now, if it doesn't get localized, I am going to start 100 useless petitions that don't go anywhere. :(

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The mini-games grew kind of tiring by the 4th and zombie game, this new side stuff seems awesome. This is by far my most hyped game right now, if it doesn't get localized, I am going to start 100 useless petitions that don't go anywhere. :(
I'll sign 100 useless petitions that don't go anywhere. :(

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
Look like Yakuza team is trying to make this game actually fresh and good, unlike that boring horrible disaster called Yakuza 4.

IrishNinja

who's importing? this guy

If Sega doesn't announce something within six months, I'll be importing too. Don't make it come to that Sega.

yeah, did it for Kenzan, will do here if i gotta, especially once a guide's out. its not ideal but im not missing this one.

It's the series Tony Hawk 4. It's not worth playing unless Yakuza appeals to you primarily because you're a weaboo.

Hopefully Yakuza 5 adds back some of the substance to the gameplay and boss battles.

your opinion remains terrible i see

I'd love some sort of weird haggling game with Akiyama debating loan terms.

oh man, id so be down for this! failed negotiations turn into fights.

Totobeni

An blind dancing ho
yeah, did it for Kenzan, will do here if i gotta, especially once a guide's out. its not ideal but im not missing this one.

Since SEGA got bad money problems now I guess importing is the only way ( but it fully depend on ThePatrick walkthrough guide)

IrishNinja

Since SEGA got bad money problems now I guess importing is the only way ( but it fully depend on ThePatrick walkthrough guide)

exactly...im hopeful (we got dark souls) but it could go either way. and yeah, ThePatrick guide + fansubbed youtube cutscenes all the way.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
exactly...im hopeful (we got dark souls) but it could go either way. and yeah, ThePatrick guide + fansubbed youtube cutscenes all the way.
Did you play through all of Kenzan with the cutscenes and guide? I imported the game, but now that I actually have it, using the guide seems like a bit of a hassle.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Did you play through all of Kenzan with the cutscenes and guide? I imported the game, but now that I actually have it, using the guide seems like a bit of a hassle.
All of the cutscenes are subbed in youtube... which is also a hassle, but hey, this is how people played games 15 years ago. lol

IrishNinja

not yet (i did the same as you) but i should finish platting dead souls soon, then it's next up. guide looks good for what it is, at least.

I love the new ideas but haruka part will be a nightmare to translate...
I hope they dont use textures as text like answer x answer...

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
not yet (i did the same as you) but i should finish platting dead souls soon, then it's next up. guide looks good for what it is, at least.
Start an LTTP thread when you do so! I'd like to have other people to discuss Kenzan with when I start playing, just in case I get lost. From the few (guideless) minutes I've played of it, it looks awesome.

Look like Yakuza team is trying to make this game actually fresh and good, unlike that boring horrible disaster called Yakuza 4.
why do you bring this up in every single yakuza thread

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Great mini-game additions. The Yakuza series is such a beast and always packed with crazy awesome stuff. I respect that.

IrishNinja

I missed you irish :( lol, people talking reckless bout Y4

haha you too tguy! gaf-hop got along fine without me, been catchin up ever since.
and yeah, im surprised at all the people talkin foolishness about the 2011 GOTY.

Your face is a boring horrible disaster

my man

Start an LTTP thread when you do so! I'd like to have other people to discuss Kenzan with when I start playing, just in case I get lost. From the few (guideless) minutes I've played of it, it looks awesome.

that's actually a pretty good idea, i think ill try to do one as i go along and just comment on how gameplay is going, obviously marking spoilers. there's a notable segment on GAF who does wanna play the game and i think at this point it feels fair that we're not getting other options.

why do you bring this up in every single yakuza thread

that's toto's way. when you're crazy-wrong about something, double down on it.

Top Bottom