• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 5 to have taxi driving segments and animal hunting

androvsky

i only know of idol games because they're apparently why i never read Berserk on time, but...is there a reason they typically don't make it over? is shit with little girls risque or is it just a genre assumed to bomb here? cause it'd be weird to blame an entire game on a small mini-game like that.

I don't know what the real problem with Idolmaster is exactly. I read a review of the original arcade game which had a touch screen that the player could use to give the girls massages in between performances and stuff like that. As far as the console games go, I get the impression that there's a general understanding that Idolmaster is inherently creepy (possibly from the Wired review of the arcade game), but nobody knows why exactly. Maybe Victor Ireland knows, he says he has some ideas on how to make it palatable to the West. Maybe is just the fact they're teenagers and you have to pick out their outfits?

GungHo

Single-handedly caused Exxon-Mobil to sue FOX, start World War 3
I've only played Yakuza 3... so if they've corrected this in 4, please feel free to call me an asshole, but are they still going to go with the voiced cutscenes and then text "adventure" mix? That was jarring. Like going from 2005 to 1995 without even standing up.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I've only played Yakuza 3... so if they've corrected this in 4, please feel free to call me an asshole, but are they still going to go with the voiced cutscenes and then text "adventure" mix? That was jarring. Like going from 2005 to 1995 without even standing up.
I don't believe they've said whether or not the game will be fully voiced. Yakuza 4 wasn't.

you know, I'm not really fond of the hostess stuff, but to each their own (and I will some of them are pretty funny)...that being said? I kind of want to try the idol stuff, even though I suck at the Karaoke game (or haven't played enough of it to get better, I guess). Also, I'm liking how Haruka looks now. The Taxi and hunting stuff looks great too...I'm just not looking forward to the baseball stuff.

But anyways...I want this brought over here soon, SEGA, somehow.

IrishNinja

Any idea what kind of side activities Akiyama will have? Probably watching the stock market or something.

collectin checks with a firm hand

we should reach out to RubyEclipse and stay in the loop about this one's chances for localization, last i heard the word of course was "buy Dead Souls and hope for the best" basically.

i won't lie, if it was digi-only like Way of the Samurai 4 id still be crazy hyped.

i only know of idol games because they're apparently why i never read Berserk on time, but...is there a reason they typically don't make it over? is shit with little girls risque or is it just a genre assumed to bomb here? cause it'd be weird to blame an entire game on a small mini-game like that.

I'd think that the biggest reason is because there's a ton to translate for something that probably isn't going to sell that well. It's not like niche JRPG's, which have a small but dedicated following.

There isn't anything creepy about what they've described with Haruka's mini-game. You've got the song/dance portion, which is something that was already kind of in previous Yakuza games when you took her to karaoke. Then the handshake events (that's where idols meet their fans) and talk show appearances. So, it's pretty based stuff.

Ithil

lX50h.jpg

Welcome to Japan.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
If blood sacrifice is required for an english release of Yakuza 5, I will swing the axe that fells the required number of vessels. This game looks incredible.

I want the Haruka fighting sequences to be Haruka beating rival idols asses.

They try and scheme her, but they don't realize Kiryu's daughter is kind of scary. Then they sick their boyfriends on her, who also get destroyed, etc etc.

This is how Kiryu always handles this sort of thing, I think it fits.

LiK

I want the Haruka fighting sequences to be Haruka beating rival idols asses.

They try and scheme her, but they don't realize Kiryu's daughter is kind of scary. Then they sick their boyfriends on her, who also get destroyed, etc etc.

This is how Kiryu always handles this sort of thing, I think it fits.

that's one cool thing about Yakuza, there's probably some storyline with Haruka in all the idol stuff. shady stuff, i think.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
that's one cool thing about Yakuza, there's probably some storyline with Haruka in all the idol stuff. shady stuff, i think.
Honestly, I hope it's not yet another "Kazama and friends get dragged back into the Yakuza life they left behind 5 years ago" story. Twice is enough. :p

LiK

Honestly, I hope it's not yet another "Kazama and friends get dragged back into the Yakuza life they left behind 5 years ago" story. Twice is enough. :p

oh, i meant Haruka's idol stuff will be its own overarching story within the main story. Kiryu will never escape what's in his blood anyway :p

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What else could it be? lol
To live up to my tag, I guess I should say I would want it to be
mono no aware with everyone shedding some happy tears at the cherry blossom viewing party before deciding to move on with their lives and become normal citizens of Japan

But yeah, you're right. This game is going to end with them back in power again, only for them to retire once more in Yakuza 6 and be brought back into the fold once more. :p

oh, i meant Haruka's idol stuff will be its own overarching story within the main story. Kiryu will never escape what's in his blood anyway :p
Well, I mean, she's going to go "Oji-san, I thought you left that life behind! I don't want you to get hurt!" and then somehow she gets roped into all of that stuff as well. lol

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
mono no aware with everyone shedding some happy tears at the cherry blossom viewing party before deciding to move on with their lives and become normal citizens of Japan

But yeah, you're right. This game is going to end with them back in power again, only for them to retire once more in Yakuza 6 and be brought back into the fold once more. :p
There can't be a cherry blossom viewing party until Kaoru returns. She and Kazuma need to kiss as the petals rain across the screen. After the game ends, optional kimono costumes are unlocked!

I'm kind of hoping Kazuma dies at the end of this game. Everything about him has become tired, and unless it's revealed he has a secret love child or had a gay affair, there's nothing that can be done to make him interesting again.

IrishNinja

It comes out in December, right? We should have more than a teaser.

damn i keep forgetting its this year for them...fuckin spoiled over there

id buy that game too!

Well, I mean, she's going to go "Oji-san, I thought you left that life behind! I don't want you to get hurt!" and then somehow she gets roped into all of that stuff as well. lol

thought this thread was gonna be spoiler-free

firehawk12

Subete no aware
There can't be a cherry blossom viewing party until Kaoru returns. She and Kazuma need to kiss as the petals rain across the screen. After the game ends, optional kimono costumes are unlocked!

I'm kind of hoping Kazuma dies at the end of this game. Everything about him has become tired, and unless it's revealed he has a secret love child or had a gay affair, there's nothing that can be done to make him interesting again.
You know, at this point, I'm not sure if he should have a happy ending or a tragic ending. I suppose killing him off and making Haruka the true face of the franchise would be interesting (at the very least she'd have a reason to be the main character anyway) if they keep churning out these games.

But yeah, either way, I'm probably ready for something different. I think Tanamura showed that they could do a game about the police and have it still maintain that "Yakuza" feel.

id buy that game too!
Let's do it!

thought this thread was gonna be spoiler-free
Spoilers for every Yakuza game ever made (except maybe the PSP game :p)

IrishNinja

totally forgot about Karou.

and man, there's one thing ive wanted to see him do - quietly thank dojima for his services, beat everyone's ass for their incompetence and just take the throne. Yakuza 6 would be "the fall of Kiryu" and youd have hundreds of yakuza and ninjas fighting him to end his terrible reign, and Daigo is the only one who can knock him down, and then he steps down and says "and thats why you always leave a note" "now you're storng enough to rule" and fades off into the sunset of okinawa.

tuu2A.jpg

like that, but with Kazzy-chan.

IrishNinja

Let's do it!

okay i just did 6, let's call your game 7 and make it all mini-games after that

Spoilers for every Yakuza game ever made (except maybe the PSP game :p)

also Kazzy & crew beat a bad guy into submission but dont check for a gun, so he shoots and kills a supporting cast member who just redeemed themselves this game and/or himself

dammit double post, sorry guys

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
whatever yakuza fan-fiction you guys make up is going to be more elaborate than the actual game's plot

They've already played the evil twin card. It's all downhill from here.

into submission but dont check for a gun, so he shoots and kills a supporting cast member who just redeemed themselves this game and/or himself
this is totally going to be how mr. baseball dies

Globox_82

Banned
hmm maybe I finally get a game from this series. This seems cool as shit!

Anyone knows when is this getting released in Japan, and if it has English subs?

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
hmm maybe I finally get a game from this series. This seems cool as shit!

Anyone knows when is this getting released in Japan, and if it has English subs?
It comes out in December. The other games haven't had English subs. If this doesn't come out in America though, you'll have at least one person to stumble through the game with.

IrishNinja

whatever yakuza fan-fiction you guys make up is going to be more elaborate than the actual game's plot

mabye, but they're relied on Kiryu to bail them out how many times now? i almost feel like "the fall of kiryu" is inevitable.

this is totally going to be how mr. baseball dies

oh my god you're right, poor bastard has no chance. no one gets to just walk away, except maybe Tanimura.

It comes out in December. The other games haven't had English subs. If this doesn't come out in America though, you'll have at least one person to stumble through the game with.

two, sir. he'll have two.

hunting? as if this game wasn't manly enough already.

i know right? everyone's on about the idol stuff, meanwhile the next DLC will have Sejima fighting Zangief on top of living bears

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
The fact that I can stay up until the early hours of the morning to talk about Yakuza is a testament to how much I love this franchise. Please release this in English Sega.
mabye, but they're relied on Kiryu to bail them out how many times now? i almost feel like "the fall of kiryu" is inevitable.
The beginning of the first game was sort of the fall of Kiryu. I don't know how he can go lower than taxi driving.

oh my god you're right, poor bastard has no chance. no one gets to just walk away, except maybe Tanimura.
His model is uglier than all the others. He's a shoe-in for character death. :(

two, sir. he'll have two.
<3

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I really want to know what endgame sub-story involved Kiryu babysitting. I thought that between the infantilism and bathing in money, I had seen all the ridiculous Yakuza sub-stories.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I really want to know what endgame sub-story involved Kiryu babysitting. I thought that between the infantilism and bathing in money, I had seen all the ridiculous Yakuza sub-stories.
IIRC
someone basically abandons the baby and you have to find the mother.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow then. I should probably try some of the post-game challenges again too. Anyone who platinumed the game is incredible.

IrishNinja

I guess I know what I'm doing tomorrow then. I should probably try some of the post-game challenges again too. Anyone who platinumed the game is incredible.

nah, you're thinking of 3...those dudes are hardcore.
i just don't know if i have that kinda commitment.

lunch

there's ALWAYS ONE
nah, you're thinking of 3...those dudes are hardcore.
i just don't know if i have that kinda commitment.
I completed the game at 27% and there are some trophies that I just cannot get (the table tennis gets me too embarrassed to finish it) and as soon as I got to the challenge that required defeating a group of enemies using Tanimura's dodge alone, I bailed out. So anyone who platinumed either game gets my respect.

Top Bottom