• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza developers announce "Fist of the North Star" game (PS4, 2018, more at TGS)

IrishNinja

Shit bruh u need to reacquiante yourself with the greatness that is hokuto. No ken
Go to crunchyroll and let that ai wo torimodose heat up your souuuuuuuuuuuuul

maybe i do, i mean i played the old games & watched the original anime flick but that's all

I've watched this trailer 9 times now and every single time I find myself even more excited about this game. Came out of absolutely nowhere to be most anticipated game in years. Here's hoping we get a western release date announcement sometime soon.

The only thing stopping it from working out is JoJo isn't filled with mindless goons.

So we need to go OG JoJo and bring back vampires.

Can we get a 50 year old Joseph just awakening to his Stand powers fighting random vampires and Stand users in Japan instead?

He is the best JoJo after all.

Also, Yakuza-GAF, help a guy out and let me know how I get into Yakuza games? I have a PS4, so I have that much down.

Can we get a 50 year old Joseph just awakening to his Stand powers fighting random vampires and Stand users in Japan instead?

He is the best JoJo after all.

Also, Yakuza-GAF, help a guy out and let me know how I get into Yakuza games? I have a PS4, so I have that much down.

Go buy/play Yakuza Zero. Done. Then the rest if you want.

Go buy/play Yakuza Zero. Done. Then the rest if you want.

Thanks. Generally I'd go for the games with a 0 in the title to start, but I wasn't sure if that was the best choice, lol. I just looked it up, seems a lot of games are still slated for release in the West but aren't here yet, which for me made it seem like there were way more games out here than there really were. Guess I'll be waiting for everything to hit along with you guys soon enough, tho.

cntr

Banned
Thanks. Generally I'd go for the games with a 0 in the title to start, but I wasn't sure if that was the best choice, lol. I just looked it up, seems a lot of games are still slated for release in the West but aren't here yet, which for me made it seem like there were way more games out here than there really were. Guess I'll be waiting for everything to hit along with you guys soon enough, tho.
Zero is a prequel to the first game, but it's fine as a beginning too. Then, you can play Kiwami, a remake of the first game, along with the upcoming remake of the second game.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Then why am I watching this movie on YouTube right now?

There are multiple movies. Many are a lot more recent than the original anime series from the 80's. Some are retellings of the manga and original anime series while others are new side stories.

So excited for the game. Took out my action figures and did a quick crossover. There better be a showdown between Kenshiro and Kiryu in the game!

UY2m6og.jpg

qp3ne7n.jpg

rZFyxLN.jpg

labatqB.jpg

Shifty

I just realised that this game needs a Don Quixote equivalent.

And the jingle that plays when you go in needs to be a variant of the HnK opening tune.

YOU WA SHOP

Crayon

This movie is bloody as fuck. I guess in 86 cartoons were allowed to be this violent.

I saw this when I was twelve and I loved the violence. That's when mortal kombat was big. I was never huge in to comic books but comic book stores were pretty common and the comics I liked back then were almost always very violent. I still to this day love super violent stuff as long as it's not too realistic.

But yeah I just watched the movie again yesterday and it's bloody as fuck.

cntr

Banned
The 80s were the era of violent as fuck manga, and Fist of the North Star was king.

The manga ran in Weekly Shounen Jump, by the way, a magazine aimed at teenagers and kids. It's just as violent.

silva1991

So excited for the game. Took out my action figures and did a quick crossover. There better be a showdown between Kenshiro and Kiryu in the game!

I love the third one xD

The 80s were the era of violent as fuck manga, and Fist of the North Star was king.

The manga ran in Weekly Shounen Jump, by the way, a magazine aimed at teenagers and kids. It's just as violent.

The manga is over... right? this isn't a Berserk/HxH situation I hope :p

If it's done I might read it. I don't feel like starting Deadman Wonderland.

But they're both the same person. Even their voice is the same!
LOL as if that would stop them! Both Kenshiro and his brother Toki have an impostor in the anime/manga. Maybe that will inspire a sidequest in the game.

lol, nice.

I love the third one xD

If it's done I might read it. I don't feel like starting Deadman Wonderland.
Thank you both.
The manga ended in 1988. There are a few spin-offs but nothing as popular as the main series

CHC

So judging by the trailer I'm guessing this isn't just a straight brawler, but instead closer to the Yakuza formula? The cocktail scene sort of implies to me that there will be other activities.

Not overly familiar with the manga / anime so forgive me if this is a dumb question / assumption.

cntr

Banned
Oh, yeah, it finished in 1988.

It's...kind of cheese, since it's from the 80s. But the art's still great, and it's pretty fun.

definitely better than something like deadman wonderland though, lol

So judging by the trailer I'm guessing this isn't just a straight brawler, but instead closer to the Yakuza formula? The cocktail scene sort of implies to me that there will be other activities.

Not overly familiar with the manga / anime so forgive me if this is a dumb question / assumption.
Yup. The setting's normally a post-apocalyptic wasteland deal, but the game's set on a Yakuza-style city that Kenshiro comes across.

vocab

I love the third one xD

Yeah it's finished. It finished way before Dragonball finished. HNK is more hyper violent. There's times wheres its more violent than both of those, but it's also over the top to the point of being ridiculous. There's suicide, implied rape, limbs severed, bones shattered, body count the size of a small country, etc.

TreIII

Maybe after this game is done, they'll feel brave enough to do a game about Souten no Ken, next time.

If it weren't for that Hokuto no Ken is (by far) more popular, you'd think they'd do that, first. Yang Wang/Kasumi Kenshiro, his Triad pals and the Three Splinter factions of Hokuto Shin Ken fighting it out in Shanghai, would be even more fitting for the Yakuza team to tackle.

MrKeinov

I'm looking forward to this game, at the same time I wonder what other franchises will see "... ga gotoku" spin-off's. I think perfect fit for it would be F-zero. Kicking ass as Captain Falcon in a sandbox Mute City would be my dream. Hiroyuki Sakamoto already had a past with F-zero. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxX8wBEH64I

I'll be crossing my fingers for Farukon ga Gotoku. 2 new Metroid titles one by an outsider studio gives me hopes for F-Zero's revival in some form.

raven777

Nagoshi confirmed on the stream that the game is running on Kiwami 1 engine, not the new Dragon engine from Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2.

StereoVsn

Nagoshi confirmed on the stream that the game is running on Kiwami 1 engine, not the new Dragon engine from Yakuza 6 and Kiwami 2.
Well, that's strange. I wonder if it was too far in production when Y6 came out which means this is probably mid 2018 title.

Possibly for frame rate reasons considering Y0 is 60fps and Y6 is 30fps?

yeah, possible. For the full glory of Ken's classic move, 60fps would be preferable.

Here's hoping they update the new engine sooner rather than later so its sequel (if there's one) can use it.

raven777

Well, that's strange. I wonder if it was too far in production when Y6 came out which means this is probably mid 2018 title.

Well, Nagoshi said the Dragon engine is still evolving and is harder to use compared to previous engine, so with all these projects at once they had to make decision to use Kiwami engine for this one. And also this is using toon shading so it would work well with the previous engine.

CHC

Yup. The setting's normally a post-apocalyptic wasteland deal, but the game's set on a Yakuza-style city that Kenshiro comes across.

Just what I was hoping for. I love how they kept the 80s anime proportions too - giant lanky muscles and a small, narrow head with big hair. Really iconic of that era.

nampad

Know nothing of the anime (except the meme) but this looks over the top silly in a good way.
The Japanese 3rd party support for the PS4 just keeps on giving.

Top Bottom