• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza developers announce "Fist of the North Star" game (PS4, 2018, more at TGS)

Stiler

So glad, this series deserves a good developer like the Yakuza devs.

Wonder if there's any chance they'd do an English VO? A lot of people grew up with the english dub of the movie and that's how many people first got introduced to it, it'd nice to have the option.

Kyuur

As someone who hasn't played the Yakuza game, this won't be anything like Musou right? That horde of enemies had me worried.

Stiler

As someone who hasn't played the Yakuza game, this won't be anything like Musou right? That horde of enemies had me worried.

Yakuza is nothing like Musou games, it's not waves after waves of enemies and fighting a huge group of mindless AI.

Yakuza games are more like rpg's and focus a lot more on story/narrative along with more immersive sim features, lots of little details and then some wacky mini-games for things. It's got a lot more to it then simply fighting.

Even then the fighting in Yakuza is usually in small groups , you're not taking on 100's of braindead AI or anything.

This is one of the greatest gaming news I've heard in years!! Holy crap, after they've takled Fist of the North I hope to god they give Berserk a try.

edit: ahh come'on, where's the gore? What's up with the blood splashes but no holes and what not? That hand should have been destroyed like in the manga.

vocab

So glad, this series deserves a good developer like the Yakuza devs.

Wonder if there's any chance they'd do an English VO? A lot of people grew up with the english dub of the movie and that's how many people first got introduced to it, it'd nice to have the option.

I hate the movie, and feels its the worst possible look at the series as a whole. Plus the dub to kens rage was some weak shit. I don't have much faith in a future dub, or if sega wants to blow resources on one.

Single location, mate. Have faith in Nagoshi and team
They've got designers who worked on Super Monkey Ball and Jet Set Radio still on the team. You can trust them to adapt.

Besides what makes it a great match is the combat which looks perfect!
Ehhh... I don't know.

As someone who is only a fan of the Yakuza Team and doesn't know much about FotNS, the trailer did nothing for me.

I'll try to remain optimistic, but I don't think this'll be as good or successful as people expect it to be.

Zukkoyaki

I know next to nothing about this franchise but I love the Yakuza team and that trailer looked pretty cool so this has my attention. I'm just happy to see them working on something else. I love when talented devs get the chance to spread their wings a bit and try something new.

this isn't a Musou for one.

do people not have working eyes around here?

"See one dude beat up a group of people, what's the difference?"

Nuances, actually. Which may or may not indicate how not popular Yakuza still is. =/

To the average player...

u8hOypJ.png

this looks like a Musou because they have absolutely no context in which to gauge that the folks in the background are just the crowd walling you in.

Which is to say, hey, maybe instead of snark you can just answer the question, like so:

Yakuza is nothing like Musou games, it's not waves after waves of enemies and fighting a huge group of mindless AI.

Yakuza games are more like rpg's and focus a lot more on story/narrative along with more immersive sim features, lots of little details and then some wacky mini-games for things. It's got a lot more to it then simply fighting.

Even then the fighting in Yakuza is usually in small groups , you're not taking on 100's of braindead AI or anything.

And for the doubters, it has to be better than the last FotNS game I played from sega:

[The Last Battle]
That game gets such a bad rap. Why? Am I the only one who liked it?

(Then again, I never actually owned it - I only ever played it here and there by friends - so maybe that's why?)

Carnby

Nice call.

I cannot fucking wait for this game, looks amazing.

And for the doubters, it has to be better than the last FotNS game I played from sega:

cvab-us-Last_Battle.jpg

I loved this game when I was a kid. It wasn't until a few years ago, I learned this is a FOTNS game.

Do I watch this show dubbed or subbed?

Also, should we do some kind of book club for all the Yakuza GAF folks checking out this show in preparation for the game.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!

Also, should we do some kind of book club for all the Yakuza GAF folks checking out this show in preparation for the game.

I don't think anything beyond episode like... 36 is dubbed. And I'm sure the dub is terrible anyway.

Also, anyone who's diving into the TV series should give the show a bit of time. It's a villain of the week affair for a little while, but it actually gets really good.

vocab

subbed. A lot of great industry voices are in the series. Part 2 doesn't even have a dub. And yes, part 2 is generally seen as weaker (most HnK games/references don't even cover it lol) but still worth your time for how short it is. Plus kill the fight is such a good song.

That game gets such a bad rap. Why? Am I the only one who liked it?

(Then again, I never actually owned it - I only ever played it here and there by friends - so maybe that's why?)

I loved this game when I was a kid. It wasn't until a few years ago, I learned this is a FOTNS game.

It's an average as hell game for the time. I played a lot of it, but the controls and the fighting were never great. I liked its non-linearity, and it was ambitious, but yeah I could never get far along in it. Plus it was censored to hell.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
subbed. A lot of great industry voices are in the series. Part 2 doesn't even have a dub. And yes, part 2 is generally seen as weaker (most HnK games/references don't even cover it lol) but still worth your time for how short it is. Plus kill the fight is such a good song.

Nah, HnK 2 is still pretty rad. Shachi is pretty much the coolest.

Stiler

I hate the movie, and feels its the worst possible look at the series as a whole. Plus the dub to kens rage was some weak shit. I don't have much faith in a future dub, or if sega wants to blow resources on one.

eh, I quite enjoyed it, though I haven't seen it in many years now. It was one of my first introductions to anime as a kid, next to Vampire Hunter D and Akira.

cntr

Banned
I just realized, when Kenshiro launches the guy on the bike into the air, he doesn't just become a glint in the eye.

He becomes one of the stars of the Big Dipper. Fucking amazing!

Crayon

Life is the result of the struggle between dynamic opposites. Form and Chaos. Substance and Oblivion. Light and Dark. And all the infinite variations of Yin and Yang.

When the pendulum swings in favor of one, it eventually swings back in favor of it's opposite.

And thus the balance of the Universe is maintained.

Barakov

Gold Member
Looks fantastic. HnK mixed with RGG gameplay will be great. It's really nice to have a genuine surprise.

I don't think anything beyond episode like... 36 is dubbed. And I'm sure the dub is terrible anyway.

Also, anyone who's diving into the TV series should give the show a bit of time. It's a villain of the week affair for a little while, but it actually gets really good.

Ok, thanks. Just watched the first two episodes subbed.

I don't really watch anime, but I think I'm going to keep watching this.

Card Boy

Banned

I would read the manga, you will blaze through it x4 as fast as the show and the manga is drawn better than the show.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
This is one of the greatest gaming news I've heard in years!! Holy crap, after they've takled Fist of the North I hope to god they give Berserk a try.

edit: ahh come'on, where's the gore? What's up with the blood splashes but no holes and what not? That hand should have been destroyed like in the manga.
I don't know but I can tell you that if we show content before we receive esrb, pegi etc ratings, we are highly conservative about the level of violence, gore etc. it could be as simple as that.

Crayon

Physical strength is no substitute for Perception.
For Perception is the key which unlocks the intangible power of the Spirit.

You perceive nothing.

Top Bottom