• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza developers announce "Fist of the North Star" game (PS4, 2018, more at TGS)

Simo

Nope. Anime. It's on crunchyroll right now.

------

Fist of the North Star game, yes!!!!!

Silly question but is Crunchyroll free or is it a subscription based app/pay per episode?

Seeing the trailer and the studio behind the game is exciting and giving me wicked flashbacks to 20 years ago when I used to watch the anime series on Channel 4 in the UK every Sunday night at like 1am with Vidz etc. I never did finish the series though because they kept changing their late night line up . lol

Silly question but is Crunchyroll free or is it a subscription based app/pay per episode?

Seeing the trailer and the studio behind the game is exciting and giving me wicked flashbacks to 20 years ago when I used to watch the anime series on Channel 4 in the UK every Sunday night at like 1am with Vidz etc. I never did finish the series though because they kept changing their late night line up . lol

Its free with adds into episodes.

Or pay and dont get adds.

lupinko

Has Kiryu's voice actor voiced Ken before?

Not sure, but they're all terrible. None of them hold a candle to Akira Kamiya. Only mistake Sega/Arc did with the Atomiswave game too, although they did get a soundalike at least for that game.

This game just has Kiryu's seiyuu doing the Kiryu voice. Sigh.

Crayon

Im gonna explode ALL the heads!

giphy.gif

yoshiunity

I'm halfway to beating Yakuza 0, still need to get Kiwami, WILL get Kiwami 2, WILL also get 6 and the one with the new protagonist. Now these guys are making a Fist of the North Star game? They REALLY want my money and I'm more than happy to oblige! Because this looks fantastic.

I'd be scared to try that martini. One sip might make my taste buds explode and THEN hit my pressure points.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
How big is the Yakuza team to be constantly pumping out games like this? Or are they just that damn good?

cntr

Banned
How big is the Yakuza team to be constantly pumping out games like this? Or are they just that damn good?
They're really small. Like a hundred people.

They just have a really smooth production, a high budget, and reuse a fuckton of assets.

HStallion

They're really small. Like a hundred people.

They just have a really smooth production, a high budget, and reuse a fuckton of assets.

I mean even still they're going to have like... 4 Yakuza games out in a 2 year span plus a Fist of the North Star after that. That's a lot of games even if they're reusing assets and stuff.

matmanx1

Oh wow, I did not see this coming. This is amazing and a perfect fit for the Yakuza team. I love the cell-shading and the trailer had me giggling and grinning from ear to ear. So good!

Wereroku

I mean even still they're going to have like... 4 Yakuza games out in a 2 year span plus a Fist of the North Star after that. That's a lot of games even if they're reusing assets and stuff.

Did they actually give a date on the Shin Yakuza? But realistically they are modeling actual places which reduces the load along with keeping the same engine for years and just making refinements. Even this game is using a modified version of Kamurocho probably. Also a smaller team like that is also probably more stable so I am sure they are all highly experienced dev's and artists.

HStallion

Did they actually give a date on the Shin Yakuza? But realistically they are modeling actual places which reduces the load along with keeping the same engine for years and just making refinements. Even this game is using a modified version of Kamurocho probably. Also a smaller team like that is also probably more stable so I am sure they are all highly experienced dev's and artists.

Props to them as there are studios many times the size that aren't half as productive.

Wereroku

Props to them as there are studios many times the size that aren't half as productive.

I don't think it's that other studios are less productive it's just that they have to make brand new assets for each new release. Yakuza seems to have their pipelines streamlined and reduce load but using assets multiple times. Their longer dev times always seem to be around new engine transitions. They just seem to be the masters of project management.

The Online game is due out next year. However the console game hasn't really revealed many details so it could be next year or even 2019 depending how far along they are.

Aki-at

They went on a recruitment run recently and said their numbers are closer to 190 to 200 now.

But they're also sadly overworked, much like most of Japanese workforce. Nagoshi use to say he only got 4 hours sleep back in 2010 or something so that tells you what you need to know :(

Gotta fuckin' love famous Japanese anime. Regardless of the years that have past, iconic designs remain true throughout years, nobody's bitchin' and moaning about "modernizing" them like over here in the West ("Oh, I can't relate to something that looks like that! Gotta update it and make it more appealing to MY perception of the world!!!"). As a result, this game still has that 80s post-apocalyptic look that was present in Hokuto no Ken manga (and anime), and I wouldn't have it any other way. The classic 80s post-apocalyptic setting works, the classic Tetsuo Hara designs fit. This game's gonna be awesome!

Incredible news. Loved Hokuto no Musou/Ken's Rage 1 & 2 and always imagined what it would be like if RGG/Yakuza were to crossover with this franchise and man...this was the biggest surprise of all.

In November 2016, I travelled to Kabukicho, Tokyo to film a new documentary series comparing real-life Kabukicho Tokyo to the fictionalized Kamurocho Tokyo featured in the Yakuza series by Sega.

In 2012, I filmed a documentary series, Yakuza Locations Tour 2012 to celebrate the release of the upcoming Yakuza 5 (Ryu Ga Gotoku 5). The documentary was met with overwhelming positive response from the fans and the Ryu Ga Gotoku Studios team.

To celebrate my 5th year anniversary on YouTube, this is my tribute to the Yakuza (龍が如く) franchise and the amazingly talented team at Sega. This video was a labor of love, made by a fan for the fans.

Since March, I've uploaded weekly episodes. The Finale was uploaded on August 19th (ten days before Kiwami's Western release; a week before the spectacular RGG Studios Livestream). Here is the complete playlist of all 42 episodes of my Yakuza Locations Tour 2016 documentary (龍が如く : 場所のツアー 2016) :

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL0HKt-kbL9salfM8AniFF6VEkIygbcP_1

Rymuth

I'm halfway to beating Yakuza 0, still need to get Kiwami, WILL get Kiwami 2, WILL also get 6 and the one with the new protagonist. Now these guys are making a Fist of the North Star game? They REALLY want my money and I'm more than happy to oblige! Because this looks fantastic.

I'd be scared to try that martini. One sip might make my taste buds explode and THEN hit my pressure points.

But you'll experience heaven before it happens.

tumblr_o9lpm96p411ttia6ao6_250.gif

Opa-Pa

I'm so jealous of Hokuto no Ken fans that I might just get into it just to prepare for this game's release lol. I always kinda wanted to anyway.

Top Bottom