• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Summer Sales 2014 |OT2| The valiant never taste of death but once

Status
Not open for further replies.

iosefe

DniVaxp.png

So I'm giving away one of the games in the banner above, which one though is a mystery.

t1403678400z4.png

This giveaway though....so clever

Yeah, that's fine. NV is not bad. To be honest, there are very few games with branching storylines I have been happy with. I stayed away from them for a while because of that.

Using the excuse "that's the game" doesn't satisfy me though. Yes, that's the game. But, let's compare something more recent. Look at the outcry over Assassin's Creed V not featuring a playable female character. That's the game. Doesn't give it a pass. At least allow a conversation. Don't dismiss criticism with "that's what the writers felt was appropriate."

Those two things are not even remotely comparable. A game being shitty and uninclusive is not the same as a story being unforgiving. Being upset about disproportionate representation in a video game is a tad more legitimate than wishing all stories were nice and friendly.

Video games have an obligation to not be so exclusionary, but they don't have an obligation to not be grim.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Blackwell games are one of those games I kinda wanna play, but know I'm never going to finish for one reason or another. Then again, I love point'n'click genre as a whole and if nothing else, atleast the games have steam cards.

...So I guess I'll grab the bundle :p

It looks like the games can on average just be beaten in a single afternoon. Sounds about right for my gaming time!

It's things like going to Nipton satisfies the requirement for 2 of those quests (Ghost and that one "we're doomed" ranger at the outpost) and the freeing of those Powder Gangers from the legion counts as a quest.

Sure they have more quests on that list but most of them just feel like they should be unmarked like a lot of stuff in F3 is. Not quest-worthy if you get my meaning.

I understand. I mostly posted that image to combat the idea that there isn't as much to do or see in NV.

DniVaxp.png

So I'm giving away one of the games in the banner above, which one though is a mystery.

Instructions/Rules/Stuff for participants:

-If you would like to take part in this give away you must draw a picture depicting the chaos of the Steam Summer Sale.

- You can rush it or take your time, the deadline is 10:41 PST; giving you about nine hours or so. (Also if someone could come up with some sort of countdown clock that I could embed that would be awesome!)

- When you post your artwork in the thread, please PM a link to your post so I keep track of everyone's submissions.

- I will not be judging, I'm leaving that job up to my sister. Here is her steam profile if you want to bribe her: http://steamcommunity.com/id/lordpooky :p

- Sometime after 9:41, I will post here letting people know who one and then I will gift that person the game over Steam.

Hopefully it will be fun and plenty straight forward. And if I have money after buying my new monitor and speakers then I will do some more of these before the sale ends, because having one game to give away originally wasn't my intention. EDIT: Also I will be reposting this throughout the day.

t1403678400z4.png

is that freddie the fish

Caerith

When I first hit that section in the game I was sitting there thinking
"why can't I try to broker a peace agreement between the BOS and NCR?" I didn't even get an option to try and fail - just go blow up their base, women and children included or don't. Don't come back until you are done. And my character's options were 'no' and stop that plot-line cold or 'okayleydokely' and go off an be a mass murderer.
It was shit design. It felt like they were purposefully trying to make sure they railroaded me into some despicable act instead of letting the story flow in a more natural way.
I brokered a peace agreement between NCR and BOS.
It's possible to complete the game without killing anyone (although
one person will eventually die
as a result of your actions).

Red

Those two things are not even remotely comparable. A game being shitty and uninclusive is not the same as a story being unforgiving. Being upset about disproportionate representation in a video game is a tad more legitimate than wishing all stories were nice and friendly.

Video games have an obligation to not be so exclusionary, but they don't have an obligation to not be grim.

It's got nothing to do with being nice and friendly. No game has an obligation to be happy. No game has an obligation to be inclusive, either. But it's nice when your choices feel like your choices, with a little more flexibility than a train switch clicking from one track to another.

Lain

people posting lists of what they bought, what they are going to buy, and what they wish would go on sale are generally annoying.

I can understand for simple damages lists, but this is a thread about the steam sale, what's wrong with people posting what they are going to buy or hope to see on sale?

nexen

I brokered a peace agreement between NCR and BOS.
It's possible to complete the game without killing anyone (although
one person will eventually die
as a result of your actions).

How did you manage this? Was it charisma based speech check or some hidden questline or something?
I honestly didn't mind too much about House dying. It was blowing up the BOS that I didn't want to do. It seemed a waste not to put House to work for the NCR or BOS though.

Salsa

dont forget

ModBot 2 said:
Instructions for SalsaShark:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- MEGA GIVERS ONLY! You must have given away at least 25 games through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 24 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

xheRJRF.gif
Bad Rats -- MB-E63936008DD8637F - Taken by NotSelf

t1403652932z1.png

here's my proposition to you:

Modbot chooses the image of the game based around the name I input... so the game could be not bad rats, and Modbot wouldnt know it

the game could be something else....... ;)

or it could not

let the games begin

7enW2wN.gif

rtcn63

If you buy NV, get the mod(s) that allow you to play the game effectively as a straight FPS. I like it. I like death. The taste... of death.

Ventara

Yeah, I think so.
Incidentally I meant to buy some of those Humongous games for my little nephew - the complete collection is a little steep though - are they any good?

I used to play Freddie Fish when I was little, and I recall them being awesome. Nice puzzles and visually appealing.

Veggy

I loved both Fallout 3 and NV, but if I had to pick one I would probably go for NV

Of course the correct answer is
get both

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom