• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Legend of Legacy (3DS) announced [JRPG, SaGa & ex-S-E staff, MASASHI HAMAUZU]

Mariolee

Legend of Legacy

KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif

Looks cool tho

Can't wait for the sequels.

Final Legend of Legacy

NolbertoS

It will never leave Japan, don't even bother hyping this up.

Sad because it looks really nice.

The music is so epic, ugggggh.

I think it could be localized, but don't expect a physical version, probably the same as Unchained Blades, digital download for 29.99 US or something. Its still in my backlog, but I'm hoping the E-shop store will carry it.

I definitely see XSEED doing a retail localization. RF4 was a big hit IIRC and Kagura Burst also did really well. I think XSEED will be much less doubtful about 3DS localizations from here on out.

Hastati

Well, I don't know if I'll play the game, but I'm definitely getting the OST. This is just marvelous!!!!! Based off the starting character classes and cartography description, is this a dungeon crawler? I hope it has some kind of strong narrative, because this music deserves it. Also the Aztec-Muscha hybrid artwork is great.

I seem to remember (although I can't find it now) a representative of XSEED saying that FuRyu were difficult to work with in that they just kept focusing on developing their own titles rather than inserting the already-finished translation of Unchained Blades so they could release it in the west.

It sounded like not the best experience, and given that we've never seen a FuRyu-published game in the west again, seems possible that they just might not want to work with them again.

Let's see how it performs in Japan first anyway. Hopefully the Bravely Default connection can pull it out of the slumping sales that the last FuRyu original games have seen.

Oregano

I wouldn't expect this to be localised at all. Not only have we missed numerous FuRyu games but it's also a 3DS game; publishers aren't interested.

I definitely see XSEED doing a retail localization. RF4 was a big hit IIRC and Kagura Burst also did really well. I think XSEED will be much less doubtful about 3DS localizations from here on out.
Not to mention Bravely Default success in the West despite being published by Nintendo shows that there are audience for this genre.

Oregano

"Despite"? Being published by Nintendo seems like an unambiguously good thing.

I think he means in the sense that third parties won't care how successful it was because it was published by Nintendo. I personally doubt Bravely Default's western success has affected anything; we might not even get Bravely Second.

"Despite"? Being published by Nintendo seems like an unambiguously good thing.
I know it's s good thing it's just because Nintendo is a 1st party and not a 3rd party and Nintendo has an effect in promoting certain IPs, it's just 3rd parties shouldn't be discouraged because of the myth "only Nintendo games sells on Nintendo systems "

@MUWANdo

Banned
I know it's s good thing it's just because Nintendo is a 1st party and not a 3rd party and Nintendo has an effect in promoting certain IPs, it's just 3rd parties shouldn't be discouraged because of the myth "only Nintendo games sells on Nintendo systems "

Gotcha.

I think he means in the sense that third parties won't care how successful it was because it was published by Nintendo. I personally doubt Bravely Default's western success has affected anything; we might not even get Bravely Second.

S-E specifically cited Bravely Default as a game that made them rethink the viability of traditional JRPGs in today's market and the international market in particular, I can't imagine they're gonna just drop it all of a sudden.

ohlawd

the battle screens remind me of the view angle when fighting in the DS versions of FFIII and IV.

still SE tho

manzo

Judging from the screenshots this is like your basic F2P mobage charadesign infused with the SaGa series. Looks like shit and probably plays like shit too; FuRyu's output hasn't been stellar.

Also, The Legend of Legacy? That's Beyond the Beyond level hilarious.

perorist

Unconfirmed Member
I must be desensitized to Japanese English naming because Legend of Legacy doesn't sound strange or generic to me in even the slightest.

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Lost Diemnsion seemed like a pretty big RPG. I'm still waiting for someone to pick up the localization for west. I guess everybody pretty busy with what they have right now.

lol yeah no its not that big of a game, let alone that good of one.

its an ok game but nothing more than that.

the concept was interesting though, but the character design and general gameplay mechanics were a bit lacking.

at least this game looks better, but still am wary since its not like FuRyu is exactly a company Id put my trust in. But we will see when it comes out.

L~A

List of people working on the game... yup, there's some Sa-Ga guys in there, ha ha.

ディレクター: 松浦正尭
イメージイラスト:小林智美(ロマサガシリーズ)
ゲームデザイン:小泉今日治(ロマサガシリーズ)
キャラクターデザイン:平尾リョウ
背景美術:筒井美佐子(聖剣伝説2)
モンスターデザイン:小島雄一郎、下釜陵志
コンポーザー:浜渦正志(アンリミテッド:サガ、FF13シリーズ)
サウンドエディター:齊藤賢一
テキストディレクション:加藤正人(クロノ・トリガー、FF7)
ナレーション:白鳥英美子
タイトルロゴデザイン:川口忠彦
ムービーデザイン:山形周平

manzo

List of people working on the game... yup, there's some Sa-Ga guys in there, ha ha.

イメージイラスト:小林智美(ロマサガシリーズ)

Well ain't that some shit.

コンポーザー:浜渦正志(アンリミテッド:サガ、FF13シリーズ)

OOOH SHIT

duckroll

Kyoji Koizumi is the game designer behind the battle systems of pretty much the entire SaGa series. From Romancing SaGa 2 all the way to Minstrel Song. He's been instrumental in designing a ton of weirdass combat systems in the series. It's pretty amazing that he's working on a new RPG.

L~A

Well, looks like there's some great people working on that game. Not a guarantee of quality, but that's a great start.

By the way, could you (or anyone else) please translate all the names? Thanks!

duckroll

Well, looks like there's some great people working on that game. Not a guarantee of quality, but that's a great start.

By the way, could you (or anyone else) please translate all the names? Thanks!

Director: Masataka Matsura
Image Illustration: Tomomi Kobayashi (SaGa franchise character illustrator)
Game Design: Kyoji Koizumi (SaGa franchise battle designer)
Character Design: Ryo Hirao
Background Art: Misako Tsutsui (ex-S-E background artist)
Monster Design: Yuichiro Kojima (ex-S-E texture artist), Ryoji Shimogama (ex-S-E creature designer)
Composer: Masashi Hamauzu (I hear he makes good music)
Sound Editor: Kenichi Saito
Text Direction: Masato Kato (wrote for Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, wrote and directed Chrono Cross)
Narration: Emiko Shiratori
Title Logo Design: Tadahiko Kawaguchi
Movie Design: Shuhei Yamagata

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/23062073.html

cljZ7Kr.jpg

r3RIsxC.jpg

What I wouldn't do for a game that accurately portrays Kobayashi's art style in game.

Her designs are so beautiful, but they almost always get reduced to chibis. (Which is fine in moderation, but not all the time.)

L~A

Director: Masataka Matsura
Image Illustration: Tomomi Kobayashi (SaGa franchise character illustrator)
Game Design: Kyoji Koizumi (SaGa franchise battle designer)
Character Design: Ryo Hirao
Background Art: Misako Tsutsui (ex-S-E background artist)
Monster Design: Yuichiro Kojima (ex-S-E texture artist), Ryoji Shimogama (ex-S-E creature designer)
Composer: Masashi Hamauzu (I hear he makes good music)
Sound Editor: Kenichi Saito
Text Direction: Masato Kato (wrote for Chrono Trigger and Xenogears, wrote and directed Chrono Cross)
Narration: Emiko Shiratori
Title Logo Design: Tadahiko Kawaguchi
Movie Design: Shuhei Yamagata

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/23062073.html

cljZ7Kr.jpg

r3RIsxC.jpg

Thanks a lot!

Well, looks like the game's in good hands, at the very least. Definitely low-budget, judging by the leaked screens, but that shouldn't be a problem.

Can't wait for the first trailer, to see all that in motion.

Top Bottom