• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Pachter Predicts: Xbox One outsold PS4 in September (dance, you puppets)

Are you saying people are challenging his prediction because they're Sony fanboys and not because it's a pretty crazy prediction as per usual even for Mr. Pachter himself?

I'm saying "fanboys" on either side are going a little too far here. Analysts predict stuff that is wrong all the damn time. Is this knew to you? And here you are jumping on me and trying to imply something i'm not implying.

Einbroch

Banned
Patcher getting ripped apart by the Sony crowd for suggesting MS won one month? Man, and people think the console wars are over....

No one is ripping him apart for that. People are ripping him apart because it makes no sense for September. Retail mumblings, first-hand accounts, etc all point to Sony doing gangbusters this month. Well, I can't say "no one", I'm sure some just hate him to hate him, which is weird. But...

October? Sure. That would make sense. But Pachter seems to predict sales based on games that are popular for him or his circle, which is bizarre. He constantly brings up Madden yet rarely mentions Destiny and the PS4 bundle, which apparently was incredibly popular.

He can say what he wants, but September specifically is just strange.

Hexa

People are going bananas on the guy, no? I don't think Patcher really cares which console comes out on top.

Do you really think he cares? Unless he has serious stock in Microsoft i don't see him losing sleep over it.

No one (that I have seen) is suggesting that he's a fanboy for MS or anything to that extent. Just that his credibility is seriously in question and his prediction completely goes again almost all of the evidence available to us. Which is fair enough Why shouldn't a prediction that seems woefully inaccurate at the present be ripped apart?

No one is ripping him apart for that. People are ripping him apart because it makes no sense for September. Retail mumblings, first-hand accounts, etc all point to Sony doing gangbusters this month. Well, I can't say "no one", I'm sure some just hate him to hate him, which is weird. But...

He tweeted such and i'm going to take his word on that.

People are going bananas on the guy, no?

It's a dumb prediction, that's why people are talking shit. Doesn't really have anything to do with Sony fan boys or anything. MS will take November thanks to Halo, but not last month when the biggest game of the month was being pushed so hard on PS4.

I don't think Patcher really cares which console comes out on top.

Do you really think he cares? Unless he has serious stock in Microsoft i don't see him losing sleep over it.

What is your point here? He clearly cares enough to be making the prediction. Do I think he's losing sleep over it? No. The hell does that have to do with his prediction?

It's a dumb prediction, that's why people are talking shit. Doesn't really have anything to do with Sony fan boys or anything. MS will take November thanks to Halo, but not last month when the biggest game of the month was being pushed so hard on PS4.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that not even Halo is going to push the Xbox over the PS4.

Tweeted what? That people are hating him because they hate him? Sure. It's Twitter. I thought you were talking about this thread.

No, i'm talking about the general bashing he is taking. Analysts do this all the time, they don't have crystal balls. It's the nature of the game, i don't understand the craziness behind it.

If it comes out that he was horrifically wrong then maybe he was click baiting which then going forward no one should sweat what he says.

And here you are jumping on me...

You seem to take simple responses as far more heated than they are.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that not even Halo is going to push the Xbox over the PS4.

I think it will. But, even if it doesn't, you surely agree that November would be a far smarter bet than September thanks to Halo?

He tweeted such and i'm going to take his word on that.

So, you're not actually addressing people in this thread?

If it comes out that he was horrifically wrong then maybe he was click baiting which then going forward no one should sweat what he says.

Not "sweating" what he says. Just discussing it on a message board. Kind of what we do here.

He's not click baiting. He just made a stupid prediction. Unless he's right. Then we'll all look hilariously stupid, and I'll laugh. Whatever.

Hexa

No, i'm talking about the general bashing he is taking. Analysts do this all the time, they don't have crystal balls. It's the nature of the game, i don't understand the craziness behind it.

What craziness are you talking about? He made a prediction. Most people think his prediction is completely wrong and are calling him out on it. That's the nature of the game as you so put it. What is happening that you are finding so wrong?

Anth0ny

Wii U > Xbox One > PS4 will be ideal if only for the great GAF Meltdown of October 2014, if nothing else.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was PS4 > Xbone > Wii U for the rest of the gen, honestly.

Wii U is about to have it's biggest month this November with Smash Bros (and the first holiday season following the release of Mario Kart 8). Yet, it's still probably going to be third to PS4 and Xbone.

I don't think a bunch of Halo remasters will be enough to push Xbone ahead of PS4 in November. I figure the only way Xbone will outsell PS4 from here on out is if it gets some massive price drop to the point where it's much cheaper than PS4, and even then it's a stretch. Maybe if they launch Halo 5 alongside a $299 Xbone SKU or something, though I don't know how realistic that is.

I know that you know... actually though it is funny to imagine Patcher actually is behind the v******z and uses it to push his agenda.

You'd be surprised to learn that some research analysts have earnestly used Chartz in notes to clients in the past.

Yes, they can be *that* oblivious to data integrity sometimes.

Luckily, Pachter and the majority of reputable analysts always stick to NPD.

Kayant

I don't think it's far fetched to suggest a certain section of the gaming population is hassling the dude considering he just tweeted about it.

But yah, lets pretend though it's the mob of level headed people coming at him feverishly

What? Please he said something that doesn't make too much sense and he got "hassled" for it. Why you singling out Sony fans like it's only that group attacking him. When you say silly stuff you get "hassled". Nothing new happens everywhere.

Edit - You acting like this is the first time he has been attacked for saying something.

Piggus

People are going bananas on the guy, no? I don't think Patcher really cares which console comes out on top.

Because such a prediction is dumb and goes against all logic and evidence.

Do we think he cares? Yes. Because it's his job to care.

IKR? That damn sony crowd, always up to no good.

swIGYrF.gif

Patroclos

Banned
Patcher getting ripped apart by the Sony crowd for suggesting MS won one month? Man, and people think the console wars are over....

Pachter is being ripped apart because he makes awful "predictions". He has a terrible track record. This would qualify as one of his more ridiculous predictions. Lol at it being console wars. Maybe it's just your perspective.

Jaxx

Banned
Big news from all of this is Pachter letting it be known that MS intends to repeat the free game sale. If that once again applies to the bundles, I'm going to wait just a bit longer.

Einbroch

Banned
He found it wrong enough to tweet about it. Lets just move on.

He's a public figure. He chose to be. He's an analyst. He can work for his clients and live that life, but he chose to be on Gametrailers, have his own show, and tweet to the gaming crowd.

Does this mean he should be attacked personally? Absolutely not. But calling him out on a public prediction is completely fine, as long as you leave personal attacks out of it. His public history has been spotty, and this latest prediction just goes against everyone else for seemingly no reason. It's easy to go "wtf" and call him out.

If we're wrong, and he's right, then we look dumb and laugh about it.

Majmun

Predicting that the Ps4 will sell less than the competition is not the reason for the hate.

September is going to be one of the biggest months for the Ps4. The console is popular, had a new color out, and the official Destiny campaign was huge. But it still somehow managed to only sell 250k? His prediction just doesn't make any sense at all.

That's why he's getting bashed.

I wouldn't be surprised if it was PS4 > Xbone > Wii U for the rest of the gen, honestly.

Wii U is about to have it's biggest month this November with Smash Bros (and the first holiday season following the release of Mario Kart 8). Yet, it's still probably going to be third to PS4 and Xbone.

I don't think a bunch of Halo remasters will be enough to push Xbone ahead of PS4 in November. I figure the only way Xbone will outsell PS4 from here on out is if it gets some massive price drop to the point where it's much cheaper than PS4, and even then it's a stretch. Maybe if they launch Halo 5 alongside a $299 Xbone SKU or something, though I don't know how realistic that is.
Are you sure about that? It would have to more than double last year's November.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I don't think it's far fetched to suggest a certain section of the gaming population is hassling the dude considering he just tweeted about it.

But yah, lets pretend though it's the mob of level headed people coming at him feverishly

This. The Sony Defense Force on GAF has gone too far this time. Sick and tired of it.

Pachter is being ripped apart because he makes awful "predictions". He has a terrible track record. This would qualify as one of his more ridiculous predictions. Lol at it being console wars. Maybe it's just your perspective.

There is a LOT to Pachter that you don't see reported to game sites.

I've seen everything that he releases, and I can tell you firsthand that he absolutely, definitely, 100% deserves his job...even if he makes silly, controversial comments to the public...and he is a bit of an attention whore at times.

The vast majority of analysing that Pachter does (that the general public never sees), is thoughtful, well-reasoned, and intelligent. He's definitely a good person to follow if you're interested in investment recommendations.

And even his video game predictions are not that bad most of the time. Pachter makes predictions every month...and most months nobody makes a thread about them because they're reasonable.

And in the yearly NPD Prediction rankings, Pachter scores decently. Hell, he was one rank above me in 2013.

This month, Pachter's XBO and Wii U predictions were perfectly fine...it was just his PS4 prediction that is wonky.

Patroclos

Banned
I think it will. But, even if it doesn't, you surely agree that November would be a far smarter bet than September thanks to Halo?

You were not talking to me but I agree. I do think Sony will win. I love purple Batman, care for a gentleman's bet? Yeah, I know, my avatar sucks. I was hoping you were super confident then I saw the post I quoted. lol.

I think that Pachter does have stock in Microsoft. He works at a financial company and as long as he isn't advising people to buy Microsoft products, then he isn't required to disclose his stock ownership. Otherwise he would be breaking the law with very real prison consequences.

That is just my guess on the situation though.

People need to stop using Twitter as a reflection of anything. You will get hate on twitter no matter who you are if you are even remotely notable. Even Ghandi, Jesus, Gabe Newell, and Keanu Reaves would all get hate if they were on Twitter.

Logash

Thinking of buying the Sunset Overdrive bundle myself. I have a feeling Microsoft is gonna get really aggressive responding to Sony's pressure so if I own both systems I benefit. Plus I have wanted to try KI since it was announced.

Top Bottom