• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony merges Gaming, Computer and Mobile Media groups, but lil' Johnny can't read

Opiate

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=ab3_d86GlL_I&refer=technology
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200902/09-028E/09-028E.pdf

Please note: this does not mean that they are leaving gaming, it means the Games division no longer exists. It is a subsidiary of a larger division that also includes the Sony Vaio computer and the Walkman.

We know very little beyond what these links provide us with. I'll try and keep everyone updated, but we're not likely to know more for weeks, if not months.

I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't done mostly to allow for some latitude from a financial perspective. Now they won't have to single out the gaming division (or their other electronic divisions, for that matter) in regards to profits (or lack thereof).

dyls

Opiate said:
http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601204&sid=ab3_d86GlL_I&refer=technology
http://www.sony.net/SonyInfo/News/Press/200902/09-028E/09-028E.pdf

Please note: this does not mean that they are leaving Gaming, it means the Games division no longer exists. It is a subsidiary of a larger division that also includes the Sony Vaio computer and the Walkman.

We know very little beyond what these links provide us with. I'll try and keep everyone updated, but we're not likely to know more for weeks, if not months.

Great, now trying to figure out how the PS3 and PSP are doing financially will be just as convoluted as it is with the 360. Keep your shit separate, Sony!

Opiate

DayShallCome said:
I wouldn't be surprised if this wasn't done mostly to allow for some latitude from a financial perspective. Now they won't have to single out the gaming division (or their other electronic divisions, for that matter) in regards to profits (or lack thereof).

That absolutely is a part of this, I suspect. In addition, it's clear Stringer wants these divisions to actually work together, instead of being independent entities that may or may not share common interests.

kenta

Has no PEINS
So basically they merged divisions and renamed the new one, then put Kaz in charge of it

Edit: Does anyone know if the Vaio brand is profitable and/or if it has any relevance in the computer industry? Seems like such dead weight to be dragging around

dyls said:
Great, now trying to figure out how the PS3 and PSP are doing financially will be just as convoluted as it is with the 360. Keep your shit separate, Sony!
I think this was the intention. To muddle the financials of either the PS or the other money losing divisions, whichever is losing money at that particular moment.

Leatherface

Well whatever is going on, it certainly doesn't make for good news on the surface. I can only imagine the craziness this will create. lol

Vinci

Danish
titiklabingapat said:
I think this was the intention. To muddle the financials of either the PS or the other money losing divisions, whichever is losing money at that particular moment.

Wouldn't it be better to know where all the blood is coming from, rather than have the surgeon look at the gushing and go, "Um ... yeah ... here, maybe??"

Opiate

Anerythristic said:
It is just a restructuring, which I assume the layoffs have already been announced for in that thread a few weeks back.

Absolutely, this needs to be repeated. Sony is not leaving gaming. However, it's probably not fair to call this "just a restructuring" in such a casual tone: this could have significant consequences for the future of the Playstation brand, and I highly doubt we've seen the end of the layoffs. Mergers that involve "streamlining" separate product lines always involve layoffs.

Anerythristic said:
I say panic...freak the fuck out!
c319f15e1e9a78f4b4dc098a6c6aa1.gif

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
dyls said:
Great, now trying to figure out how the PS3 and PSP are doing financially will be just as convoluted as it is with the 360.

Think of it like Sony gaining another Europe.

Sporty

Neo Member
DayShallCome said:

That was my thoughts also. Now we wont have headlines about how SCEA is in the hole dragging down profits.

As long they don't treat the gaming sector as a red headed step child or put some tool in charge it probably wont hurt.

Opiate

Vinci said:
Wouldn't it be better to know where all the blood is coming from, rather than have the surgeon look at the gushing and go, "Um ... yeah ... here, maybe??"

Sony will know. Investors will not.

This way, Sony can maintain hemmorhaging product lines without shareholders screaming for their heads. If the only thing investors know is that a large division is losing money, they cannot point to a single thing and say, "Get rid of that! We hate it!" and removes pressure on the company that they may view as shortsighted.

kenta

Has no PEINS
The use of the word "eliminates" in the thread title seems a little sensationalistic. Its accuracy is debatable but it seems desparate

devilhawk

kenta said:
So basically they merged divisions and renamed the new one, then put Kaz in charge of it

Edit: Does anyone know if the Vaio brand is profitable and/or if it has any relevance in the computer industry? Seems like such dead weight to be dragging around
I'm thinking the dead weight in this merger might just be the...:lol

Malvolio

Vinci said:

Well the surgeon will have that information. What you want is for the whole waiting room to also be privy to that info. Can't say I blame you, but apparently this is how things will work in this industry now.

edit: I'm sloooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

Opiate

kenta said:
The use of the word "eliminates" in the thread title seems a little sensationalistic. Its accuracy is debatable but it seems desparate

It is absolutely appropriate: the Games division has been completely eliminated. Just in case someone did make a mistake, I bolded a complete explanation in the first sentence of my post just to make sure people understood.

Vinci said:
I'm sure Sony knows.

My statement was aimed at Sony legally muddying the waters for investors/shareholders and media outlets that reacts to bad Playstation news.

xbhaskarx

The company said today it will combine its VAIO personal- computer, Walkman and Sony Computer Entertainment game businesses in the newly formed Networked Products & Services Group to focus on creating gadgets that can work with each other and connect to the Internet. Kazuo Hirai, 48, who’s in charge of the game business, will head the new division.

Will Kaz also provide hilarious p.r. spin for VAIO and Walkman sales numbers?

Forsete

Gold Member
twinturbo2 said:
What's surprising is that Sony's still making Walkman players. THAT should be the news.

Not really. The new models no longer require specific software (SonicStage) and are amongst the best on the market.

Top Bottom