• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tekken |OT2| Pulse of the Regionally Discriminated Knuckleheads

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraeon

Interestingly I played Grayfox the other day. It's an interesting contrast to Sasuke's playstyle. Where Sasuke respects my characters to his detriment, Grayfox goes ham and gets tagged by counter-hit launchers because he's hitting buttons when I'm plus. When I caught on, I essentially just did moves with Lili that got me plus on block and got launchers that way.

m0t0k1

This is live right now?

Think so.

From iplaywinner:
Tekken Crash will be returning on July 5 with Tekken 7 at the helm. Located at Seoul's Nexon Arena, South Korea's SPOTV Games is collaborating with Twitch to stream the whole season on the popular platform. July 5 will act as a preliminary qualifier while the full season will air from July 19 to Sept. 6 with live broadcasts every Sunday at 7:00 p.m. KST (3:00 a.m. PST/6:00 a.m. EST). Stay tuned for more information on the Twitch channel.

Pachimari

Yeah, I noticed brought out his chainsaws, seemed accidentally.

I liked the team in black shirts, who were they? They had the most beautiful girl, AND Jose and Law. My main and secondary.

m0t0k1

Yeah, I noticed brought out his chainsaws, seemed accidentally.

I liked the team in black shirts, who were they? They had the most beautiful girl, AND Jose and Law. My main and secondary.

I can't read korean sadly so i mostly missed the team names or the names i was really dependent on the commentary so cant really help you with that sorry. Alisa and Ling are my mains. But also play a bit of Jin but still not very good at this game though. The girls yeah i saw a lot of Kreygasms pas by in the chat :p Law is also very good in this game from what i saw. Here and at evo. Shaheen seems also like on of the top characters i think. But i am just a beginner there are probably people who can give a more expert judgement then me.

Pachimari

They were named DW-something. Would really like to know who they were.
You could say I'm also a beginner, even though I have been playing since Tekken 2.

Fraeon

The Josie player Chanel lost to was Help Me. I guess he's playing Josie since the game doesn't have Lee. And his team was called DW Superstars.

(from the little knowledge of Korean I have)

Pachimari

Thank you, I'll keep an eye on them. :)

Although I have to admit, I really hope Tekken 8 will be more like Tekken 4, and I do agree, I hope the message of NEW came across to Harada-san during that panel.

[edit] I also got a new avatar!

sasuke_91

Interestingly I played Grayfox the other day. It's an interesting contrast to Sasuke's playstyle. Where Sasuke respects my characters to his detriment, Grayfox goes ham and gets tagged by counter-hit launchers because he's hitting buttons when I'm plus. When I caught on, I essentially just did moves with Lili that got me plus on block and got launchers that way.
So combining our playstyles could be the key to beating you?^^

I didn't watch much of Top 8 yesterday. I hope they'll get uploaded soon. I did watch the Grand Finals though and it was somewhat refreshing to not see JDCR in this one :p
T7 matches sure finish fast. Most of them are done in less than 30 seconds.

Fraeon

I know it is. Watch a match of me vs Tuobbos (possibly at the next Biiruken?) and you'll notice how he dismantles me. He actively rushes me down but doesn't unnecessarily push buttons when he knows I'm at an advantage.

T7 is so much more fun to watch than TTT2. It's the speed of the matches and the damage and the fact that it's 1v1 and the hype slowdowns and the rage arts. It just adds up to make it much nicer for that.

Even if it played entirely the same i think there's a lot of value in making it nicer to watch. A bunch of people in the EVO thread were like 'omg Tekken is hype for once' too.

m0t0k1

I didn't watch much of Top 8 yesterday. I hope they'll get uploaded soon.

You can check them out here

I still prefer watching TTT2 when it comes down to it. Yeah its a bit more slow because there is more life. But seeing those combos being pulled of and really like the tag mechanics off the game and seeing that on high level is really amazing to me.

Sayah

T7 is so much more fun to watch than TTT2. It's the speed of the matches and the damage and the fact that it's 1v1 and the hype slowdowns and the rage arts. It just adds up to make it much nicer for that.

Even if it played entirely the same i think there's a lot of value in making it nicer to watch. A bunch of people in the EVO thread were like 'omg Tekken is hype for once' too.

The damage output is insane and makes the matches fly by. I was even more amazed by the spacing going on in the Saint vs. Nobi match.

And the way AO was just stepping so many of the Dragunov running 2's makes me relieved that sidestep/sidewalk is still viable. Just requires more accurate timing.

The damage output is insane and makes the matches fly by. I was even more amazed by the spacing going on in the Saint vs. Nobi match.

And the way AO was just stepping so many of the Dragunov running 2's makes me relieved that sidestep/sidewalk is still viable. Just requires more accurate timing.

Or it requires Alisa. :)

Manbig

Thank you kindly.

The cancel at the end of the 10 hit string into the b4,3 is really the only sick part of that whole thing. The juggle itself was pretty standard.

It's definitely not the damage output that is making the matches fly by. It's FAR less than tag 2 was. It's the lack of recoverable health, two health bars, and players willing to take far more chances due to the removal of most of the over the top bullshit that plagued Tag 2.

sasuke_91

I know it is. Watch a match of me vs Tuobbos (possibly at the next Biiruken?) and you'll notice how he dismantles me. He actively rushes me down but doesn't unnecessarily push buttons when he knows I'm at an advantage.

Tuobbos is a way better player than me. His Asuka annoys me (she does so in general), but his Jin is really solid. I always find myself not knowing what to do anymore because nothing works against him.
I'll try to watch the next Biiruken.

Thank you :)
Seeing AO cry like that really broke my heart. This must have been so frustrating :(

Sayah

It's definitely not the damage output that is making the matches fly by. It's FAR less than tag 2 was. It's the lack of recoverable health, two health bars, and players willing to take far more chances due to the removal of most of the over the top bullshit that plagued Tag 2.

The damage is less in Tekken 7 in the sense that Tag 2 had two lifebars and adjusted damage based on that plus had crazy netsu damage. But if you want to compare Tekken 6 to Tekken 7 (which would be a more fair comparison), Tekken 7 damage definitely feels stronger.

Or it requires Alisa. :)

Does Alisa have a wider range or something I'm not aware of?

Manbig

The damage is less in Tekken 7 in the sense that Tag 2 had two lifebars and adjusted damage based on that plus had crazy netsu damage. But if you want to compare Tekken 6 to Tekken 7 (which would be a more fair comparison), Tekken 7 damage definitely feels stronger.

Does Alisa have a wider range or something I'm not aware of?

The comparison was initially made to Tekken Tag 2, which is why I brought it up. You can't just look at raw damage output in this situation really. You have to look at how the players react to the damage. In Tag 2, just about every single launch into TA meant at least half life off of your point character no matter which launcher connected. The mental effect of that means players were a lot less willing to take big chances, which mean huge lulls in the action in high level play.

In Tekken 7, much like it in DR, you don't see half life juggles unless it's one of the big launchers into a full wall carry + wall combo. Sure, you might get an outlier like Hwo's armor move on CH, but you're generally not going to see anywhere near that much damage if something like a d/f2, or a hopkick connect, unless maybe you get a floor break + full wall combo. This is actually a great middle ground between DR and Tekken 6 damage.

Last note, Alisa and Lili still have above average sidesteps. I'm sure more characters do too, but that will need some legitimate training mode time to find out.

Sayah

The comparison was initially made to Tekken Tag 2, which is why I brought it up. You can't just look at raw damage output in this situation really. You have to look at how the players react to the damage. In Tag 2, just about every single launch into TA meant at least half life off of your point character no matter which launcher connected. The mental effect of that means players were a lot less willing to take big chances, which mean huge lulls in the action in high level play.

In Tekken 7, much like it in DR, you don't see half life juggles unless it's one of the big launchers into a full wall carry + wall combo. Sure, you might get an outlier like Hwo's armor move on CH, but you're generally not going to see anywhere near that much damage if something like a d/f2, or a hopkick connect, unless maybe you get a floor break + full wall combo. This is actually a great middle ground between DR and Tekken 6 damage.

Last note, Alisa and Lili still have above average sidesteps. I'm sure more characters do too, but that will need some legitimate training mode time to find out.

I wasn't making a direct comparison with TTT2. It's very clear TTT2 damage is greater because they're two life bars and matches would take forever if the damage wasn't that good.

I think Squirrel was making that comparison and he also wouldn't be wrong if you compare Tekken 7 to 1v1 TTT2 (which also again would be a more fair comparison). For example if you look at Alisa's f,f 4, qcf+1, the damage it does in Tekken 7 is higher compared to T6 or 1v1 TTT. A lot of other individual moves and pokes similarly seem to have a significant damage boost. Of course everything starts scaling in the actual combos so that's besides the point.

Also didn't know Alisa had such a good sidestep. Interesting.

Manbig

I wasn't making a direct comparison with TTT2. It's very clear TTT2 damage is greater because they're two life bars and matches would take forever if the damage wasn't that good.

I think Squirrel was making that comparison and he also wouldn't be wrong if you compare Tekken 7 to 1v1 TTT2 (which also again would be a more fair comparison). For example if you look at Alisa's f,f 4, qcf+1, the damage it does in Tekken 7 is higher compared to T6 or 1v1 TTT. A lot of other individual moves and pokes similarly seem to have a significant damage boost. Of course everything starts scaling in the actual combos so that's besides the point.

Also didn't know Alisa had such a good sidestep. Interesting.

Yes, Squirrel did make the comparison, which is why I said the initial comparison. :p

1v1 TTT2 is not a comparison worth making as the whole conversation is in regards to watching tournament play.

A lot of high damage moves in Tag 2 do significantly less in Tekken 7. Sure, there's still a few stragglers here and there, but overall, damage is MUCH lower.

Well, i look at it in the sense that you have two lifebars to go through with some regeneration too in TTT2. So a combo does, what, 25% of the total? Yes, i realize there's an early exit point since there's always some, and sometimes a lot of, life left when it ends.

But damage seems like more than that in T7. Especially once the walls and floorbreaks get involved. I don't mean 'damage on one character', that's obviously less in general. Just that you need to hit them less in total to end a round.

Looks like that anyway. I'll take 'no one is playing defensive because they don't need to fear dying in two juggles' as an explanation too, ha ha.

Manbig

Well, i look at it in the sense that you have two lifebars to go through with some regeneration too in TTT2. So a combo does, what, 25% of the total? Yes, i realize there's an early exit point since there's always some, and sometimes a lot of, life left when it ends.

But damage seems like more than that in T7. Especially once the walls and floorbreaks get involved. I don't mean 'damage on one character', that's obviously less in general. Just that you need to hit them less in total to end a round.

Looks like that anyway. I'll take 'no one is playing defensive because they don't need to fear dying in two juggles' as an explanation too, ha ha.

It is a bit weird to see coming right off of Tag 2 sure, but Tekken has always been a high damage game. The things that I look at to make the lower damage claim are moves like Dragunov's d2. In Tag 2, it took around 8 of those on normal hit to kill off one life bar. Now you need something like 15 of them. Even the treatment (b4,2,1) needs to connect about 4 times to kill off a character. Two of those used to leave a character at jab punish health.

Sayah

Played a whole lot of Tekken 7 today. Here is what I have to say.

#1: Most Important: I have said this before that no one should make a decision about not liking a game or hating on it before actually playing it. The moment Tekken 7 was announced, a lot of people had already made the decision to not buy. Overtime, others from here have similarly made that decision for varying reasons.

I can tell you one thing. It's that Tekken 7 is FUN. It's very fun. And if you've already made the decision to ignore this franchise, then it's going to be your loss, no one else's. Especially as a Tekken fan, it's not a game to be missed out on. Once you play it and see it all in action in front of your eyes, it's hard to hate on it.

#2: Visuals: Game is truly stunning to look at. As ZTS mentioned, every few minutes there were new people coming to spectate matches and seemed impressed from what I could tell. Game is definitely a looker. But with that said, there are definitely some issues that they need to resolve. Katrina's hair, for example, clips like crazy. Some of the character models could definitely use some improvements. Stages are largely flawless though.

#3: Hit effects: Already apparent from YouTube videos but no game comes even close to Tekken 7 with hit effects. So many sparks and the closeup of the camera during certain attacks helps to add to the awesomeness. It's amazing to see the whole screen light up with all these particles.

#4: Sound: I don't know if it was the speakers of the arcade cabinets but the sounds generated from hits were really amazing to hear. If you thought attacks sounded meaty in YouTube videos, wait till you hear it in person. But if it was just the magic of the arcade cabinet speakers, then I'm definitely getting a sound bar just for this game. It's all so satisfying to hear. I don't even want to talk about background music. The hit sounds are the real music to your ears.

#5: Lag: There were definitely some noticeable instances of offline in-game lag. Hoping they fix this by console launch.

#6: Characters: For new characters, I mainly focused on Katarina and Claudio since they interest me most. Sorry Chloe, Gigas, Josie, Kazumi, and Shaheen. Playing all of them at once would have been too much for me. Katarina and Claudio are both extremely fun to play with and very easy to pick up. I would definitely recommend either one of them to people new to Tekken. Katarinas knee and Claudio's running punch are even more vicious-looking in person and so satisfying to land. For returning characters, I picked Lili, Dragunov, Ling, and Yoshi. Also fun.

#7: Mechanics/Controls: As some of you might know already, I'm not at all experienced with stick so I wasn't able to make proper movement, messed up a lot of commands, and dropped a lot of combos.

Sidestep/sidewalk/backdash: Cant say much since i was jumping half the time while trying to sidestep. :lol

Ragearts: These can produce some really hype moments both when they land and when they don't. For example, there was a moment when Dragunov did his rage art and I pressed 3+4 with Lili. Lili jumped over the attack and did her head step kick winning me the round.

Power Crush: These can also produce really hype moments (again both when they land and when they fail). There was a point when one Dragunov did a three hit string that led to a KO while a power crush was going on. Didn't even give the power crush a chance to finish. lol.

#8: Features: Slowdown is one of the best things to happen to fighting games. Really great for those ending clutch moments.

#9: Players: There were around 7 people there when I first got there but people later dispersed and more came and went. Only person I recognized was nycfab because he was my very first opponent in Apex pools. Haha. He was mostly playing Steve. I guess that's his replacement character for Miguel. He's a nice guy. The other players there were nice too.

Once you actually play the game, you just forget about all the negatives. It's really truly a fun Tekken game and shouldn't be missed by any Tekken fan and, more broadly, by any fighting game fan. I really loved what I played.

The greatest moment was when there was a whole family of like 7 people standing behind me cheering on their family member who was most just mashing buttons with law and doing cool stuff. I let him get 2 rounds. Each time he won, his family roared and cheered. It was great.

Despite my terrible play on stick, I was still able to maintain some composure at least.

Dereck

About a year ago I decided that I wanted to quit ranked, I got back on the horse today because I was bored, and through no difficulty, I got to 14 dan.

That's cool.

Manbig

Glad you enjoyed it Sayah.

I agree about the slow mo. It is easily the most defining thing about this game so far. I hope it stays unique to Tekken, because every other fighting game doing this would make it get old pretty quick, but it is easily my favorite new mechanic.

Sayah

Glad you enjoyed it Sayah.

I agree about the slow mo. It is easily the most defining thing about this game so far. I hope it stays unique to Tekken, because every other fighting game doing this would make it get old pretty quick, but it is easily my favorite new mechanic.

Yep, slow mo is definitely the most defining thing. Were you there today? I don't even know what you look like so I don't know if I ran into you or not.

Edit: My memory is also kind of fuzzy. I get the feeling you had an avatar before. Not sure if that was you or somebody else.

About a year ago I decided that I wanted to quit ranked, I got back on the horse today because I was bored, and through no difficulty, I got to 14 dan.

That's cool.
That always happens. Sometimes, you just need a break.
I had decided to quit TTT2 altogether many months ago. I was back playing the game some months later. I thought Sm4sh would make me busy but this game is hard to let go.

Manbig

Yep, slow mo is definitely the most defining thing. Were you there today? I don't even know what you look like so I don't know if I ran into you or not.

Edit: My memory is also kind of fuzzy. I get the feeling you had an avatar before. Not sure if that was you or somebody else.

Nah I wasn't there. You would have remembered it if you saw me. I tend to stick out in crowds.

Here's my most recent pic that I took after being rained on.

LdgPg7A.jpg

Yes my face was my avatar a while back.

DEATH™

Nah I wasn't there. You would have remembered it if you saw me. I tend to stick out in crowds.

Off Topic but have you attempted a classic standing dropkick on your wrestling days?

Sayah

Nice!

I'll know you if I see you some time. :p

m0t0k1

lol, im@s costumes for T7? I don't hate it~

Kazumi should have gotten Takane though.

It was kind of be expected. There have been some references in Im@s with tekken events in them. Harada, Kuma, and mokujin has made a cameo on the cards lol.
And since im@s appearing in every namco game recently it was only natural for it to appear in tekken as well. I would have chosen different outfits though. the only my note outfits are a bit bland for a fighting game. But i am happy with the nod.

Numb

Thanks for the impressions. I always suck terribly when i try to use stick on Tekken but your calmness from years of play is still there and it helps as you said.At this point i just need to get the game on my hands.

That's cool.
Played some ranked a while back but it seems as though at this point that Tekken is a game i exclusively play sessions with friends or some random player matches.

Looking pretty cool man. Here is a pic that i posted in the recent pic thread.

I got the ring in stockholm a few years back solely cos it looked like Jin's tattoo
Makes me feel like a nerd now that i think about it.

sasuke_91

DEATH™;172415342 said:

This is just... I don't even....
Nah, I expected something like that. Not even surprised.

I really really want to play this game. Everyone (except JDCR :p) sounds really impressed and positive about T7.

That's cool.

I don't even try ranking Hwo/Steve up anymore. I know I'll get demoted. I don't get higher than 11th Dan with anyone else either, although everybody hates Ling^^
Congrats on your promo.

Kazumi should have gotten Takane though.

No. I don't even know who that is, but... no!

Looking pretty cool man. Here is a pic that i posted in the recent pic thread.

I got the ring in stockholm a few years back solely cos it looked like Jin's tattoo
Makes me feel like a nerd now that i think about it.

Looking good bro :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom