• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

XCOM: Enemy Unknown Plus (Vita) Out Now in Europe

barit

Damn I need this on my Vita asap but don't have the money currently. Nice that it's finally out nevertheless.

This picture was taken from the publishers office as they launched the game:

bigstock_Kicked_Out_The_Door_8708500.jpg

Seems fine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31tsHfaz_Pg

The expected jagginess and load times, but we'll have to wait to find out if there's any crashes or problems.

That's grim...for reference, here's the game running on an old 2012 iPhone 5, the oldest model supported. The depth of field effect didn't even make it into that cutscene. Both versions feature the same lighting which makes sense since the iPhone 5 (and 4s) share the same GPU architecture: https://youtu.be/S0MvmvCH00U?t=101

1.5 millions is still too low, vita has a very high attach rate but that doesn't mean that every one buy a copy of a game, you should always consider that only 1 person over 10/20/30/100/whatever (depending on the game's name, appeal and many other things) buy a copy of a game, include porting/localizations efforts/time/costs, various rating and certifications(that you pay, are expensive and different in many countries of Europe) and so on, is a market of just 1.5 millions of people worth all of this? Imo not.

Many Vita owners use to underestimate themselves and vita imo.

Vita LTD in Japan is about 5 million - leaving 5 million for the west.

So I think my estimate 30% of Vita owners from launch day still actually regularly playing the system is actually very generous when you consider where the system even is on the western market nowadays, and the sort of publisher support that exists today - it's very much focused on a smaller market segment than 2012-2013. There's a reason why bigger publishers with larger overhead (hello, Square Enix!) cannot justify releasing stuff like I am Setsuna and Adventures of Mana on Vita. Also, I never said nor inferred that everyone buys a copy of a game.

Anecdotally, while I still use my Vita the majority of people who I know that bought one have moved on to other formats.

Glix

So I think my estimate 30% of Vita owners from launch day still actually regularly playing the system is actually very generous when you consider where the system even is on the western market nowadays, and the sort of publisher support that exists today - it's very much focused on a smaller market segment than 2012-2013. There's a reason why bigger publishers with larger overhead (hello, Square Enix!) cannot justify releasing stuff like I am Setsuna and Adventures of Mana on Vita. Also, I never said nor inferred that everyone buys a copy of a game.

Anecdotally, while I still use my Vita the majority of people who I know that bought one have moved on to other formats.

Totally the opposite here. I know scant few prople that have one but all that do love it and use it.

HotHamBoy

I guess I don't need this since I have EW on my PS3 & iPad, but for some reason I feel strongly compelled to get this anyway. I've been wanting it on Vita for along time, seems like a perfect fit. Really rounds out the library.

Fisty

Ok guys I just bought this at full price on US PSN, so it should be free with PS+ in a few weeks. You're welcome.

God this port's miserable. I'm playing with Ironman on and the 2-3 second interruptions between turns because the game can't handle saving in the background is irritating. The occasional microstuttering is grating as well. Visually it's not bad - stuttering aside I'm surprised it holds the framerate as smoothly as it does. Some effects look like ass. For example, the fire coming out of the troop deployment vessel - but it's nothing that unexpected I guess.

The most damning though is the base screen. Any input takes a little over a second to actually register and be performed. It was worse during the tutorial segment, lasting a few seconds sometimes. I'm genuinely shocked the game hasn't just crashed yet. All of these things sound small but it really adds up to an annoying product. I noticed a bit of this lag in missions as well, but it's not nearly as bad.

Oh, and the load times are bad. 20-30 seconds before and after missions and the like.

Nothing about this feels finished or polished in the slightest, which I guess explains the sudden release. I'm torn between being impressed that they got this going at all and wanting a refund because it's so painfully half-assed.

Edit: Forgot to mention that yes, as that one video stated, some audio effects only play through the right channel. Audio effects like the footsteps you hear constantly in the game.

Fisty

God this port's miserable. I'm playing with Ironman on and the 2-3 second interruptions between turns because the game can't handle saving in the background is irritating. The occasional microstuttering is grating as well. Visually it's not bad - stuttering aside I'm surprised it holds the framerate as smoothly as it does. Some effects look like ass. For example, the fire coming out of the troop deployment vessel - but it's nothing that unexpected I guess.

The most damning though is the base screen. Any input takes a little over a second to actually register and be performed. It was worse during the tutorial segment, lasting a few seconds sometimes. I'm genuinely shocked the game hasn't just crashed yet. All of these things sound small but it really adds up to an annoying product. I noticed a bit of this lag in missions as well, but it's not nearly as bad.

Oh, and the load times are bad. 20-30 seconds before and after missions and the like.

Nothing about this feels finished or polished in the slightest, which I guess explains the sudden release. I'm torn between being impressed that they got this going at all and wanting a refund because it's so painfully half-assed.

Edit: Forgot to mention that yes, as that one video stated, some audio effects only play through the right channel. Audio effects like the footsteps you hear constantly in the game.

Eh I'll probably be alright with it. I enjoyed Legends of War: Patton, and Im gonna assume this probably runs better. Hopefully we'll get a patch to clean it up a little
yeah right

Meneses

Yeah, the base screen is quite bad.

During fights it's not that bad but there's still some chugging and hitching, and yes, that Ironman save thing is awful. Triggering alien groups can be rough at times.

Another annoying thing is that often times the transparency effect from the walls doesn't get reverted, so you end up looking at an open space that you don't really know if it's there or not - only if you bring your cursor next to it and see if the Cover icon shows up.

I also had my first major bug where one soldier got stuck on a bench and couldn't move (i could still perform other actions).

Generally, I think most impressions will depend on the degree of tolerance people have for this kind of stuff.

All things considered, it's still decently playable and i'm loving the ability to play this in bed on my Vita, but I can't really recommend it to people who are very sensitive to performance issues.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Miserable is a bit hyperbolic.

No, it doesn't run as well as the PC or OS3 versions (the only versions I played), but it seems to have solid performance. That is to say, the frame rate stuttering isn't too bothersome.

Visually, it looks better than I thought it would, but obviously, some of the detail in textures and character models is reduced.

Load times are lengthy, between 20-30 seconds. Input lag didn't seem too severe. It helps that it's an Strategy game, so some stuttering is at least not as bad as it'd be in a game where you need twitch reflexes.

There's some delay in the base menus, but it only seems to be a second or two at most. It's not an ideal situation, honestly.

I'm surprised that this port is looking and running as well as it is. I think it could have been better, but I'm very impressed, and I'm enjoying it.

I never beat it on PC or PS3, mainly because of my limited gaming time at home, but being able to play it on the bus to and from work is worth some technical hiccups. I'm not a fan of mobile gaming, so I wasn't going to play it on my phone.

For $20 (USD), I feel the game is solid. I don't regret my purchase.

I feel like I should also note that frame rate and technical issues like are present in this port are t terribly problematic for me. I have a pretty awesome gaming PC I built, but unless a game is a terrible mess (say, Arkham Knight PC version), it doesn't bother me too much.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood

"where the system even is on the western market nowadays"
Where the system is on the western market nowadays? Sony doesn't publish sales data because they are low and the less they talk about vita the better but you don't have to infer that the entire world is like USA, IIRC the few times we got somehow some European data they were decent(less than other consoles obviously but not dead).

Square Enix is a world apart, we(me included) made everything to get Type 0 and they gave us a home console version, FFX-X2 for vita and ps3 sold well but there's still no sign of FFXII(and if it will made it will probably be ps4 only), they don't localize mobile-level games etc but they are also making world of final fantasy, dragon quest builders, dq heroes 2, saga scarlet grace(vita exclusive) and at least some of them will be localized for sure, Square is rather random.

The talk about how many people buy a copy of a game was to make you understand that the actual audience of a game is a lot smaller than the total userbase, let's say that among 1.5 millions people for a certain game there are 100k potential buyers(and i'm generous), that doesn't mean that the game will sell 100k, some of those people for some random reason don't like the game, others for some reason can't buy the game, some others won't buy it because have other priorities, others will buy it when cheaper... we arrive at very very few people buying a game, and that's when a game is good! If a game is not that good is even worse. Publishers take into account all these things, if a game is ported or localized is not for benefaction, they expect to make some money.

If it was like you said do you think that for some very low sales in the entire western market it would be worth to waste time and money to port or localize, pay all the fees and do all the bureaucracy(unlike USA in Europe many countries have their own language, fees, rating, laws etc so it's a really pain in the ...) etc?

The talk about how many people buy a copy of a game was to make you understand that the actual audience of a game is a lot smaller than the total userbase, let's say that among 1.5 millions people for a certain game there are 100k potential buyers(and i'm generous), that doesn't mean that the game will sell 100k, some of those people for some random reason don't like the game, others for some reason can't buy the game, some others won't buy it because have other priorities, others will buy it when cheaper... we arrive at very very few people buying a game, and that's when a game is good! If a game is not that good is even worse. Publishers take into account all these things, if a game is ported or localized is not for benefaction, they expect to make some money.

I perfectly understand that actually (I'm sure my posting history reflects this), but that was never part of my argument.

I'm saying 30% of all western Vita hardware sold to date is still in active use, and that figure is more determined by whether new game releases are compelling enough to enough Vita owners to date (something tells me they aren't) in the west, or whether competing and complementary platforms (particularly PC and PS4, maybe also 3DS) have stolen owners' attention away from the format.

So I maintain that my estimate of 1.5 million active when also considering a large portion of it is a highly focused audience that buys many games, is more than enough to sustain the sort of releases Vita is getting, from games like Trails of Cold Steel living off ~20k sales on the format, or an indie game to be downloaded via cross-buy with a PS4/Vita owner, or a Plus subscriber to look into a particular game a few hundred thousand times.

Heck, a wider active install base would do little to change how sales proliferate from an active install base into smaller groups and smaller groups based on more factors, since Vita's software lineup isn't going to appeal to a wider audience than it already has -- which is the base starting point.

Increase the number of active users to 2.5 million and you might be getting the 1 million people who bought the system on the promise of AAA gaming on the go. They aren't going to be buying Trillion: God of Destructive next month, that much I assure you, this port of X-Com isn't going to be an easy sell either given how late and cut back it is.

Anyway, I'm leaving it there. I get where you're coming from, but I disagree that it justifies a higher active install base in the west, which is a point I made pertaining to X-Com in the first place - a poster suggested it could sell 500k on Vita. I used the main starting point - active install base - to say that won't happen.

In a way, your point complements my argument - that active install base is only a starting point, and it gets broken down into groups depending on games and other factors.Ultimately, though, this debate has become far removed from what it was meant to be.

Takao

Banned
2K Japan finally announced the game (after it came out, lol) and confirmed the inclusion of Enemy Within as well as the Elite Soldier and Second Wave DLC packs.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
It runs like hell, but I still prefer playing it on my Vita as opposed to my phone.

If it weren't turn-based, I would consider the performance unplayable. I'm willing to cut it some slack due to the slow nature of the game, though.

Meneses

2K Japan finally announced the game (after it came out, lol) and confirmed the inclusion of Enemy Within as well as the Elite Soldier and Second Wave DLC packs.

Weird, Elite Soldier doesn't seem to be available on the EU version (that's the one that allowed to choose different armor types and had Guile hair, right?)

Second Wave seems to be there, I get those options when I start a game.

In retrospect miserable was a bit hyperbolic, I was pretty severely disappointed in some essential components. Played more recently - few more missions in now. Visual issues with the framerate are still present, but I haven't come across anything game breaking at least. General performance has actually improved a solid amount now that all the tutorials have ended. Those really hammered the game's performance apparently. Ironman saving is still annoying and input lag is definitely there at the base, but I'm getting more use to it.

It's not an ideal port and I really feel like it could be better, but hopefully some patches come around for it.

By the way, 2K China is shown during the intro as one of the developers. Kind of curious if that's why it took so long to come out and if that would explain some of the issues.

Akoi

So what's the general consensus? Buy it or skip it?

For someone that is a xcom fan and someone that wasn't super bothered by the framerate issues in borderlands 2 (with the recent patch)

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
So what's the general consensus? Buy it or skip it?

For someone that is a xcom fan and someone that wasn't super bothered by the framerate issues in borderlands 2 (with the recent patch)

If you don't mind performance issues and REALLY want this version, $20 isn't too terrible for a very late port... I guess.

But if you have the PC/iPhone versions and can run those on a handheld, you might as well play those versions instead.

DrFurbs

I've never played an xcom game.. I think I'll wait for the inevitable price drop.

Re:performance issues. I live Borderlands on Vita... This must be a dream game in comparison lol.

So it looks like trash and runs like trash?

Shame, I like the PC game and I'd really I'd like a portable version but I dunno the concept using touch controls for this game never gelled with me so I never got the mobile version, was hoping this would be decent.

anddo0

BlueMaxima says it's a purchase
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IhWwZ0z-ilw

I'm getting it, personal reasons (free up space on my Tablet, until Sony allows adaptable storage for Marshmallow). Watching through BlueMaxima's video, there is little to no difference. The mobile version had hitch's too (and this is playing on a Sony Xperia 5 Premium). Also having played the PS3 version, the Vita port is comparable to that as well (load times are actually better on Vita).

If you don't mind performance issues and REALLY want this version, $20 isn't too terrible for a very late port... I guess.

But if you have the PC/iPhone versions and can run those on a handheld, you might as well play those versions instead.

While true.. I'd advise that people play this on a Tablet. The Android version is a battery eater. We already drain our batteries from regular use. XCOM adds that much more ware and tear to them. So keep that in mind.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
So it looks like trash and runs like trash?

Shame, I like the PC game and I'd really I'd like a portable version but I dunno the concept using touch controls for this game never gelled with me so I never got the mobile version, was hoping this would be decent.

Not even close to looking or running like trash.

The graphics look clean on the Vita screen. Better than, say, Injustice Vita, but not as clean as something like PlayStation All Stars. It's kind of like Dead Nation Vita in that regard. Obvious texture and polygonal model hits, but when viewed on a Vita screen, it looks much better.

As for performance, it generally runs well. It has some lengthy load times before and after missions (between 25-35 seconds), and the framerate while playing missions is generally solid, but stutters from time to time. It's not a slide show, that's for sure. For $20, it's well priced, but even so, it's a pretty solid port. It makes me think of the PS3 version, with scaled down graphics. It's not a Bluepoint port, but it's not Resident Evil Revelations (or whatever that game was).

Shizuka

I think some people expect way too much from a late Vita port. If I had nothing to play this week, I'd have bought this in an instant.

nick_b

Downloading now. Held off until more impressions and videos were posted. Looks good. Will post back after playing a bit.

*update

Have played for an hour or so. I've completed 3 or 4 missions and I think the game is really good. Watching videos in 1080p on youtube really make the textures seem problematic but when actually playing I hardly noticed. (though I do play fully zoomed out for the most part) When you are playing you don't even notice the graphics apart from the ugly aforementioned wall bug which is hopefully fixed soon. When you are immersed in xcom you are immersed in xcom. Everything else is there from what I've seen. Haven't played the expansion before but have played the main game on pc. In total I'd recommend it. $20 seems like a decent price for a goty xcom port. Especially since I just got my tax return.

Corto

I'm weak... I caved in. And I'm actually enjoying it. Is what I was expecting in terms of performance and IQ. But it's Xcom on the go! I played the game on my laptop Mac so I was already inclined to accept some performance annoyances, but so far those are not critical enough to deter me to enjoy the game.

Personally, I've found the moaning and groaning of performance issues and ugly textures to be a bit exaggerated.

Maybe it's because I have played Borderlands 2 on my Vita and know what to expect from full console releases on the Vita. Maybe because I never played the console/PC/mobile version of the game.

But I had a good time with the few missions I played last night. The tutorial is the worst-performing part...but really, this is a turn-based game, it can have frame dips and relative chugginess.

I enjoyed it quite a bit and can't wait to play more. Thumbs up here!

Top Bottom