• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nioh Thread: Defy Death

cheesekao

Yes that mission isn't in this demo.

Nue is not present in the Beta no. He might still be in the final game though. Probably.
Instead we get a tengu girl. Though now this begs the question of why they didn't just take this opportunity to use DOA's Nyotengu as a cameo crossover instead.
Ah, that's a bit of a disappointment but with a new level and more content, I can't really complain.

Amirnol

This beta is pretty damn hard! I don't really enjoy inventory management, too many item drops I think, for my preference. Otherwise looking forward to final release!

Pejo

Gold Member
First boss down! Took a long ass time, but I finally got when to dodge in which direction. Really like the difficulty curve of this game.

Went into the sub-mission and got owned by the
two ninjas
so i left that stage and tried mission 2, got owned there a few times but I need a bit of a break anyways.

I think it's pretty realistic that I'll get the second mark before the beta is done.

I really like this game a lot. Need to branch out on weapons next, I've been sticking pretty much only to mid/low stance spears, with the occasional 1HKO with a bow headshot.

Zambatoh

Hate the game again...Camera is so fucking bad...
Conversely I think it's their best camera yet. Compared to the Ninja Gaiden series, this camera is a godsend.

This beta is pretty damn hard! I don't really enjoy inventory management, too many item drops I think, for my preference. Otherwise looking forward to final release!

Oh man! You would've hated the Alpha then. :D
They actually toned it down in this version.

Nue is not present in the Beta no. He might still be in the final game though. Probably.
Instead we get a tengu girl. Though now this begs the question of why they didn't just take this opportunity to use DOA's Nyotengu as a cameo crossover instead.

Feedback it for the final release XD

Traxtech

I wish it was harder tbh but that's just me I guess, I'm burning I didn't get to play the first demo. I think I've 100% this one

Sayad

Conversely I think it's their best camera yet. Compared to the Ninja Gaiden series, this camera is a godsend.
I disagree, in a level like the first one, the camera is fine and better than TN's previous efforts, but in the caves where you could fall to your death, it's more of an annoyance than in any Ninja Gaiden game.

Trace

Banned
I disagree, in a level like the first one, the camera is fine and better than TN's previous efforts, but in the caves where you could fall to your death, it's more of an annoyance than in any Ninja Gaiden game.

I'm assuming you quoted the wrong post?

ShinMaruku

Ok I had ample time with the Beta and I must say I love the dual katanas as their style of combat is quick and deadly when you master ki pulse and the special attacks just basically seem to be for youkai and revanants. I need to get down the tempo of the attacks and really get into doing decent combos rather than chipping away at them.

At first I was miffed at the different way they did the ranged combat, but when I got used to using the different ammo and getting criticals and head shots and the secondary effects, I am pleased by the change.

The little story beats is really intresting for me because this is kinda like their Samurai Warriors games where you have the likes of Hanzo Hattori and Ginchiyo Tachibana as people who interact with William, with Hanzo knowing English and Ginchiyo finding ways to communicate with William. I also like the little sidhe subtext with the spirit animals and how you return from death.

I hope everybody tests as much as possible and hands feedback because Team Ninja is one of the few developers who do indeed listen and if you can talk to them at events they can event go through the changes with you. Use this opportunity to give some infromation.

The testing of alphas and beta is a trademark of Hayashi from where he took over from Itagaki, he makes he team look at suggestions within reason.

I'm saying that the devs took away that for a reason.
The devs could've done a better job rebalancing it. Removing it entirely is such a cop-out.

Unlike the durability system, low stance Ki Pulse dodging was a tactile feature that required a level of finesse to consciously pull off and it was fun in a 'natural' way; design it properly if it was indeed an oversight that fans incidentally latched onto! Tweak the damage / stamina drain numbers. Implement a diminishing returns system if it's done in quick succession within a given timespan to avoid potential abuse cases. Make it so that it's only possible with perfect Ki Pulses, thus demanding higher precision. Force it so it can only be executed at the fastest agility rank, creating a risk-reward dynamic. Require swapping to or hitting with the different stances in between the low stance combos. There could be numerous other ways to make it even more engaging of a mechanic, yet instead Team Ninja disappointingly opted for the path of least resistance with the beta build by not expanding a gratifying, genuinely enjoyable gameplay hook not seen in competing titles.

If it's game breaking, it is bad. Cool as hell to watch though.
It is when it trivializes the whole game.
For example, in the original OG Xbox release of Ninja Gaiden, the flying swallow move was so ridiculously effective that they actually had to "fix" it in the later re-releases and the sequels.
The same thing basically happened here with Low Ki Dodging. It was just too damn effective even at low level play. The low stance often ended up being a much greater force to be reckoned with as a result.
It was certainly overpowered, but not gamebreaking though. The comparison with Flying Swallow also doesn't hold up, since they rebalanced that move (and select enemies with new counter-attacks!) rather than ripping it out, nor did low stance Ki Pulse dodging merely require two buttons to make efficient use of it across the board.

Played up to the first boss yesterday, surprisingly fun game. Love the aesthetics, combat feels solid for the most part. I still need to get used to actually using Ki Pulse though, because of the gameplay I'm still stuck in the Souls mindset and that doesn't really work out too well here.

Don't really like the item clutter though, and dodge feels rather weak compared to just blocking since you can't dodge out of your recovery animation.

Technically they didn't remove dodge pulse, they just switch it with High stance.

High stance has the dodge pulse, Low stance has the Ki pulse from triangle combo

Technically they didn't remove dodge pulse, they just switch it with High stance.

High stance has the dodge pulse, Low stance has the Ki pulse from triangle combo
Aside from it being a non-sensical quirk for the high stance, it's not remotely comparable with how dodge rolls do not allow for a similarly offensive playstyle in the slightest.

Aside from it being a non-sensical quirk for the high stance, it's not remotely comparable with how dodge rolls do not allow for a similarly offensive playstyle in the slightest.

I can see why they would put it in high stance though, since that move set consume the most Ki and logically would then require the means to compensate for it.

Trace

Banned
I can see why they would put it in high stance though, since that move set consume the most Ki and logically would then require the means to compensate for it.

I think my issue with it after playing with for enough hours is that you don't really feel like you have a reason to dodge if you're using high stance. If I was in a fight where dodging was important I'd probably be using mid stance.

Trace

Banned
Tried all three options. None of them are smooth. Even the 30fps lock mode suffers from severe slowdown. It just feels jerky all around.

Weird. Aside from Twilight missions with several demons + particles on my blade I haven't had that much in the way of slowdown on action mode. Feels pretty smooth to me.

BlondeTuna

They definitely toned the difficulty down. I think it's the amount of damage the enemies do compared to the Alpha.

Dual swords all the way!

Zocano

I don't like the change to how strong guarding is now. I think it's weirdly at odds with the pace and speed of combat. Like once you realize you can pretty much every boss move, it all just becomes really trivialized. I thought the previous system was better. You *could* block but stronger attacks still ate away at your health. More focus on general avoidance. I think in turn the parry is waaaaaaaaaaay too stiff as well.

Trace

Banned
I don't like the change to how strong guarding is now. I think it's weirdly at odds with the pace and speed of combat. Like once you realize you can pretty much every boss move, it all just becomes really trivialized. I thought the previous system was better. You *could* block but stronger attacks still ate away at your health. More focus on general avoidance. I think in turn the parry is waaaaaaaaaaay too stiff as well.

I legitimately have not blocked once yet.

I should start doing that.

Too used to Bloodborne I guess.

Blocking still eats a ton of stamina, if they whack you while your ki is in the red zone, you'll still be place in an exhausted state.

And I'm sure blocking in this game has always been 100%, maybe you're thinking of elemental damage?

Im noob, how can you backstab when you are behind an ennemy when he don't see you?

There isn't a special animation Attack.

Zocano

Blocking still eats a ton of stamina, if they whack you while your ki is in the red zone, you'll still be place in an exhausted state.

And I'm sure blocking in this game has always been 100%, maybe you're thinking of elemental damage?

It *could* have been that but I am doubtful. I just know blocking was nearly useless in the alpha and now I can tank so much in the beta, it's kind of demoralizing.

It *could* have been that but I am doubtful. I just know blocking was nearly useless in the alpha and now I can tank so much in the beta, it's kind of demoralizing.

I don't know what to tell you, I played through the Alpha as well and as far as I could tell nothing was changed.

I wouldn't have a problem with the first boss if I could just 'tank through everything', and certainly a lot of people would have mentioned it as well.

Heck I just came from a gamefaqs thread about someone complaining how some enemies can knock your stamina down to zero in one hit even if you're blocking. So there's a lot of weird impressions going around.

Zocano

I wouldn't have a problem with the first boss if I could just 'tank through everything', and certainly a lot of people would have mentioned it as well.

Heck I just came from a gamefaqs thread about someone complaining how some enemies can knock your stamina down to zero in one hit even if you're blocking. So there's a lot of weird impressions going around.

Dunno. I mean obviously you can't stand there and hold guard but you can tank a hit that you know is coming and be pretty much unscratched in all encounters coupled with knowing which moves are safer to dodge.

Though it *cooould* be because I just dump all my points into heart first since katanas scale the best with them and I end up with a shit ton of Ki.

Regardless of that, though, I think it's just too strong, still? I wish the parry was less stiff garbage.

Trace

Banned
Dunno. I mean obviously you can't stand there and hold guard but you can tank a hit that you know is coming and be pretty much unscratched in all encounters coupled with knowing which moves are safer to dodge.

Though it *cooould* be because I just dump all my points into heart first since katanas scale the best with them and I end up with a shit ton of Ki.

Regardless of that, though, I think it's just too strong, still? I wish the parry was less stiff garbage.

I haven't tried parrying many of the enemies since I just started trying blocking, but against the level 40 revenants just in like 10 minutes of practice I could parry them pretty constantly. Also the parry + backstab + stamina crit is like 50%+ of revenant's health, it's nuts.

Zocano

...That doesn't sound like anything broken at all.

It is so trivializing that it feels broken. Kinda like how parrying is in the Souls games where they don't consider designing around it and it just becomes the hyper safe and efficient way to beat everything. Second boss was trivial once I just learned I could block every combo string safely and punish without worry.

It is so trivializing that it feels broken. Kinda like how parrying is in the Souls games where they don't consider designing around it and it just becomes the hyper safe and efficient way to beat everything. Second boss was trivial once I just learned I could block every combo string safely and punish without worry.

But it's clearly not the case with a lot of people, in fact a common post here is asking advice for dealing with the two new bosses.

You don't think their first instinct was to block attacks?

Ludens

Banned
How can I find items to summon an ally on the new map?
I even restarted the map thinking I would get three again but nothing. I can't defeat the lady boss, no matter what. I can bring her to half energy but dying requires literally a second.

Zocano

But it's clearly not the case with a lot of people, in fact a common post here is asking advice for dealing with the two new bosses.

You don't think their first instinct was to block attacks?

Actually, no, with the way the game leans you towards a more avoidance and dodge oriented path. I didn't consider blocking until I just tried it out against the second boss and realized, wait a second, I can block everything. And then the boss was trivial.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Actually, no, with the way the game leans you towards a more avoidance and dodge oriented path. I didn't consider blocking until I just tried it out against the second boss and realized, wait a second, I can block everything. And then the boss was trivial.

In general the block feels strong to me but the first boss destroys your stamina if you try to block it. Didn't play the alpha or get beyond that point yet.

Top Bottom