• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII 15th Anniversary

I still prefer Nomura art. I think his work for Dissidia is amazing. The blacks are just hnggg
DissidiaSephirothCropped.jpg

XCgWy.jpg

Cloud's left arm looked kinda zombie-ish though.

Suairyu

Banned
I can't believe people like that crap.
When working to his strengths, I can think of no finer creator of 'delicate' beauty currently alive:

Not that I'm an expert on the current state of the art world, so take my adulation as that of an ignorant. What I know of art comes from how it overlaps historically with literary movements.

He also does some interesting work in what you might call the 'superflat' style:

I'm always struck by his command of colour. It's incredible.

But yes, I wouldn't call that Cloud on a bike image worthy of his usual standard.

StuBurns

Banned
The second set is pretty cool.

I'm not hot on the scrappy stuff, and something so ornate is really the antithesis of something you'd want for game character design.

Suairyu

Banned
I'm not hot on the scrappy stuff, and something so ornate is really the antithesis of something you'd want for game character design.
Well, as those pics are, yes. But you can interpret his stuff into 3D. For example, this Vampire hunter D statuette:
15136.jpg

Compare it to his original work:

You can see the style made the translation fairly well.

None of it would fit Final Fantasy VII's story and tone, though. Nomura's original designs fitted perfectly.

jaxword

I still prefer Nomura art. I think his work for Dissidia is amazing. The blacks are just hnggg
Cloud's left arm looked kinda zombie-ish though.

I actually think that's poor artwork of Cloud. The arms just seem uninspired and lack depth.

In fact a lot of Nomura's Dissidia art feels "off" a bit. I can't quite place it, but it feels lifeless at times. Terra and Bartz look dead.

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Perhaps the PSN release has its own improved emulator?

Either way, I don't really want to repurchase the game since I already own the discs (black label with "masterp ece" typo, too!).

I think the PSN versions are just images of the disc being run through the standard PS3 emulator, but I can't be sure since I'm running off the original disc. The sound effects bugged me enough to pull out my old Slim PS2 to start a new game. Just met up with Aerith <3

Is he responsible for the switch of Tina's/Terra's hair from blonde to green, as well?

Could have been Hideo Minaba, as Nomura noted that Minaba was the one who ended up being credited for these designs somewhat misleadingly (perhaps due to being an art director).

Joei

Perhaps the PSN release has its own improved emulator?

Either way, I don't really want to repurchase the game since I already own the discs (black label with "masterp ece" typo, too!).

This thread has me wanting to play it again too, lol. I have my old discs and have been wondering if the PSN versions are any better quality. I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to since my discs would work fine.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Is this still a FFVII thread? >_>

I had my mind blown the other night when getting through Gaea's Cliff. I just happened to be referencing a faq at the time and discovered there's a Ribbon hidden inside an opening in the wall ya can't even really see! 15 years of thinking you can only find one Ribbon normally and had to morph enemies or randomly luck out at the battle arena to get more!

Also while checking out a speedrun of the game I noted something pretty crazy about the PC version.

"Segment 34 -

Now, in this segment, I'm supposed to get in a battle with two bombs on the bridge, and steal two Right Arms from them. However, in the PC Version, the random encounters aren't random. I always got the same battle on the bridge... So I had to figure out another way to get all 5 Right Arms quickly.

Segment 45 -

This is was the hardest segment of the run, at the time. I have to run around in the first area with the lava, because of the random encounter problem of the PC game. The second battle was always with 3 x Sneaky Steps, "

The random battles aren't random! You'll always cycle through the same groupings of enemies you'll encounter in a given area! I hereby declare the PC version sucks for this alone lol.

It suggests that her chest is the defining trait of the entire character, hence the problem. It should be an aesthetic that adds to the character instead of defining it, as it has done so without apology to Mai Shiranui, the DOA girls, and a billion other characters.

Who suggested that? Square or horny teenagers? Instead of retconning her appearance Square should get their act together and the parts of her character that matter. I guess its easier for them to simply do a redesign then to write their way outta a wet paper bag ~_~; I guess both sides are to blame!

The FF fanbase, on a whole, are incredibly dense. There are still people who think Marlene was the result of Tifa and Barret's off-screen shenanigans.

That's new to me o_O Talk about dumb!

I knew about both of those things like the first time I beat it. you could get love points if Tifa, barret, Yuffie or Aeris were in your party and didn't take the stash.

This is what I thought for all these years but according to this faq that isn't the case!

"Stealing the Phoenix Downs from the Cokatolis nest does nothing to alter
Affection values. Neither does finding it but leaving it alone, for that
matter. And no, it doesn't even matter who is in your party at the time.
Another wasted opportunity, in my opinion."

We should do one of these for every FF game (except 13 lol) where people post cool shit, cool moments, and just discuss things without bickering/arguing/etc... Though that may be impossible for the more controversial ones, but it would be nice.

Ringman

Banned
I much prefer the original artwork to the newer. Nomura has an issue with overdesigning characters.

For instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ua2LJmM6E&feature=related

Sephiroth looks ridiculous in the remake and the scene itself is badly overdesigned. It's like someone got really excited and thought "Let's give him a shit-eating smirk and make him stare down Zack to get the point across!" The changes make Sephiroth into a cliche villain which is thematically inconsistent with the rest of the scene.

It's the typical Square-Enix shove-it-down-the-player's-throat problem. There was nothing wrong with having his emotionless green eyes make contact with the "camera" for an instant as he turns. The simplicity of the original scene was more effective because the lack of expression could be attributed to his break from reality rather than "lol, evil".

I had similar issues with the ending of Crisis Core. SE doesn't seem to understand brevity and restraint. I wonder who thought "hey, players might not understand the drama unless we add heavy rain and angsty dialogue"

Lindbergh

It's the typical Square-Enix shove-it-down-the-player's-throat problem. There was nothing wrong with having his unwavering cold green eyes making contact with the "camera" for an instant as he turns. In fact, the simplicity of it was more effective because lack of an expression makes his break from reality all the more believable.

I had similar issues with the ending of Crisis Core. SE just doesn't understand brevity and restraint. I wonder who the genius was who said "hey, the players might not understand the drama unless we add rain and a bunch of cheesy handing-off-the-torch dialogue"

Your sentiments reflect those of this chap. In particular with how he prizes FFVI's scenes with their own brevity.

images

I really think this would be the best style to use for a full 3D remake. And probably a lot easier to create than the realistic AC style.

Absolutely. If they went more realistic looking like AC or the PS3 teach demo, I think the goofier moments would be weird and have to be reworked a bit. Going with the KH style would allow them to keep everything as is and not seem odd.

I just wanted to say that the post about the Cetra=black mages blew my mind apart.

Ten years later still finding stuff out about this game that I never knew.

Suairyu

Banned
I had similar issues with the ending of Crisis Core. SE just doesn't understand brevity and restraint. I wonder who the genius was who said "hey, the players might not understand the drama unless we add rain and a bunch of cheesy handing-off-the-torch dialogue"
Also sucks because that scene is meant to be Cloud's mind just utterly breaking, creating the persona we get to know in VII. So not only does the scene drag on too long, it also misses the point entirely and like everything in the Compilation cannot be counted as actual canon.

I much prefer the original artwork to the newer. Nomura has an issue with overdesigning characters.

For instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q2ua2LJmM6E&feature=related

Sephiroth looks ridiculous in the remake and the remade scene reeks of overdesign. It's like someone got really excited and thought "hey, lets give him an evil smirk and make him stare down Zack for a few seconds, that'll get the point across!" The changes make Sephiroth into an "I'm evil and I love it! muhahaha" cliche villain which is simply not the intent of the original scene.

It's the typical Square-Enix shove-it-down-the-player's-throat problem. There was nothing wrong with having his unwavering cold green eyes making contact with the "camera" for an instant as he turns. In fact, the simplicity of it was more effective because lack of an expression makes his break from reality all the more believable.

God the new version sucks so hard. Crisis Core, AC, and Dirge should have never been made. Or at least make Crisis Core with the same exact graphics and battle system as FFVII and the same prerendered backgrounds.

Suairyu

Banned
The truly annoying thing about Dirge is that despite slogging through the entire thing (it was just enjoyable enough for an afternoon's distraction because it cost me £7 used) a final story is set up for a game/movie/whatever that presumably would have taken place after all other entries in the Compilation and capped everything off.

Not that I think it would have been good, but I hate loose threads, y'know? Have to see things through. Same reason I never bailed on LOST, despite season 5 running it into the ground.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'm at the Underwater Reactor right now and having to fight these Shinra MPs is making me feel bad. These are most likely guys Cloud marched alongside. Guys Cloud saluted Rufus with. Guys who bravely defended Junon from WEAPON. It sucks having to kill 'em off. The only ones you can spare are definetely the instructor and pair Cloud "trained" with earlier on in the game. The rest however aren't so lucky.

I'm confused about FF7's ending and AC. The former takes place 500 years later. Midgar is covered by mother nature. But in AC, doesn't it take place before the "500 years later" scene? Seems like, from what I remember, AC's Midgar doesn't look as bad as it's depicted in FF7's ending.

Blablurn

hatmoza

I'm really digging this thread.

I thought I'd add more facts. Like, Jenova isn't Sephiroth's mother, Lucrecia is. Prof. Hojo is the Father. Poor Vincent!

The Albhed boy from FF X-2, is the founder of Shinra corp. For those who didn't play X-2, that boy's name was Shinra.

At the Don's mansion, you can have Cloud be the chosen 'girl' based on the actions you take prior to mansion.

hatmoza

wat wat wat
There is a scene in FF X-2 where Shinra explains to Yuna that he has discovered a new way to harvest energy from the spirits or life force (known as the life stream in 7), though it could take [x] years to achieve.

After the events of X-2, Rin funds Shinra and he successfully manages to accomplish just that. It is not until about a thousand years later, until space travel is possible and many generations after Shinra, that Shinra's technology reaches FF7's planet.

Yeah, confusing, I know.

Blablurn

There is a scene in FF X-2 where Shinra explains to Yuna that he has discovered a new way to harvest energy from the spirits or life force (known as the life stream in 7), though it could take [x] years to achieve.

After the events of X-2, Rin funds Shinra and he successfully manages to accomplish just that. It is not until about a thousand years later, until space travel is possible and many generations after Shinra, that Shinra's technology reaches FF7's planet.

Yeah, confusing, I know.

haha, i love stuff like this! thanks for the little story. pretty awesome!

Shadow780

Yeah, confusing, I know.

This is why 7 and 10 are arguably the most popular ones.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious

Yeah, confusing, I know.

^ And as I understand it.. This was confirmed in one of the Ultimanias? Probably the X-2 one.

Suairyu

Banned

Yeah, confusing, I know.
Shinra's technology doesn't reach FFVII's planet by space travel. It's just assumed FFVII takes place thousands of years into the future of X-2's world.

Nor, despite the retcon attempts, does X-2 actually work as a distant prequel to VII, as the geography and world history as explained in VII doesn't fit with X-2 at all. It just doesn't work. The creator, despite being the one who made it, is wrong. Entirely wrong. It'd be like Ridley Scott having a scene in American Gangster that talks about the discovery of an ancient city in the middle east, thus revealing it's all a prequel for Kingdom Of Heaven. Just because he said it, doesn't mean he's actually correct.

That music. Holy god. I'm so unsettled just hearing it.

I had the exact same experience, heh. FF7 is definitely one of the games I have the most visceral reactions to the soundtrack of. (Nothing will ever beat FFT for me in that department, though.)

Re: the crazy stuff... the black mage thing is definitely mind-blowing. When the rocket thing came up I was like "seriously? people didn't know that?" but then I mentioned it to my wife and she was surprised... then I realized that my senior year of college, five different people were replaying FF7 on our suite TV at the same time and I just saw both parts enough back-to-back to make the connection.

FFVII had a happy-go-lucky tone, super-deformed-anime-adventure-time!!!! tone. That's what made the scary, the oppressive, the hurtful and the depressing moments have so much impact. You couldn't do that with the AC look.

Thank you.

I actually think the KH2 designs for both Cloud and Tifa are super-great, although neither of them remotely fit for the actual FF7.

You know what really works for me during the death scene? It's how the music continues unbroken throughout the Jenova battle, the level up screen, and so on.

This works so well that FFX shamelessly reuses the technique, heh.

Amano art can be really beautiful and unic.

I also thing that the current 3D tech can't do it justice right now.

I would really, really love to see a game that actually looked like Amano's designs, but FF7 is not the game to do it with.

Shinra's technology doesn't reach FFVII's planet by space travel.

That's not what the Ultimania says!

Is this still a FFVII thread? >_>

I had my mind blown the other night when getting through Gaea's Cliff. I just happened to be referencing a faq at the time and discovered there's a Ribbon hidden inside an opening in the wall ya can't even really see! 15 years of thinking you can only find one Ribbon normally and had to morph enemies or randomly luck out at the battle arena to get more!

Also while checking out a speedrun of the game I noted something pretty crazy about the PC version.

"Segment 34 -

Now, in this segment, I'm supposed to get in a battle with two bombs on the bridge, and steal two Right Arms from them. However, in the PC Version, the random encounters aren't random. I always got the same battle on the bridge... So I had to figure out another way to get all 5 Right Arms quickly.

Segment 45 -

This is was the hardest segment of the run, at the time. I have to run around in the first area with the lava, because of the random encounter problem of the PC game. The second battle was always with 3 x Sneaky Steps, "

The random battles aren't random! You'll always cycle through the same groupings of enemies you'll encounter in a given area! I hereby declare the PC version sucks for this alone lol.

Who suggested that? Square or horny teenagers? Instead of retconning her appearance Square should get their act together and the parts of her character that matter. I guess its easier for them to simply do a redesign then to write their way outta a wet paper bag ~_~; I guess both sides are to blame!

That's new to me o_O Talk about dumb!

This is what I thought for all these years but according to this faq that isn't the case!

"Stealing the Phoenix Downs from the Cokatolis nest does nothing to alter
Affection values. Neither does finding it but leaving it alone, for that
matter. And no, it doesn't even matter who is in your party at the time.
Another wasted opportunity, in my opinion."

really, damn I guess I wasted time for nothing. oh well at least I got read all the character's reactions.

Suairyu

Banned
That's not what the Ultimania says!
BUT IT DOESN'T FUCKING FIT WITH VII ITSELF BECAUSE THEY HAD ONLY THE SMALLEST BITS OF SPACE TRAVEL AND THE ONLY - THE ONLY TIME THE PLANET HAD CONTACT WITH EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL BEINGS IT WAS JENOVA. SHINRA HAD NO EXPERIENCE OF EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL BEINGS UNTIL THEY FOUND JENOVA WHO ARE FIRST THEY EVEN THOUGHT WAS AN ANCIENT, NOT AN ALIEN.

Good fucking god I want to give the guys responsible for Ultimania a really good slap.

Clott

Shinra's technology doesn't reach FFVII's planet by space travel. It's just assumed FFVII takes place thousands of years into the future of X-2's world.

Nor, despite the retcon attempts, does X-2 actually work as a distant prequel to VII, as the geography and world history as explained in VII doesn't fit with X-2 at all. It just doesn't work. The creator, despite being the one who made it, is wrong. Entirely wrong. It'd be like Ridley Scott having a scene in American Gangster that talks about the discovery of an ancient city in the middle east, thus revealing it's all a prequel for Kingdom Of Heaven. Just because he said it, doesn't mean he's actually correct.

Yeah I agree, just sounds like reaching. The continents kinda kill that theory.

Suairyu

Banned
Yeah I agree, just sounds like reaching. The continents kinda kill that theory.
No, dude, it's okay because I've just found out it reached VII's planet because of space travel!

What's that, Mako technology was invented by the Shinra corporation, a company native to VII's planet and run entirely by humans, despite apparently only being 30 year tops after the technology was developed by the time VII starts? Sounds like Final Fantasy VII's development team never read the Ultimania!

Erigu

BUT IT DOESN'T FUCKING FIT WITH VII ITSELF BECAUSE THEY HAD ONLY THE SMALLEST BITS OF SPACE TRAVEL AND THE ONLY - THE ONLY TIME THE PLANET HAD CONTACT WITH EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL BEINGS IT WAS JENOVA. SHINRA HAD NO EXPERIENCE OF EXTRA-TERRESTRIAL BEINGS UNTIL THEY FOUND JENOVA WHO ARE FIRST THEY EVEN THOUGHT WAS AN ANCIENT, NOT AN ALIEN.
And that last part should tell you how little they know about relatively ancient events or their own origins, really.
Why couldn't they be descendants of Spiran visitors?

Heck, you could rather easily go crazy and speculate that the Cetras were mainly of Guado ancestry (hence their "connection with the planet" and the crazy hair), whereas the rest of the population descended from humans and Al Bheds (mostly Al Bhed for the blond Shinras). And the Shinras eventually (re-)discovered the Makô based on ancient documents that were in the family for generations.
Easy enough.

Good fucking god I want to give the guys responsible for Ultimania a really good slap.
That doesn't come from the guys who compiled the guide (Studio Bent Stuff), but from the scenarist.

I grew up on Nintendo and SEGA games, which had their roots in the arcades, and to this day Nintendo games still mostly ascribe to the "stages" progression model. Even games like Ocarina of Time are still essentially divided into levels.

So it's 1999, I just finished OoT for the third or fourth time, and I finally picked up FFVII based on raving recommendations from friends. I play through the opening, blow the first Mako reactor, and think, "OK, cool, I'm going to go to eight reactors, beat the bosses, and then Shinra prez will be the end boss." It was just one of those mental preparations we do. Second reactor confirmed this for me, and I was having a blast with all the stuff between reactors, like cross dressing (wtf) etc.

Then...

OMFG WTF IS GOING ON, SHINRA PREZ ALREADY DEAD THERE'S BLOOD EVERYWHERE WHAT WHAT WHAT

And then I'm escaping Midgar and what is this there's an overworld and no formal structure to the game?!

FFVII changed how I viewed games and what they could be. Can't believe it's been 15 years already.

Psxphile

^ I think something similar was said in Dirge of Cerberus regarding the airship as well?

But it doesn't gel. Are you telling me that the Shin-ra company has existed for hundreds of years? Seems a stretch alright.

B.K.

The truly annoying thing about Dirge is that despite slogging through the entire thing (it was just enjoyable enough for an afternoon's distraction because it cost me £7 used) a final story is set up for a game/movie/whatever that presumably would have taken place after all other entries in the Compilation and capped everything off.

They've still got time. I remember that they said once that they wanted the Compilation to go on until VII's 20th anniversary.

hatmoza

I can see how some of you are frustrated from the lack of knowledge or information that could explain how Mako technology made it to FF7. But the bottom line is that X-2 and VII are connected through Shinra.

I mean it is for the fans to agree or disagree with. Your opinion isn't absolute nor does it eclipse other possibilities. No need to go in an all cap rage. The ultimania threw us a bone and we speculate. That's all we can really do.

Suairyu

Banned
I can see how some of you are frustrated from the lack of knowledge or information that could explain how Mako technology made it to FF7. But the bottom line is that X-2 and VII are connected through Shinra.

I mean it is for the fans to agree or disagree with. Your opinion isn't absolute nor does it eclipse other possibilities. No need to go in an all cap rage. The ultimania threw us a bone and we speculate. That's all we can really do.
It's not a lack of information thing. Its that, unless text within VII is to be retconned, it's impossible, or at least highly improbable.

Mako power is a really recent technology as of VII. By extension, that makes Shinra a recent company. So President Shinra and his son would have to be aliens. Which wasn't the case.

Creators can be wrong about their own products. If the Ultimania said Cloud was actually 40 years old and a woman, it wouldn't make it right.

So either the Ultimania is wrong, or you accept it as a retcon that seriously changes the context of the story to the point of deeply affecting the thematic core and plot. I know which option ill pick.

I mean, Alien Ressurection has a line that says Weyland Yutani was bought by Walmart. Nobody accepts that as canon as it doesn't actually work.

^ I think something similar was said in Dirge of Cerberus regarding the airship as well?

But it doesn't gel. Are you telling me that the Shin-ra company has existed for hundreds of years? Seems a stretch alright.

Oops, I was thinking of DC, not AC.

Anyway, the Ultimania doesn't say that the Shin-ra company is hundreds of years old; only that the character Shinra made some research on Vegnagun and the Farplane that was NOT successful in his time but that would eventually inspire his descendants to exploit Mako energy.

Nojima: "After quitting the Gullwings, Shinra received enormous financial support from Rin, and began trying to use Vegnagun to siphon Mako Energy from the Farplane. But, he is unable to complete the system for utilizing this energy in his generation, and in the future, when traveling to distant planets becomes possible, the Shin-Ra Company is founded on another world"

Top Bottom