• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

4K Support : could it have a influence on which Next Gen Console you buy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camp Lo

Banned
Down the line, I felt like I was being left behind because I didn't have an HDTV and I was right but a lot of games not aren't even supporting 1080p so I don't think it will be much of an influence this time around. I think if I upgrade, it will be from my 720p to 1080p

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
nah it seems everyone cept apple and companies tht make professional screens even delve into making higher res products. Most are content with some form of 1080 or 1200P. It used to be the race to the top but now its basically everyone conforming with the norm. It would be nice if the old TN Matrix/1080P stasis was broken but im not holding my breath. I hear youc an pick up some nice IPS screens from S.Korea these days for a reasonable 300 but then again thats S.Korea so dunno about shippng/availability. All in all 4k seems like a distant dream right now, one not even worth considering as an option for consoles that will be here in 12 to 18 months.

D-e-f-

Banned
lol, I don't even have a 1080p TV yet.

this.

plus hardly any game would support it on a console anyway outside of a few exclusives and downloadables.

4k is not the future. not for a long time. the world hasn't even moved on to full HD yet everywhere.

Gowans

I'm a rez whore, I have a huge monitor and MacBook Retina but 4K is years away.

£20,000 for this one http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/2012-08/30/ifa-2012-sony-4k

I'll be happy with 1080p 60fps standard next gen (if we get that)

Absolutely not for your previously (and obvious) stated facts on the cost of those TVs.

Also, I don't know a person who cares about 720p and 1080p. If it were not listed on a spec sheet or box, you wouldn't know the god damn difference.

depends of the viewing distance from your screen and size of the TV but true!

PS your show is AWESOME.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
There seems to be some confusion over 4K output support, which is highly debatable if 4K will ever be successful, and a GPU that has the power to generate 4K. 4K output is a cheap support and won't really affect the price of the console, however, a GPU powerful enough to generate 4K would. However, a GPU of that caliber would also be able to handle higher frame rate, particles, textures, and so on and so on at a lower resolution like say 1080p. Something everyone in this thread so far says they want.

So yes, we should all want a console with a GPU powerful enough to handle 4K if we want more games at 1080p and a solid frame rate. Gaming PCs already support this, and we should also expect the next Xbox and Playstation to be able to do this as well.

4K won't be utilized by games at all. The few uses for that resolution is that it makes 3D in 1080p on passive displays possible, you can display high res photographs, you can upscale Blu-Ray movies in 1080p to 4K to increase the visual quality (just like upscaled DVDs look better on 1080p screens). And perhaps there's going to be a successor to Blu-Ray for 4K movies.

The real reason for its existence is to sell new TVs of course.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

History? How long it took them to actually make a digital switch? How no network broadcasts are being done at 1080p? Common sense?

If television networks are not forced to change, they WILL NOT change.

And I highly doubt we'll see another government mandate switching over to 4K and making people buy new TVs for decades.

vazel

Banned
4k is sure to come standard on PS4 to spearhead the new 4k BD format. I'm eager to see a lot of WB and Universal movies remastered in 4k as a lot of their 2k masters are bad. So even on a 1080p display we'll see an improvement with some 4k remasters.

4K only starts to become interesting at screen sizes above 60". I'm not planning on owning a display of that size, 1080p or otherwise, anytime soon.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I don't think 4K will hit the consumer market before next-gen even ends.

Games won't support it. But hell, I figure 1080p will be about as standard as 720p this gen, that is, a lot of games will be lower and upscale. Some of your simpler, artsy games might do it. Nothing to view it on, but hey, the SSAA would be nice.

amar212

4K won't be utilized by games at all. The few uses for that resolution is that it makes 3D in 1080p on passive displays possible, you can display high res photographs, you can upscale Blu-Ray movies in 1080p to 4K to increase the visual quality (just like upscaled DVDs look better on 1080p screens). And perhaps there's going to be a successor to Blu-Ray for 4K movies.

This 1000X

/thread

DaBuddaDa

It will not influence this round of consoles as 4K (or something similar) will be at mass market prices (thus affordable to me) by around 2018 when this new generation is heading into its 5th year.

2MF

Actually they are going for 8K in 2020.

Who's "they"?

I support a previous poster's advice to actually look at what 4K TVs cost now compared to 1080p TVs in 2005. You'll certainly conclude that it's too early for games to support 4K.

OKAY, everyone here wants 1080p games at a solid frame rate next generation. So how are console manufacturers going to achieve that? With a more powerful CPU and GPU right? Well I got news for everyone in this thread a GPU that supports 1080p games at 30 and 60 FPS with more detailed textures, more particles etc. will also support 4K games under ideal circumstances.

Much like this gen, Battlefield 3 on the consoles isn't going to run at 1080p but a more simplistic game like Pixeljunk Eden or Limbo would be able to. 4K support does not equal 4K games outside of maybe some graphically simplistic download games, but it gives enough overhead power to enable more games are able to run at 1080p.

PCs already do this, and how many 4K games do you see on the Steam? Yet how often do PC games run at higher resolution and frame rate than their console counterparts?

GavinGT

Banned
I'm currently sitting about 8 feet away from my 42" 1080p set, which is outside of the optimal 1080p viewing distance as it is. To properly use a 4k set, I'd have to get a drastically larger screen or sit much closer to the set. Neither of those are things I particularly want to do. Besides, my room wouldn't accommodate either solution.

4k support will only be for movies and then you will need a very expensive tv. No thxs, I just got my 50 inch 1080p plasma last year. Won't be upgrading for a long time.

Mung

It probably would in several years, IF the tvs are cheap by then...
But I'm an early adopter anyway, so wouldn't make an difference really.

tkscz

No. A 4k tv will be way too expensive, not to mention that the other two next gen consoles will probably $400 or up. Resolution is no where near important enough to spend $4,000 plus dollars on.

iplay5150

Just bought a 60" Sharp Aquos not too long ago, so... no. I'll end up buying all three systems anyway, but 4K doesn't factor into that at all.

I have a 110" screen and 1080p projector in my home theatre. I could happily use some extra resolution but it is definitely overkill for 50" tv's and lower.

That said, I'd rather better graphics and a smooth frame rate. Now if ps4 could play 4k blurays should they ever come out, I would be mighty interested. If the next generation of consoles lasts as long as this gen, 4k may one day be important. For now it's mostly gimmick.

2MF

Hmmmmm how many (Edit: NATIVE) 1080p 30 fps games did you see this gen?

He forgot to mention that they opt for more effects, polygons and easier coding before they try to increase the res.

A rough guide to console developer priorities:

everything else > resolution > framerate

ascii42

I have a 720p TV, so no. I'm not getting a new TV until this one breaks. It's a DLP with over 8000 hours on the bulb. I'm impressed I haven't even had to replace it yet.

twofold

4k is just a marketing plot designed to get people to buy televisions that they don't need. It'll be useful for passive 3d, but that's about it.

Since I don't care about 3d, I won't likely be investing in a 4k television unless it has better contrast ratio and colour accuracy than my current plasma.

Xiaoki

Someone should time capsule this thread and resurrect it 5 years from now for some good laughs.

Do I plan on upgrading my 1080p TV in the next 8 years? Not really. Will I? I dont know, I cant predict the future. And if I could I wouldnt use it on stupid stuff like this, I'd abuse it to become a billionaire.

Yeah. It would be a difference. Personally I'm hoping PS4 and 360 are built with future proofing and scalability in mind

What I mean is while PS4 will likely only support 1080p for its major games for example, I'd love to see PS5 be able to scale those same games up to 4k

RedSwirl

Unless I end up REALLY caring about playing 4K movies, no. No game will render at 4K. Well, a few XBLA and PSN games might do it, but I doubt it. As far as I know PC graphics cards don't even output 4K signals yet.

It certainly does influence me, not so much because of 4k games (there won't be many games, if any at all), but because of the side-effects like the necessary BDXL drive, h.265 support and better HDMI signal processors with high bandwidth to enjoy 1080p 3D content at 48 fps or more. And I certainly will buy a 4k 3D TV, as soon as I can afford one (~ 1000 Euro).

Unless I end up REALLY caring about playing 4K movies, no. No game will render at 4K. Well, a few XBLA and PSN games might do it, but I doubt it. As far as I know PC graphics cards don't even output 4K signals yet.

There are a few cards that can do this. There just aren't any games that can. However, these cards are very powerful and would chew through processing 1080p at a high frame rate for any game up to this point PC or otherwise. Which is the point I have been trying to make.

hachi

Banned

Correct. And that's what I find so irritating about it.

It's much like the resurgence of 3D at the theatre and the related push for 3D sets: it had absolutely nothing to do with technological advances that suddenly made 3D more viable than before, but on the contrary was nothing more than an industry's (well, two; cinema and TV) attempt to shore up flagging sales after the HD transition, which left the theaters losing money from reduced visits and the home TV market sitting atop a flatline of sales after the initial replacements were made for most consumers. The solution naturally was to create a new tier for more expensive ticket sales while also introducing a new must-have type of TV set. Fortunately the latter fell flat on its face, though the former has sadly persisted much longer than I expected.

The television makers are going to have to accept that the boom of HD replacements--when consumers across the board tossed out their SD sets over a span of 5-ish years--will never be repeated, and both 3D and higher resolutions (4k) are not sufficient to matter to consumers like the SD->HD transition did, when your fat tube set could be replaced by a noticeably crisper flat screen that better suited every living room.

drexplora

lol everyone sounds broke..

We squeel at the insane pixel density on devices like the vita and HMZ-t1, aint this the same thing on a larger scale?

I could agree that its too early for that today, but i think theres more then just one reason for going 4k with next gen consoles.

I guess part of the issue is that devs having access to higher resolutions dosent mean theyll use them, as resolution is something frequently degraded for a few more fps or 3d.
Dont see too many games today @ 1080p!
and i guess part of that is the consoles not having the power to push todays games at 1080p without some degredation.

Comes down to the hardware.

EDIT: and if money was no factor but i could only choose 1 of the next gen consoles, i could see myself gravitate torwards the nextgen console with better tech&features.
Its too early to tell but im open to the idea of 4k being factor in deciding

by the way i choose to opt out of this current generation of flat tv's.
they have gotten alot better with time, but seeing an LCD in person for the first time back in the early 2000's had a lasting negative effect on me.

Ive got a pretty basic Sony trinitron pc monitor, 17in, which has served me since i first got it! And about a year or 2 ago i upgraded my Sony CRT tv (bought new) which was also a pretty basic trinitron set (480p w/ component max) about 23in to a, Sony trinitron xbr960, 34in widescreed 1080i crt :)
Next gen tv FTW

Panasonic's 145-inch 8K PDP

You can hear the guy say that 8K broadcast is starting in 2020 in this video & it's also been said elsewhere.

We still don't get 1080p broadcast in 2012. Are people really so optimistic to think we'll be at 8K in eight years?

1IHBE.png

I mean, it would be terrific if it happened. But I don't believe it for a second.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom