• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS3 CFW & Homebrew: Scene Revived! -- morality arguments elsewhere

Im downloading Multiman 4.04.03 right now. I had ver 1.2 or something crazy like that. I had tried updating it before but it always crashed so i kept going back to the version that worked. Of course i just tried playing a disc game (F1 '06) and trying to quit the game the system froze on me. I'm very sure i have the app_home folder so its good news if im still on homebrew!

Thanks for the input.

Thats super old multiman, you will need at least 4.08

Well I just updated to Rogeros 4.30 CFW, Are there any lists of apps that have been updated for it specifically an ftp app? Got some movies I ripped from some blue rays that I want to move from my pc's hard drive to my ps3.

Well I just updated to Rogeros 4.30 CFW, Are there any lists of apps that have been updated for it specifically an ftp app? Got some movies I ripped from some blue rays that I want to move from my pc's hard drive to my ps3.

Black box was update for 4.21. I'll test it on 4.30 and see if it works.

Edit: Black Box for 4.21 works on Rogero 4.30 so you should be good to go.

Gonna take the jump to 4.30 with my phat to finally download some PSN purchases I've been dying for, might even hook up some PSN+ action if it looks like we're good for awhile.

Rogero seems to have a pretty good track record with these firmwares on the non-slim models, so I am not worried too much. I'm on his 3.55 V3.7, so it should be a smooth sailing.

Wish me luck!

Updated to 3.55 OFW no problems. Went ahead with Rogero as per N.A.'s links and instructions. Everything went well except now on the last part, whilst installing 4.21 i have a black screen after the 100% for about 2mins now. What to do? Did i just brick my system? i'm afraid to touch it. Fuck!

EXACT same thing that happened to me. Now I have a black screen only no matter how many times I turn on or off the console and it won't let me enter recovery mode (only turns off or on).

It sounds like from your later posts you are at least able to see something other than a black screen. How did you manage to do that? I still see a black screen only no matter what I try.

Yes I manually tried rebooting the system many many times. How do I get it to enter recovery mode?

Gonna take the jump to 4.30 with my phat to finally download some PSN purchases I've been dying for, might even hook up some PSN+ action if it looks like we're good for awhile.

Rogero seems to have a pretty good track record with these firmwares on the non-slim models, so I am not worried too much. I'm on his 3.55 V3.7, so it should be a smooth sailing.

Wish me luck!

Good luck. You'll need it. I had a phat too and it seems to have bricked from the update despite me following the instructions (no disc in drive either).

I would wait till there is a reliable guide on ps3brew that you can follow to the T if I were you.

jediyoshi

Downgraded from rogero 4.21 1.09 to rogero 3.55, worked out fine. All updates working was nice, but didn't really want to lose screenshot functionality.

beanman25

Considering purchasing a console with CFW on it already. I need a PS3 for the living room anyhow. What would be a good price to ask for on craigslist? $150-200?

Considering purchasing a console with CFW on it already. I need a PS3 for the living room anyhow. What would be a good price to ask for on craigslist? $150-200?

Probably more than that, they are a bit hard to come by these days after the massive drought where you couldn't play any new games prompting a lot of people to update.

Damn so 4.30 rogero is out already?

Someone asked a good question not too many posts ago:

what does PSN show you are playing to your friends when using multiman? I think I recall a while back that the multiman ID was named after some popular title so it would show you are playing call of duty or something but I can't verify if this is true.

Are we at a level yet in the scene where Sony just cannot detect we are on cfw?

EXACT same thing that happened to me. Now I have a black screen only no matter how many times I turn on or off the console and it won't let me enter recovery mode (only turns off or on).

It sounds like from your later posts you are at least able to see something other than a black screen. How did you manage to do that? I still see a black screen only no matter what I try.

Yes I manually tried rebooting the system many many times. How do I get it to enter recovery mode?
I don't know if this is the case for the Rogero firmware updates, but I remember for kmeaw that my PS3 video settings were reset to SD and the HDMI port was no longer activated; I had to connect a composite (not component, but composite) cable via the Multi-AV port and then switch HDMI back on afterwards in Display Settings. That's the only AV cable that a PS3 ships with so you should have one somewhere.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just updated from CFW 3.55 (Kmeaw) to CFW 4.30 (Rogero) without any issues. "Fat" PS3; SKU CECHH02.

Tiduz

Eurogaime
lol im on rogero v9, tried to update to 4.30, when i go into recovery it says no fw found and it deletes it, i am 100% sure it is on there, tried 3 times and it just deletes the whole folder.

but v9 works fine so i aint even mad.

lol im on rogero v9, tried to update to 4.30, when i go into recovery it says no fw found and it deletes it, i am 100% sure it is on there, tried 3 times and it just deletes the whole folder.

but v9 works fine so i aint even mad.

first you'll need to downgrade to 3.55 cfw nocheck, then activate qa flags, and finally you can upgrade to 4.30 cfw

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
It has been almost six hours since I installed CFW 4.30 and I'm still downloading GT5 patches. PS3 Games Updates needs to be updated with multi-threaded downloads.

djblue89

Ugh.... When is Rogero releasing a DEX cfw ???

Oh well, back to playing NFS and Assassins creed 3 on 4.21 DEX until then lol

Well I updated to rogero 4.30 from rogero 3.55 v3.7 perfectly. Bought mahvel origins and 3rd strike online. Woooooo!

Ps cfw DEX updates are done for the foreseeable future. Anything above 4.25 isn't working after conversion anymore.

Mitama

Why are you guys updating to Rogero 4.30? Do you all have hardware flashers? I'm asking because 4.30 can still brick some fat consoles. Rogero's a joke. :/

Uh oh, this cant be good. Turned on my PS3 just now and it was on the boot up screen but it had a very slow wave animation.

Turned it off, then back on and then I get a message saying the file system has been corrupt and needs to be restored, which it's doing now.

EDIT - Phew it's ok. That was rather ass pinching.

Multiman doesn't work though. I assume I need to download the latest version and also re rip all the original eboots from disk and overwrite the modified ones?

test_account

XP-39C²
I think maybe there always be some random chance of bricking. Even OFW PS3 have had some random errors a few times, where Sony put out optional firmware update to fix this. I guess it will be possible to make it very stable though, like 99.9%, but i'm not sure about 100% concidering the different PS3 hardware models.

Ugh.... When is Rogero releasing a DEX cfw ???

Oh well, back to playing NFS and Assassins creed 3 on 4.21 DEX until then lol
Are those games out yet?

Why are you guys updating to Rogero 4.30? Do you all have hardware flashers? I'm asking because 4.30 can still brick some fat consoles. Rogero's a joke. :/
I actually read a post on some website saying that rogero steals these cfw's from some chinese hacking team and just adds his name to the boot screen to make it look like he did all the work lol

I wont be updating from 4.21 yet. I expect a new OFW to hit soon from Sony due to a few issues plaguing people on 4.30 and I'm sure they're going to attempt to somehow fill a few holes in the security with all that's gone on the past week.

Tess3ract

Banned
I updated from 3.55 Kmeaw to 4.30 rogero no issues

Well I have an issue with it being in demonstration mode but other than that...

His stuff never bricked anything of mine, and I wanted to make sure I could buy some PSN games. Every time we have access to purchasable PSN content, I miss the boat. I had games I've been really wanting to buy, and if it bricked, I told myself it was going to be time to purchase a new console and just stick with OFW from now on.

Glad to say it worked without a hitch upgrading from Rogero 3.55 V3.7 to Rogero 4.30. Showtime and multiMAN working perfectly.

RetroArch = awesome. I justified running 3rd strike on the FBA libretro after purchasing 3rd strike online from PSN as a test. It's awesome.

I hope they get a good MAME libretro working well. I guess there is an officially unofficial mame4all 0.37b5 libretro that I wanna try.

Why console makers don't allow HOMEBREW software while setting up security to block piracy only blows my mind. There is so much more added value to a platform that is able to play retail games AND homebrew.

Shame the dirty pirates give it such a bad name/reputation. Speaking of which, how much are you enjoying AC3 and NFS djblue89? Ooops. smh

test_account

XP-39C²
NFS: MW
October 30 (US), November 1 (AU), November 1 (EU), November 2 (UK)

AC:3
October 30 (US), October 31 (EU),
Thanks :) didnt know that the games where out already tomorrow.

Why console makers don't allow HOMEBREW software while setting up security to block piracy only blows my mind. There is so much more added value to a platform that is able to play retail games AND homebrew.
Sony did with OtherOS. There are some emulators for it. But after the Geohot incident, such feature will most likely never be included again. The closest thing will probably be something like XNA (Xbox 360) and Playstation Mobile.

anyone have aldostools? he took down his shit
Took them down for good? If so, why?

Tess3ract

Banned
No idea. Drama looks like.

Some of my games I need the unmodified eboots, shit. Now I have to dig my disks out of storage :'(

Meesh

Just bought a ps3 and updated to sys 4.3(doh), does the 4.3 jailbeak pup i've been finding all over actually fix this or is it a brick situation. Nervous as heck here to try it right now without some success stories :) And whats this talk of hardware flashers and do i need them?

test_account

XP-39C²
No idea. Drama looks like.

Some of my games I need the unmodified eboots, shit. Now I have to dig my disks out of storage :'(
Ah ok, try checking psx-scene.com or something. I think they host some tools.

Just bought a ps3 and updated to sys 4.3(doh), does the 4.3 jailbeak pup i've been finding all over actually fix this or is it a brick situation. Nervous as heck here to try it right now without some success stories :)
The 4.30 jailbreak pup will only work if you're on firmware 3.55 or lower. If you updated to official 4.30 firmware, then you need a hardware flasher to downgrade.

But did you buy a brand new PS3? If so, then there is a big chance that the original firmware was higher than 3.55, then i dont think a downgrade is possible at all.

Meesh

Ah ok, try checking psx-scene.com or something. I think they host some tools.

The 4.30 jailbreak pup will only work if you're on firmware 3.55 or lower. If you updated to official 4.30 firmware, then you need a hardware flasher to downgrade.

But did you buy a brand new PS3? If so, then there is a big chance that the original firmware was higher than 3.55, then i dont think a downgrade is possible at all.
snaaaaaap...its a new one :( drat!

Just bought a ps3 and updated to sys 4.3(doh), does the 4.3 jailbeak pup i've been finding all over actually fix this or is it a brick situation. Nervous as heck here to try it right now without some success stories :) And whats this talk of hardware flashers and do i need them?

If your PS3 originally shipped new with firmware version 3.55 or lower, you can use a hardware flasher to go back to 3.55 and then upgrade to CFW.

If not, you're stuck for now.

There is no software solutions to get CFW for anything above 3.55 at the moment.

Meesh

If your PS3 originally shipped new with firmware version 3.55 or lower, you can use a hardware flasher to go back to 3.55 and then upgrade to CFW.

If not, you're stuck for now.

There is no software solutions to get CFW for anything above 3.55 at the moment.
Cool, thanks for the replies :)

Cth

Has anyone who was on 3.55 and upgraded tested to see if the issue with new blu-rays not playing is fixed (discs would require you to upgrade the firmware to play them)

Just a reminder that we have a thread here (Playstation 3 XMB Art: An Ongoing HD Image Collection) which collects the 1080p art that shows up in the XMB when you highlight a game disc. A lot of this art can't be found in any other place, and only people on CFW can extract these images, so it basically falls to those of us who visit this thread to grow the collection.

To find the 1080p PNG, just go to where you have the game saved, go into the PS3_GAME folder, and then you'll see the image there with the name PIC1.PNG. Some games will have a few different PNGs saved in that folder, and you should have a quick look at each, but the PIC1.PNG is generally the 1080p image (the rest are usually smaller overlays such as game logos, etc.).

Note that you can get the 1080p XMB art from a game even if you can't load it, so if you're on 3.55 CFW and have a game which hasn't been patched to run on 3.55 yet, you can still copy the game to a hard drive and then copy the PIC1.PNG file easily (even if you can't launch the game).

To see if a game has been added to the collection yet, just check the index:

It would be nice to see more games added ;)

gtmax

Not sure, to be honest. At first i got a message saying my system was corrupt and it would take 3hrs to restore. I freaked and figured i'd lost everything. I left the system on all night and when i woke up it was off. I turned it on and to my surprise i actually saw the Rogero logo to indicate that i was on CFW. BUT, once i tried going into MM, or playing Duplex releases from the XBM, it wouldn't work.

I can play a ps3 game from disc, but quitting it through pressing the "ps" button the system gets frozen. I updated to MM 4.xxx whatever and when i click on it i get the little stars in the background but it stays like that. I can still play music or view pics in XMB so i'm not completely paralyzed.

I can confirm i am on 4.21 Rogero. I can turn my system on, get an error message saying the system experienced a critical error. I choose to ignore it and then it takes me to my profiles from where i can log in. After that its the aforementioned.

My question is now, and i'm gonna try in a bit; can i simply go from here (4.21) to 4.30 Rog? When i tried going from 4.21Rog >3.55OFW, i got an error message. Next i'm thinking going from 4.21Rog to CFW3.55. I can get latest MM but will that really solve the problem? Also, i hate to ask but the MM folder has a bunch of stuff in it. Do i need to transfer everything to ps3 via USB stick, or just the .pkg file containing the MM specific file? Or am i supposed to use FTP to do the transfer?

Ironically, me and you are fucked now since Duplex is releasing an eboot for virtually every god damn new game that has been released. I'd be perfectly fine had i stayed at 3.55 Kmeaw...

Rhindle

Has anyone who was on 3.55 and upgraded tested to see if the issue with new blu-rays not playing is fixed (discs would require you to upgrade the firmware to play them)
Yes, the Bluray keys are updated, so newer discs now work.

That was actually the main reason I went through with the CFW update. I was about to drop $150 on a new bluray player because the number of unplayable discs was starting to pile up.

gtmax

Got the latest version of Multiman. Now i can actually go into it and view all my backed up games. I put a disc in drive, selected a game that was previously working and didn't have an eboot (Ferrari Challenge, i ripped it myself), but right now i'm stuck watching the little sprites that come up when you first start up the ps3. So close...

Any way to downgrade from 4.21 back to 3.55Kmeaw?

edit: im getting Rogero CEX4.30 and hoping i can go from 4.21>4.30 and everything will work from there. though before that i might try downgrading using a downgrader 'pup' and what not. I'm a retard when it comes to this stuff but somehow i always end up getting it done.

Edit Edit: Do i need a BDEmu? I installed a 3.55 BDemu. Is there a 4.21 one?

Top Bottom