• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Winter of Anime 2013 |OT -5| This is stupid, kayos90 sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toriko 90 (FuniHulu)

Really good variety of cards for this game. All these poisonous and inedible ingredients, wonder if somehow they can make antidote for them or Komatsu can show his skills. Really good arc this is.

Jojo 12 & 13: With the small fries out, I'm looking forward to seeing true fighting. This anime is getting better every episode.

Diebuster 06: Well, I went through it. Let's forget that Gunbuster ever had a sequel, that would be better.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
lol

This is just another example of nerd culture dividing itself. Let the nerds fight each other over Marvel vs DC while all the normal people laugh at nerds as a whole!

I prefer this to Otaku

No way Zel, our tastes are just too godlike. :D

Nakama! :D

No, the unenlightened aren't able to see the higher dimension our tastes reside in. They have been mislead by the parlor tricks of a false Buddha.

D:

Kazzy

[Neon Genesis Evangelion] - 12

1aQ1uhG.jpg
DFYBbpK.jpg

Wd6xSul.jpg
PijtCwr.jpg

Well, it's clear that things are now becoming much more overt, and there is no denying the slew of religious references. That's not to say that they weren't present from the very beginning, it's just that I don't remember them being addressed in such a direction fashion. Shinji's dialogue about the "Angels" and other little details make it clear that we are now supposed to be establishing some thematic links ourselves. I know Japan has a weird relationship with religious iconography, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't done purposefully.

An Angel strikes at a time when NERV isn't at full strength (but then again, when is it?), as Gendo has travelled to the South-Pole. The most interesting scene was probably reserved for the little we got to see of that location, now obliterated and nothing more than a morbid reminder of the 2nd impact. Which also raises the question of what exactly they were there to retrieve, judging by the object covered on the ships deck.

This also serves up some interesting dialogue regarding the theories on the 2nd impact itself. Gendo outright states that he perceives man's right to absolute; whereas there is also the insinuation that line of thinking was the cause of that catastrophe to begin with. If there were already ethical implications as to the nature of the Evangelion, this surely exacerbates all of that. Again, religious overtones here, with the prior event being mythologized into some sort of biblical occurrence. Kasuragi's flashback at the opening of the episode certainly seems to lend credence to this, at least in the imagery.
Divine retribution, perhaps?

And speaking of which, Kasuragi gets promoted! About time they took notice, because she's been on top of things since the first episode. This also serves to highlight the selfishness of Shinji and Asuka, as they never noticed! Though Misato seems ambivalent about the whole thing herself, after revealing her involvement in NERV is altogether more personal. The revelation then leads the pilots to ruminate on their reasons for doing what they do, Asuka wants validation, Shinji wants his Father's acknowledgement and Rei...nope! It is telling that there is the first instance they all acknowledge the precarious nature of their jobs, even more so that they barely hesitate in offering themselves up after being briefed that they are about to undertake a literal suicide mission.
Which went swimmingly.

This episode seemed to be picking up the main thread of the narrative again as the stakes certainly felt real here, and harked back to the underlying dread of the earlier episodes.

We should be far enough into the season that most people have probably finished adding/dropping shows and by now have a complete schedule (with the exception of DokiDoki, but whatever).

How many shows are you all watching on a weekly basis? If you're participating in a backlog season and watching older shows weekly, count those too.

13 normal shows and 2 short shows here.

Watching (this season) - 10
Amnesia
Bakumatsu Gijinden Roman
Straight Title Robot Anime
Cuticle Detective Inaba
Hakkenden
Maoyu
Senyuu
Tomako Market
ZKC: The Unlimited - Hyobu Kyousuke
Ishida & Asakura

Watching (Continuing) - 20
Bakuman 3
Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter
Fairy Tail
Ginga e Kickoff
Hunter x Hunter
Ixion Saga DT
JJBA
Kingdom
Little Busters
Magi
Naruto Shippuden
One Piece
Psycho Pass
Robotics;Notes
Naruto SD
Saint Seiya Omega
Pet Girl of Sakurasou
Blast of Tempest
Toriko
From the New World

Backlog Watch (5)
Cardfight!! Vanguard Asia Circuit
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Gintama
Humanity Has Declined
Kids on the Slope

Rewatching (5)
Aquarion Evol
Binbougami Ga
Fate/Zero 2
Jormungand Perfect Order
My Little Monster

So I guess that puts me at, at least 40 each week ignoring my disc anime (next is xamd, tonight or tomorrow).

Thoraxes

Tamako Market 03 - 04

IDu8o.gif

Holy fuuuuuuuuuccccckkkkkk

Also Midori was totally breaking the 4th wall at the end of episode 04.

And now that i've gotten used to it more, i'm pretty sure the music for the OP and ED of Tamako Market are some of the best tunes they've chosen in a while. They have some light pop feeling to them, but the electronic kits in the ED are really good and catchy.

Kazzy

Tamako Market

And now that i've gotten used to it more, i'm pretty sure the music for the OP and ED of Tamako Market are some of the best tunes they've chosen in a while. They have some light pop feeling to them, but the electronic kits in the ED are really good and catchy.

Yeah, they definitely grow on you.

BTOOOM! 1-5

Hey, this is... actually pretty decent. Beyond the distasteful and frustrating use of fanservice, every episode is keeping me engaged. I do like the core concept of the different kinds of bombs -- it makes the encounters more tactical and interesting. And it isn't just straight-up disgusting like Gantz, which is nice too.

Thoraxes

Yeah, they definitely grow on you.

I'm a big sucker for good instrumentation, so when there's pieces that really work well they grow on me like nothing else. I initially was a little skeptical of both, but now they're both really fun and i'm definitely going to buy the OP and ED.

I agree. Its horribly laid out.
Especially since you don't know who anybody is.

That's the fun in the website in that everything is anonymous. You can do anything from thread shitting to praising the (objectively to everyone else) worst girl in your favorite show. Not to mention some of the sub-communities are really cool there, especially if you have a niche interest. Due to the volume of traffic too, it's much better if you need a time waster rather than a stable community.

Also, you can use simple customizations and plugins to enhance your browsing experience. I find I actually use MORE plugins to facilitate browsing on neogaf than I do 4chan.

And you can totally have (the objectively best girl) Azu-nyan in a witch hat on the side of your screen.

Or do a sing-a-long with some strangers to some quality anime music.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Diebuster 06: Well, I went through it. Let's forget that Gunbuster ever had a sequel, that would be better.
:( BriseFlots is not a true Nonoriri.
[Neon Genesis Evangelion] - 12

Well, it's clear that things are now becoming much more overt, and there is no denying the slew of religious references. That's not to say that they weren't present from the very beginning, it's just that I don't remember them being addressed in such a direction fashion. Shinji's dialogue about the "Angels" and other little details make it clear that we are now supposed to be establishing some thematic links ourselves. I know Japan has a weird relationship with religious iconography, but I'd be surprised if there wasn't done purposefully.
Anno has gone out and publicly say that the only reason the religious iconography is in Eva is "because it looks cool". Please don't think too much about it, for the sake of your own sanity.

Verelios

I'm currently re-watching Escaflowne and it's almost amazing how well it holds up.

The anime this season is...yeah, so I figured going back to the past would be fine. And it was! Escaflowne's a blast, it's animation holds up well, the VA is...tolerable and the music is great. Kind of.

Novid

Banned
today im not a happy man. i love my classics and fist of the north star - is one of them. now understand that i dont buy dbz or naruto games, none of the neptunias hell im still iffy about raiden and sunny's adventures in the future~! plat my boyz, but motherfucker how the hell you gonna tell the story AFTER Solid Snake son?

so i go to game stop during lunch hours... talk the cashier. they aint happy because XBox 3 will not have used games and Sony may or may not do the same (if they learned everything from what happend in SFXT they will allow used games...trust and believe son they aint going to lower the cost - if anything they will raise it) so i asked if they have the sequal.

"it only came out on the Xbox 360"

what?

They searched the computers and every damn thing. Only disc version is the 360.

Im pissed. come on for real. and I heard NOTHING but long...ass load times for that version.

Good thing Sony gonna keep region free games... for now... but god help us all if they mess that up by the time 4 comes up.

oh and fire grace chan please? everything online held back cause of her.

BluWacky

I'm currently re-watching Escaflowne and it's almost amazing how well it holds up.

The anime this season is...yeah, so I figured going back to the past would be fine. And it was! Escaflowne's a blast, it's animation holds up well, the VA is...tolerable and the music is great. Kind of.

Say whaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Okay, some of the insert songs are a bit dodgy (mmm, Perfect World and I Recommend Instincts) but which bits of Esca's music don't you like?

Leaving aside Kanno's contributions, I wish Hajime Mizoguchi would write more. The last score of his I can remember was Jyu-Oh-Sei; I love when he writes for the cello (he's a cellist, which explains why he's so good at it).

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
today im not a happy man. i love my classics and fist of the north star - is one of them. now understand that i dont buy dbz or naruto games, none of the neptunias hell im still iffy about raiden and sunny's adventures in the future~! plat my boyz, but motherfucker how the hell you gonna tell the story AFTER Solid Snake son?

so i go to game stop during lunch hours... talk the cashier. they aint happy because XBox 3 will not have used games and Sony may or may not do the same (if they learned everything from what happend in SFXT they will allow used games...trust and believe son they aint going to lower the cost - if anything they will raise it) so i asked if they have the sequal.

what?

Im pissed. come on for real. and I heard NOTHING but long...ass load times for that version.

Good thing Sony gonna keep region free games... for now... but god help us all if they mess that up by the time 4 comes up.

It's out on the PS3, but it's digital download only.

Jintor

Death of the Author doesn't prove the opposite in here. Pro-religion people in Eva are even worse than those who make sculptures of naked Evangelions.

You could argue that the fact that it is fancy wallpaper in itself inherently carries a message that was intended to be conveyed, not that that would matter in a death of the author situation of course

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Tamako Market - 05

Go3eVil.png
6Ehu1Jl.png

The beauty and strength of a maiden's heart

Hell yeah Midori! You tell that goofy looking punk that
Tamako is yours and yours alone!

#TeamMidori

Was kinda hoping that Midori would give Tamako a kiss behind one of the buoys. :lol

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
School Days 10

YOooooo....
setting up that rest area room with a camera is just plain fucked man!
Also, in what goddamn school is this kind of thing allowed? (Because I want to go lol.) And then with
Katou
?! Makoto is trippin off all that power. This is not how you play your cards dude. But I guess to be fair
Katou is leaving, and she basically offered it to him in private, so I'll give him a pass there. Besides Katou is DFC and kuudere so who wouldn't??
I also thought it was pretty fucking weird how
they zoomed in on the knives in Katsura's kitchen.
Well anyways, this is getting weird, so I've got a bottle of Jack Daniels here to help me through the next two episodes later tonight.

Oh boy oh boy oh boy

madp

The Light of El Cantare

what?

Now this is something that we can all be mad about. Koei has no faith in their own products anymore and SCEA still has their shitty English VA requirements, and PS3-only Musou fans have been getting screwed by them both for a couple of years now.

SCEE doesn't have the rule and a region-free physical copy is available from Europe for roughly the same price if you want to go that route.

Kazzy

In this case, yeah. There's nothing in Evangelion that points to the religious references being anything other than fancy wallpaper. The show actually doesn't deal with religion that much, if at all.

I was skeptical of this, but I allowed myself to go along for the ride, with the hope that maybe it would be paid off. It's an amusing diversion at least!

We should be far enough into the season that most people have probably finished adding/dropping shows and by now have a complete schedule (with the exception of DokiDoki, but whatever).

How many shows are you all watching on a weekly basis? If you're participating in a backlog season and watching older shows weekly, count those too.

13 normal shows and 2 short shows here.

Watching :
-Love live !
-Sengan kagura
-Zettai karen children : The unlimited
-Doki doki precure
-Minami-ke Tadaima
-Cuticle tantei
-Sasami@ganbaranai
-Maoyuu Maou yuusha
-Mondaijitachi Ga Isekai Kara Kuru Sou desu yo !
-Boku wa tomodachi wa sukunai NEXT
-Vividred Operation
-Kotoura-san
-Tamako market
-Gintama

Watching ( from previous season )
-Ixion Saga
-Hunter X Hunter
-Robotics;Notes
-Sain seya OMEGA
-Zetsuen no tempest
-Initial D
-Shin sekai yori
-Sakurasou no pet no kanojo
-AKB0048

BACKLOG
-FATE/Zero
-Idolmaster

DROPPED
-Maji

LIMBO
-Amnesia
-Senyuu

So 14 new shows , 9 show continuing & 2 backlog to do

:( BriseFlots is not a true Nonoriri.

Sorry to disapoint. But honestly, watching Diebuster was almost painful. The only character than has something that could be interest-rising is
Chiko.png

Others are just plain boring. They even more paper-thin that Senran Kagura's characters which is an outstanding trait of sorts.

Is there a Nonoriri list yet?

Well if there is one, please rattle me out of it.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
but it was dubbed. err...

Wait, what? Didn't expect that because they stopped dubbing their games from Warriors Orochi 3 onward, and that coincided with the transition to digital-only on PS3. Now Koei's just being stupid.

Jarmel

Banned
Sorry to disapoint. But honestly, watching Diebuster was almost painful. The only character than has something that could be interest-rising is http://moe.animecharactersdatabase.com/images/Diebuster/Chiko.png[IMG]

Others are just plain boring. They even more paper-thin that Senran Kagura's characters which [I]is[/I] an outstanding trait of sorts.
[/QUOTE]
You pick the worst character from the show? Lal'C is better than anything in Gunbuster.

Cardfight!! Vanguard Asia Circuit 70 (engDub)
tumblr_mhtstcKSeF1qbxqfpo1_500.png

No cardfight all episode, but at least it was a nice primer on Singapore. Is Singapore really known for Hainanese Chicken Rice? Anyway, I wouldn't mind majoring in Cardfight!! Vanguard Technology and skills, fast tracking kids at the age of 12 to university level studies to be great players sounds so good, wonder if America gets in sometime on this anime.

Christopher Lo, best new character. Want his jacket/hoodie thing so much.
tumblr_mhm5mr1MY01r73y47o1_400.jpg

You pick the worst character from the show? Lal'C is better than anything in Gunbuster.

Lal'c? Hell no. It's like she doesn't have any motivation for anything. She just happens because "stuff". Maybe. Or she's here because "reasons", it's not clear which one. Nobody cares. Not even her.

Jarmel

Banned
Lal'c? Hell no. It's like she doesn't have any motivation for anything. She just happens because "stuff". Maybe. Or she's here because "reasons", it's not clear which one. Nobody cares. Not even her.

She has a clearly defined character arc where she opens up and becomes a better person for it.

Envelope

sealed with a kiss

Lal'C was the only part of DieBuster that could stand up to Gunbuster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom